Banned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banned

Admin, when a member is banned, how long is he banned and does it mean he can't post but can still read?

So if he creates another username he can start posting again or do you ban the ip address (or whatever the computer's id address is called)?

Re: Banned

I'm no admin, but still curious: Why do you ask?

Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Just nosy. I learned in life if you want to know something and you don't ask, you're the loser. Now if the question was a hurtful one, I wouldn't ask, but in this case, I'd really like to know.

Admin need not answer, I just didn't want this to be another instance where I was curious to know the answer and because I didn't ask, I'd never know the answer. No biggie.

Comment

Originally posted by ploal5333 View Post
        Just nosy.
        Hey, me too. Just being silly on my side, but yeah, the question is interesting.
        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I just didn't want this to be another instance where I was curious to know the answer and because I didn't ask, I'd never know the answer. No biggie.
          But if you did ask, and didn't get an answer, but you still wanted to know, and yet no one would answer, then how would you ever know? Then, would you still want to know?"

Just kidding. When I first read what you said there, I was like, "whuh?'. lol

Seems this BB software has some powerful administrative features. Not sure if it can block IP addresses from accessing HT though. I'm guessing admin will only go as far as banning the user (name), which would still allow them to view HT being not logged in. Which could also be an issue for folks who put certain users on IGNORE. To which you'd still see their posts if you view the site not logged in.

If such is the case, I'm guessing they'd also be able to rejoin with a new screen name.

So waddaya' say, Admin? We want to know. Not that it's a concern to me, just ni'ele like ZZ. lol
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Admin, when a member is banned, how long is he banned and does it mean he can't post but can still read?

So if he creates another username he can start posting again or do you ban the ip address (or whatever the computer's id address is called)?
            I belong to other message boards and people are so desperate to cause trouble after their IP addresses are banned. They go to proxy server sites and register for new accounts that way they can keep posting. Good thing for mods/admin who can ban em right away.
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
              If such is the case, I'm guessing they'd also be able to rejoin with a new screen name.
              That's already happened more than once.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                That's already happened more than once.
                Then can you tell by the personality? You know, certain expressions and such?

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                  Then can you tell by the personality? You know, certain expressions and such?
                  If they keep rejoining because they're on a personal attack towards someone, that would easily be recognized.

Other traits could be punctuation habits. Like always using this....

or not capitalizing the beginning of a sentence.

StuFf lIkE tHAt. <<<--- I can't stand that one!
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

If they keep rejoining because they're on a personal attack towards someone, that would easily be recognized.

Other traits could be punctuation habits. Like always using this....

or not capitalizing the beginning of a sentence.

StuFf lIkE tHAt. <<<--- I can't stand that one!
                    Good to know. I'll have to watch things like that. Just in case.....

Comment

[...]StuFf lIkE tHAt. <<<--- I can't stand that one!
                      I was on an email list with Iz and that's how he typed. Seems like extra work to keep hitting the shift key so often. I think Iz capitalized every other letter! Somehow that typing quirk gave Iz a little extra cyber character!

Comment

Members are sometimes banned temporarily, given a mandatory week or monthlong vacation, usually after several warnings. Off the top of my head, I can think of only a handful of people who've been banned permanently. There is the capability to ban IPs, but as has been noted, it's not a failsafe barrier, so for the most part, even banned users can read the site, just not participate.

Do banned users come back as other users? They have, though they're usually found out. As easy as they say it is to pretend to be someone else online, when it comes to personality disorders, you just can't change who you are inside.

Immediate bans are usually reserved for blatant spammers or trolls, something we generally don't see now except from long dormant accounts, because I'm now moderating every single member joining the site, actually exchanging e-mails with prospective members (something spammers or trolls generally won't bother with or pass).

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                          '...when it comes to personality disorders, you just can't change who you are inside....'
                          Admin, thanks for your response.

Comment

What happened to Manoa?

You know...the one who gave me so much flak when I first came here. I never see him around so much.
                            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Re: What happened to Manoa?

Start here. Scroll down to post #487 and go from there. It's not the full story, but it was the Great Conflagration.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X