PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest -- Go Fourth and Multiply

Pages : [1] 2 3

scrivener
November 1st, 2007, 11:46 AM
It's time for the fourth Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest. We'll begin Saturday night and go four weeks.

For those unfamiliar with the setup, please read at least the first post of this thread (http://hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=4848), this thread (http://hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=6617), and this thread (http://hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=9794).

I don't expect the nature or format of the questions to change much, so if you'd like to get a feel for them, please check out some of the past contests. I will continue to try to include at least one Hawaii-themed question per day, and I am going to try to get away from the "remember when..." kinds of questions. General-knowledge questions are much more likely, such as the questions about the name of that eggplant-tahini spread or which way the canoe tilts if the outrigger float falls off.

We have a three-time champ who may be out of web-access for at least part of the game, and although that's not my motivation for starting it now, that's certainly a nice side-benefit! Just kidding!

Seriously, we've had quite an influx of new HT participants in the past year, so the likelihood that someone might step up and legitimately thrash Surfingfarmboy seems to have improved some.

There are small-but-nice prizes available to the first-, second-, and third-place finishers and consolation prizes for the most regular (non-winning) participant and to the participant who comes up with the funniest or most creative answers through the duration of the contest.

But don't play for the prizes. Play to teach Surfingfarmboy a lesson he'll never forget!

----- Please Note -----
I lost track of the winners and prizes in the last game and wanted to take care of that before we got rolling. If you were owed a prize for the third contest and never received it, I would consider it a favor if you'd PM me and let me know. Thanks so much!

First questions go up Saturday night at 9:00, our time.

Post any questions you have about the game as a reply to this message.

zztype
November 1st, 2007, 12:47 PM
WOOT!!!

I am sooooo in! And SFB had better watch out, this time! :D

Blaine

Kalei99
November 1st, 2007, 01:44 PM
I'm in! I've been waiting for this for a long time....I missed the last one!
:D

zztype
November 1st, 2007, 01:56 PM
Let the trash talking begin!

Bring it, girlie!!!

lavagal
November 1st, 2007, 05:08 PM
I hope I'm not blocked by the moderator!!!

tutusue
November 1st, 2007, 05:25 PM

Bring it, girlie!!!
Ok...now this contest's getting fun. Whattaya want me to bring?!

scrivener
November 1st, 2007, 06:37 PM
I hope I'm not blocked by the moderator!!!
Whoa. Did something happen during that last game? Where is this coming from?

zztype
November 1st, 2007, 07:32 PM
Ok...now this contest's getting fun. Whattaya want me to bring?!

Heehee! That was actually directed at Kalei. But you can play, too! :D

tutusue
November 1st, 2007, 07:41 PM
Heehee! That was actually directed at Kalei. But you can play, too! :D
I don't wanna play...I wanna trash talk! Should I bring a trash talk dictionary?

(Sorry, Scriv. I'm not very competitive, but I'll try...as long as I'm not working!)

zztype
November 1st, 2007, 07:44 PM
I don't wanna play...I wanna trash talk! Should I bring a trash talk dictionary? :D

Ohhhh, would that be as in opala.org, like ulukau.org? :)

lavagal
November 1st, 2007, 07:48 PM
Whoa. Did something happen during that last game? Where is this coming from?

No, that's not it! I thought ever since that thread about blocking people came out that people were blocking me because no one was responding to things I wrote for like two weeks or so. Just me. Hormones. Doh. I hate hormones. argh.

scrivener
November 1st, 2007, 07:59 PM
Did someone say something?

lavagal
November 1st, 2007, 08:00 PM
Did someone say something?

I love it when you mess with my head. NOT. Bring it on, buddy. Game FOURTH. I'm THERE.

infinitypro
November 1st, 2007, 09:11 PM
Ooohh COMPETITION! I love it, count "us" (which is only NEENZ :D) IN! Set my alarm for 9 p.m. on Saturday the same time I'll be making my choices for HawaiiThreads NFL Pick 'Em!

acousticlady
November 2nd, 2007, 02:18 AM
Ooooh - Count me in too. Or should I say "us" too? Nah - Acoustic guy can fend for himself....... Oops - NFL pick 'em reference:D InfinityPro has had way too much good luck with football. Time for them to go dowwnnn :p Ha, ha. I only compete if I can keep a sense of humor about it.

Kalei99
November 2nd, 2007, 06:30 AM

Bring it, girlie!!!

OK, you asked for it you goat feltching, boxcar skulled pea-brain in the tertiary stages of syphilis guy, you!

OK, so "I borrowed" that line (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?p=172675#post172675) from Peshkwe (no plagiarism here) but it was too good - and it's a good start to the trash talkin' wars! :D

zztype
November 2nd, 2007, 08:31 AM
OK, you asked for it you goat feltching, boxcar skulled pea-brain in the tertiary stages of syphilis guy, you!

OK, so "I borrowed" that line (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?p=172675#post172675) from Peshkwe (no plagiarism here) but it was too good - and it's a good start to the trash talkin' wars! :D

Oooh, ouch. I soooo asked for that!

jdub
November 2nd, 2007, 07:37 PM
I'll do my best. *shudder*

infinitypro
November 3rd, 2007, 10:25 AM
Growing up I learned the hard way, "first one to ack, loses" BUT in this case I just can't help myself! :D Can 9 p.m. come any sooner?

Peshkwe
November 3rd, 2007, 11:38 AM
So where are all these diss's and slap downs at? I'd like to see what kinda game y'all got.

Or maybe make a side dissn' thread, no outright gutter cussin' of course and all in fun where ya go away with a 'well played and I'll school ya good next time' attitude... kinda like playing the dozens.

zztype
November 3rd, 2007, 11:53 AM
So where are all these diss's and slap downs at? I'd like to see what kinda game y'all got.

Or maybe make a side dissn' thread, no outright gutter cussin' of course and all in fun where ya go away with a 'well played and I'll school ya good next time' attitude... kinda like playing the dozens.

Well, to tell the truth, I kinda tried that right here in this thread! And got immediately hammered into the dirt! By my own SISTER!! Using your GOAT FELTCHING*...line.

*picks self up out of the mud and sulks away*

*Why, yes, I DID look it up (http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Felching)! :eek:

Peshkwe
November 3rd, 2007, 12:24 PM
Ahhhh....yesss.....

Dictionarys, Thesaurusesesesses and comic books, not to mention the odd cult flick here and there...great gleaning material for the professionally executed wop jaw.

zztype
November 3rd, 2007, 06:41 PM
Ahhhh....yesss.....

Dictionarys, Thesaurusesesesses and comic books, not to mention the odd cult flick here and there...great gleaning material for the professionally executed wop jaw.

Hahaha! Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

scrivener
November 3rd, 2007, 09:31 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 1!
Here are today's questions!

As has been clear almost from the beginning of the first game, this is usually a test of one's Google-Fu, rather than a test of general knowledge. I have at times played along with that idea and at other times fought against it. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter to me most of the time how one gets the answers, but I will occasionally put in questions that I think are difficult to Google, such as today's first question, or would require quite a bit of Google-work, such as today's second question.

But enough chit-chat. Let's Trivia and Roll.

Category: Rhode Island and Put Away Wet
In the current Steve Carrell film, Dan in Real Life, the title character meets, flirts with, and falls for Marie, played by Juliette Binoche. Specifically, he meets her in a store. Specifically, what kind of store?

Category: Wendy Time is Right, I'll Mary Her
What musician's songs are peopled with characters named Wendy, Kyle, Mary, Frank, Scooter, and Kate, each in a different song?

Category: Glove in the Time of Cholera
What New York Met was the first Hawaii-born pitcher to be selected for Major League Baseball's All-Star Game?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Sunday, November 4! Good luck, and have fun!

Menehune Man
November 3rd, 2007, 09:39 PM
FELTCHING*
*Why, yes, I DID look it up (http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Felching)! :eek:

OH MY! I thought it was just a made up, spir of the moment, word.
Gross.

zztype
November 3rd, 2007, 10:43 PM
OK, so I just put in my first set of answers. Nobody else crowed about it here, so am I just in claiming "frist psot"?

:)

Blaine

infinitypro
November 3rd, 2007, 10:50 PM
OK, so I just put in my first set of answers. Nobody else crowed about it here, so am I just in claiming "frist psot"?

:)

Blaine

Well, the time on this post is 10:43 p.m., and my private message to Scriv reads 10:19 p.m. so umm...no, I win first post! :D

zztype
November 3rd, 2007, 10:52 PM
Oh, well, your answers must be all wrong then. I won't worry! :D

Kalei99
November 4th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Oh, well, your answers must be all wrong then. I won't worry! :D

I hope your answers aren't old and outdated like your current vehicle! Mwahahahaahaha :D

I'm not worried.... :eek:

1stwahine
November 4th, 2007, 05:59 AM
OH MY! I thought it was just a made up, spir of the moment, word.
Gross.

Really?:p

Ok...whateva you say.:D

I wanna donate a Prize $10.00 Gift Certificate to StarBucks.;)

Good luck!

Auntie Lynn

infinitypro
November 4th, 2007, 06:24 AM
And who said friendly trash talking didn't exist! *dusts my shoulders off, then pops my collar* :D

Surfingfarmboy
November 4th, 2007, 06:45 AM
We have a three-time champ who may be out of web-access for at least part of the game, and although that's not my motivation for starting it now, that's certainly a nice side-benefit! Just kidding!

So sorry to disappoint you chumps who were hoping I'd be without Internet access during my upcoming visit to Hong Kong and Macau, but pleased be advised that not only is Hong Kong perhaps one of the world's most wired territories, teeming with Internet cafes and coffee shops, my accomodations there are equipped with high-speed Wi-Fi, as well as an Internet room equipped with dedicated high-speed PCs.

Seriously, we've had quite an influx of new HT participants in the past year, so the likelihood that someone might step up and legitimately thrash Surfingfarmboy seems to have improved some.

You know, I was thinking about sitting out this round of HT Trivia, in order to benevolently allow someone else to expereince the thrill of victory, myself being a thrice-crowned (and still reigning) champion, but when I read that the likelihood of me being "thrash(ed)" has increased due to the influx of new HT members, well, I took them as fighting words. Defend my honor I must.

But don't play for the prizes. Play to teach Surfingfarmboy a lesson he'll never forget!

And to all who dare challange me in this round of HT Trivia: Talk stink all you want. I'm not saying anything else. I'm going to let my correct answers do all the talking for me. ;)

Best of luck to all of you!

zztype
November 4th, 2007, 08:09 AM
And to all who dare challange me in this round of HT Trivia: Talk stink all you want. I'm not saying anything else. I'm going to let my correct answers do all the talking for me. ;)

Best of luck to all of you!

Wheeehah! So glad to see you here, SFB! Hope I mount a respectable challenge this time, though it seems my trash talk thus far has been deemed less-than respectable! :)

Blaine

Peshkwe
November 4th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Talk stink?

What stink?

I see no stink....this....this is the equivalent of a lobotomy grenade. These tiny fisted throw downs have less weight than that of a leprous desert rat, spinning rabidly in a circle, chittering until stamped carelessly underfoot. A whitehole of insipidity with all the personality of wallpaper paste.

>;-}p~~~~

acousticlady
November 4th, 2007, 01:40 PM
I have every intention of being the newbie to knock out the thee-time champ :D

zztype
November 4th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Bump. Bump-itty-bump.

scrivener
November 4th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game
Here are the answers for Day 1!

Category: Rhode Island and Put Away Wet
In the current Steve Carrell film, Dan in Real Life, the title character meets, flirts with, and falls for Marie, played by Juliette Binoche. Specifically, he meets her in a store. Specifically, what kind of store?
It's a good movie, and I recommend it for single, middle-aged losers like me. Dan meets Marie in a Books and Tackle store!

Liberty, tutusue, InfinityProductions, Surfingfarmboy, acousticlady, and Lavagal get half a point each for saying "bookstore."

Kalei99 got the other half (but not the first half) when she submitted, "dock and tackle store."

Only zztype and Leo Lakio get the full point for the correct answer. They are certainly no MURDERERS OF LOVE!!!!!

Category: Wendy Time is Right, I'll Mary Her
What musician's songs are peopled with characters named Wendy, Kyle, Mary, Frank, Scooter, and Kate, each in a different song?
Wendy: "Wendy let me in / I want to be your friend / I want to guard your dreams and visions..."
Kyle: "Take a baby to the river / Kyle William they call him / Wash the baby in the water / Take away little Kyle's sin..."
Mary: There are actually several Marys, but the one I was thinking of was
"Then I got Mary pregnant
and man that was all she wrote
And for my nineteenth birthday I got a union card and a wedding coat
We went down to the courthouse
and the judge put it all to rest
No wedding day smiles no walk down the aisle
No flowers no wedding dress..."
Frank: "Hey, Frank, won't you pack your bags / And meet me tonight down at Liberty Hall / Just one kiss from you, my brother / And we'll ride until we fall..."
Scooter: "Tear drops on the city / Bad Scooter searching for his groove / Seem like the whole world walking pretty / And you can't find the room to move..."
Bobby: "Bobby's got a gun that he keeps beneath his pillow / Out on the street your chances are zero..."

