• Show
Clear All

• couple sues over wrongful twins

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22439270-2,00.html

the cliff notes:
    • Lesbian couple has IVF twins
    • Mother says they requested one baby
    • Doctor being sued for costs of second

somebody help me wrap my brain around this, because every instinct within me would like to throttle the plaintiffs.

pax

Re: couple sues over wrongful twins

Sounds like medical malpractice. Unfortunately, the story doesn't give the doc's explanation - did he actually implant two embryos, when the patient only requested one? If so, why? Hard to judge without knowing his side of the story.

Comment

If anything, the couple owes the Doctor twice as much money.

Comment

I feel no pity for the couple. Having been through fertility programs, I know that it is not feesible to implant just one embryo. Most doctors will suggest 3 or more as most embryos do not take.
        They should be thankful that they have 2 healthy daughters. No wonder doctor costs are rising -- everybody wants to sue!
        So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          Sounds like medical malpractice. Unfortunately, the story doesn't give the doc's explanation - did he actually implant two embryos, when the patient only requested one? If so, why? Hard to judge without knowing his side of the story.
          Per the linked article this is the birth mother's claim. The article didn't state whether the twins were identical or fraternal which, to me, is an important detail.
          The birth mother of the girls, who are now aged three, claims Dr Armellin implanted her with two embryos, when she told him minutes before the IVF procedure in November 2003 that she only wanted one.
          Ooooh Lordy! Since when can a woman complain to a court about pregnancy associated nausea? That certainly isn't specific to a twins pregnancy. Gimme a break!!!
          The women, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, told the ACT Supreme Court today the mother suffered nausea during her pregnancy[...]

Comment

Give one up for adoption.
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Aren't multiple implantations SOP for in-vitro pregnancies?

If only one embryo was implanted, but didn't "take," would she have also sued for that outcome? Mal-practice, ya know!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
                I know that it is not feesible to implant just one embryo. Most doctors will suggest 3 or more as most embryos do not take.
                Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                All we have to go on thus far is the patient's claim that she told the doctor she just wanted one embryo implanted - SOP notwithstanding.
                Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                Per the linked article this is the birth mother's claim.
                As I said, it's hard to make a judgment call (well, for me it is - seems to be easier for others...) without hearing the doctor's perspective. Perhaps the patient did say "just one," mere minutes before the procedure. But perhaps she was already under some sedation at that time, and the doctor was not obligated to follow that instruction. We just don't have enough information here.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post

If only one embryo was implanted, but didn't "take," would she have also sued for that outcome? Mal-practice, ya know!
                  Yes, multiples are SOP. Better chance of not having to repeat an expensive and probably uncomfortable procedure.
                  “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                  http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I am still looking for the video newslink that first alerted me to this story.

I am bothered that this is a "wrongful life" lawsuit. That the woman's deep depression is being blamed on mothering twins, that her partner is also suing for loss of consortium (the bio-mother now suffering by being unable to love, that their relationship is hanging by the hairs). That the fact that they are a lesbian couple has anything to do with the larger issue to me, which is the bio-mother most likely had mental disorders to begin with, has increased mental disorders due to increased responsibilities (which is what motherhood will do to you), and that when these daughters learn of this lawsuit, it will scar them more irreparably than even a lawsuit's earnings could assuage.

Not every person should be a parent, and that has nothing to do with their sexuality. Part of parenthood includes the unexpected and even the devastating, and learning how to roll with it and to find blessings in all.

ugh!

pax

Comment

Geez - so if twins come along the "natural" way can they sue too? But who do they sue? Didn't someone try to sue God recently? Which reminds me of something to do with the China thread. If you have twins in China - what happens? Never mind - I don't want to know.........

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        Per the linked article this is the birth mother's claim. The article didn't state whether the twins were identical or fraternal which, to me, is an important detail.
                        The article did state that the twins were girls so the likeyhood of they being identical is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                          I am bothered that this is a "wrongful life" lawsuit. That the woman's deep depression is being blamed on mothering twins, that her partner is also suing for loss of consortium (the bio-mother now suffering by being unable to love, that their relationship is hanging by the hairs). That the fact that they are a lesbian couple has anything to do with the larger issue to me, which is the bio-mother most likely had mental disorders to begin with, has increased mental disorders due to increased responsibilities (which is what motherhood will do to you), and that when these daughters learn of this lawsuit, it will scar them more irreparably than even a lawsuit's earnings could assuage.
                          Obviously, your opinions are formed on the basis of far more information than what I could get from the link provided. I'm finding it hard to carry my part of the discussion without the same evidence, Counsel.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                            I am still looking for the video newslink that first alerted me to this story.

Not every person should be a parent, and that has nothing to do with their sexuality. Part of parenthood includes the unexpected and even the devastating, and learning how to roll with it and to find blessings in all.

ugh!

I totally agree with you. I just heard a story of a couple who, approximately 9 years ago, underwent fertility treatments. They had two twin boys, identical. Several years later, they decided to do it again and had fraternal twins, boy and girl.

They had always wanted a big family, and so, when the second set of twins was about 3 years old, did the treatments again.

This time they ended up with sextuplets! Yes. SIX! And one of the babies has a severe case of cerebral palsy.

They were on Good Morning America or some such program last week; the kids were all on stage with them, behaving well, and the CP girl was on her mother's lap. The TV hostess, whoever, asked the parents, if, when they knew they were going to have so many during the last pregnancy, they'd thought of essentially choosing to abort one or more of the babies.

The father looked around at all his beautiful children and quietly asked, "And which one of these could I have done without?"

This is a wonderful example of what you're talking about, Pua'i. You learn to roll with it and do the best you can with what you've got. You don't turn around and find someone to sue instead of getting your act together. Sheesh.
                            Aloha,
                            Mokihana

Comment

Once again, I need to bring up the point that the patient claims to have instructed the doctor to implant only one embryo. Without yet knowing if he failed to follow her request, and if so, why, it still looks like she's got the grounds for a malpractice suit.

Comment

Working...
                              X