Favorite One-Dish Meals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite One-Dish Meals

What's your favorite? It can be made stove-top (like soups or stews), baked (like a casserole), roasted (like a pot roast), stir-fried (like chowfun, or fried rice in a wok), grilled (like a kabob) or whatever!

As long it includes meat (or other protein substitute), vegetables and starch, in one, ready-to-eat (and hopefully easy-to-prepare) dish, that needs little or nothing else.

Last night I made Corned Beef & Cabbage (the "traditional" Irish style), and it reminded me what a perfect "one-pot meal" this was. Throw the brined corned beef and seasoning packet in the pot with water (and some chicken stock) and boil and simmer it on the stove for a few hours. Throw in cut potatoes, carrots and choke cabbage and there it is! A balanced meal of meat, vegetables and starch. With a TON of flavor to boot. Just add yellow mustard. The perfect dish!

I'm also a huge Beef Pot Roast fan. A chuck roast, potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, some Lipton Onion Soup mix and some stock and red wine. Throw all that in the pot on the stove or in the oven for a few hours. Good to go baby!

Ramen is king though. All bow and praise the Almighty Ramen. Chant: Ramen! Ramen! Ramen! Ramen! Ramen!
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Favorite One-Dish Meals

I haven't cooked in a long time but I used to do was make Kraft Mac & Cheese in a pot, when that was done cooking add a can of tuna and a can of spinach. Or add a can of chilli.

Then there was Rice o Roni and add a can of Spam to it.

Also tried Hamburger or Tuna Helper.

Comment

Fried rice is nice.

Comment

I would crave this when I was pregnant. I think its sodium content triggered my Bell's Palsy. So why am I sharing it? Well, it is delicous.

Brown Tyson boneless, skinless chicken breasts; while they are browning on their second side, add a box of chicken RiceARoni and water required according to directions. turn it down to a low simmer and cover. After it's been cooking about ten minutes, stir in a can of drained, sliced mushrooms and a bag of frozen French-cut string beans, cover, and let it cook another 7-8 minutes. Serve by spooning the rice-green-beans-mushroom mix onto the plate and then slice a breast of chicken and serve along side. It's usually moist enough that it doesn't need gravy.

don't eat like THAT anymore!
        Last edited by lavagal; October 3, 2007, 08:16 PM.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Re: Favorite One-Dish Meals: Jook (Chinese Rice Porridge)

When it comes to "all-in-one meals" and soups, a great bowl of Turkey Jook always soothes the soul...

"Post-Thanksgiving" Turkey Jook (Chinese Rice Porridge)

Yeah, that's just a "token" garnish of Chinese Parsley in there shown. The ultimate way to enjoy Jook is to add an assortment of chopped lettuce, cabbage, or other vegetables and herbs as a topping or "condiment", along with chopped cashews or peanuts to make it a complete meal. Even some Mango Chutney with this works.

The contrast of temperature, texture and flavors is so ono! The perfect remedy if you're feeling under the weather, or simply to warm you up on a cool winter night!
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

For me it's pasta (any type), pesto, and either grilled chicken or steak. Umm...as I was thinkin' 'bout making the criteria, I concluded pesto is a vegetable!
            ___
            "Be god to each other."

Comment

i'd say pork adobo, slow simmered, with okinawan sweet potatoes (why have white when you can have purple?) and carrots. must have lots of onion & garlic tho. of course, it's best with rice, but you don't really need it. and leftovers are great in an adobo omelet or adobo scramble. just add tabasco.

another is risotto--like pancetta and asparagus risotto, which is easy to make in a pressure cooker. you don't have to stir til your arms fall off like you would if you cooked it in the traditional way, and it takes only a fraction of the time.

gaaah...making myself hungry, and my tummy's not yet 100% better from being all funny. why do i open the food threads when i feel this way??!! pomai, i blame you!!!

superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                gaaah...making myself hungry, and my tummy's not yet 100% better from being all funny. why do i open the food threads when i feel this way??!! pomai, i blame you!!!
                Then you should take my "sickness remedy" suggestion and have a bowl of Jook! Way mo' bettah den Chicken Noodle Soup. I know, the question is, "Where am I gonna' get that?". Well, that's what Eric is there for! "Oh Eric, honey...."

Yeah, I can see Adobo being an all-in-one meal if (as you said) you added a good amount of potatoes, carrots, onion and in my case, Daikon (Turnip). I like how the cider vinegar helps the flavors penetrate everything. You should try Auntie Lynn's recipe. Da' secret is Paprika. Just add a few sprinkles. Totally adds depth to Pork or Chicken Adobo. So ono!
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Portogee Bean Soup.
                  http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...ighlight=Soups
                  Post #5

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                    Then you should take my "sickness remedy" suggestion and have a bowl of Jook! Way mo' bettah den Chicken Noodle Soup. I know, the question is, "Where am I gonna' get that?". Well, that's what Eric is there for! "Oh Eric, honey...."
                    actually, i make the pinay version--arroz caldo.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                      actually, i make the pinay version--arroz caldo.
                      In our house my grandmother would shake a finger and prescribe, "Nada mas, calda de arroz! Dos dias, nada mas, calda de arroz!" Not one of my favorites because her version was as bland as bland could possibly be. Of course, I suppose that was the idea!

Comment

Tofu and eggs in peanut sauce. Sounds weird but quite onolicous. Awesome over noodles, rice, anything. Add the lovely long green onions from Hawaii, and it is outta sight. This was DH's first attempt since childhood tofu trauma (tofu on crackers) and he now loves tofu.

Anyone want recipe, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                          In our house my grandmother would shake a finger and prescribe, "Nada mas, calda de arroz! Dos dias, nada mas, calda de arroz!" Not one of my favorites because her version was as bland as bland could possibly be. Of course, I suppose that was the idea!
                          aww! that's too bad! the arroz caldo of my childhood was redolent of chicken and ginger. it was like eating tinola but easier and more concentrated.

actually, glossyp, i should thank you two-fold for your post. it reminds me that a lot of filipino food has been influenced by spain and that there are permutations of several dishes throughout what used to be the spanish empire. to me, adobo always brings to mind vinegar, shoyu, garlic, onion and bay leaf; however, i've falled in love with the adobo dishes i've tried at several mexican restaurants (quintero's, for example). still, it's nice how, even tho this specific example is the result of forced conquest, food brings us all closer.

your post also reminds me that my grandma used to make nasty conconctions to heal me of ills. for example, she'd make me drink very strong black tea and eat dry toast when i had tummy problems (like the one i have now). i HATED strong black tea. ugh! i'd beg my grandma to add a little sugar but she would insist it would weaken the tea's medicinal properties, and so i'd have to gulp it down straight. yech! the funny thing is, whenever my tummy doesn't feel right, strong tea (which i now enjoy) and toast is the first thing i reach for...long before any pharmaceutical solutions.

so my grandma and your grandma had several things in common, it seems!

Comment

Your post reminded me of my Pilipino Grandma.

She's long gone now.

Salamat po,

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

i think it's safe to say that grandmas all over the world rule!

Comment

Working...
                              X