The songs are "Born to Run," "Reason to Believe," "The River," "This Hard Land," "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out," and "Murder Incorporated," and the musician is, of course, the Boss, Bruce Springsteen.

Extended saxophone solos are dedicated to liberty, acousticlady, and Leo Lakio for identifying the Jersey Boy. The most popular wrong answer was "Beach Boys." Other guesses were for Elton John, Sting, Bob Dylan (the best wrong answer), and Israel Kamakawiwoole. If you can prove to me that your answer is just as right as mine, please do.

Category: Glove in the Time of Cholera
What New York Met was the first Hawaii-born pitcher to be selected for Major League Baseball's All-Star Game?

I am surprised anyone got this. The obvious answer is Sid Fernandez, of course, who in 1986 became the first Hawaii-born pitcher to actually PITCH in an All-Star Game, but the summer before, Ron Darling (born in Honolulu) was on the team and never made it into the game!

Give InfinityProductions, zztype, and acousticlady a dog and a beer for getting that one right!

After one day, here are the standings:
2.5: acousticlady
2: zztype
1.5: liberty, InfinityProductions, Leo Lakio
.5: tutusue, Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy, lavagal

...and for the record, liberty had the first response, coming in at 9:58 p.m.

We're only 1/30th of the way through this thing, so don't hesitate to jump in! Almost everyone on HT is only half a point behind the defending three-time champ!

new questions, next post!

infinitypro
November 4th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Absolutely AWESOME and I sit corrected, I didn't answer first :o oh well. ACOUSTICLADY whoop whoop! And, honest to Betsy I was leaning towards the Boss, but I went on a guessing limb and answered, The Cure!

scrivener
November 4th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game!
Here are the questions for Day 2!

Category: Tripper? I Don't Even Know 'Er!
On TV's Friends, the main characters' favorite hangout is a cafe called Central Perk. For half a point each, what are the names of the characters' favorite hangouts in each of these television shows?
Taxi
Three's Company
Beverly Hills, 90210
Happy Days
Seinfeld
Ally McBeal

Category: That's Using the Old Noodle
What Maui establishment is revered by locals for its dry saimin, served with a broth for dipping?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Monday, November 5! Good luck, and have fun!

lavagal
November 4th, 2007, 09:20 PM
this Jersey girl hangs her head in shame!! Onto redemption, day two.

tutusue
November 4th, 2007, 09:21 PM
[...].5: tutusue, Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy, lavagal[...]
Hot Dang...I'm in good company. Ok, I'm having fun now!!!

zztype
November 4th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Grrrr! At 9:58:53 p.m. Mere seconds after I hit the "Ally McBeal" Google search and about a minute before I was to submit my answers, Oceanic dropped (according to help desk) 7,000 subscribers, including me. >:( Grrrrr! 10:38 p.m., the connection came back.

liberty
November 4th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Grrrr! At 9:58:53 p.m. Mere seconds after I hit the "Ally McBeal" Google search and about a minute before I was to submit my answers, Oceanic dropped (according to help desk) 7,000 subscribers, including me. >:( Grrrrr! 10:38 p.m., the connection came back.

Oooh, I feel your pain, only my last search was for "Taxi"! So I submitted my answers via my iPhone... only to find that the connection had already come back up. :rolleyes:

Kalei99
November 5th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Man, my lasik is failing me....I coulda swore it said Dock, not Book. But after reviewing the tape, I see the "Book." :o

That's OK....it's only Day one. And I'm still on par with SurfingFarmBoy -- so I feel good. :D

