Hawaii Woodwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Woodwork

The 2007 Hawaii Forest Industry Association's "Hawaii Woodshow" is over.

There were some interesting pieces, though I find that it varies from year to year.

This year, I had left-over lumber from a large dresser that I made out of curly mango wood. I used it to buld a pair of matching sofa tables.

Here are a few shots of the sketches. I still have to dig out shots of the actual piece. I'll post them as soon as I find the chip. You won't believe how nice the wood looks; after all, it's "Mango" wood.
    Attached Files

Re: Hawaii Woodwork

Here are a few shots of the dresser.

The first shot is a sketch I showed my client, but they (he & his wife) changed the design of the base.

There is no way that you can appreciate this piece from any single angle. The front shot is nice, but if you see the sides, back, and top, you might get a better idea of just how cool this thing actually looks, IRL.
    Attached Files

Comment

It's beautiful!

I can imagine the price!

I like know.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Mango is beautiful wood. I find koa difficult to work with -- it chips too easily!
        Burl Burlingame
        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
          It's beautiful!

I can imagine the price!
          I like know.

Auntie Lynn

Naahh! You not my Aunty!

I've been reading posts on this site for a while. I like the way you think, but the Admin wouldn't even let me post until they were assured that I wasn't a trouble-maker.

EXPENSIVE!!!
          It took 18 months to build.

The wood was wet (subject to reaction) and the entire load was infested with powder post beatles. Still, it was good wood, and I trust the guy that I got it from.

I wish that I could take credit, but when wood is this good, I'm just a pretender.

Check out these shots of the side panel:

Oh, that middle pic is just a repeat.
          Sorry, but I really don't know how to post well, yet.
          Attached Files

Comment

Wow woodman. Nice!

I did a little woodworking myself when I had the time and space. That's the nicest thing I've seen made out of mango. I almost don't believe its mango.

And to make nice things out of wood is one thing. But to make moving drawers and cupboards is way harder. I know!

Cannot beat nice wood furniture. You are being modest when you say it is the wood but I do know what you mean. When the grain and curl is good, its easier to make it look good.

I love the simple designs that dominate Hawaiian woodworking. Personally cannot stand the complex ornate european or even some of the Asian furniture. Just keep it simple and put the grain on display. Of course Koa was and is the standard and that's mostly what I've worked with, but I am always amazed at how you guyz make what used to be rubbish wood look so good.

Someday I'll get back into it. Woodworking and paddling, the only natural ways I know of to calm the nerves.

Comment

Originally posted by woodman View Post
              Naahh! You not my Aunty!

I've been reading posts on this site for a while. I like the way you think, but the Admin wouldn't even let me post until they were assured that I wasn't a trouble-maker.

EXPENSIVE!!!
              It took 18 months to build.

The wood was wet (subject to reaction)
              Me think? LOL Me is PUPULE! Admin still scratches his head from approving me.heheheh

18 months? Wow!! Can make two babies.

No wonda da wood was wet.

Welcome to HT!!

Lynn
              Last edited by 1stwahine; September 28, 2007, 08:18 PM. Reason: I not your aunty.hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
                ... Personally cannot stand the complex ornate european or even some of the Asian furniture. Just keep it simple and put the grain on display.

... Someday I'll get back into it.
                As far as artistic complexity is concerned, I have to agree with you.

I cannot see any value in wasting rare Hawaiian hardwoods for some sort of academic exercise. Interestingly enough, my hardest lessons came from mistakes I made on expensive Hawaiian hardwoods mostly curly koa.

I was building small things at that time, so my impact (as far as "waste/loss" is concerned) was minimized.

Don't wait for "someday" to get back into it.

Stay in touch with HFIA.
                Each year they have an instructional seminar, and if that's not enough, then they can put you in contact with other organizations that will help you learn what you want to know.

Try search "Furniture Society".

It's a bunch of artists who make furniture from all types of medium; wood, plastic, glass, metal, mixed materials alloys and fibers.

They meet for conference once-a-year; people so smart that they make me think I'm in the wrong profession after I see how easy they make it look.

Comment

18 months? Wow!! Can make two babies.
                  Well, you can try.

Just don't forget the two BIG "OOowwiiieee!!!!" that go with 'em if you should succeed.

Comment

... Personally cannot stand the complex ornate european or even some of the Asian furniture. Just keep it simple and put the grain on display.

I cannot see any value in wasting rare Hawaiian hardwoods for some sort of academic exercise. Interestingly enough, my hardest lessons came from mistakes I made on expensive Hawaiian hardwoods mostly curly koa.

I was building small things at that time, so my impact (as far as "waste/loss" is concerned) was minimized.

Stay in touch with HFIA.
                    Each year they have an instructional seminar, and if that's not enough, then they can put you in contact with other organizations that will help you learn what you want to know.

It's a bunch of artists who make furniture from all types of medium; wood, plastic, glass, metal, mixed materials alloys and fibers.

They meet for conference once-a-year; people so smart that they make me think I'm in the wrong profession after I see how easy they make it look.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                      ... I find koa difficult to work with -- it chips too easily!
                      In my experience, koa varies dramatically, not just from one board to the next, but from one end of a single board to the other end of that same board.

Some sawyers are just not concerned with cutting for quality as they are with cutting for quantity; and once they cut the wood, there is almost no concern to "cure" the lumber as much as there is an imperative to "dry" the wood and get it off to market.

So, Buzz, if you want the good stuff, then you have to buy "green" koa and let it air dry for several months before doing a slow & controlled easy-kiln dry on your load of lumber.

Forced air/heat drying will give you case-hardened wood that you cannot bend to fit projects. It also makes the wood more brittle which may account for some of the problems you've ben having re: "chipping".

Comment

Stay in touch with HFIA.

Comment

Hui! I'm so glad you joined HT! With your expertise and knowledge, we all can learn. You also have a sense of humor and I like that. heheheh Sometimes this place can be so heated make me SCARED!

HAHAHAHAHA

Love and Aloha

Lynn

Comment

With your expertise and knowledge, we all can learn.
                            OMG, you can't be serious.

I've been feeding you facts from all that I've learned by SCREWING-UP!

If this were academy, and with me as instructor, you stand ZERO chance of accreditation and a good chance of punitive sanction.

Buy a book and save yourself while you still can.

Comment

Originally posted by woodman View Post
                              Buy a book and save yourself while you still can.
                              Which leads me to question (without Googling): Has ANYONE ever attempted to build one of those woodwork pieces shown with complete blueprints in Popular Mechanics magazine? They're usually so complex and daunting to even try! Unless you have all the bench power tools, hand tools, blades, bits, and whatever else it requires to build it. Not to mention skill and patience.

Sheesh... just successfully building and finishing knock-down furniture like Whittier is difficult enough! But worth it.

There's some amazing local Ukulele builders out there. I know one who commands GRAND$$$ for his Ukes, and whom has a two-year waiting list. Custom Pearl inlays, concave back, choice of Japan or German-made keys, tone-balanced... the whole 9-yards (or fretboard).
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                              X