Test Your Knowledge of American Civics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test Your Knowledge of American Civics

Ever wonder how much you really know about American history and civics? Okay, most of you probably don't spend much, if any, time thinking about it, but for those who do, check out this quiz to see how you do. American History & Civics Quiz. I felt bad about my score of 80 until I clicked on the link that showed the highest scoring college students (Harvard seniors) didn't even make a 70 and realized there is something seriously wrong when those with access to the best education (supposedly) know so little about these important subjects and then I felt worse. And we wonder why we have the government we do...

“Should we be concerned that our best-educated young Americans know so little about civics and history? We should, if we hope to sustain our representative democracy.”—Editorial, The Providence Journal in reference to the 2006 report from the ISI.
    Last edited by glossyp; September 25, 2007, 09:47 PM. Reason: Add quote

Re: Test Your Knowledge of American Civics

"You answered 49 out of 60 correctly — 81.67 %"

Comment

I scored 66.7%. Not great, but I contest the value of some of the ones I missed! Plus, the banner at the top of the results page says, "Failing our students, failing America." I consider this grammatically incorrect. The implied subject of "failing our students" is "you" (or we, or some version of these), while the implied verb is "are failing." The understood subject and verb of the second phrase, "failing America" are the same. This makes it a comma-splice because it's a comma connecting two independent clauses.

I may have not known [deleted so as not to spoil the quiz for others], but comma-splices are a seventh-grade grammar lesson. Sheesh.
      Last edited by scrivener; September 26, 2007, 07:39 AM.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Yeah - some of the questions made me wonder how they fit into the "civics and history" realm. Whatever. (Another pleasant time-eating activity nonetheless; Scrivener knows to what I refer.)

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          I scored 66.7%. Not great, but I contest the value of some of the ones I missed! Plus, the banner at the top of the results page says, "Failing our students, failing America." I consider this grammatically incorrect. The implied subject of "failing our students" is "you" (or we, or some version of these), while the implied verb is "are failing." The understood subject and verb of the second phrase, "failing America" are the same. This makes it a comma-splice because it's a comma connecting two independent clauses.

I may have not known [deleted so as not to spoil the quiz for others], but comma-splices are a seventh-grade grammar lesson. Sheesh.
          Well, it was a history/civics quiz, not an English grammar quiz! As you will note if you go through the site a bit, the point they make over and over is that while much of the knowledge our college students lack in the history/civics area could be considered lacking value if the only objective of higher education is to earn big bucks, knowledge of this material serves to provide context for our government structure and build appreciation and understanding of the freedoms and responsibilities of our representative democracy.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
            ...while much of the knowledge our college students lack in the history/civics area could be considered lacking value if the only objective of higher education is to earn big bucks, knowledge of this material serves to provide context for our government structure and build appreciation and understanding of the freedoms and responsibilities of our representative democracy.
            Oh, when I said I question its value, I definitely did not mean from a money-making perspective. I consider all knowledge valuable, so it was a poor choice of words. I meant that some of the questions lack value in illustrating the point the quiz-makers are trying to make. The chronological order of certain historical events, especially significant ones, is undoubtedly something people should know; however, some of the questions address details rather than the truths or ideals those details support. A couple of questions like that can separate the men from the boys (apologies for the gender-non-neutral language), but more than a couple and you're not illustrating the point that we're failing our students.

It's nice when our students can name all fifty state capitals, but it's nicer when they can tell you why capital cities are located on major waterways and what kinds of products move through those capital cities.

Like Leo, I think the quiz was a welcome exercise. I'm just grouchy because I didn't ace it!
            Last edited by scrivener; September 26, 2007, 08:49 AM. Reason: "I've been in love before . . . the hardest part is when you're in it . . ."
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
              Oh, when I said I question its value, I definitely did not mean from a money-making perspective. I consider all knowledge valuable, so it was a poor choice of words. I meant that some of the questions lack value in illustrating the point the quiz-makers are trying to make. The chronological order of certain historical events, especially significant ones, is undoubtedly something people should know; however, some of the questions address details rather than the truths or ideals those details support. A couple of questions like that can separate the men from the boys (apologies for the gender-non-neutral language), but more than a couple and you're not illustrating the point that we're failing our students.

It's nice when our students can name all fifty state capitals, but it's nicer when they can tell you why capital cities are located on major waterways and what kinds of products move through those capital cities.

Like Leo, the quiz was a welcome exercise. I'm just grouchy because I didn't ace it!
              I appreciate your clarification and must excuse my earnestness on this topic (not unlike yours regarding grammar) to my years as a Political Science major; which also explains why I was peeved at my score!

Comment

Doh! I'm embarrassed to say that I only got a 39/60 (65%). But I have to argue that some of the questions may have had a couple of "correct" answers. And other questions were taken from an Economics class rather than an American Civics class....either way I flunked 'em both! Ok, I got an "A" in Economics -- the 2nd time I took it!
                So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

I got 35%. I am not ashame. I thought I was going to get less.

WhoooHooo!!!

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

85% - darn it, worst I've scored on a test in years...
                    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

I saw that quiz and for that I plead the Fifth!

No Comment
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I did this a while back and my score put me as a graduate of some school I'd never heard of in Mississippi, really crappy score. Apparently my knowledge of this sort of thing tanked throughout the years. As a Political Science major with emphasis on the judicial system it's like I never went to school. All that tuition...."Hail to Purple, Hail to White.............."

Comment

You answered 56 out of 60 correctly — 93.33 %

Answers to Your Missed Questions:
                          Question #19 - C. philosopher kings.
                          Question #33 - C. To receive ambassadors.
                          Question #58 - B. An increase in the volume of commercial bank loans.
                          Question #60 - B. social security.

Crap. I more or less majored in econ, too; how could I have gotten the Fed bond purchase wrong?
                          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

You answered 39 out of 60 correctly — 65.00 %
                            Average score for this quiz during January: 69.6%
                            Average score since September 18, 2007: 69.6%
                            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Working...
                            X