Leo Lakio
November 5th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Only zztype and Leo Lakio get the full point for the correct answer.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Extended saxophone solos are dedicated to liberty, acousticlady, and Leo Lakio for identifying the Jersey Boy.
~~~~~~~~
After one day, here are the standings:
1.5: liberty, InfinityProductions, Leo Lakio

Umm...I got two out of three right - so howcum I only get 1.5 in the standings?

scrivener
November 5th, 2007, 08:25 AM
I'll fix it tonight. Solly.

zztype
November 5th, 2007, 08:26 AM

Kama'aina discount! :D

Leo Lakio
November 5th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Kama'aina discount! :DOffer not good in Alaska, Hawai`i or Puerto Rico.

infinitypro
November 5th, 2007, 11:40 AM
'Eh Leo stay with us in the 1.5 group! :D

acousticlady
November 5th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Now I got 2 comin' up close behind me......:eek:

scrivener
November 5th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game!
Here are the answers for Day 2!

Category: Tripper? I Don't Even Know 'Er!
On TV's Friends, the main characters' favorite hangout is a cafe called Central Perk. For half a point each, what are the names of the characters' favorite hangouts in each of these television shows?
Taxi: Mario’s. I was hoping some real Taxi fan would say “Jim’s Mario’s,” but that didn’t happen. ☺
Three's Company: The Regal Beagle. Yes, Jack owned a bistro called Jack’s Bistro, but that was never a hangout the way the Beagle was.
Beverly Hills, 90210: The Peach Pit (After Dark)
Happy Days: Arnold’s
Seinfeld: Monk’s Cafe
Ally McBeal: Okay, this was the trick question. It is true that the characters never referred to this establishment by any name other than “the bar,” but there were clues in a few episodes (an engraving on a trophy for one, and an inside-the-bar view of the front window, complete with signage) that the name of Vonda Shepherd’s permanent gig was the Martini Bar.

helen and lavagal got 2 for 1 point
acousticlady got 3 for 1.5 points
zztype and Leo Lakio and jdub and mel got 4 for 2 points
tutuesue, liberty, CranBeree, and InfinityProductions got 5 for 2.5 points
Kalei99 and Surfingfarmboy got 6 for 3 points

Category: That's Using the Old Noodle
What Maui establishment is revered by locals for its dry saimin, served with a broth for dipping?

Sam Sato’s in the industrial part of Wailuku. If you haven’t been there, you really must check it out. It was one of the pleasant surprises of my trip there last March. Man, that one must have been a piece of cake to Google.

Give tutusue, zztype, liberty, CranBeree, Kalei99, Infinityproductions, Leo Lakio, acousticlady, Surfingfarmboy, mel, and lavagal a great, big meatstick for getting it right!

Here are the scores after two days!
5: acousticlady, zztype, InfinityProductions, Leo Lakio
4.5: liberty, Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy
4: tutusue
3.5: Cranberee
3: mel
2.5: lavagal
2: jdub
1: helen

Please check your scores and verify that I got them right. For some reason, I had more trouble than usual keeping scores straight this evening.

We’re just getting rolling, so don’t be afraid to jump on in! New questions, next post!

scrivener
November 5th, 2007, 08:18 PM
HawaiiThreads Trivia Contest!
Here are the questions for Day 3!

Category: Art Calorie
What product contains 16 grams of saturated fat, 0 grams of trans fat, 0 milligrams of cholesterol, 150 milligrams of sodium, 7 grams of carbohydrates, 2 grams of dietary fiber, 3 grams of sugars, and 8 grams of protein for each two-tablespoon serving?

Category: In One Accord
What two musical chords are represented by this notation?

|---2------0------
|---2------2------
|---2------0------
|---4------2------
|---4------0------
|---2------x------

Category: Histrionics
What joins the histories of The Queen's Hospital and Saint Andrew's Priory?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 6! Good luck, and have fun!

Kalei99
November 6th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Whoa man. Was feeling real good after round two, but not so good after reading round three questions...:confused:

infinitypro
November 6th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Whoa man. Was feeling real good after round two, but not so good after reading round three questions...:confused:

At first reading I knew only one answer the others, were they written in Sanskrit? :D

scrivener
November 6th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Here are the answers for Day 3!

Category: Art Calorie
What product contains 16 grams of saturated fat, 0 grams of trans fat, 0 milligrams of cholesterol, 150 milligrams of sodium, 7 grams of carbohydrates, 2 grams of dietary fiber, 3 grams of sugars, and 8 grams of protein for each two-tablespoon serving?
Peanut butter! Which it seemed LOTS of people knew and LOTS of people were able to make good guesses about. Why was that such an educated guess for some of you? tutusue, liberty, Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy, acousticlady, and lavagal all stuck that one to the roofs of their mouths!

Best wrong answer: zztype’s “library paste.”

Category: In One Accord
What two musical chords are represented by this notation?

|---2------0------
|---2------2------
|---2------0------
|---4------2------
|---4------0------
|---2------x------
This notation is called guitar tablature. The horizontal lines represented the six strings of the guitar, while the numbers represent which fret each string should be played upon. These particular chords are F#m (F-sharp minor) and A7. Question: How many of you at least fingered an imaginary guitar so you could see what chord your hand was making? That's what I would have done.

Two cans of Finger-Ease and one point each to zztype, liberty, Kalei99, Leo Lakio, Surfingfarmboy, and jdub!

Category: Histrionics
What joins the histories of The Queen's Hospital and Saint Andrew's Priory?
They were both founded by Queen Emma, a woman I admire a great deal. If you said anything about Queen Emma, you got the point, as did zztype, tutusue, liberty, Kalei99, Leo Lakio, InfinityProductions, mel, acousticlady, and lavagal.

A note about the wording here: Some people said something about being confused by my use of “what” instead of “who.” Please remember that you’re dealing (for good or ill!) with an English teacher, and I might use the language a certain way that’s grammatically correct but might not be how you’d have used it. In this case, the “what” is the FACT that they were both founded by Queen Emma. A fact is a what, not a who. I did this because simply asking “who” left room for all kinds of possibly correct answers, or an unclear understanding of what it is Queen Emma did for both these institutions. In the long run, that didn’t matter because I decided any mention of Queen Emma was going to be okay. However, when I composed the questions, I had it in mind that it was the founding I was focusing on. ☺

Okay! Here are the current scores after three days!
Here are the scores after two days!
8: liberty
7.5: Kalei99
7: zztype, Leo Lakio, acousticlady
6.5: Surfingfarmboy
6: tutusue, InfinityProductions
4.5: lavagal
4: mel
3.5: Cranberee
3: jdub
1: helen

* please note that liberty’s score was wrong as I posted it last night…this score reflects the correction.

New questions, next post!

scrivener
November 6th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Here are the questions for Day 4!

Category: All Hands on Deck
I don't know if this card game is played nationally, but it's been a local favorite among young people at least since the late seventies. In the game of Speed, what does it mean if "doubles and triples" are allowed?

Category: Can You Easel Your Way Out of This One?
Who painted this?
http://mitchellkdwyer.net/stuff/triviaimage11-06.jpg

Category: Getting Reamed
What was the Honolulu Paper Company better known as?

We're still in the beginning stages of this game, and it looks like everyone's still in it, so if you've been a wallflower who wants to be the prom queen, jump on in and hustle! You got to boogie oogie oogie 'til you just can't boogie no more!

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 7! Good luck, and have fun!

tutusue
November 6th, 2007, 08:16 PM
[...]Why was that such an educated guess for some of you? tutusue, liberty, Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy, acousticlady, and lavagal all stuck that one to the roofs of their mouths!
The nutritional label on a jar of peanut butter is stuck in my mind from my days of low carbing!

[...]* please note that liberty’s score was wrong as I posted it last night…this score reflects the correction.
I demand a recount. Liberty's too young to read your questions much less answer them correctly! Tablature...smablature! :D

scrivener
November 6th, 2007, 08:20 PM
I demand a recount. Liberty's too young to read your questions much less answer them correctly! Tablature...smablature!
You already demanded a recount! How'd that work out for you? :)
Liberty may be young, but she's an HPU Sea Warrior, so you know she's smart.

tutusue
November 6th, 2007, 09:01 PM
You already demanded a recount! How'd that work out for you? :)
So now you're pickin' on me 'cuz I can't add? Four plus one equals 6, right? :rolleyes:
Liberty's also an edumacated Waianae Searider! So there! :p
Sorry, SFB, looks like the youngun, Liberty, is the one to beat.

infinitypro
November 6th, 2007, 09:06 PM
So I was hoping for at least half a point for my answer with E7sus4, but that chords is actually reversed 0-0-2-0-2-0 rather than 0-2-0-2-0-x and of course no "x". Oh well, I'm having fun anyways!

liberty
November 7th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Peanut butter! Which it seemed LOTS of people knew and LOTS of people were able to make good guesses about. Why was that such an educated guess for some of you?

I went to a Web site with nutrition facts labels and searched a handful of food products that could be measured by the tablespoon, like liquids, condiments... and peanut butter. The protein content gave it away. Eventually. :p

How many of you at least fingered an imaginary guitar so you could see what chord your hand was making? That's what I would have done.

I wrote out each note, then used a piano. I have an easier time identifying chords on a piano.

Liberty's also an edumacated Waianae Searider! So there!

;)

Seriously... I'm having fun with this trivia contest. I heart trivia!

acousticlady
November 7th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Blew the music question. (Hangs head in shame - may need to change my name:o)

Seriously though, I am having a blast with this game! And learning stuff too.

Kalei99
November 7th, 2007, 05:05 AM
Here are the answers for Day 3!

Peanut butter! Which it seemed LOTS of people knew and LOTS of people were able to make good guesses about. Why was that such an educated guess for some of you? tutusue, liberty, Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy, acousticlady, and lavagal all stuck that one to the roofs of their mouths!

Best wrong answer: zztype’s “library paste.”

I guess the reason I was so "stumped" is that you said "16 grams of SATURATED fats" Peanut butter does contain approx. 16 grams of fats -- but only about 3 grams of Saturated Fats. The rest is unsaturated (poly and mono). I thought it was a trick question. :p I'm not getting technical but it bugged me so much I kept on searching all day for that wonder food that was so high in saturated fats and contained sugar! I woke up in the middle of the night and yelled "mayonnaise!" and then my husband said "no carbs in mayo, lolo"....I went back to sleep.:D
But I guessed PB anyways since everything else fit.

I'm having a blast with this game and learning a lot too!

scrivener
November 7th, 2007, 07:36 AM
I was about to show you this (http://www.peanutbutter.com/nutrition_creamy.html) to show you where I got my peanut butter data, but then I looked at it and realized I made a mistake yesterday in transcribing the numbers! Oops. Oh well. If you were smart like Kalei99 and Surfingfarmboy, you knew I messed it up and guessed PB anyway.

Moral of the story: Do what Surfingfarmboy did. Say something like, "The best I can figure is that it's peanut butter, but..."

I'll try not to mess up like this in the future. Hee hee hee hee. *rubs hands together*

scrivener
November 7th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Here are the answers for Day 5!

Category: All Hands on Deck
I don't know if this card game is played nationally, but it's been a local favorite among young people at least since the late seventies. In the game of Speed, what does it mean if "doubles and triples" are allowed?
In the game of Speed, opposing players race to place cards in numerical order on two piles laid out between them. A 5 can be placed atop a 4, for example, but a 3 can also be placed atop a 4, because as long as a card’s rank comes immediately before or after the card atop the pile, it’s a legal play.

If “doubles and triples” are allowed, players can ALSO place a card of the same value atop the discard pile: Now a 4 can also be placed atop a 4.

Where I come from, playing with doubles and triples is for wusses!

Pass the deck to CranBeree, Mike_Lowery, zztype, lavagal, kiwidiva, Surfingfarmboy, acousticlady, Kalei99, liberty, and InfinityProductions got that one!

Please note that the moderator is being generous this evening. Everyone I just named got the answer right, but then some elaborated on “triples” with wrong info! Triples would NOT mean you could play a card TWO away from whatever was showing on the discard pile (for example, placing a 5 on a 3). It simply means that you can place a 3 on a 3, and then ANOTHER 3 on THAT 3 (and although the phrase “quadruples” doesn’t exist, it is implied that if “doubles and triples” are legal, then you could also place a fourth 3 on top of THAT 3).

I will school anyone in the room in Speed, including you, jdub!

Best wrong answer is from tutusue:
“I think on the mainland it's called Strip Poker! Ya have to take 2 or 3 items of clothes off if you lose?”

Surfingfarmboy contributes this to the do-they-play-it-on-the-mainland question: “I asked numerous people here today if they ever played the game Speed, and all replies were negative; no one ever heard of it.”

However, zztype includes this link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_%28card_game%29) from Wikipedia, indicating it’s not a local phenomenon.

Category: Can You Easel Your Way Out of This One?
Who painted this?
http://mitchellkdwyer.net/stuff/triviaimage11-06.jpg
There were a lot of guesses for Pegge Hopper and Diana Hansen Young, but if you took Art 101, you know this has to be Paul Gaugin, one-time friend (and many-time enemy, I believe) of Vincent Van Gogh. Gaugin was very frustrated with the European schools and took a liking to the rougher, more primal look of East Asian art. His depictions of Tahitian women are considered by some to be idealized; others consider them unflattering. I used to hold each of these opinions, but I have on occasion found myself breathless when I’ve unexpectedly encountered Gaugin’s work, so now I consider myself something of an admirer.

Gaugin is buried in the Marquesas Islands.

First choice of brushes and easels goes to tutusue, zztype, lavagal, kiwidiva, Leo Lakio, Surfingfarmboy, acousticlady, Kalei99, and jdub for getting that right!

Interesting note: tutusue cast a movie about Paul Gaugin, but that film was never produced. ☹

Category: Getting Reamed
What was the Honolulu Paper Company better known as?
Like many of you, I was a big fan of HOPACO; I was especially fond of the Pearlridge store. And you know what I remember about that store? It seemed to go back FOREVER—much, much further back than any of the other stores! What a crazy-deep store that was!

Little paper swatches go to helen, CranBeree, Mike_Lowery, Palama Kid, tutusue, zztype, lavgal, kiwidiva, Leo Lakio, Surfingfarmboy, acousticlady, Kalei99, jdub, liberty, and InfinityProductions! Almost everyone who submitted an answer got this one correct.

Holy cow, you guys! I am not sure, but I believe today’s SIXTEEN participants is by FAR the most we’ve ever had! Right on!

Here are the new standings after four days!

10.5: Kalei99
10: zztype, acousticlady, liberty
9.5: Surfingfarmboy
9: Leo Lakio
8: tutusue, InfinityProductions
