Suggestions for a laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a laptop

I'm looking for a laptop but am ignorant of what it "should" have. Any suggestions? I don't want it to be too heavy and I want something that I can easily learn to use. I know I should do my homework and research but if someone has any quick tips on what to look for I'd appreciate any and all input.
    And I guess in the price range of $800-$1000. Is that too low? Do laptops come with some applications already installed?
    Retired Senior Member

Re: Suggestions for a laptop

1) What is "too heavy"?
    2) What kind of research do you want to do on it (internet, computer encyclopedia [if anyone still uses those] etc.)

From what I heard, Dell does good notebooks (www.dell.com) and so does emachines (www.emachines.com).

Like a desktop computer, some laptops come preloaded with cheap productivity software, like Microsoft Works (includes MS word, spreadsheet, Encarta, and other low end software). Don't expect the software to be on par with Microsoft Office (only MS word obviously).

For a notebook, $1000 will come with basic features (low end processor, limited memory (probably 128mb), smallish hard drive (probably from 20 to 40gb), etc.) and depending on who you buy from, you might get some software.

If you are shopping around, get one with Microsoft Windows XP Professional Operating System, as it provides better "notebook features" than XP home (the one a desktop would use).
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I presume you mean Windows machines and not Macs? Mac laptops are nice, but for a good one, you're dealing in a whole different price range.

And... I didn't know eMachines did any "good" PCs! They're the way to go, to be sure, to save a few bucks (I've set up more than a few folks with 'em), but I've never met an eMachine that I wasn't afraid of breathing on too hard...

I've used many HP/Compaq notebooks, and have had some great ones and some disasters. Quality wise, I've always liked Toshibas. Right now I'm using a first-generation HP Tablet PC (bought refurbished), and for $1,000, it was just right. I don't even use it with the keyboard anymore... just scribble! I can't believe it's taking Microsoft nearly a decade to get to where the Apple Newton was in 1996.

Prior to that, I was a Sony Vaio addict. I always went for their superslims -- less than 3 pounds, less than an inch thick -- and was very happy to trade off performance for the form factor. I remember sitting on a plane next to someone with a Dell laptop. I marveled at his huge screen, sure, but he marveled at my Vaio when it came time to move around. I just slipped my laptop into the magazine holder in the seatback ahead of me, while he had to go through a whole production of stuffing his into his bag.

Weight is a concern, but it depends on how much you're going to be moving it around. A friend has Dell's 17" beheamoth, and at nearly seven pounds, it's a "laptop" in name only. But, he just leaves it on his desk, or moves it around his house, rather than traveling with it, so it's fine. But if you're like me and what a PC with you all the time - on a plane, in the meeting room, etc. -- then put form factor at the top of your priorities list. You save weight for every port, plug, and device you give up!

You can get a passable laptop for $1,000. But if you want performance or top-level components, expect to pay at least $1,500.

As for installed software, I'd get it separately rather than bundled by the OEM manufacturer, but that's just me. Yes, get XP Pro over XP Home if you have the choice. Try living for a month with a free office suite (OpenOffice.org) before putting down hundreds of bucks for Microsoft Office.

Or, buy used, and have all the software you want waiting! (Not that you should, but...) Just don't try to upgrade, and watch out for corruption... you won't be able to get it back!

Comment

Low-end iBook for $1,100 with a 1GHz processor sounds good to me. And it's a Mac. Sure the RAM is a little low, and the screen's only 12", but still, it's a Mac.

Comment

Guess I should do some research and up my price range. PC World has an article in their latest issue so I'll do the homework...and read! Thanks for all the advice...it helps to hear what people use and for their input.
          Retired Senior Member

Comment

The only reason to go w/ a Mac laptop, is if you don't care about being compatible with a windows-based computer. There are some software that is compatible w/ windows and macs, but mostly someone buys a mac notebook when they want something "different" than a windows based computer.

I haven't been ontop of the mac scene lately, but I'm planning to get a mac laptop when I finish college (it'll be used for music, rather than productivity).
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
              Like a desktop computer, some laptops come preloaded with cheap productivity software, like Microsoft Works (includes MS word, spreadsheet, Encarta, and other low end software). Don't expect the software to be on par with Microsoft Office (only MS word obviously).
              I don't think MS Works includes MS Word. In fact, I have found that this is a problem for budget PC users, because they create MS Works documents at home, then take them to work, try to open them on their office PC which has MS Office, and find that Word doesn't like Works-formatted documents. Why Microsoft doesn't make their two word processors play together better, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                Why Microsoft doesn't make their two word processors play together better, I don't know.
                Probably because they'd rather you pay for Word.

Still, I know my wife's PC from Dell with the base Works package did include Microsoft Word, which surprised me. That was the only "full service" office suite application in the set, though -- no Excel, Powerpoint, etc. So there must be some hybrid packages that OEMs can pass on to customers.

Comment

Aha. MS sells both Works and Works Suite. Works Suite is a bundle which includes a copy of Word.

Comment

Mocha, getting back to your original question... if you plan to use this computer for Internet access, then you'll want to ensure that it's Wi-Fi capable. That way, you can carry it around your house from room to room and still access your Internet connection. Otherwise, you're tethered to one spot for Internet usage.

Comment

This discussion takes me back to 1984 when I was in LA and borrowed a Compaq "Portable" to do 8 months of accounting work for our outfit there. That thing was a dual-floppy, no hard drive, slower-than-molasses monster which probably weighed about 15-20 lbs.

But it did get the work done.
                      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Stopped by Office Depot to look at their shredders then stopped by their laptops...WOW the variety! The SONY Vaio looks neat...and compact...when I was working we used MACS so I am familiar with the setup etc. But there are so many new features, I think I'll look more and ask people what they use and why. The range is sure wide...features are endless! Again, thanks for ALL the input...I'm reading all of the suggestions over and over.
                        Retired Senior Member

Comment

One thing nice about Mac OS X is the TextEdit "program" which can open Word documents. Also, you can save whatever's created with TextEdit with a .doc extension (Word format) which can be opened by anyone else. Of course Word has too many bells and whistles that I never use anyway, I just type a plain-jane documents, so TextEdit does all I need it to. I wish it had been around before I gave money to Microsoft for Office.

Comment

Originally posted by dick
                            One thing nice about Mac OS X is the TextEdit "program" which can open Word documents. Also, you can save whatever's created with TextEdit with a .doc extension (Word format) which can be opened by anyone else. Of course Word has too many bells and whistles that I never use anyway, I just type a plain-jane documents, so TextEdit does all I need it to. I wish it had been around before I gave money to Microsoft for Office.
                            I too would probably just use the computer for basics...my kids say that I tend to have "Cadillac" tastes when I only need "Ford" uses! Please no insult intended for either Caddy or Ford owners.
                            Last edited by Mocha; July 2, 2004, 09:39 AM. Reason: mis spelling
                            Retired Senior Member

Comment

Working...
                            X