Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Immigration: Does America Need a Leader like This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration: Does America Need a Leader like This?

Will America, or for that matter any other country ever have the gumption to say this? Instead, you have "if you want to listen in English, press 1, if you want Spanish, press 2"............

This is true according to Truth or Fiction.

Prime Minister John Howard - Australia

Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia, as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks.

A day after a group of mainstream Muslim leaders pledged loyalty to Australia and her Queen at a special meeting with Prime Minister John Howard, he and his Ministers made it clear that extremists would face a crackdown. Treasurer Peter Costello, seen as heir apparent to Howard, hinted that some radical clerics could be asked to leave the country if they did not accept that Australia was a secular state, and its laws were made by parliament. "If those are not your values, if you want a country which has Sharia law or a theocratic state, then Australia is not for you", he said on National Television.

"I'd be saying to clerics who are teaching that there are two laws governing people in Australia: One the Australian law and another Islamic law that is false. If you can't agree with parliamentary law, independent courts, democracy, and would prefer Sharia law and have the opportunity to go to another country, which practices it, perhaps, then, that's a better option", Costello said.

Asked whether he meant radical clerics would be forced to leave, he said those with dual citizenship could possibly be asked to move to the other country. Education Minister Brendan Nelson later told reporters that Muslims who did not want to accept local values should clear off. "Basically people who don't want to be Australians, and who don't want to live by Australian values and understand them, well then, they can basically clear off", he said.

Separately, Howard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying he supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's mosques. Quote: "IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT. Take It Or Leave It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians."

"However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the 'politically correct' crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others. I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to Australia. However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of Australia being a multi-cultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. And as Australians, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle.

This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.

Re: Does America Need a Leader like This?

LEGAL immigrants are some of the most wonderful citizens, they don't take our blessings for granted like most of us do at times, and they add much to our society, but I will say this. When most of us travel to another country we at least get a tourist's guide to the language and don't expect them to speak OUR language.

Nothing is more frustrating than having a person that is from another country and we are forced to deal with them in a business transaction, we have nothing against them and L I T E R A L L Y cannot understand some of what they are saying. Even worse is the person that comes here and has our country catering to their language and/or way of life.
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

I expect that the two of you realize that you are spouting this on a board located in a land with two official languages, Hawaiian and English. Considering that at least one of you claims to live in the land of said official languages, I further expect that you are making every sincere effort to learn the languages of this land.

Inā ʻaʻole, ua oki kēnā pulukeke ʻana o ʻolua...

pax

Comment

When I lived in Hawai'i, I took Hawaiian culture classes at WCC. My instructors were Frank Kawai Hewett and Holoua Stender. I took my Hawaiian language classes at Kamehameha Evening Education for three semesters.

Hawai'i is built on a different culture and it's a lot harder for an illegal to 'sneak' across the border being in the middle of the ocean - it's a mighty long swim. Hawai'i was an independent kingdom until the illegal overthrow of the monarchy. What was done there was wrong. And in that case, there should be two official languages. What's the illegal population in Hawai'i and where does it come from? I know my former landlady was living there on a vacation visa and was working down on Waikiki until immigration caught her and fined her big bucks.

I'm talking about mainland America and it's a whole different story.

Comment

Originally posted by LovinLK View Post
          This idea of Australia being a multi-cultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. And as Australians, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.
          Hmm. I must remember to look for the reaction to this from the Australian Aboriginals who lived there for 10,000 years (give or take a fortnight) before John Howard's ancestors arrived.

Comment

Re: Does HT Need Posts Like This?

I've said this before, but then so have others: Why are we trying to get rid of people who want to come here and pick our strawberries or mop our floors? All they want is the same opportunities you and I have, and the last I heard, we Americans called those "inalienable rights." They are self-evident, and we have all been endowed with them.

If our only issue is that they are here "illegally," then we should leave them alone or make it easier for them to be here legally. I probably broke three laws before noon today, and nobody's shipping me out of the country.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
              I've said this before, but then so have others: Why are we trying to get rid of people who want to come here and pick our strawberries or mop our floors? All they want is the same opportunities you and I have, and the last I heard, we Americans called those "inalienable rights." They are self-evident, and we have all been endowed with them.

If our only issue is that they are here "illegally," then we should leave them alone or make it easier for them to be here legally. I probably broke three laws before noon today, and nobody's shipping me out of the country.
              So you want to open the borders for all the poor and others with no marketable skills??

Comment

close thread.
                Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Gent View Post
                  So you want to open the borders for all the poor and others with no marketable skills??
                  What was it that's inscribed at the Statue of Liberty again? "Give me your tired, your ... (come on, somebody - what's the next word?)"

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    What was it that's inscribed at the Statue of Liberty again? "Give me your tired, your ... (come on, somebody - what's the next word?)"
                    Well, that statue was a gift from the French, right? JK, of course. Give us your tired, your hungry. Your huddled masses yearning to be free...

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                      Give us your tired, your hungry. Your huddled masses yearning to be free...
                      BZZZZZT! Sorry - try again; not "hungry," but ...
                      (Hint: see Gent's post.)

Comment

Yes.

Darn. HT won't let me post just "yes" as my response, so:

Hell yes.

...and a high-five to Mike Lowery.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Yes.

Darn. HT won't let me post just "yes" as my response, so:

Hell yes.

...and a high-five to Mike Lowery.
                          *Tiger Woods fist pump*
                          *Bash Brothers forearm bang*
                          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

(you might want to point out all those folks who came through Ellis Island seeking the American Dream™ based on their mad skillz as geeks and tekkies and doctors and such...)

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            Dude, she's not even looking this way, k? Who knows what she's talking about...

pax

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                              Well, that statue was a gift from the French, right?
                              Oh - and the plaque featuring the 1883 Emma Lazarus poem, "The New Colossus" (from which this line comes), was added later by Americans - it wasn't part of the French gift.

"Give me your tired, your poor,
                              Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
                              The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
                              Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
                              I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Comment

Working...
                              X