7.5: lavagal
5.5: Cranberee, jdub
5: mel
3: kiwidiva
2: Helen, Mike_Lowery
1: Palama Kid

Thanks to all sixteen of you for participating! And if you’re wondering whether or not it’s too late to get in on this, wonder no longer! Just play!

scrivener
November 7th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Here are the questions for Day 5!

Category: Flower Power
What's missing from this list?

White Pinecone
Black-Eyed Susan
Trailing Arbutus
Pink and white lady's slipper
Magnolia
White Hawthorn blossom
Bitterroot

Category: Flour Power
http://mitchellkdwyer.net/stuff/triviaimage11-07.jpg
This very common pantry pest is known to infest cake mixes, flour, dried fruit, dried herbs and spices, and other dry goods. About the size of a grain of rice, it has almost certainly found its way into your cabinets at least once. What is it?

When the Kaloko Dam burst in 2006, the Hawaii State DLNR performed a visual inspection of other dams on Kauai, finding fault with every one, but determining that none posed any immediate danger. How many did the DLNR inspect?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 8! Good luck, and have fun!

tutusue
November 7th, 2007, 08:19 PM
[...] 9: Leo Lakio
8: tutusue, InfinityProductions
7.5: lavagal
7: Leo Lakio
[...]
Holey moley! Leo Lakio has 16 points! Way to go, LL.!!! :D

scrivener
November 7th, 2007, 08:53 PM
You guys are getting your answers in way too quickly. I must be doing something wrong!

liberty
November 7th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Right on for the high participation! Way to go, everyone!

Leo Lakio
November 8th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Yeah - in my trivia-ridden dreams...but I do know how to spell painter Gauguin's last name. Sue, you're a Michael Franks fan, aren't you? You know he wrote a musical based on Gauguin's life, called "Noa Noa?" "Noa Noa" was briefly work-shopped off-Broadway at Playwrights Horizons in 1995, but it has yet to be presented/recorded in toto, though Franks has put several of the songs on his albums since 1990.

scrivener
November 8th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Darn it. I typed "Paul Gaugin" in Wikipedia to make sure I was spelling it correctly, and didn't notice that the page redirects to "Paul Gauguin." Oh well. It's French. Those guys don't know how to spell ANYthing.

tutusue
November 8th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Yeah - in my trivia-ridden dreams...but I do know how to spell painter Gauguin's last name. Sue, you're a Michael Franks fan, aren't you?
BIG time!!!

You know he wrote a musical based on Gauguin's life, called "Noa Noa?" "Noa Noa" was briefly work-shopped off-Broadway at Playwrights Horizons in 1995, but it has yet to be presented/recorded in toto, though Franks has put several of the songs on his albums since 1990.
Wow...that woulda been a great trivia subject for this thread! I'm sure I would've gotten it wrong, tho'! :D

infinitypro
November 8th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Yeah - in my trivia-ridden dreams...but I do know how to spell painter Gauguin's last name. Sue, you're a Michael Franks fan, aren't you? You know he wrote a musical based on Gauguin's life, called "Noa Noa?" "Noa Noa" was briefly work-shopped off-Broadway at Playwrights Horizons in 1995, but it has yet to be presented/recorded in toto, though Franks has put several of the songs on his albums since 1990.

You should've submitted that as a question for an instant point, of course if selected!

Okay now to tackle the others.

AWESOME KALEI! :)

kiwidiva
November 8th, 2007, 02:31 PM
I don't know if this card game is played nationally

Not just nationally but INTERNATIONALLY - Speed is alive and well in Aotearoa! But we never, NEVER played doubles or triples. It's like cheating! I got it because I asked my kids since they learned the game here.

I love GaugUin's work - I knew it was his piece but had to look it up to double check. I always think if I "know" the answer without looking it up - it's probably a trick question!

Hopaco I definitely had to look up since I didn't grow up here but luckily - it was easily google-able!

I love trivia and am kicking myself now for not submitting earlier. I could have had one more point for knowing 'The Peach Pit' and 'Arnolds' - but kept thinking I needed to look up more answers and then never got around to it.

BZ Scrivener and all the players...

jdub
November 8th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Dayum! Leo's on a tear!

lavagal
November 8th, 2007, 08:07 PM
yawn! drumming my fingers. Waiting, waiting, patiently waiting...

scrivener
November 8th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Here are the answers for Day 5!

What's missing from this list?

White Pinecone
Black-Eyed Susan
Trailing Arbutus
Pink and white lady's slipper
Magnolia
White Hawthorn blossom
Bitterroot
In order, they are the state flowers of Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, and Montana. What's missing is the state flower for the other M state, Michigan. And Michigan's state flower is not the Ford Mustang (which would have been my guess), but the Apple Blossom.

Black-Eyed Susans go to zztype, tutusue, lavagal, liberty, Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy, acousticlady, InfinityProductions, and Leo Lakio for getting that one right. One person sent me a link to more than 5000 flowers that were in the same family; another sent me a list of ALL the state flowers. Good guesses, but not as specific as I was shooting for!

Surfingfarmboy shared a few thoughts about Magnolias and how they are one of his two favorite flowers. I'm partial to tulips myself; what are your favorites?

Category: Flour Power
http://mitchellkdwyer.net/stuff/triviaimage11-07.jpg
This very common pantry pest is known to infest cake mixes, flour, dried fruit, dried herbs and spices, and other dry goods. About the size of a grain of rice, it has almost certainly found its way into your cabinets at least once. What is it?
This is a photo of a confused flour beetle, which is my favorite name for an insect ever! However, you can't tell from the description and photo the difference between it and the red flour beetle (the difference is in the antennae, but you can't get a good look at them here), so either answer is correct. Some of you who said "weevil" need to show me some kind of documentation that says a weevil is a confused flour beetle or at least very similar in appearance, okay? I'm happy to correct scores in retrospect, ad infinitum, ad hoc, and even post mortem.

Five-pound sacks go to zztype, CranBeree, tutusue, lavagal, liberty, Kalei99, Mike_Lowery, Surfingfarmboy, InfinityProductions, mel, and Leo Lakio for not being bugged by that one!

Best wrong answer is from jdub: "Looks like a weevil, weevul, boll weevul or whatever. And a guy that perches in the corner at my Saturday gigs at the bar."

----> I just looked them up, and weevils don't look anything LIKE this photo!

When the Kaloko Dam burst in 2006, the Hawaii State DLNR performed a visual inspection of other dams on Kauai, finding fault with every one, but determining that none posed any immediate danger. How many did the DLNR inspect?

54 and 55 are acceptable answers. If you have a link that reasonably gives a different number, please let me see it. Thank you!

Dam the torpedoes, 'cause zztype, CranBeree, lavagal, liberty, Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy, Mike_Lowery, Leo Lakio, and mel got it right! I have a feeling I'm going to get a few arguments about this one.

tutusue asks, "If I lose, I have to take off three items of clothing, right?" Yes, how'd you know? And so do all the other losers!

THESE SCORES EDITED AT 9:44 TO AWARD 1 POINT EACH TO INFINITY PRODUCTIONS AND TUTUSUE for sending links to credible sources giving different numbers of dams. Sheesh. Their sources and my sources were from the exact same government agency. This is why I hate government!

Here are the current standings after five days!
13.5: Kalei99
13: zztype, liberty,
12.5: Surfingfarmboy
12: Leo Lakio
11: acousticlady, tutusue, InfinityProductions
10.5: lavagal
7.5: CranBeree
7: mel
5.5: jdub
4: Mike_Lowery
2: helen
1: Palama Kid

Props to Peshkwe, helen, and jdub, who all struck out but who gave it a noble effort!

scrivener
November 8th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Here are the questions for Day 6!

Category: Initially Puzzling
In the 2006 documentary WordPlay, about the National Crossword Puzzle Tournament, Will Shortz is shown in the middle of his Sunday gig on Weekend Edition. In this puzzle, Shortz gives a clue whose answer begins with the same two letters as the clue AND belongs in the category defined by the clue.

For example, if the clue was PLANETS, the answer was PLUTO, because Pluto belongs to the category of PLANETS (well, not anymore) and because "Pluto" begins with the same first two letters as the word "planets." Another example would be AUTO MAKES ---> AUDI. Get it? PMail me if you need more help understanding the puzzle.

For 1/4 of a point each (with a 2-point maximum), what are some answers for these categories created by my English students?

Hawaiian weeds
pirates' activities
ailments
ocean creatures
sharp-toothed predators
shower needs
unreal animals
mammals from the sea
alleged science

And for fun, if you can think of some good ones, please send those along, too...maybe we'll do this again, using your contributions.

Category: Riddle Me This
In 1994, this punchline cracked me up for weeks: "They tried to, but it kept coming up 585.9999!" What was the riddle?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Friday, November 9! Good luck, and have fun!

infinitypro
November 8th, 2007, 09:06 PM
THESE SCORES EDITED AT 9:44 TO AWARD 1 POINT EACH TO INFINITY PRODUCTIONS AND TUTUSUE for sending links to credible sources giving different numbers of dams. Sheesh. Their sources and my sources were from the exact same government agency. This is why I hate government!

Thank you.

Let's not get into the gov't because we're all having so much fun.

And NO WAYS...Tutusue is braver than I, no clothing removed here. :D

tutusue
November 8th, 2007, 09:59 PM
[...]And NO WAYS...Tutusue is braver than I, no clothing removed here. :D
Well...the truth be known...mine were removed only to don my jammies! Thanks, Scriv. I thought stomping my cyber foot and demanding a recount caused you to recoil in horror and award me a point to shut me up!

acousticlady
November 9th, 2007, 02:04 AM
ahhh - I take it just Flour Beetle doesn't count? I'm confused........

scrivener
November 9th, 2007, 04:21 AM
flour beetle was fine, but you gave me two answers, and the other was incorrect, as far as i can tell. sorry.

Leo Lakio
November 9th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Surfingfarmboy shared a few thoughts about Magnolias and how they are one of his two favorite flowers. I'm partial to tulips myself; what are your favorites?Fuschia (LOVE the colors!) and Heliconia (Bird of Paradise specifically, because where I grew up, they were "exotic," as well as being my mother's favorite flower.)

Giant sunflowers, on the other hand, creep me out.

acousticlady
November 9th, 2007, 08:59 AM
flour beetle was fine, but you gave me two answers, and the other was incorrect, as far as i can tell. sorry.

Oops, one of the sites I was on referred to both names. It said....flour beetle, sometimes called flour weevil..... Oh well, not a big deal. This is for fun right?

scrivener
November 9th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Oops, one of the sites I was on referred to both names. It said....flour beetle, sometimes called flour weevil..... Oh well, not a big deal. This is for fun right?
Send me the link.

tutusue
November 9th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Wrong! The winner gets his/her choice of a full meal from this thread (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=13334&highlight=worst+restaurants). Take this contest seriously...very seriously.

acousticlady
November 9th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Send me the link.

I have no clue. It was late and I was looking at a bunch. Probably read it wrong. Almost sent you the latin name for it but decided against it. It really isn't that big of a deal........... I'm not gonna quit and take my ball home ;)

acousticlady
November 9th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Wrong! The winner gets his/her choice of a full meal from this thread (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=13334&highlight=worst+restaurants). Take this contest seriously...very seriously.

Ohhhh..... in that case..........:p

Leo Lakio
November 9th, 2007, 11:08 AM
(The following paragraph is culled from multiple sources) Flour beetles are in the genus Tribolium, family Tenebrionidae, class Insecta, phylum Arthropoda. Because there are so many species and such diversity, the higher classification of weevils is in a state of flux. Weevils are generally divided into two major divisions, the Orthoceri or primitive weevils, and the Gonatoceri or true weevils (Curculionidae). The accepted families are the primitive weevils, Anthribidae, Attelabidae, Belidae, Brentidae, Caridae and Nemonychidae, and the true weevils Curculionidae.

Answers.com (http://www.answers.com/topic/flour-weevil), however, lists "flour beetle" & "flour weevil" as synonymous. Will acousticlady join me at the mark of "12?" Only our generous judge can say...

scrivener
November 9th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Here are the answers for Day 6!

Please give me one more day to straighten out the whole WEEVIL situation. I want to get it right.

Category: Initially Puzzling
In the 2006 documentary WordPlay, about the National Crossword Puzzle Tournament, Will Shortz is shown in the middle of his Sunday gig on Weekend Edition. In this puzzle, Shortz gives a clue whose answer begins with the same two letters as the clue AND belongs in the category defined by the clue.

For example, if the clue was PLANETS, the answer was PLUTO, because Pluto belongs to the category of PLANETS (well, not anymore) and because "Pluto" begins with the same first two letters as the word "planets." Another example would be AUTO MAKES ---> AUDI. Get it? PMail me if you need more help understanding the puzzle.

For 1/4 of a point each (with a 2-point maximum), what are some answers for these categories created by my English students?

Hawaiian weeds: Haole Koa
pirates' activities: Pillaging
ailments: AIDS (a few people said "air sickness" which I really like)
ocean creatures: Octopus
sharp-toothed predators: Shark
shower needs: Shampoo
unreal animals: Unicorn
mammals from the sea: Manatee
alleged science: Allegory

Nice tries, but no dice:
liberty: algology (the study of algae)
tutusue: ungulates (hoofed animals) and Mandurah dolphins
mel: alethiology (the study of truth)
InfinityProductions: algebra

Okay. I think I may have made this mistake in one of the earlier games, but I keep forgetting that "weed" is a subjective term, so anyone who named a plant beginning with HA got the quarter-point. Sheesh.

If you gave an answer other than the one I was looking for that still worked, you got the credit, such as for "airsickness" and "pilfering."

2 points (for at least 8 correct): Palama Kid, zztype, liberty, Mike_Lowery, Leo Lakio, Kalei99, acousticlady, mel, InfinityProductions
1.75 points (7 correct): helen, tutusue, CranBeree
1.5 points (6 correct): lavagal
.75 points (3 correct): Surfingfarmboy

Category: Riddle Me This
In 1994, this punchline cracked me up for weeks: "They tried to, but it kept coming up 585.9999!" What was the riddle?
The riddle had to do with the Pentium FDIV bug (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_FDIV_bug), which was discovered in early Pentium processors. Basically, some problems in division (about 1 in 9 billion calculations, according to the article) would return inaccurate answers -- the answers were off by something in the area of 61 parts per million. As you remember, Pentium was Intel's name for what was really the 586 processor (which came after the 386 and 486). So the riddle was:

"Why didn't Intel name its processor the 586?"
"They tried to, but it kept coming up 585.9999!"

Congratulations and a neon-glow mousepad go to Kalei99, the only person to get the riddle correct. Half a point goes to Helen who didn't phrase the concept as a question but knew it was about the Pentium bug!

