This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawai‘i Warriors’s Post-season Hopes

The BCS Rankings are out and UH debuts at #18. Thanks to Scrivener for providing the latest poll information (though my understanding is the AP Poll is meaningless).

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Re: Hawai‘i Warriors’s Post-season Hopes

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
    The BCS Rankings are out and UH debuts at #18. Thanks to Scrivener for providing the latest poll information (though my understanding is the AP Poll is meaningless).
    With pretty awesome #1 and #2 teams losing this weekend, the quality of the other undefeated teams remaining, the quality of teams with 1 loss, no guaranteed BCS berth for the WAC, and Hawaii's flaws getting exposed by SJSU, I see Hawaii ending up with a choice of berths the Poinsettia, Humanitarian, or (gasp) Hawaii Bowls.

Hawaii's BCS hopes are still alive, but I think that Hawaii's gonna have to start blowing out ESPN opponents UNR, BSU, and UW. Also, Hawaii's gonna have to start praying to their football gods to bring losses to higher-ranked teams to help Hawaii ascend the USA Today poll and BCS standings.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Just to review, UHM makes it to a BCS bowl if (a) it is ranked in the top 12, or (b) it is ranked in the top 16 and is higher-ranked than a BCS conference-winner. All these upsets of high-ranking teams helps Hawaii's cause, because those teams will still likely win their conferences, but the losses do drop their ratings. Eeeeexcellent....

For fun, here's how that looks as of today:
      • In the ACC, three schools are still undefeated in conference play: Boston College (#3), Virginia (#19), and Virginia Tech (#11).
      • In the Big 12, Kansas (#13) is the only undefeated team, but has played one game fewer than the other teams at the top of the conference.
      • In the Big East, South Florida (#2) and Connecticut (unranked) are at the top with 1-0 records. Meaningless, this early in their conference play.
      • In the Big 10, Ohio State (#1) and Michigan (#25) are undefeated in conference play (3-0).
      • In the Pac-10, Arizona State (#8) and UCLA (unranked) are undefeated (4-0 and 3-0).
      • The SEC is, predictably, the most impossible to figure out. South Carolina (#6), LSU (#4), Auburn (#17), and Alabama (unranked) are all 3-1. Kentucky (#7) and Tennessee (#21) are 2-1.

Hawaii is the only non-BCS team in the top 25. I can't decide if that's a good sign or a bad sign.

I think that UCLA is a good team to keep an eye on...if it somehow manages to win that Pac-10 (which looks pretty bad right now) and loses at least one more of those ugly non-conference games, we could be in.
      Last edited by scrivener; October 14, 2007, 06:40 PM. Reason: "when i was five, i walked the fence while grandpa held my hand . . ."
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Scrivener -

That was a very detailed analysis on the CF scene as it stands today.

The way the Warriors played on Saturday, I unfortunately see at least 2, possibly 3, losses for us if they continue to play the way they have been.

If we get by the remaining teams, going undefeated, I read in the paper somewhere that the Fiesta Bowl officials were looking at UH as a possible team!

Comment

I'm watching the coach Jones show now.

Why are some of our teammates making excuses about the condition of the SJSU field?

Both teams were playing on the same field?

Sad when the team is blaming the conditions on the field, to the way they played the game, I mean both teams were on the same field!

You don't hear professionals complaining about having to play in Green Bay during snow storms do you?

I like the Warriors! I just don't think we are as good as us locals think we are.

Comment

Originally posted by titilejomi View Post
            I'm watching the coach Jones show now.

Why are some of our teammates making excuses about the condition of the SJSU field?

Both teams were playing on the same field?

Sad when the team is blaming the conditions on the field, to the way they played the game, I mean both teams were on the same field!

You don't hear professionals complaining about having to play in Green Bay during snow storms do you?

I like the Warriors! I just don't think we are as good as us locals think we are.
            I'm with you here. I don't like our ball coach. Didn't JJ say something about they woulda scored 60 more points if it wasn't for the field conditions?

