The Wheel Of Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wheel Of Time

I am not sure if anyone is familiar with this series it was a fantasy book but it was my favorite for a while. I mean it started off with just a few characters with a simple plot and than it expanded into many plots with too many characters and there were so many twist and turns in the book it was confusing. What made it difficult was that the author had a very descriptive way of explaining things and it got sort of too tideous. The author came out with at least eleven books and each one were thicker than the other, but he did promise to bring the book to a close by writing the last one but he died. Dang it! Now it won't end
    A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Re: The Wheel Of Time

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
    The author came out with at least eleven books and each one were thicker than the other, but he did promise to bring the book to a close by writing the last one but he died. Dang it! Now it won't end
    He died?!?!? I am presently re-reading the series (on #4) before going on to what I expected to be the last one. Now I have to consider whether I want to spend my time on it at all. He couldn't have been very old either. What a loss to the literary world and lovers of the whole serial fantasty genre.

Comment

Ah, Robert Jordan. That's fantasy-writing for people who are serious readers. I never got into him, 'though he was always on my list of possibilities.

According to the Wikipedia article about the last installment, Jordan said before his death, "I'm getting out notes, so if the worst actually happens, someone could finish A Memory of Light and have it end the way I want it to end.

With so much at stake, you can believe there will be a final book, and with expectations so high, it will either be fantastic (pun not intended) or a major let-down!

The novel was scheduled for publication in 2009.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I'm familiar with his Wheel of Time series, but haven't read it.

I opted for the Temeraire series (by Naomi Novik) and now waiting for the fourth book.

One of these days, I'll get into Wheel of Time.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

woah, Now I'm really glad I never got into the Wheel of Time series. What a bummer. Seems like the guy was pretty young too. Well relatively young.

I think I read at least 1/2 of his Conan books from the 80's without even knowing he was the author.

Comment

His writing was excellent, but few series can hold my attention beyond 4 books without some kind of resolution. I made it to 5 in the Wheel of Time but then sort of dropped out. He did a very good historical novel about the American Revolutionary war and a Conan novel as well - both are worth reading.
            "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
            Socrates.

Comment

In case everyone haven't heard, Robert Jordan's 12th and final Wheel of Time novel will be completed by Brandon Sanderson, author of the Mistborn series.

It will be titled, A Memory of Light.

Robert Jordan, whose real name is James Oliver Rigney, Jr., died from a blood disease back in September while working on his 12th book for the Wheel of Time series.
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
              X