Leo Lakio: "You have me completely stumped on the riddle, but why do I think it has something to do with microprocessors?"

zztype: "If my sister gets this one, I'll, I'll, I'll, ... I'd better stop now. I might receive an another invitation involving goats. :( "

Here are the current scores!
16.5: Kalei99
15: zztype, liberty
14: Leo Lakio
13.25: Surfingfarmboy
13: zztype, liberty, acousticlady, InfinityProductions
12.75: tutusue
12: lavagal
9.25: CranBeree
9: mel
6: Mike_Lowery
5.5: jdub
4.25: helen
3: kiwidiva, Palama Kid

Please check your scores and make sure I got them right! Again, I'll deal with the WEEVIL situation tomorrow.

New questions! Next post!

scrivener
November 9th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Here are the questions for Day 7!

Category: Concentration's Not a Game
In Farewell to Manzanar, Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston's account of her life in a Japanese "relocation center" during World War II, the author tells of how, on the first day in the camp, the Japanese-American detainees were surprised to be served rice, and how they were horrified by what the servers ladled on top of the rice, rendering it inedible. What did the servers put on the rice, thinking the prisoners would consider it a treat?

Category: Dead End Street
In what Oahu neighborhood might you find yourself down at the end of ahole street?

Category: London Bridge
According to the story, George Harrison and Eric Clapton were writing a song together. Clapton got up and left the room for a moment while Harrison continued to work on the song. Later, Clapton re-entered the room and saw where Harrison had written the word "bridge" on the lyrics sheet, only Clapton misread the word, and THAT's how one of Slowhand's popular songs got its title! What was the song?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Saturday, November 10! Good luck, and have fun!

Just a word of warning in advance: I'm going to a friend's house for game night and to listen to the Rainbows. It's highly likely tomorrow's questions will be up later than 9:00. Sorry.

acousticlady
November 10th, 2007, 03:02 AM
OK - already got the 2 points for the word problem but...... allegory? No where do I see the connection. Alchemy on the other hand is a pseudoscience or alleged science. Alleged does mean supposed - no? I thought allegory was a representation of abstract ideas........

Just curious.

Kalei99
November 10th, 2007, 04:12 AM
zztype: "If my sister gets this one, I'll, I'll, I'll, ... I'd better stop now. I might receive an another invitation involving goats. :( "

15: zztype, liberty
14: Leo Lakio
13.25: Surfingfarmboy
13: zztype, liberty, acousticlady, InfinityProductions

Hmmmmm.....I wouldn't complain zztype....accroding to this you and liberty have a total of 28 points! ;)

Oh.... and "Macadangdang soyut billy goat..." Can't seem to get that song outta my head...:D

lavagal
November 10th, 2007, 05:48 AM
So Kalei99 and Zztype: Enlighten me. Who is numero uno, first born, alpha child? And how many others are there? And all that! I am kinda digging watching the sibbling rivalry-ribbing from the sidelines.

scrivener
November 10th, 2007, 05:54 AM
allegory is totally wrong. i must have been on drugs or something, because tha answer is alchemy.

zztype
November 10th, 2007, 05:58 AM
So Kalei99 and Zztype: Enlighten me. Who is numero uno, first born, alpha child? And how many others are there? And all that! I am kinda digging watching the sibbling rivalry-ribbing from the sidelines.

Seven of us. zztype is No. 1. Kalei is No. 6. Uh, not in this particular competition so far, that is. :mad:

I am sometimes known as the Alpha Geek. That would make Kalei the F Geek. :confused: :D

lavagal
November 10th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Seven of us. zztype is No. 1. Kalei is No. 6. Uh, not in this particular competition so far, that is. :mad:

I am sometimes known as the Alpha Geek. That would make Kalei the F Geek. :confused: :D

I hope that means she's also FUNNY or gets your jokes! Amazing! Seven! Any other sibblings on HT?
off to 24HF to pay for last night's Macaroni Grill excursion!

zztype
November 10th, 2007, 06:06 AM
I hope that means she's also FUNNY or gets your jokes! Amazing! Seven! Any other sibblings on HT?
off to 24HF to pay for last night's Macaroni Grill excursion!

Yeah, she funny, alright. U neva see the "soyut billy goat" comment?
:mad:

(Makes mental note: Kalei coming home for Thanksgiving. Must plan special "welcome." Hehehe.)

Kalei99
November 10th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Yeah, she funny, alright. U neva see the "soyut billy goat" comment?
:mad:

(Makes mental note: Kalei coming home for Thanksgiving. Must plan special "welcome." Hehehe.)

Heh heh heh....If you're the Alpha Geek, wouldn't that make me the Zeta Geek (Ζ ζ ) being that it's the 6th letter in the greek alphabet?? :confused:

Only 10 more days!!! Can't wait for my warm, special welcome! :D

zztype
November 10th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Heh heh heh....If you're the Alpha Geek, wouldn't that make me the Zeta Geek (Ζ ζ ) being that it's the 6th letter in the greek alphabet?? :confused:

Only 10 more days!!! Can't wait for my warm, special welcome! :D

Eh, wot? I went AIEA, not Athens! Nomo "zeta" in Hawaiian alphabet!

I guess I stay "alapi'i" and you stay... ???

Podagee cheer: Two! Four! Six! ... uh, ???

liberty
November 10th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Hmmmmm.....I wouldn't complain zztype....accroding to this you and liberty have a total of 28 points! ;)

Oh.... and "Macadangdang soyut billy goat..." Can't seem to get that song outta my head...:D

LOL... I just noticed that! Might want to fix the duplicates, Scriv...

scrivener
November 11th, 2007, 01:22 AM

Category: Concentration's Not a Game
In Farewell to Manzanar, Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston's account of her life in a Japanese "relocation center" during World War II, the author tells of how, on the first day in the camp, the Japanese-American detainees were surprised to be served rice, and how they were horrified by what the servers ladled on top of the rice, rendering it inedible. What did the servers put on the rice, thinking the prisoners would consider it a treat?
Canned apricots. The servers didn't know any better; they thought the sweet fruit and syrup would be a nice treat. They didn't understand yet that rice is eaten with savory foods, not sugary foods. If you haven't read this wonderful, important account, please add it to your list. It's a short read and very accessible.

Tea and rice for zztype, tutusue, kanahina, Surfingfarmboy, Kalei99, Leo Lakio, acousticlady, mel, CranBeree, liberty, InfinityProductions, and Lavagal for getting it right!

The commentary that came with these answers was great. Two of you said, "Yuck," one said, "Gross," and one (a Caucasian) said, "Oh my gosh, this broke my heart to read this. What is wrong with white people?" One person said, "I need to do some more research to find out what makes this inedible."

Ultimately, the point is not that the rice was inedible; the point is that this total lack of understanding of Japanese-American culture is the very thing that led to this illegal imprisonment in the first place. American citizens were robbed of their homes, property, businesses, families, and lives by their own government. Sad.

Category: Dead End Street
In what Oahu neighborhood might you find yourself down at the end of ahole street?
I intentionally changed "ahole place" to "ahole street" to make it fit the "Heartbreak Hotel" lyric I was trying to mimic. Most of you caught it and correctly identified it as being in Ewa Beach (West Loch and Honouliuli are also acceptable answers--in fact, as a Leeward-side boy myself, I flinch at calling that neighborhood Ewa Beach and think Honouliuli is a much better answer), including zztype, tutusue, Mike_Lowery, Palama Kid, kanahina, Surfingfarmboy, Kalei99, Leo Lakio, mel, CranBeree, jdub, and Lavagal!

I always found it funny that "A-Hole" place existed.

Category: London Bridge
According to the story, George Harrison and Eric Clapton were writing a song together. Clapton got up and left the room for a moment while Harrison continued to work on the song. Later, Clapton re-entered the room and saw where Harrison had written the word "bridge" on the lyrics sheet, only Clapton misread the word, and THAT's how one of Slowhand's popular songs got its title! What was the song?
That would be Cream's "Badge," one of my least-favorite Clapton songs. Flick your Bics for zztype, tutusue, Mike_Lowery, Palama Kid, kanahina, Surfingfarmboy, Kalei99, Leo Lakio, acousticlady, mel, CranBeree, liberty, jdub, InfinityProductions, and Lavagal for getting that one right!

Sooooo here are the current standings, with the WEEVIL issue still unresolved because I got out of bed late and never caught up with my to-do list!
19.25: Kalei99
18: zztype
17: Leo Lakio, liberty
16.25: Surfingfarmboy
15.75: tutusue
15: acousticlady, InfinityProductions, lavagal
12.25: CranBeree
12: mel
8: Mike_Lowery
7.5: jdub
5: Palama Kid
3: kiwidiva, kanahila

Whew! New questions, next post!

scrivener
November 11th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Here are the questions for Day 8!

Category: Rude Vial Pig
http://mitchellkdwyer.net/stuff/triviaimage11-10.gif
This obnoxious candy, ridiculously popular in Hawaii in the nineties,
is no longer manufactured, much to the chagrin of many. What is it?

Category: Apparent Trap
I will be fairly surprised if anyone gets this, but I've said that before and have been wrong! The 1989 TV-movie Parent Trap: Hawaiian Honeymoon stars the enduring Haley Mills in the role(s) she originated in the Disney classic. It was filmed in Hawaii and set in an aging resort. For one point, in what Oahu town were the resort scenes filmed? For one bonus point, what specifically is located in real life on the grounds that served as the film's resort?

Category: Stringing You Along
What do Elixir guitar strings, Glide dental floss, and Gore-Tex have in common?

In order to give our mainland participants a fair shot at today's questions, I'm allowing the usual 24 hours for the submission of answers, and in order to get us back on schedule, I'll be posting the day 9 questions at the regular 9:00 p.m. time Sunday. So Day 8 questions won't be due until 3:00 a.m. Monday morning. Yes, this means two days' worth of questions will be posted and active at the same time, but that's okay. We'll get it all caught up at 9:00 Monday night. Does that make sense?

Argh. In case I'm not being clear:
Day 8 questions (these): Due Monday morning 3:00 a.m. (late Sunday night)
Day 9 questions: Posted Sunday night 9:00 and due Monday night 9:00.
Day 8 and Day 9 answers: Posted Monday night 9:00.

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 3:00 a.m. on Monday, November 10 (that's late Sunday night)! Good luck, and have fun!

Kalei99
November 11th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Here are the answers for Day 6!

19.25: Kalei99

Hey, I know I'm losing brain cells by the second.....but how'd I lose a 1/4 point in one day? :confused:

scrivener
November 11th, 2007, 03:34 AM
Malihini tax?

aaaar. I'll fix it next time I update scores.

Mike_Lowery
November 11th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Malihini tax?

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHA!

liberty
November 11th, 2007, 10:00 AM
I intentionally changed "ahole place" to "ahole street" to make it fit the "Heartbreak Hotel" lyric I was trying to mimic. Most of you caught it and correctly identified it as being in Ewa Beach (West Loch and Honouliuli are also acceptable answers--in fact, as a Leeward-side boy myself, I flinch at calling that neighborhood Ewa Beach and think Honouliuli is a much better answer), including zztype, tutusue, Mike_Lowery, Palama Kid, kanahina, Surfingfarmboy, Kalei99, Leo Lakio, mel, CranBeree, jdub, and Lavagal!

Shucks, Ewa Beach was my first answer, but then I found this article (http://starbulletin.com/1999/07/08/news/story1.html) that mentions an Ahole Street in what I presumed to be Kaimuki. Maybe it was a typo, because I wasn't able to verify it with Google Maps or the street listing in the yellow pages.

tutusue
November 11th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Shucks, Ewa Beach was my first answer, but then I found this article (http://starbulletin.com/1999/07/08/news/story1.html) that mentions an Ahole Street in what I presumed to be Kaimuki. Maybe it was a typo, because I wasn't able to verify it with Google Maps or the street listing in the yellow pages.
Liberty...I bet it was supposed to be Alohea St. as the guy abandoned his car near Diamond Head Theater. My luck, tho'. I'm one point closer to you! :D

Kalei99
November 11th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Malihini tax?

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHA!

Malihini??? Don't make me go tita on you guys! I'll be HOME in 9 days! :mad:

Mike_Lowery
November 11th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Malihini??? Don't make me go tita on you guys! I'll be HOME in 9 days! :mad:

wear that 155mm bracelet to get the kama'aina discount, Auntie! :D

scrivener
November 11th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Here are the questions for Day 9!

Reminder: Answers for Day 8 are due 3:00 a.m.; answers to be posted Monday night at 9:00. These answers will be due by 9:00 Monday.

Category: An Ear for News
What appears in the ears of the PRINT (not online) EDITION of the
Modesto Bee's Sunday, November 11 front page?

Category: Psalmday, We'll Look Back on This and Laugh
This portion (http://www.bartleby.com/108/19/46.html) of the King James translation of the Bible supposedly contains a clue about who one of its translators might have been. What's the clue, and who does it supposedly implicate?

Category: Kamanawanaleia
When John Prine performed at the Hawaii Theater in 2002, he said he
was "worried" that he might "get beat up" if he sang one of his songs.
Which song was he referring to?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Monday, November 12! Good luck, and have fun!

Pomai
November 12th, 2007, 09:29 AM
What do Elixir guitar strings, Glide dental floss, and Gore-Tex have in common?[/list]This question also raises a few more questions...

If one were desperate, could dental floss serve as a guitar string? Say, the high "E"? :D

Or even more scary, if one were desperate, could a guitar string also serve as dental floss? :eek:

Lastly, could a guitar's G-string serve as a bikini? Oh, that's right, that's called "Butt Floss". LOL!

scrivener
November 12th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Here are the answers for Day 9!

Category: Rude Vial Pig
http://mitchellkdwyer.net/stuff/triviaimage11-10.gif
This obnoxious candy, ridiculously popular in Hawaii in the nineties,
is no longer manufactured, much to the chagrin of many. What is it?
Well, the answer I was going for was Raven's Revenge (http://starbulletin.com/97/03/25/features/stuffs.html), which really was quite a craze around here. I know there are other candies that are similar, but none, I believe, ever qualified as FADS the way Raven's Revenge did. "Ridiculously popular" was the key phrase here, but in my effort to keep the question not too easily Googleable, I may not have been as clear as I'd hoped. Plus, I also mentioned that the candy is no longer manufactured.

So I'm giving a full point to anyone who said "Raven's Revenge," and a half point to anyone who gave the name of another, similar candy.

Full vials and purple tongues go to InfinityProductions and Kalei99, who gave the correct answer! Kalei99 also sent along links to photos of the color it turns your poo, but you can Google that yourselves. I'm too polite to link to it. :)

Half vials and pale blue tongues go to Mike_Lowery, zztype, Surfingfarmboy, lavagal, acousticlady, Leo Lakio, and CranBeree, who all provided the names of candies that are still manufactured. Seriously, if you'd just shown the picture to people who were between the third and eighth grades between 1997 and 2000 (or anyone who worked with them!), I guarantee you'd have gotten your answer before you asked the sixth person. Sometimes, Google is not your best friend!

