• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATM phishing

Wow. Some crooks are really clever.

Re: ATM phishing

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
    Wow. Some crooks are really clever.
    OY! Use only those machines located inside stores!
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Clever as this was, I think you're more likely going to have to worry about an employee at a restaurant with a portable skimmer or a gas station terminal with a card logger than you are a fake ATM cardreader. For me, at least, it'd be inconveinent to use in-store ATMs only. Heck, it could be less safe.

Here's a good article on the practice. Note this section: "There are approximately 360,000 ATMs nationwide. About half of them belong to banks, and the rest are so-called 'nonbank' ATMs in convenience stores, malls, hotel lobbies, airports, etc. ATMs that have swipe readers (you swipe your card through a raised slot) are the easiest to skim. Swipe readers are more likely to be found at nonbank ATMs."

That is, a full-service ATM that has an internal cardreader is harder to skim (although that's what the UTA scammer did).

Besides. If you're as observant and careful around an ATM as you should be, you'd probably notice the difference, either in the slot or in the oddly mounted brochure holder.

Or, be like some bank customers, and just use ATMs so outdated, a scammer would have to be able to make fake parts out of stainless steel for it to match!
      Last edited by pzarquon; June 30, 2004, 05:07 PM.

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of better security for the machines if they're located inside stores. Hopefully an employee would notice if someone was mucking with the machine.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I guess people has to be more aware of their surroundings nowadays.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
            I was thinking more along the lines of better security for the machines if they're located inside stores.
            You obviously haven't been inside a Longs Drugs store lately. Just kidding. Though with a clipboard and a badge around your neck, you can get away with almost anything, anyway.

When it comes to employees in a store with an ATM, it's possible they'll be watching out for ATM users, but it's also possible they'll figure it's not their department. In fact, in a surprising percentage of fraud cases in retail environments, it's an insider that's involved -- a waiter, a cashier, a stocker.

Banks have insider problems, but obviously they're considerably more worried about the users of their ATMs.

Comment

WOW! Is nothing sacred! Thanks to all for the headsup articles and info. I never even think about these things when I use the ATM...maybe that's why I'm not the one who usually gets the cash out! And my husband uses only the ATM's that don't charge!
              Retired Senior Member

Comment

Working...
              X