Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whassup with Hapa??

Anybody know what's going on with Hapa?

First I got word that I needed to pull their Texas gig off the MELE.COM calendar, as it had been cancelled. No reason given.

Then today Wayne Harada sez in his column:
    "Looks like Hapa won't be performing Oct. 26 at the Hawai'i Theatre. No reason cited for the cancellation. ..."

And Nathan Aweau is teaming with Herb Ohta, Jr. for a November mainland west coast tour.

Hmmmm....?

Re: Whassup with Hapa??

Hmm indeed.

First Na Palapalai (according to the grapevine) now Hapa?
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I know Hapa performed at a private gig for Hawaiian Electric on Maui this past weekend. Maybe they're going to be recording? Maybe Barry is going back to NJ for a little while?
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
        Hmm indeed.

First Na Palapalai (according to the grapevine) now Hapa?
        What happened with Na Palapalai???
        Aloha,
        Mokihana

Comment

Holy COW! Uh, I know, off topic, but PLEASE, indulge me!

Auntie Marialani! Hui, tita! Long time no see!

Aloha piha!

Blaine
          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
            Holy COW! Uh, I know, off topic, but PLEASE, indulge me!

Auntie Marialani! Hui, tita! Long time no see!

Aloha piha!

Blaine

get a room you two! haha.
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

NOT to be a rumor monger..but besides HAPA, has anyone heard from dem 3 lovely gals otherwize known as NA LEO??? Last time I heard, they suddenly cancelled a Moms day concert this year, then....nadas. Even the radio DJs dont say much about them xcept to play their music. Maybe like how it is these days with future opportunities, its time to....move on.

Comment

I had heard that Barry was getting married in December and they had recently come off a grueling tour of the mainland and Japan. Perhaps a break is in order? Barry and Nathan did play at the Slack Key Festival at Kapiolani Park a couple weeks back and were joined onstage by Ernie Cruz.

Comment

I don't think we should worry about it too much! Both Nathan and Barry (and Uncle Led and a bunch of others!) played on Herb's new CD, and Herb always asks musicians he respects/admires to join him on tour. (In fact he's in CA right now on a mini-tour, and David Kamakahi and Jon Yamasato have joined him for that one.) Plus Herb and Nathan both are releasing new CDs (woo hoo!!!), so it's a GREAT fit for a tour. I just wish I could go!

As for Hapa, seems like they've been touring almost non-stop for months and months, and they have a lot of mainland dates scheduled well into next year. There hasn't been any mention of any of them being cancelled, so... I'm not worried!

Malama pono kakou!

Comment

zztype -- aloha!!!!! So nice to see you here! I lurk weekly (weakly?) and post rarely.

As for Na Leo Pilimehana, they've got a new Christmas CD releasing soon. With family commitments (plenny kids between those 3 wonderful mommies!), and Angie's new-found 2nd career as an actress (uiha!), they're doing a good job of filling up their days. Hopefully music is just on the back-burner...to be resurrected when time and personal commitments allow.

And Na Palapalai...last I heard, Kehau and Kuana were both living on Hawai`i island again, which makes rehearsals for the group kinda difficult. Rumors are rampant as always, yet the trio still shows up here and there for gigs. Ah, those awesome falsetto singers!!

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Maria View Post

And Na Palapalai...last I heard, Kehau and Kuana were both living on Hawai`i island again, which makes rehearsals for the group kinda difficult. Rumors are rampant as always, yet the trio still shows up here and there for gigs. Ah, those awesome falsetto singers!!
                      Kehau's been on Oahu a number of times recently as I'd see her every week. Kuana I haven't seen in months because he never leaves the Big Island anymore, gunfunnit! Keao, according to sources, is working on a solo album.

I've seen them performing as individuals with other musicians in the past year than I've seem the three as "Na Palapalai".
                      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                      We're not here to mess around
                      Boston, you know we love you madly
                      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                      You know we couldn't live without you
                      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

And I'm just wondering why we haven't heard word of them coming to Wolf Trap this year.

I guess between getting married and Barry's mom getting "up there" in years... he's got alot on his plate.

All I know is getting married is all-consuming! hehe... almost 2 years for me and whoooooo that was a full-time job.
                        ~Aloha! Christina~
                        Greek by heritage, Australian by birth, American by chance, Hawaiian at heart.

Comment

Working...
                        X