mel and liberty, I'll give you the half-point if you can send me a link to confirm...I couldn't find anything to verify your answers.

Category: Apparent Trap
I will be fairly surprised if anyone gets this, but I've said that before and have been wrong! The 1989 TV-movie Parent Trap: Hawaiian Honeymoon stars the enduring Haley Mills in the role(s) she originated in the Disney classic. It was filmed in Hawaii and set in an aging resort. For one point, in what Oahu town were the resort scenes filmed? For one bonus point, what specifically is located in real life on the grounds that served as the film's resort?
The film was shot in Waianae, on the grounds of the Pu`u Kahea Baptist Conference Center. It's that huge plantation house behind Waianae Baptist Church, the one with the giant royal palms. You can see it from Pilila`au Park, across the canal, or even from the drive-through at Taco Bell.

One point and autographed Hayley Mills posters go to InfinityProductions, Kalei99, acousticlady, and tutusue for getting the town correct ("Makaha" was also acceptible, 'though that's not a town).

One bonus point each to InfinityProductions (who got the denomination wrong, but knew it was a campground) and tutusue (who didn't name it as a camp but identified the plantation house).

zztype sent this link (http://www.thewambank.com/videos.php?id=976) to some screen caps: You can see the less-attractive side of the plantation house in the background of the exterior shots. The shots are safe for work, but the website itself may not be. Please exercise discretion.

zztype also accurately predicted that tutusue was going to nail this one. The IMDB entry listed production people I figured tutusue probably knows.

tutusue says that the director of the original The Parent Trap was a dear family friend.

Kalei99 sent this link (http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=AASB&p_theme=aasb&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0EAD89B5963A6D73&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM) to an article that actually names Makaha as the location!

What do Elixir guitar strings, Glide dental floss, and Gore-Tex have in common?
What I was going for was the fact that they are made by the same company, which is quite odd when you think about how disparate the three products are. I'm also giving credit if you said anything about how they are made with the same material. One point each for Mike_Lowery, zztype, InfinityProductions, helen, lavagal, liberty, Kalei99, acousticlady, Leo Lakio, tutusue, kanahina, Palama Kid, and CranBeree. One person guessed "Flagstaff, AZ," and while Gore Technologies does have a base there, these three products are not manufactured or administered there, as far as I can tell. If you can show me otherwise, I will be happy to add the point!

acousticlady says, "Actually knew this. We have a museum on campus and there is an exhibit showing right now called 'Molecules That Matter' Polyethelene is one of the featured molecules. Part of that shows how to "add" the tetrafluorine to make teflon."

After some research, I've decided "weevil" is going to have to be acceptible for the day 5 question! jdub, Peshkwe, and acousticlady get one point each, reflected in the scores below.

22.50: Kalei99
19.5: zztype, liberty
19: InfinityProductions
18.75 tutusue
18.5: Leo Lakio, acousticlady
16.75: Surfingfarmboy
16.5: lavagal
13.75: CranBeree
12: mel
9.5: Mike_Lowery
8.5: jdub
6: Palama Kid
4: kanahina
1: Peshkwe

Whew. That was a lot of work! Thanks for participating, everyone! If you're being shy because you think your Google-fu isn't as good as others', please don't let that stop you! There's still a LOT of game left!

Leo Lakio
November 12th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Kalei99 also sent along links to photos of the color it turns your poo, but you can Google that yourselves. I'm too polite to link to it. :)You know, I saw that site while trying to research this question - but the candy in the photo doesn't look like the picture you posted. Ah, well - c'est la sucre.

tutusue
November 12th, 2007, 07:53 PM
[...]Well, the answer I was going for was Raven's Revenge (http://starbulletin.com/97/03/25/features/stuffs.html),[...]
Oh good gawd...I've never heard of the stuff and neither has google!

[...]zztype also accurately predicted that tutusue was going to nail this one. The IMDB entry listed production people I figured tutusue probably knows.
Heh. You figured right. I had human googles who were kind enough to answer my emails during a holiday week-end. But, dayam, they made me work for it! I owe them senior diet cokes from McDonalds! BTW, living in Makaha didn't help me!

Kalei...schmalei...how the heck is she finding all of these answers? :confused: Hey, Kalei, while you're here for Thanksgiving how 'bout giving an advanced google class? Google 401, maybe? :D

scrivener
November 12th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Here are the answers for Day 9!

Category: An Ear for News
What appears in the ears of the PRINT (not online) EDITION of the
Modesto Bee's Sunday, November 11 front page?
Darn it. I have to void this excellent question because I didn't know the Newseum (http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=CA_MB&ref_pge=gal&b_pge=1) does not archive the front page images. This most excellent website has been a recent favorite of mine, but I never bothered to check if back-issues were available!

Here's what I saw when I wrote the question:
http://mitchellkdwyer.net/stuff/modbee.jpg

And of course, you have to know what the ears (http://www.east-buc.k12.ia.us/Ins/00-01/7/st_news.htm) are if you want to answer this question.

Armed with that info, you'd have said the "Goal Standard" and "Amazing Feet" photos.

...which is what liberty and Kalei99 submitted! So while I think it's now an unfair question, they both DID get it right, so what do I do? Suggestions? How about giving them each 1 point in the future for a question they get wrong? That way they won't have a 1-point advantage but will still get the point. Argh!

On the other hand, this is a trivia contest, not an Internet scavenger hunt. If two people were able to get the answers (at least one of whom didn't get them from the web), couldn't others, too?

Meanwhile, Kalei99 says: "OK...First of all I have NO CLUE what the 'ear' part of the paper is. And apparently, the news room at the Modesto Bee didn't know either. Yep, I called them!"

tutusue says: "A bee doesn't have ears. Neither does a newspaper...I don't think!"

zztype says: "(Awaiting response from the newsroom of the Modesto Bee.)"

I'll decide what to do about the score after I've received some feedback from the participants.

Category: Psalmday, We'll Look Back on This and Laugh
This portion (http://www.bartleby.com/108/19/46.html) of the King James translation of the Bible supposedly contains a clue about who one of its translators might have been. What's the clue, and who does it supposedly implicate?
Shakespeare was 46 years old when the translation was being completed. The link shows Psalm 46. The 46th word from the beginning of the psalm is "shake" and the 46th word from the end of the psalm is "spear." Most scholars of both Shakespearean studies and Biblical studies think it's a dumb coincidence.

Not a coincidence, however, is that Mike_Lowery, liberty, Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy, zztype, acousticlady, kanahina, and Leo Lakio got it right! lavagal had the best wrong answer: "Bruce Springsteen, The River."

Category: Kamanawanaleia
When John Prine performed at the Hawaii Theater in 2002, he said he
was "worried" that he might "get beat up" if he sang one of his songs.
Which song was he referring to?

Well, I packed my bags and bought myself a ticket
For the land of the tall palm tree.
Aloha ol’ Milwaukee,
Hello Waikiki
I just stepped down from the airplane
When I heard her say.
“Wacka Wacka, nuka, licka
Wacka Wacka nuka licka
Would you like a ……Lay."
Yes, it's "Let's Talk Dirty in Hawaiian," one of many, many great songs Prine did sing that night. He was awesome, but something about the acoustics in that place drives me nuts. I could barely understand stuff he said or sang that night, and this wasn't the first concert I've seen there that had this problem. Gr!

Two leis for liberty, Palama Kid, Kalei99, tutusue, Surfingfarmboy, zztype, kanahina, mel, Leo Lakio, and lavagal for getting it right!

PS for Kalei99: It's not country; it's folk!

Soooo. Here are the current scores!
24.50: Kalei99
21.5: zztype, liberty
20.5: Leo Lakio
19.75 tutusue
19.5: acousticlady
19: InfinityProductions
18.75: Surfingfarmboy
17.5: lavagal
13.75: CranBeree
13: mel
10.5: Mike_Lowery
8.5: jdub
7: Palama Kid
6: kanahina

tutusue
November 12th, 2007, 09:26 PM
[...]Meanwhile, Kalei99 says: "OK...First of all I have NO CLUE what the 'ear' part of the paper is. And apparently, the news room at the Modesto Bee didn't know either. Yep, I called them!"
Aha! Now I get it. Kalei? You have far too much time on your hands. Please join Pomai in the Real Men of Genius thread (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=14027)! :D
[...]

zztype says: "(Awaiting response from the newsroom of the Modesto Bee.)"
Sheesh! You, too?!!! The poor Modesto Bee is probably wondering what the heck is goin' on!

Scriv...why is this site one of your faves?

[...]New questions, next post!
It's past my bedtime. <tap><tap><tap> :rolleyes:

scrivener
November 12th, 2007, 09:30 PM
...I'm working on them! :o

scrivener
November 12th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Here are the questions for Day 10!

Category: Beefeater
What does Tae's Teppan-Yaki serve with its varieties of teppan-yaki-style plates?

Category: Movie Questions Are My Can't-Think-of-Anything Category
In what film does the main character sculpt a mountain made of mashed potatoes while dining with his family?

Category: Big Wheel Keep on Turnin'
What television game show featured a round in which contestants answered questions while in a giant, human-sized exercise wheel of the sort you often see in a mouse's cage?

Question: I'm interested in doing an "identify this song" kind of trivia question (like an audio daily double!) using a flash-based song-player. This won't work if any of our participants have strictly dial-up access. Would you please PM me if a question like this wouldn't work for you? In fact, when you submit your answers, please just say whether or not that WILL work. Okay? Thanks!

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 13! Good luck, and have fun!

Kalei99
November 13th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Kalei...schmalei...how the heck is she finding all of these answers? :confused: Hey, Kalei, while you're here for Thanksgiving how 'bout giving an advanced google class? Google 401, maybe? :D

OK, OK....I'll share a few of my secrets:

Here's a real good one: Secret Number 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojm1Xzwlc9Q)

This one's good for those hard to research questions: Secret Numba 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgon)

And if you can't find it at either of those sites, this one really rocks! Secret numba tree (http://www.ancientchinesesecret.net/)

Hope this helps!

~Kalei~ http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd171/musicalmaddy/laughs9.gif

lavagal
November 13th, 2007, 05:58 AM

Here's a real good one: Secret Number 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojm1Xzwlc9Q)

This one's good for those hard to research questions: Secret Numba 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgon)

And if you can't find it at either of those sites, this one really rocks! Secret numba tree (http://www.ancientchinesesecret.net/)

Hope this helps!

~Kalei~ http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd171/musicalmaddy/laughs9.gif

Cruelty, thy name is Kalei!

tutusue
November 13th, 2007, 07:56 AM
[...]Category: Beefeater
What does Tae's Teppan-Yaki serve with its varieties of teppan-yaki-style plates?[...]
Rice with canned apricots! :D

tutusue
November 13th, 2007, 08:25 AM
In my dreams, maybe!!!

[...]And if you can't find it at either of those sites, this one really rocks! Secret numba tree (http://www.ancientchinesesecret.net/)
Ooooh POOP! They played Jerry's Bait Shop in Lee's Summit, MO and my cousin never told me. Sheesh! :D

Kalei99
November 13th, 2007, 09:56 AM
In my dreams, maybe!!!

I think the ones to worry about are Liberty (she's being waaaaay too quiet -- just the kind to sneak up on you and knock out!) :eek:

and zztype -- he so badly wants to beat his poor, helpless, shy little sister, he'll do just about anything! :D

Mike_Lowery
November 13th, 2007, 10:05 AM
I wish I played from the beginning. I'd be the king of this. :p

Leo Lakio
November 13th, 2007, 10:14 AM
I wish I played from the beginning. I'd be the king of this. :pYou're still in scoring position.

tutusue
November 13th, 2007, 10:15 AM
I wish I played from the beginning. I'd be the king of this. :p
Talk's cheap, big boy!

infinitypro
November 13th, 2007, 01:23 PM
In my commute from Oahu to Maui, (yes I moved) I completely forgot 'bout the trivia game, until almost 10:00 p.m. last night as I was drifting off to sleep on my new pillow. Oh well, seems like Kalei is still standing ontop of us all, besides I didn't know any of the answers at first glance. So, I just wanted to say...I'm not giving anyone "chance" anymore! :D

liberty
November 13th, 2007, 02:46 PM
[...] So I'm giving a full point to anyone who said "Raven's Revenge," and a half point to anyone who gave the name of another, similar candy.

[...] mel and liberty, I'll give you the half-point if you can send me a link to confirm...I couldn't find anything to verify your answers.

Hey scrivener, I found "Crave" in this 1999 CNN article (http://www.cnn.com/FOOD/news/9910/22/halloween.candy/index.html?iref=newssearch). The test-tube candies in this pic (http://www.cnn.com/FOOD/news/9910/22/halloween.candy/link.crave.jpg) from the article look similar to the ones in the picture you posted.

The film was shot in Waianae, on the grounds of the Pu`u Kahea Baptist Conference Center. It's that huge plantation house behind Waianae Baptist Church, the one with the giant royal palms. You can see it from Pilila`au Park, across the canal, or even from the drive-through at Taco Bell.

Interesting stuff! And I know where that is! Jeez, before this trivia question, I wasn't even aware there was a fourth Parent Trap installment, let alone a third one!

Liberty...I bet it was supposed to be Alohea St. as the guy abandoned his car near Diamond Head Theater. My luck, tho'. I'm one point closer to you! :D

Heehee. What ever happened to fact-checking and spell-checking? :P

scrivener
November 13th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Here are the answers for Day 10!

Category: Beefeater
What does Tae's Teppan-Yaki serve with its varieties of teppan-yaki-style plates?
Please note that I was careful to say "with its varieties," so as to make clear I wasn't asking for the varieties themselves. Sheesh, some of you need to learn to read the questions better!

The answer is "rice, romaine lettuce, julienned raw potatoes, and ponzu sauce." For getting all that, a full point each for lavagal, Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy, kiwidiva, CranBeree, and kanahina.

Half-points for getting some of those (but not all) for tutusue, acousticlady, and mel!

Category: Movie Questions Are My Can't-Think-of-Anything Category
In what film does the main character sculpt a mountain made of mashed potatoes while dining with his family?
Of course I'm thinking of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, which I tried to watch when I was a young teenager and couldn't get into, but which I saw a few summers ago and really dug.

I haven't seen UHF, but since that was a parody movie, it wouldn't surprise me at all if that scene were paid tribute to. Will someone confirm for me that the main character sculpts a mountain out of mashed potatoes while dining with his family? Thank you.

Mashed potatoes and gravy for helen, lavagal, Kalei99, Leo Lakio, tutusue, Surfingfarmboy, acousticlady, Palama Kid, kiwidiva, mel, kanahina, and jdub!

Category: Big Wheel Keep on Turnin'
What television game show featured a round in which contestants answered questions while in a giant, human-sized exercise wheel of the sort you often see in a mouse's cage?
