Rugby World Cup 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rugby World Cup 2007

Are there any fans of "the game they play in heaven" on this board?

For those who don't know, the Rugby World Cup is being played in France right now.

Samoa plays the USA in their final game tomorrow to see who will break their losing streak (neither team has won a game yet) and who will end up on the bottom of their pool - aptly nicknamed the "pool of death". Not surprisingly, a few of the USA Eagles team members are from Samoa. Even though they haven't had a win yet - both teams are playing good rugby, they were just unfortunate to end up in the pool of death where the competition is absolutely fierce.

For the record, the three island teams Samoa, Tonga and Fiji all do their own pre-game rituals derived from their warrior history. Of course the All Blacks from New Zealand do the haka (they are the only ones!)

Fiji's war dance, the cibi (pronounced thimbi), has been performed on the rugby pitch since their first tour of New Zealand in 1939. The cibi is believed to be derived from a Bauan war cry called cibi ni I valu.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzgOEH3rEhU

The Samoan war dance is the siva tau, it was first composed for the Rugby World Cup in 1991. They debuted a new version of the siva tau for this World Cup but they haven't won a game yet so I wouldn't be surprised if they go back to the old one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV9_pa4TgEA

Tonga's sipi tau is considered by some to be the most aggressive of the war dances as the players advance toward their opponents.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbFnLCIlFdM
    The sipi tau is a version of the Tongan kailao war dance. The kailao is typically without words, usually accompanied by drums. However, the Tongan team's sipi tau includes promises to "crunch fierce hearts".

Aside from the war dances, there's been some awesome rugby on display - and the shock of the tournament is that Tonga could go through to the semi-finals. They're on a roll - and a win over England this Friday could see them go through while a loss for England would send the reigning world champions home early... exciting stuff!
    Last edited by kiwidiva; September 25, 2007, 01:52 PM.
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Re: Rugby World Cup 2007

I spent some time in New Zealand earlier this year, and boy, is that a rugby-crazy nation or what? There were less than 10 channels on TV, one of them had rugby 24x7, and two others usually had games on as well. A rugby game was on one-third of the TV channels at any given time.

My Kiwi friends enthusiastically told me all about the All Blacks and this year's World Cup. They also assured me the All Blacks would easily demolish all their competition, which from what I've read, is exactly what's happening. I couldn't help but develop an interest in the game during my short stay there, and I was really looking forward to watching the All Blacks in the World Cup games this fall. It's too bad they're only on PPV, though. I'm not interested in it that much.

Do you know of any place locally I can catch the next All Blacks game for free?

Comment

Haha... that sounds about right! Samoa is another rugby mad nation!! I just came back from there and was surprised to see the "televangelist" (for lack of a better word - he was the minister whose church service is broadcast on local Samoan TV every Sunday) deliver his sermon in a Manu Samoa rugby jersey. I was told that he had been wearing it on TV every Sunday for the two weeks leading up to the start of the World Cup.

The Manu games were on there live at 4 a.m. and you know everyone was wide awake and tuned in. My grandparents even fast before the games to ensure a Manu victory. Too bad all that praying and fasting was unsuccessful (so far).

As for local coverage - sorry I can't help you there. I have Direct TV and I pay for Setanta - the Irish Channel that usually shows a lot of rugby and rugby league. Even they haven't been showing all the games live - the good ones are on PPV.

You can watch the games online (http://www.rugbyworldcup.com) but they only upload them 24 hours after they've been played - or you can listen to them live online at the same website.

I've also heard that they are showing replays of some games on Oceanic Channel 47 but I don't know for sure as I don't get Oceanic.

Maybe the Irish pubs are showing the PPV games?

As for the AB's I haven't even watched any of their games. It's too early to get excited (I've been burned in the past) - I'm waiting until they have some decent competition before I'll stay up and watch. Their pool was easy so they are already through to the quarter finals. I'm just hoping they don't choke when the going gets tough.
      Last edited by kiwidiva; September 25, 2007, 03:40 PM.
      My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Good rugby conversation brings me out of the weeds.

Played for 19 years. Hung up my boots a couple of years ago.

In college, the All Blacks became my favorite team as we had two exchange students from New Zealand on our team. They were both from Christchurch. One was a prop and the other was a fly half. I hung out with the prop. The fly half was a stoner but he could kick a ball anywhere, anytime, always on target. Never played with a foot that good ever again.

Lots of interesting matches coming up. You named the first, Tonga versus England. Next is Wales versus Fiji. Next is Scotland versus Italy. If my math is correct, the winners of these games go on to the qtr finals.

I catch my matches on VS. (formerly the Outdoor Channel). They tend to be delayed so I try not to grab too much off the internet.

I saw New Zealand dominate Scotland earlier in the week. Just 'ate their soul' kind of domination. It was hard to tell who was who with the new uniforms. They look like League players. I prefer the black on black.

