Do you eat shrimp tails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you eat shrimp tails?

About two years ago, I had shrimp nigiri sushi while dining with Surfingfarmboy, 1stWahine, Madazza, pzarquon, and (when he eventually showed up) zztype. It was near the end of my "try all the foods I think I hate" year (that was my New Year's resolution) and I hadn't really hit seafood yet.

So, on Surfingfarmboy's nickel, I loaded up on sushi. I liked most of it (!), didn't like some of it, and reserved judgment on the rest. I still haven't decided whether or not I like unagi. *shiver*

One of the things I remember is a short instruction by someone at the table on how to eat the shrimp sushi. Some at the table ate the whole thing, tail and all, while others neatly broke the tails off before downing the delectable crustaceans. I confess that I count myself among the latter.

Since then, I've downed many shrimp with many varied dining companions, some of whom are tail-eaters and some of whom aren't. Which camp do you fall into? If you sometimes do and sometimes don't, what are the determining circumstances or dishes?
    Yes, just about always.
    17.39%
    No, practically never.
    43.48%
    Sometimes yes, other times no.
    30.43%
    I wouldn't eat shrimp even if Surfingfarmboy were buying.
    8.70%
    Last edited by scrivener; October 2, 2007, 07:12 PM. Reason: "oh, the canvas can do miracles: just you wait and see . . ."
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Do you eat shrimp tails?

HAHAHAHAHA

I eat um all the time.

I even eat Kilawen Shrimp (Raw Shrimp) w/ lemon and shoyu.

Hmmmm...onolicious!

Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I eat em especially if deep-fried or tempura style. My wife puts them on my plate to dispose of. I always thought they were high in calcium or potassium of or something.

Comment

I do know the value of cooking shrimp in shells, cooking down the shells for broth, and keeping shrimp in their shells for dishes like paella. It's not the worst thing to eat a shrimp tail, and Cezanne is right, shrimp is low in saturated fat. It is also a good source of niacin, iron, phosphorus and zinc, and a very good source of protein, vitamin B12 and selenium.

Having spent two years working at Oceanic Institute where shrimp is raised to be disease resistant, delicious and easy to grow, I have a renewed sense of awe for shrimp. When done right, we can feed the world WITHOUT stripping ocean floors and without resorting to infusing shrimp with antibiotics!
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

i eat shrimp tails if they're crispy or if they're young (therefore soft, softer than the shell of softshell crab) and raw, like in kilawen, the same way auntie lynn does.

my mom and dad used to eat "jumping shrimp" in the philippines--a kilawen of shrimp that are young and still alive!
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
            my mom and dad used to eat "jumping shrimp" in the philippines--a kilawen of shrimp that are young and still alive!
            heheheh

Get in Chinatown but gotta look good. Good FuN eating it. Taste good too.

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I usually don't. But I can see myself eating them, since I've accidentally eaten them before, and they're pretty good, especially if deep fried.

Our long-ago family cat (may she rest in peace!) loved shrimp tails, so we always made a point of saving them for her. My sister, who was her official care-taker, used to always announce, after we've fully consumed our shrimp scampi or shrimp tempura: "Okay, divvy up those shrimp tails. Kitty Cat's waiting."

Kitty Cat died a happy cat.

Maybe that's why I don't eat shrimp tails. I always feel they're for her.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                I usually don't. But I can see myself eating them, since I've accidentally eaten them before, and they're pretty good, especially if deep fried.

Our long-ago family cat (may she rest in peace!) loved shrimp tails, so we always made a point of saving them for her. My sister, who was her official care-taker, used to always announce, after we've fully consumed our shrimp scampi or shrimp tempura: "Okay, divvy up those shrimp tails. Kitty Cat's waiting."

Kitty Cat died a happy cat.

Maybe that's why I don't eat shrimp tails. I always feel they're for her.

awww....that is a sweet story!
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Just about always, and no particular reason why when I don't whether the shrimp is prepared tempura or nigiri style. If we've driven out to Giovanni's then it's the whole shrimp, legs shell and all!

Lilinoe will peel at all costs.

Our littlest soul, he begs to eat the tail , but we don't allow him too to prevent choking.

I've never tried, or don't think I have the Kilawen shrimp, but am now curiously interested.

Thanks for the interesting poll Scriv!
                  ___
                  "Be god to each other."

Comment

The real question is, do you eat shrimp heads? Like in those Chinese salt-and-pepper shrimp dishes? Crunchy and salty and yummy!

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                      The real question is, do you eat shrimp heads? Like in those Chinese salt-and-pepper shrimp dishes? Crunchy and salty and yummy!
                      Oh Glen! I just remembered my Dad and I were doing a road trip from Houston to California, and he took me to a restaurant in Long Beach, can't recall the name of the spot or the dish. Anyone know of this delicacy and is there a place here in Hawaii?
                      ___
                      "Be god to each other."

Comment

my favorite way to eat prawns is whole--head, feelers, tail, everything. Fry that bebe in butter, garlic (and a bit of ajinomoto) and get. out. of. my. way.

pax

Comment

I voted no, but you can save shrimp tail and shell, then use it to flavor broth.
                          Make your saimin broke yo' mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                            Yeah but the cook has to leave it on.

Comment

I eat them sometimes. Deepfried is the best. If you go to a Tepanyaki restaurant -- like Benihana's, they will deep fry the tails for you upon request. Very good appetizer!
                              So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Working...
                              X