That would be Cram, on the Game Show Network. This was the show where contestants had twenty-four hours to study all the material (and them some!) that would be used in the contest, then they'd compete against other sleep-deprived contestants. It was a GREAT show.

And only InfinityProductions got it right!

There were a lot of "Double Dare" answers, but I am 99.5% certain that on Double Dare, contestants were not asked questions while they ran in the One-Ton Hamster Thingie (whatever it was called).

I do, however, have to accept kanahina's answer, Dog Eat Dog (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_Eat_Dog_%28game_show%29), which sounds like a pretty cool game, too.

Leo Lakio, if you can verify your answer, I'll give the point!

I'm also giving liberty a point for her "crave" answer for the powdered candy question. Not only does it fit the description, but it appears no longer to be in production. :( I mean :).

26.50: Kalei99
22.5: liberty
21.5: zztype, Leo Lakio
21.25: tutusue
21: acousticlady
20.75: Surfingfarmboy
20: Infinity Productions
19.5: lavagal
15.75: CranBeree
15: mel
10.5: Mike_Lowery
9.5: jdub
9: kanahina
8: Palama Kid
5.25: helen
5: kiwidiva

Whew! Please check your scores! They are playing the music in this Starbucks REALLY loudly and it's affecting my concentration!

ps: don't forget to tell me whether or not an audio question would give you problems because you don't have a high-speed net connection, please!

zztype
November 13th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Oh, crap! I forgot to put in my answers! Preoccupied!

Now gotta fight harder to beat the goat lady!

lavagal
November 13th, 2007, 08:32 PM

she put a spell on you!

infinitypro
November 13th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Here's a link to UHF (http://www.moviequotes.com/fullquote.cgi?qnum=60008) point?

Okay, "with its varieties" could mean that the "flavors" are the "variety" and served with its varieties is steak (http://onokinegrindz.typepad.com/ono_kine_grindz/2004/12/taes_teppanyaki.html)?

Working it for a couple of extra points. :D

infinitypro
November 13th, 2007, 08:40 PM

That was me last night! :o

scrivener
November 13th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Here are the questions for Day 11!

Category: He'll Give You a Ring
What former high-school teacher, the acknowledged sensei of amateur sumo in Hawaii, hosts sumo training and contests at a dohyo he's built at his own home?

Category: You Be Illin'
According to the old adage, what food should not be consumed (for health reasons) during the months of May, June, July, and August?

Category: Water You Doing?
In what music video does a boy struggle to hold the lid of his classroom desk shut while water tries to flow out of it?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 14! Good luck, and have fun!

liberty
November 13th, 2007, 11:28 PM

Haha! Wow, I totally missed these last set of questions. Too busy watching the marching bands at last night's Rainbow Invitational. :)

acousticlady
November 14th, 2007, 02:02 AM
OK - I got a little cocky with the last set - telling Scriv they were too easy. I'll give on the Cram thing. I never even looked it up - just said Double Dare. But...... at the risk of prtesting too much :D........ I have to argue on the side dish thing. I didn't say raw julienne poatatoes because it wasn't ON THE SIDE. The steak was wrapped around them - making them a part of the entree. In much the same way if you ordered Courdon Bleu. The chicken is wrapped around (or "stuffed") with the ham and cheese. You wouldn't call the ham and cheese a side dish. I even asked acoustic guy (who is a chef) and he agrees. You specifically asked what did it come with? Because of the Cordon Bleu arguement I specifically left it out.

I don't know, I think Tutusue, Mel and I deserve an extra half point.....;)

Kalei99
November 14th, 2007, 03:36 AM

I was wondering what happened to you -- thought you gave up! :D

But I wont back down! ~Evil Goat Lady (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu3iBOCkB_0)~

tutusue
November 14th, 2007, 06:52 AM
[...]I don't know, I think Tutusue, Mel and I deserve an extra half point.....;)
Me, too! 'Cept I did mention the raw potatoes. It was the *only* side I mentioned! And, no more "too easy" comments to Scriv, ya hear?! :D

Leo Lakio
November 14th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Me, too! 'Cept I did mention the raw potatoes. It was the *only* side I mentioned! I almost mentioned the raw potatoes, but only said "garlic rice," based on this (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpost.php?p=77857&postcount=152) old post of Scrivener's. Worth a half-point for mentioning one side (if not all), as did tutusue, acousticlady, and mel?

scrivener
November 14th, 2007, 07:43 AM
I almost mentioned the raw potatoes, but only said "garlic rice," based on this (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpost.php?p=77857&postcount=152) old post of Scrivener's. Worth a half-point for mentioning one side (if not all), as did tutusue, acousticlady, and mel?

It would have been, if garlic rice came with all the plates. You have to ask for it.

Leo Lakio
November 14th, 2007, 08:13 AM
It would have been, if garlic rice came with all the plates. You have to ask for it.Well, you asked what is served with the plates - and if you request it, of course it would be served with ...

...yeah, I know, I know; pretty weak argument. I'm dropping it now; but I hadda ask. On to Day 11! (I have two answers, am still researching one.)

tutusue
November 14th, 2007, 08:24 AM
[...]On to Day 11! (I have two answers, am still researching one.)
Please PM those 2 answers to me! I don't have time to play today! :D

Kalei99
November 14th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Please PM those 2 answers to me! I don't have time to play today! :D

Ditto....I'm too tired to research today. I accept all forms of FREE answers. :D

Leo Lakio
November 14th, 2007, 11:02 AM
I accept all forms of FREE answers. :DThey'll be as useful as the secrets you revealed earlier, garans.

zztype
November 14th, 2007, 11:58 AM
For you busy people:

Here are the answers for Day 11!

1. Category: He'll Give You a Ring
What former high-school teacher, the acknowledged sensei of amateur sumo in Hawaii, hosts sumo training and contests at a dohyo he's built at his own home?

Robert Kekaula.

2. Category: You Be Illin'
According to the old adage, what food should not be consumed (for health reasons) during the months of May, June, July, and August?

Any roadkill, especially goats, "harvested" in December, January, February or March.

3. Category: Water You Doing?
In what music video does a boy struggle to hold the lid of his classroom desk shut while water tries to flow out of it?

Van Halen's "Hot For Teacher" or the Beatles' "Fixin' A Hole."

Hope that helps.

Blaine

Leo Lakio
November 14th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Van Halen's "Hot For Teacher"Specifically, the recent "Hogwarts Video Remix," where it is revealed that Harry Potter is hot for the recently out-ed Dumbledore. :D

zztype
November 14th, 2007, 01:00 PM
For you busy people:

3. Category: Water You Doing?

Van Halen's "Hot For Teacher" or the Beatles' "Fixin' A Hole."

Hope that helps.

Blaine

Maybe more correctly, it was The Beatles' "Fixin A-Hole"?

Kalei99
November 14th, 2007, 02:06 PM

Gee, thanks brother! I KNEW it was that Beatles song! Don't forget to forget to submit your answers. :D

scrivener
November 14th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Hilarious! Where's that reputation icon when you need it? :)

zztype
November 14th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Gee, thanks brother! I KNEW it was that Beatles song! Don't forget to forget to submit your answers. :D

Oh, don't worry. I already submitted yours to Scrivener. :D

lavagal
November 14th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Oh, don't worry. I already submitted yours to Scrivener. :D

I could get in trouble for looking like I'm having such a good time while at work!

Leo Lakio
November 14th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Hey, Kalei99 & zztype --- keep distracting each other so you forget to submit answers - then I can catch up and pass you!

(Oh wait - I have to submit correct ones, too, yeah? Dayam. Submit "garlic rice" as one of your answers, guys - doesn't matter which one.)

lavagal
November 14th, 2007, 06:41 PM
oh my gosh those were difficult for me!

1. Paul Ruben
2. Foccaccia
3. Bruce Springsteen, The River

scrivener
November 14th, 2007, 08:32 PM

Category: He'll Give You a Ring
John Jacques, a former Kahuku High School teacher and wrestling coach, is the guy they always interview when someone wants to know about sumo in Hawaii, and it is at his house in Hauula or Punaluu that the dohyo is located. My dad was friends with a guy who knew him, and I spent a couple of Saturdays at the house when I was a kid. Google him and you'll see what I'm talking about. Yes, there are a few people who fit most of the description, but not the high-school teacher part and certainly not the dohyo at his home part!

Promotions out of juryo go to Mike_Lowery, liberty, Leo Lakio, Surfingfarmboy, Kalei99, and acousticlady for getting that right!

InfinityProductions, if you had called one of the Heffernans, I guarantee you they'd have given you the straight dope!

Category: You Be Illin'
The adage says that you are probably safe eating oysters (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=oysters+r&btnG=Google+Search) in months whose names contain an R. If you can demonstrate that there are other adages (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adage) that also qualify, please let me know!

Meanwhile, shoyu and tabasco go to Leo Lakio, Surfingfarmboy, Kalei99, acousticlady, lavagal, and InfinityProductions for being so shellfish.

Category: Water You Doing?
"You have no scars on your face / and you cannot handle PRESSURE!"
It's Billy Joel's "Pressure," one of the cooler concept videos of the 80s. I asked a non-participating HTer the question as a test, and she got it RIGHT OFF, so I don't think this one was TOO hard!

A bottle of red and a bottle of white for Leo Lakio, Surfingfarmboy, and Kalei99 for getting that one right! Did you guys ask around, remember the video yourselves, or flex your Google-fu?

I'm too tired to deal with disputed questions this evening...I'm happy to do it, but I don't have the energy tonight after working on my overdue paper!

So here are the current scores, without a few corrections that will probably be made tomorrow!

Look at the huge leap Surfingfarmboy (our three-time defending champion) made in just one day! Let this be an encouragement to you all, because we still have plenty of game left!

29.50: Kalei99
24.5: Leo Lakio
23.75: Surfingfarmboy
23.5: liberty
23: acousticlady
21.5: zztype
21.25: tutusue
21: InfinityProductions
20.5: lavagal
15.75: CranBeree
15: mel
11.5: Mike_Lowery
9: kanahina
5.25: helen
5: kiwidiva

New questions! Next! Post!

zztype
November 14th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Hey, W.T.H.?!!! Are you feeding "Goat Lady" the answers on the side?

What did she promise you? A bottle of some secret sauce? Don't believe it!

Wait till you see what's in the bribe "omiyage" from Utah. Likely it will consist of a bottle of melted snow picked up at the ABC Store in Waikiki, just before the payoff rendezvous!

Hmph! :mad:

scrivener
November 14th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Here are the questions for Day 12!

Category: Fallen
The USS Arizona Memorial is one of the most-often visited attractions in Hawaii, but do you know there's another memorial to another sunken ship nearby, just across Ford Island? It is not just a marker, but a full-on memorial built right alongside the wreckage, which remains to this day the final resting place of an unknown number of American sailors. What ship is memorialized thus?

Category: Run and Hide
You soak the hides of animals (usually cattle) in an alkaline solution for some time, then soak them in acid to detach (or disintegrate) hair, meat, and other unwanteds, then wash them in water to get them clean, then cook them in water, then filter and dry the goo that results. What have you made?

Category: The Color of Money
What are the colors in Krzysztof Kieślowski's "Three Colors?"

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 15! Good luck, and have fun!

scrivener
November 14th, 2007, 09:06 PM

Hey, nobody accused Surfingfarmboy of bribing me with favors or affections! This is not to say he didn't, but nobody accused him of it!

This is also not to say that I cannot be bought. I do have a price, but if you're a guy, you can't pay it!

tutusue
November 14th, 2007, 09:07 PM
[...]John Jacques, a former Kahuku High School teacher and wrestling coach, is the guy they always interview when someone wants to know about sumo in Hawaii,[...]
This question drove me nuts 'cuz I've spoken with John a couple of times over the years when I was casting sumos. I couldn't, for the life of me, remember his name and it was too late to call our mutual friend last night! Dayam!

The adage says that you are probably safe eating oysters (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=oysters+r&btnG=Google+Search) in months whose names contain an R.[...]
I had the right answer for that one!

"You have no scars on your face / and you cannot handle PRESSURE!"
It's Billy Joel's "Pressure,"[...]
I never woulda got that one. Dayam.

Double dayam...my one correct answer is still sitting on my desktop. I forgot to submit it! :o

scrivener
November 14th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Double dayam...my one correct answer is still sitting on my desktop. I forgot to submit it!
It's almost as if you're all COLLUDING to give the victory to Kalei! Don't do that, even if it WOULD drive Blaine crazy!

zztype
November 14th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Blaine crazy!

Who? Me? Crazy? What makes you think that? Did the Goat Lady put you up to this? *hmmmmmm*

Kalei99
November 15th, 2007, 03:36 AM
Hey, Kalei99 & zztype --- keep distracting each other so you forget to submit answers - then I can catch up and pass you!

(Oh wait - I have to submit correct ones, too, yeah? Dayam. Submit "garlic rice" as one of your answers, guys - doesn't matter which one.)

Hey I gave "garlic rice" on three different occassions and got a point for each, didn't you? :D
I have some travel days coming up so I may miss answering on those days. I need all the "cushion" I can get. ;)

Wait till you see what's in the bribe "omiyage" from Utah. Likely it will consist of a bottle of melted snow picked up at the ABC Store in Waikiki, just before the payoff rendezvous!

Hmph! :mad:

Hey....you had time to post FAKE answers but forgot to submit your real answers?? I thought you'd get the Billy Joel question foa sua! Sumtin's fishy! And it aint my breath.....well, maybe my breath...but still!

lavagal
November 15th, 2007, 06:30 AM
I have to say my first Google hit was John Jaques, and so I have to kick myself for spending HOURS to submit the wrong answer, neglecting my family, etc. I never would have gotten anything about Billy Joel if it came out after 1974.

Speaking of music videos, this morning at 24HF I couldn't locate the remote control, so I was stuck watching MTV or VH1 or something, I have no idea what. I was grateful when someone found it. But when she turned on the same news channel that was playing on the right (FOX), I convinced her to go to CNN and she did. We need balance, fox on the right, CNN on the left and I'm in the middle.

Music videos these days are like watching soft porn. Now, I'm no FOX fan, but, sheesh, I'm really not interested in seeing women writhing in push-up bras as they sing about some guy's superfly.

scrivener
November 15th, 2007, 06:34 AM
I'm really not interested in seeing women writhing in push-up bras as they sing about some guy's superfly.
Then why are you at the gym?

pzarquon
November 15th, 2007, 06:35 AM
I do have a price, but if you're a guy, you can't pay it!Hilarious.

lavagal
November 15th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Then why are you at the gym?

Because I wanna look good in a pushup bra, etc. What do you THINK?

Leo Lakio
November 15th, 2007, 06:53 AM
