RIP Rhonda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Rhonda

My vocal coach, mentor and friend passed away unexpectedly on Thursday... I just found out... I'm shattered!

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...710030395.html

Posted on: Wednesday, October 3, 2007
    Entertainer Rhonda was 'an incredible talent'

By Wayne Harada
    Advertiser Entertainment Writer

Rhonda, the single-monikered songbird from New Zealand with the booming soprano voice and a radiant smile, died Thursday of an apparent heart attack compounded by a flu-related virus. She was 55.

"She was a wonderful entertainer, working for me at the Ko Olina Chapel," said the Rev. Beverly Stone, a close friend. "She was entertainer of the year four years in a row in New Zealand, and she was an incredible talent."

When Rhonda sang at church, Stone said, she thrilled the worshippers.

"When she did 'The Lord's Prayer,' she knocked the roof off," Stone said.

Rhonda had been battling flu- or coldlike symptoms over the past several weeks, Stone said.

She died at her 'Aiea Heights home.

Rhonda gained initial fame in Honolulu when she made her debut at the Monarch Room of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel in 1989. She was one of a parade of Down Under singers at the time — including John Rowles, Frankie Stevens and Howard Morrison — who migrated to the Islands from New Zealand to launch performing careers.

At the Monarch Room, Rhonda performed a variety of tunes in a diva's style, from "Ave Maria" to "This Is My Life," from "Am What I Am" to "Now Is the Hour," over the course of a memorable three-week engagement.

She was known for an expansive repertoire that included Maori, Samoan and other Polynesian songs, as well as Broadway favorites and pop standards.

In her native New Zealand, she sang in "La Boheme" with the New Zealand Opera Company and was promptly compared to Kiri Te Kawana, New Zealand's acclaimed operatic star.

She also sang two years ago at the Esprit at the Sheraton Waikiki, in a short-lived show produced by Jack Cione and Yemun Chung.

"She had a great voice," Cione said.

Before that, she was the star of an engagement at the Dole Cannery Ballroom at Iwilei.

Her maiden name was Rhonda Bryers; her father was Ron Bryers, a Maori rugby star. She was born in a New Zealand town called Taumarunui.

Survivors include two sons, Scott, 31, and John, 20, with first husband Josh Ruddock.

Her Island friends are planning a celebration of her life; arrangements are pending. Her remains likely will be returned to New Zealand, Stone said.
    Ka tangi te Tītī, Ka tangi te Kākā, Ka tangi au
    Aue, he wahine ataahua, he wahine kaha, he wahine rangimarie
    Haere ki te ao pouri, haere ki nga tupuna,
    Haere ki Hawaiki-nui Hawaiki-roa, Hawaiki Pamamao
    Moe mai, moe mai, moe mai ra!!!

As the Tītī cries, As the Kākā cries, I cry...
    For a beautiful woman, a strong woman, a woman of peace
    Go no into that long night, go to our ancestors
    Go to our ancient homeland of Hawaiki-nui, Hawaiki-roa, Hawaiki Pamamao
    Rest, rest, rest in love...
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Re: RIP Rhonda

Kiwidiva:

I'm sorry to hear of your sudden loss. May you find comfort and peace in your own time.

ALOHA.
    NOE & NEENZ.
    ___
    "Be god to each other."

Comment

I'm very sorry for your loss, Kiwidiva. Thoughts & prayers are with you....
      So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Mahalo... I just found this video of her singing "Islands Of Aloha" on Jan. 24, 2002 at the food court of the International Market Place in Waikiki.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0LN0Vgb5NY

I will be playing this clip a lot!
        My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Wow! Thank you for sharing. Her singing gave me chicken skin. Beautiful. I'm glad you have the video. I'm sure it will help you in your healing.
          So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Holey moley. I've known Rhonda since the late 1980s and have not only socialized with her over the years but have auditioned her as well as I have both Scott and John. I don't get the paper so was completely unaware of her passing. She was way too young for this tragedy, which gives a whole, new meaning to "flu- or coldlike symptoms". Scary.

Whatta powerfully beautiful singing voice Rhonda had and I always marveled at how one would not guess that from her speaking voice.

RIP, Rhonda...we sure had some good times at the old Kahala Hilton.

ETA: I'm curious as to how and why the news of her passing broke 6 days later. I've spoken with a few entertainers who also found out for the first time today.
            Last edited by tutusue; October 3, 2007, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Hi Tutu - yes, I too wondered about just finding out today. I received a phone call this morning and then read it in today's paper.

I think the family and everyone is just in shock. She emailed me a few months ago to say that she had had some kind of throat surgery and was only just getting her voice back. I thought she may have had nodules removed (common for singers) and didn't ask her any more about it.

I talked to her last week on the phone and she seemed fine. She did say she'd been sick but she didn't elaborate.

I love that clip of her on You Tube - it's exactly as I want to remember her, on stage, in all her glory, singing the house down!

Comment

I am sorry for your loss, KD.

pax

Comment

For Tutusue and anyone else who knew Rhonda...

Her funeral service is Monday, October 8th.
                  Public viewing is 6-7 p.m.
                  Service begins promptly at 7 p.m.

United Gospel Fellowship
                  95-061 Waimakua Drive
                  Mililani

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
                    For Tutusue and anyone else who knew Rhonda...
                    [...]
                    Thanks, Kiwidiva. I'll be outer island but will say a prayer for Rhonda at 7p.

Comment

Rhonda's cause of death is a front page story in today's Advertiser...

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...11160389/1001/

They are now reporting that she died of the MRSA 'superbug' that has been getting a lot of national media attention. She was the first case seen in Hawai'i in the past 5 years.

Very scary as I myself was hospitalized 2 months ago with a staph infection that was resistant to penicillin and antibiotics derived from penicillin. Then last month I got another infection that was also resistant to the medicine they prescribed for me. 2 infections in 2 months... hmmmmm??? But I didn't see Rhonda for a long time before that...

They still don't know HOW she got the superbug as there was no evidence of any entrance wounds on her body. I got mine after getting a traditional tattoo in Samoa.

Comment

Working...
                      X