On the subject of Islanders, the following is a link of the league I last played in. Nicest guys off the pitch but on the pitch...............

http://pelicanrefs.com/disciplinary_actions.htm

Check out the red cards and suspensions. Islanders play with a lot of, uh, "passion for the game".
        You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

I checked out the link and thought that this was HILARIOUS...
          Hayward did not comply with the NCRFU guidelines regarding the field enclosure, and a fight ensued in which non-participants joined the fight. Given that Hayward has no more home matches, Hayward must ensure that proper sideline barriers are present at Pepsi field for the upcoming CR1 matches. From now on, ropes are no longer adequate and Hayward must provide (at a minimum) orange construction fencing. If the proper barriers are not present, all non-participants must move behind the nearest physical barrier (parking lot fence).
          You know it was a good fight if the supporters got in on it!
          I see that even some WAHINE got cited and put on probabtion.

Islanders play with a lot of, uh, "passion for the game".
          Haha... that's an understatement!!!

Talking about "playing with passion" check out Brian Lima (AKA The Chiropractor) in action...
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF8ctts9LOk

and Jonah Lomu at full stride...
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILKIFY6hqxU

Today's game between the Manu Samoa & the Eagles was a really good one. Both sides played some entertaining rugby and it came right down to the wire - I won't spoil it if you're planning to watch the replay other than to say that it's worth watching.

Unfortunately for Samoa and for rugby fans everywhere - today's game would have been Brian Lima's last. He's the only player to have played in every World Cup but he was cited for a dangerous tackle after the Samoa vs England game and was subsequently suspended for three matches. I would have loved to have seen The Chiropractor out there one more time with the boys...

As for the All Blacks - I'm boycotting watching them but when all the Pacific teams are gone - I'd rather see the boys in black get up than watch England, Australia or South Africa walk away with the cup... AGAIN!

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
            Talking about "playing with passion" check out Brian Lima (AKA The Chiropractor) in action...
            LOL, it has been a while since I seen this. 2003 World Cup. The 'hospital pass' of the decade. I particularly like how Brian maintained contact with Derrick Hougaard after the hit so he would not get carded for a dangerous tackle. It's those little things......

The passer, Joost van der Westhuizen, made the hall of fame this year. Derrick's ribs still hurt.

Watching Jonah Lomu run over people was like watching an adult run over 6 graders. It was unfortunate his career was cut short.

I plan on watching the Samoa/US game tomorrow. Your words give me much anticipation.
            You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Tonga versus England. Next is Wales versus Fiji. Next is Scotland versus Italy. If my math is correct, the winners of these games go on to the qtr finals.
              Yes, it's exciting that there are so many "do or die" games coming up.

Did you see the Tonga vs South Africa game? That has been the game of the tournament (for me so far) ... Ikale Tahi played their hearts out against the 'Boks and almost brought them down.

Rumor has it that the Tongan boys spent last night dying their hair... GREEN in honor of their sponsor PADDY POWER, an Irish betting agency. One of the players tried to change his name legally to Paddy Power but the IRB wouldn't recognize it so the team decided to dye their hair green instead. That should be a sight to see when they take on current world champs England tomorrow!

Can you imagine this guy with green hair???

They've also asked the French crowd to wear red to the game tomorrow to show their support for Tonga - I hope that they all do (we all know they hate the English...) Back in Tonga, it has been declared "Red Day" with some churches fasting and schoolkids and workers asked to wear red in honor of the national team.
              Last edited by kiwidiva; September 27, 2007, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Oh yeah, and I know this is off-topic, but it has to be said. New Zealand is a mind-bogglingly beautiful country.

Comment

New Zealand is a mind-bogglingly beautiful country.
                  I'm glad you found it so...

So, the top 8 is decided now and there was one pleasant "surprise" - (second place in Pool B) and one that I had hoped would happen (winner of Pool D).

At the business end of the competition - South Africa have the easiest run to the finals (IMO). The All Blacks could ch-ch-choke at any stage along the way (I'm not confident that they're playing their best rugby yet).

The best try of the World Cup (so far) was America's Takudzwa Ngwenya running around South African speedster Bryan Habana. Zimbabwean-born Ngwenya was definitely a crowd favorite during his time at the Cup.

I was disappointed not to see a GREEN hair on any Tongan heads in their final game... now I know why... the International Rugby Board decided that dying hair green was, in their eyes, individual sponsorship, which is banned at the cup.

Funny how the other teams who ARE a part of the 'Old Boy' network run out for every game with the Adidas logo on their shirts (All Blacks) and the Nike swoosh symbol (England).

The smaller rugby nations just can't catch a break. Yet another reason why I am anti-IRB, anti-NZRU and fast becoming anti-All Blacks!!!

Comment

Well, two big upsets this weekend - sure keeps it interesting!

Two BIG teams are headed home with a four year wait until they can have another crack at the Rugby World Cup!

Two jokes I've heard already...

Bendon has brought out a new bra, it's called the All Blacks, it has a lot of support but NO CUP!

What's the difference between the All Blacks and a tea bag? The tea bag stays in the cup longer!

Even though I was anti-ABs, I really did think they would last a bit longer in the competition before they ch-ch-choked!

I do feel for the players though - gosh, they may as well just stay in Europe because everyone at home in NZ is in mourning and looking for someone to blame!

The coaching staff are HISTORY... Now the wait begins... and it will be a LONG four years...

Comment

Working...
                    X