Hawaii @ SJSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii @ SJSU

SJSU's program has been on the upswing, since the winningest football coach in UA and formerly UH history has taken the wheel. When I looked at UH's schedule before the season started, I thought that the Spartans probably have the best chance of spoiling UH's quest for an undefeated season.

Trap block runs and quick slants keep UH baffled enough. SJSU wins, 28-26.

This is Spaaaaaaaarta!
    Last edited by Mike_Lowery; October 9, 2007, 06:34 PM. Reason: title switched to lower caps
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Re: Hawaii @ SJSU

Mike, I share your concern about SJSU. They have a history of upsets (especially against Stanford when they were good). And Toomey is a good coach, He's not flashy, but he comes up with surprises against higher ranked teams, especailly on defense.

And you know Toomey and the Spartans are itching for an upset, salivating actually. I expect a battle. Good thing it's on ESPAN and not PPV.

Comment

Well, nobody can accuse Mike_Lowery of being a homer, unless he's got roots in San Jose that we don't know about.

I think an upset is not out of the question, but I don't get why you think SJSU is the biggest threat to UH's undefeated season, when we still have to play Boise State. Sure, it's at home, but you have to knock the champion out, and that's a multi-year champion in the other corner.

As someone put forward in the Utah State thread (I think; or maybe that was voices in my head), I think the Rainbows have been playing down to their competition. I agree about the running defense, but UHM's not going to let the Spartan running backs through ALL the time on EVERY drive. Can SJSU match UHM score for score?

I don't think so.

41-30, Green.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Uh 48 - Sjsu 35

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          I don't get why you think SJSU is the biggest threat to UH's undefeated season, when we still have to play Boise State. Sure, it's at home, but you have to knock the champion out, and that's a multi-year champion in the other corner.
          The difference is: June will pull out all the stops for Boise State. You already hear d-linemen soundbytes on KGMB News talking about “opening up the playbook.” By the time UH plays Boise, every trick play Jones is planning on using will be in there.

In contrast, the Warriors enter Spartan Stadium with a hobbling Colt Brennan, who hasn’t demonstrated two consecutive quarters of solid play since he injured his ankle. Tomey is a veteran field general, who would love nothing better than to shock the man who stole his record as the winningest UH coach... with a solid game plan and a string of wins that shows they may be getting their act together just in time.

And not having Mike Lafaele on defense has a major impact. The Utah State game proved that. The team captain sez he will be ready to play ~ but with a strained right hamstring, a strained left calf and a fracture in his right hand, how ready is ready?

I say the Warriors first real test on the road will be another squeaker: 45-42 ’Bows in OT.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Just a heads-up for those who are unaware: This week's game is FRIDAY at 2:00pm. ESPN (no pay-per-view!) and 1420 AM. 'Bows favored by 18. Interestingly, nobody who's posted a prediction believes UHM will cover the spread.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

My instincts tell me UH will win, but not cover the spread. UH 45, SJSU 31. Doesn't matter to me: I don't gamble.

Comment

Wow, I wasn't expecting Tomey's cover schemes to confuse Brennan this much.

flickr

Comment

I know I am the Jinx. As soon as I stopped watching P.K. said they made a touchdown!

Go Bows!

Auntie Lynn
                  Last edited by 1stwahine; October 12, 2007, 05:14 PM.
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Lowery - you think you could tell your cuz to quit doing damage to us

Comment

Originally posted by titilejomi View Post
                      Lowery - you think you could tell your cuz to quit doing damage to us
                      lol...I don't who Dwight is--pure coincidence. I'm just cheering for my prediction, altho I'm a UH alumnus.

This is Spaaaaaarta!

flickr

Comment

12 1/2 minutes left in the 4th quarter and UH is down by two TDs. Like I said, Tomey would rally the Spartans to bring it, as if it was a bowl game. Brennan, as expected, is off - though the wet field has greatly contributed to that. The Warriors will likely need OT to win this one, if they can even catch up by the end of regulation.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                          12 1/2 minutes left in the 4th quarter and UH is down by two TDs. Like I said, Tomey would rally the Spartans to bring it, as if it was a bowl game. Brennan, as expected, is off - though the wet field has greatly contributed to that. The Warriors will likely need OT to win this one, if they can even catch up by the end of regulation.
                          Dude's been one of the greatest motivators in football since I've been alive.

But I think this is too much time left for SJSU to sit back against UH. Interestingly, SJSU is not running at this point.

flickr

Comment

And we're in OT!
                            ___
                            "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
                              And we're in OT!
                              And this is where it ends, folks. I don’t want to bachi myself by commenting on my point spread prediction, so let's get it on!

USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                              X