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
              I'm with you here. I don't like our ball coach. Didn't JJ say something about they woulda scored 60 more points if it wasn't for the field conditions?
              I took it more as a tongue-in-cheek comment. It was hella funny! It’s good JJ can have a sense of humor about the whole thing. But all kidding aside, the sloppy conditions certainly affected the Warriors’ game more then SJSU. The run-and-shoot relies on precision cuts that proved very difficult on the muddy spooge that once was Spartan field.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

........ But all kidding aside, the sloppy conditions certainly affected the Warriors’ game more then SJSU. The run-and-shoot relies on precision cuts that proved very difficult on the muddy spooge that once was Spartan field.
                What will be the excuse when they have to play Nevada - in Nevada, if it's snowing

I say a good football team should be prepared for all circumstances.

Comment

For a little bit of historical perspective, if UHM had finished 16 in last year's BCS rankings (final rankings published on December 3, 2006), it would have been ranked behind the champions of the ACC (Wake Forest), the Big 12 (Oklahoma), the Big East (Louisville), the Big 10 (Ohio State), the Pac-10 (USC), and the SEC (Florida). If this were last year, UHM would have to finish in the top 12 of the BCS rankings, which is highly unlikely THIS year, given our schedule. The Bows have to trounce the remaining opponents, or a BCS bowl berth seems highly unlikely.

Of course, as I said earlier, this is a crazy season, so maybe this is exactly the right year for UHM.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                    For a little bit of historical perspective, if UHM had finished 16 in last year's BCS rankings (final rankings published on December 3, 2006), it would have been ranked behind the champions of the ACC (Wake Forest), the Big 12 (Oklahoma), the Big East (Louisville), the Big 10 (Ohio State), the Pac-10 (USC), and the SEC (Florida). If this were last year, UHM would have to finish in the top 12 of the BCS rankings, which is highly unlikely THIS year, given our schedule. The Bows have to trounce the remaining opponents, or a BCS bowl berth seems highly unlikely.

Of course, as I said earlier, this is a crazy season, so maybe this is exactly the right year for UHM.
                    This season is probably the greatest recruiting tool that the UH staff will have for a long time. The stats that they've put up will pull lots of blue-chip high school recruits, since kids are stats- and jersey-driven nowadays.

flickr

Comment

What will be the excuse when they have to play Nevada - in Nevada, if it's snowing
                      I would think they wouldn’t need one, since snow is only a problem on the ground if it melts, which it won’t do if it’s cold enough to be snowing that day. Ideal conditions compared to what they faced in San José. Even Senior Bowl president Steven Hale said Brennan’s play at Spartan Stadium was impressive considering he played under “as bad a condition as you could put a quarterback in.”

Either way, titilejomi, you’re making a very poor comparison, since Spartan Stadium is grass and dirt, while the Wolfpack have artificial turf.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

... since snow is only a problem on the ground if it melts, which it won’t do if it’s cold enough to be snowing that day. ....
                        You have obviously never played football in snow

Why do you think they make snow tires? (Traction)

Comment

You have obviously never played football in snow

Why do you think they make snow tires? (Traction)
                          Okay, I didn’t want this to turn into a weather debate, but if you read my post carefully, you’ll note my comment about “artificial turf.” This will make it easier for Mackay Stadium officials to CLEAR the snow from the field, as there is no threat of tearing up the dirt. The “playing in the snow” you are thinking of is 3 inches deep in the backyard of the log cabin retreat.

Thus, snow would have much less effect than the elevation (aside from the Warriors busting out the cold-weather undergear).

USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

...note my comment about “artificial turf.” This will make it easier for Mackay Stadium officials to CLEAR the snow from the field, as there is no threat of tearing up the dirt. ..........
                            Thus, snow would have much less effect than the elevation (aside from the Warriors busting out the cold-weather undergear).
                            Are you familiar with the snowplow game

The NFL no longer allows Snowplows because of this, during the game, and I'm not sure of the NCAA rules.

Either/or - wet astroturf is difficult to run and make cuts on.

Comment

And so another #2 fell today. The window of opportunity nudged open juuuuuuuuust a wee bit more. Now if Hawaii can just commit less turnovers and play better KO and punt coverage, they can finally earn a higher ranking.

flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X