Seeking Used Minivan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Used Minivan!

My 1995 Dodge Caravan finally bit the bullet last week. (Yes, it has its own web page, so?) So, shunning my evil bank, I joined a credit union and got a small used car loan and am now in the market for a replacement.

I'm hoping for something newer than 2000, with fewer than 80,000 miles, with A/C and (of course) in relatively good mechanical condition for about $7000. I've browsed Craigslist, listing aggregators like Cars.com and Carfax, and have visited a few dealers on the Windward side. Lots fit the criteria on paper, but some were disasters in person (like the Oldsmobile Silhouette with bug bombs set off inside.) My best prospect so far is a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport, which is in good shape and has low mileage but came from Georgia and the A/C is deader than dead. I was this close to signing on the dotted line on Sunday, but as the days pass, I'm less and less enamored.

So anyway, if you know someone upgrading their family van or know someone who knows someone at a dealer (as long as it's not Tony), let me know!

Re: Seeking Used Minivan!

Got 1965 VW Bus, no air, no air bags, no shoulder straps, no power brakes, manual transmission, manual windows, little rust, little body damage, leaks a little oil (they all do!), gets 21mpg.

Camper back with fold-out bed for when you get kicked out of the house. Seats 5-6 comfortably (4 with seat belts). Many more if they'll sit on the floor.

Recent oil change and tune-up.

Will trade for Corvette or maybe a Mini Cooper or Scion Xb!
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

No leads on anyone selling a used Minivan, but gotta' say this... sure can't miss ya' with that HAWAIINEWS.COM white text decal emblazoned across your rear window! You sure you don't have Filipino blood? lol

I park in the same (D) structure as you, but missed the opportunity to say hi, as I was driving in front of hurried pauhana peeps, and you were on your phone.

Advice: On your new van (or whatever you buy), please put on a HawaiiThreads.com sticker (so we know it's YOU!), but keep the size within reasonable means.

Or even better yet, get one of these!...

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Wha? We're work-a-day neighbors? Well, golly, be sure to give a friendly honk some time. I admit, I'm usually digging through SMS messages and setting up my drive-home podcast by the time I'm getting to my car!

As for the big honkin' "HawaiiNews" sticker, c'mon... that makes it a NEWS VAN. Can't you just see me parked haphazardly on a lawn next to KGMB and KITV? Er, no? Well. Okay.

I think I found my next minivan. Private seller, which is new for me, but we'll be working it out at the credit union this afternoon. I hope.

And I think I am getting a vanity plate, to celebrate the milestone. But it won't be "THREDZ."

Comment

Found my minivan.

A 2001 Chrysler Voyager with only 39,000 miles on it, a perfect interior that never saw a kid (that's going to change soon), ice cold AC, and a wife-approved color. Paid well below blue book for condition and mileage from a nice retired guy who just bought himself a Corvette.

Now what to do about the ol' news van. And how long until those custom plates arrive?

Comment

You have a beautiful new vehicle for a great price.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Congratulations on a great new vehicle - functional and a lovely color! Sounds like the deal was a win/win for everyone which is always something to be appreciated.

BTW, isn't that a Plymouth, not a Chrysler? Never mind, I went and found the answer. It was a Plymouth until it was re-badged as a Chrysler in 2001.
              Last edited by glossyp; October 13, 2007, 08:01 AM. Reason: Answered own question

Comment

Pretty! Soon to be Christened with musubis and happy meals! Bon Voyage!
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                  Congratulations on a great new vehicle - functional and a lovely color! Sounds like the deal was a win/win for everyone which is always something to be appreciated.
                  I hope so! The guy was great. He basically got tired of worrying about the van, which he had to park on the street after bringing his new hot rod into the garage. I found a cardboard sign in the van that I guess used to be in the window asking $9,000, so I feel even better about the price I paid!
                  BTW, isn't that a Plymouth, not a Chrysler? Never mind, I went and found the answer. It was a Plymouth until it was re-badged as a Chrysler in 2001.
                  It's confusing, to be sure. On the side, it says Dodge! In fact, it's parked out in the driveway next to our neighbor's Dodge Grand Caravan, and they look exactly the same.
                  Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                  Pretty! Soon to be Christened with musubis and happy meals! Bon Voyage!
                  Absolutely! I kind of dread that first, inevitable spill. I don't think this van has carried anyone under the age of 60 in its life. In fact, I just discovered by accident that the second row bench seat has built in kid-seats. I somehow doubt even the previous owner knew they were there.

Thanks for the reinforcement. 'Twas a stressful few days, as again I'd never not dealt with a dealer before. I think I was lucky to get a reasonable seller, and I'm happy with the van. I'm trying to figure out what the first few things I should do for it. I guess I should at least hit Jiffy Lube!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                    It's confusing, to be sure. On the side, it says Dodge! In fact, it's parked out in the driveway next to our neighbor's Dodge Grand Caravan, and they look exactly the same.
                    And to lessen you being labeled a "soccer dad", when your macho, single friends ask you "So Ryan, what do YOU drive?". Tell them in a rugged, cool way, "A Mopar."

You could even "white lie" a bit and tell them, "Yup, that's right baby... HEMI!"
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                      And to lessen you being labeled a "soccer dad", when your macho, single friends ask you "So Ryan, what do YOU drive?". Tell them in a rugged, cool way, "A Mopar."

You could even "white lie" a bit and tell them, "Yup, that's right baby... HEMI!"
                      that thing got a HEMI? CRACK ME UP!
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                        that thing got a HEMI? CRACK ME UP!
                        No, it doesn't, but that's where Ryan will have to come in as being naive about it. "The guy who sold it to me said this thing's got a HEMI!"

Perhaps there's a bumper sticker out there for Chrysler & Dodge vehicles without them that says "HEMI @ HEART".

Current vehicles with the HEMI (hemispherical combustion chamber) engine include: Dodge Ram, Dodge Durango, Chrysler 300, Dodge Magnum, Dodge Charger, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Commander and Chrysler Aspen.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                          Current vehicles with the HEMI (hemispherical combustion chamber) engine include: Dodge Ram, Dodge Durango, Chrysler 300, Dodge Magnum, Dodge Charger, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Commander and Chrysler Aspen.
                          How much of a difference does the HEMI make? Or is it more marketing?

If one's secure about themselves, there's no need to hype it up with what vehicle you have. Besides, have you seen the newest Chrysler T&C? Reversible seats, built in table, two entertainment screens, satellite TV, pretty nice setup.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post

If one's secure about themselves, there's no need to hype it up with what vehicle you have. Besides, have you seen the newest Chrysler T&C? Reversible seats, built in table, two entertainment screens, satellite TV, pretty nice setup.
                            My kids LOVE that van the way it is marketed on TV with the table, as though there is actually waitress service and all that. LazyBoys on deck! and I have a lowly Sienna LE. Gosh, I'm just grateful for airconditioning and cup holders!!!!

Again, congrats to the Ozawas. Of course, it's the thrill of the hunt and the landing of the big game for a fantastic price that makes it all so satisfying.
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                              HowStuffWorks.com (I love this site!) explains it all here.

If one's secure about themselves, there's no need to hype it up with what vehicle you have.
                              I agree completely. I'm a "Point A to Point B" person myself. The car I drive is something most commonly driven by folks over 60, not my age. And I haven't had a break-in yet! (knocks on wood).

Sure beats that damned Honda Civic I used to drive. Loved, loved, loved that car, but the break-in rate was beyond ridiculous.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                              X