A bottle of red and a bottle of white for Leo Lakio, Surfingfarmboy, and Kalei99 for getting that one right! Did you guys ask around, remember the video yourselves, or flex your Google-fu?Honestly? I checked a couple videos I thought it might be, then asked a video producer with whom I used to work. He knew it immediately.
Look at the huge leap Surfingfarmboy (our three-time defending champion) made in just one day! Let this be an encouragement to you all, because we still have plenty of game left!Are ya listening, Mike_Lowery?

liberty
November 15th, 2007, 05:02 PM
The adage says that you are probably safe eating oysters (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=oysters+r&btnG=Google+Search) in months whose names contain an R. If you can demonstrate that there are other adages (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adage) that also qualify, please let me know!

This post (http://thecookscottage.typepad.com/curry/2005/04/goan_prawn_curr.html) talks about shellfish and fish, so I put seafood as my answer.

tutusue
November 15th, 2007, 08:09 PM
This post (http://thecookscottage.typepad.com/curry/2005/04/goan_prawn_curr.html) talks about shellfish and fish, so I put seafood as my answer.
Interesting link! I was raised in a beach town and ate lotsa fresh-from-the-sea-that-very-day fish and shellfish growing up. I have nothing to cite but I remember my parents mentioning no shellfish during months with no 'r'...and oysters in particular. We had a 12 month love affair with fresh fish every year, tho'. No 'r' bans!

infinitypro
November 15th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Missed the deadline again, I was at Lahaina Cannery Mall watching the Polynesian Show. :o

scrivener
November 15th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Here are the answers for Day 12!

Category: Fallen
The USS Arizona Memorial is one of the most-often visited attractions in Hawaii, but do you know there's another memorial to another sunken ship nearby, just across Ford Island? It is not just a marker, but a full-on memorial built right alongside the wreckage, which remains to this day the final resting place of an unknown number of American sailors. What ship is memorialized thus?
That would be the U.S.S. Utah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Utah_(BB-31)). If you get a chance, check out the link. Wikipedia's write-up of that infamous day is quite gripping. I've been out there. It's a quiet, serious place.

zztype, helen, tutusue, Mike_Lowery, Leo Lakio, kiwidiva, Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy, acousticlady, liberty, mel, and kanahina all got that one right!

zztype says: *Wonders if this is a secret "gimme" question for Goat Lady. Utah is where Goat Lady lives.*

Kalei99 says: "I can already see it comin'....Blaine's really gonna think conspiracy now...since I LIVE in Utah!"

Category: Run and Hide
You soak the hides of animals (usually cattle) in an alkaline solution for some time, then soak them in acid to detach (or disintegrate) hair, meat, and other unwanteds, then wash them in water to get them clean, then cook them in water, then filter and dry the goo that results. What have you made?
I believe (but am not totally sure) that "leather" is out, because of the cooking. I was going for gelatin, but I'm taking "glue" too, because the process of making hide glue is very, very close to what I had in mind and definitely described by the process I laid out.

The hides of some dead animal go to Mike_Lowery, Leo Lakio, Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy, lavagal, and kanahina, who all stuck that one out.

Says Surfingfarmboy: "All vegetarians know the answer to this: Gelatin. BTW, there is vegetarian gelatin available; Hain Products is one company makes fruit-flavored gelatin in various fruit flavors, orange being the best. "Kosher" gelatin, for what I know about it, is also veggie, it (like most veggie gelatins) being carrageenan based."

I believe the vegan version is made from agar-agar. According to a kosher food site I looked at, believe it or not, gelatin is a vegetarian product AND kosher-eligible, because when the collagen is turned into gelatin, the resulting chemical composition does not resemble the living tissue of any animal. Of course, not vegan at all!

Who's up for some strawberry Jell-0?

Category: The Color of Money
What are the colors in Krzysztof Kieślowski's "Three Colors?"
Blue, White, and Red. I haven't seen them, but they've been on my list forever! Who can recommend them?

zztype, helen, tutusue, Mike_Lowery, Leo Lakio, kiwidiva, Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy, lavagal, acousticlady, liberty, mel, and kanahina all got that one right!

A few adjustments:
CranBeree gets 1 point for her Close Encounters answer. She got it right, but I left it off.

liberty, your link for the oyster question isn't convincing enough. It's one person's blog from India...can you find more evidence that seafood is one of those "that's what they say" things?

InfinityProductions, you definitely don't get a point for "steak." And I need a better synopsis of UHF than the one you gave; specifically, I'm looking for whether or not he sculpts the mashed-potato mountain while his family watches.

I'm still thinking about acousticlady's rationale for leaving the potatoes out of the teppan-yaki question, but am leaning toward the point. Too tired right now to think about it.

And here are the current standings!
32.50: Kalei99
27.5: Leo Lakio
26.75: Surfingfarmboy
25.5: liberty
25: acousticlady
23.5: zztype, tutusue, lavagal
17: mel
16.75: CranBeree
14.5: Mike_Lowery
12: kanahina
7.25: helen
7: kiwidiva

Why do I have a feeling there are going to be a few appeals for "leather?" :)

scrivener
November 15th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Here are the questions for Day 13!

Category: Villain the Blanks
Who's this?
http://mitchellkdwyer.net/stuff/triviaimage11-15.jpg

Category: In Lane Sight
In many Oahu neighborhoods, painted lines and yellow reflectors
separate lanes of traffic moving in opposite directions, but there is
an occasional blue reflector amongst them. What does the blue
reflector indicate, and why is it never in line with the lines and
yellow reflectors?

Category: Sparky
In what Indiana town was the first electric chair built?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Friday, November 16! Good luck, and have fun!

tutusue
November 15th, 2007, 08:47 PM
[...]Why do I have a feeling there are going to be a few appeals for "leather?" :)
Oh...ok! I'll appeal! I'll also appeal for collagen! ;)

scrivener
November 15th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Oh...ok! I'll appeal! I'll also appeal for collagen! ;)
I might have taken collagen, but it was one of three answers, two of which were followed by question marks!

Mike_Lowery
November 15th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Are ya listening, Mike_Lowery?

Thanks for pointing it out, Leo. I'm locked and loaded, and ready to battle. :D

When it comes to this trivia thread, I'd fight everyone competing on the spot if I ran into them in public. :)

Lakers Ikimasho!

tutusue
November 15th, 2007, 09:25 PM
I might have taken collagen, but it was one of three answers, two of which were followed by question marks!
<picky><picky> :D

zztype
November 15th, 2007, 09:27 PM

I did the same thing. I listed gelatin, but it had a question mark after it. I was disqualed, too. I am appealing.

Supreme Court, buddy. Better watch out, I might jump into Honolulu Harbor or something equally stupid!

scrivener
November 15th, 2007, 09:33 PM
I haven't decided on yours yet, because it was your last answer, and according to the rules, I take the last answer as the official submission.

But think about it. If it had been a true/false question, and your answer had been "True? False?" would you have expected credit if the answer were "false?"

zztype
November 15th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I haven't decided on yours yet, because it was your last answer, and according to the rules, I take the last answer as the official submission.

But think about it. If it had been a true/false question, and your answer had been "True? False?" would you have expected credit if the answer were "false?"

No, I would not expect credit for "false?", but this was not a true-false question.

Guess we need a "Lock in your final answer" button. :)

scrivener
November 15th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Okay, so let's say the question began with, "Which of Snow White's dwarfs...?" and your answer had been:

"Sleepy! It's got to be Sleepy! Right?
Or is it Sneezy?
Or Doc?
Wait, could it be Dopey?
It's not Happy or Bashful, is it?
Um, Grumpy?"

And let's say the answer is Grumpy. Should you get credit for THAT?

liberty
November 15th, 2007, 10:17 PM
liberty, your link for the oyster question isn't convincing enough. It's one person's blog from India...can you find more evidence that seafood is one of those "that's what they say" things?

Hmm, can't find anything else. I'll concede. :)

Kalei99
November 16th, 2007, 05:21 AM
While researching today's questions I came upon this cool site: Hero Machine (http://www.ugo.com/channels/comics/heroMachine2/heromachine2.asp) Make your own Super Hero (or Villain). :D

For you, Blaine....

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e256/kalei99/GoatLady2.jpg

Have fun! And, oh....and this is just another ploy to side track everyone form answering today's questions! :D

Mike_Lowery
November 16th, 2007, 07:07 AM
While researching today's questions I came upon this cool site: Hero Machine (http://www.ugo.com/channels/comics/heroMachine2/heromachine2.asp) Make your own Super Hero (or Villain).

For you, Blaine....

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e256/kalei99/GoatLady2.jpg

Have fun! And, oh....and this is just another ploy to side track everyone form answering today's questions! :D
:eek: check the hooves on that broa--I mean, woman!

Leo Lakio
November 16th, 2007, 07:18 AM
A few adjustments:
And here are the current standings!
32.50: Kalei99
27.5: Leo Lakio
Still awaiting the results of my appeal for question #2, day 10...
I need every point I can get, in pursuit of "Goat Lady."

Who's this?
Dick Cheney is gonna invite you hunting soon, Scrivener. My advice is to decline.

Oh. And remember this (http://toothpastefordinner.com/120805/comic-book-habit.gif).

Kalei99
November 16th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Still awaiting the results of my appeal for question #2, day 10...
I need every point I can get, in pursuit of "Goat Lady."
Dick Cheney is gonna invite you hunting soon, Scrivener. My advice is to decline.

Hahaha And I'm still appealing my (and Liberty's) correct answer to the Modesto Bee question! Need every point I can get to stay AHEAD of you as I see you've been answering every question correctly! :eek:

acousticlady
November 16th, 2007, 07:51 AM
I'm still thinking about acousticlady's rationale for leaving the potatoes out of the teppan-yaki question, but am leaning toward the point. Too tired right now to think about it.

Why do I have a feeling there are going to be a few appeals for "leather?"

I'll make a deal.... give me the point for the teppan-yaki and I'll concede on the leather question :p Actually, I knew leather was wrong and was pretty sure glue was too. Never thought of gelatin. Now that I know how it's made I'm going to rethink that strawberry jell-o.

I think zztype should be a nice big brother and take his baby sister out on the town while she's visiting. Take a few days, show her the sights she hasn't seen in awhile. Keep her busy and out late. You know, past 9........:D. I'll work a deal with you Blaine. Keep her busy and I'll feed you the answers (just enough to stay behind me of course).

zztype
November 16th, 2007, 11:34 AM
I think zztype should be a nice big brother and take his baby sister out on the town while she's visiting. Take a few days, show her the sights she hasn't seen in awhile. Keep her busy and out late. You know, past 9........:D. I'll work a deal with you Blaine. Keep her busy and I'll feed you the answers (just enough to stay behind me of course).

Don't you worry about Goat Lady... hehehe... we'll take GOOD care of her. Hehehe. Can you say:

"Oops, the internet died! I wonder what happened?"

"Oops, the laptop fell in the pool! Auwe! You lost everything!"

"Oops, I spilled turkey gravy in your laptop keyboard! Yes, sloppy of me, a whole quart! Guess I'll have to buy you another one... for Christmas. Or maybe Easter."

Leo Lakio
November 16th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Perfect examples of why the AF is glad to be an only child...

Oh, and a half-way through message to Scrivener: thanks for all the work to put this together again; I'm having a good time with it.

tutusue
November 16th, 2007, 12:59 PM
[...]Oh, and a half-way through message to Scrivener: thanks for all the work to put this together again; I'm having a good time with it.
Me, too...mostly watching the sibling rivalry and fighting with Scriv for my half and quarter points! :D

Kalei99
November 16th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Don't you worry about Goat Lady... hehehe... we'll take GOOD care of her. Hehehe. Can you say:

"Oops, the internet died! I wonder what happened?"

"Oops, the laptop fell in the pool! Auwe! You lost everything!"

"Oops, I spilled turkey gravy in your laptop keyboard! Yes, sloppy of me, a whole quart! Guess I'll have to buy you another one... for Christmas. Or maybe Easter."

Gee, brother, you're such a nice guy! But no worries, I can always BRIBE Alex to unplug YOUR internet! He loves Game Stop, right? :D

acousticlady
November 16th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Oh, and a half-way through message to Scrivener: thanks for all the work to put this together again; I'm having a good time with it.

Yeah, Scrivener deserves BIG kudos. And I love the sibling rivalry. Reminds me of home.

zztype
November 16th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Gee, brother, you're such a nice guy! But no worries, I can always BRIBE Alex to unplug YOUR internet! He loves Game Stop, right? :D

Naw, the boy accepts only CASH MONEY any more. Lots of it! :)

(And yea, mahalo nui Scriv. Keep 'em coming!)

scrivener
November 16th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Here are the answers for Day 13!

Category: Villain the Blanks
Who's this?
DARKSEID!!!!! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkseid)
One point and one trip to the comics store for Mike_Lowery, helen, CranBeree, Kalei99, tutusue, kanahina, and Peshkwe! I'm not at all surprised that helen got this, but the rest of you? DiverDown must be a closeted comics geek, and Mike_Lowery submitted his answers like a minute after I posted the questions!

For the record, I'm not a comics geek, but I know I could be if I allowed myself to be. I'm a sucker for a good story, but I've managed to keep myself away from comics because I just can't afford another obsession in my life.

Category: In Lane Sight
In many Oahu neighborhoods, painted lines and yellow reflectors
separate lanes of traffic moving in opposite directions, but there is
an occasional blue reflector amongst them. What does the blue
reflector indicate, and why is it never in line with the lines and
yellow reflectors?
There are two parts to this question, so you got the whole point if you answered both parts and half a point for answering one part.

The blue reflectors indicate the presence of a nearby fire hydrant. They are offset in order to tell firefighters which side of the road the hydrants are on.

Full points for zztype, liberty, Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy, tutusue, and kanahina!
Half-points for Mike_Lowery, helen, CranBeree, lavagal, Leo Lakio, Peshkwe, acousticlady, and mel!

Category: Sparky
In what Indiana town was the first electric chair built?
Rising Sun. Yes, there are conflicting reports about where the first chair was built, but you all understood that I was looking for THIS town! Surfingfarmboy has been there. Was it a shocking experience? Ask him!

One-point-twenty-one-gigawatts to Mike_Lowery, zztype, liberty, CranBeree, Kalei99, lavagal, Surfingfarmboy, Leo Lakio, tutusue, Peshkwe, acousticlady, kanahina, and mel!

Okie Dokie! Here are the current (hahahahaha!) scores!
Still considering some of the appeals. Patience.

35.50: Kalei99
29: Leo Lakio
28.75: Surfingfarmboy
27.5: liberty
26.5: tutusue, acousticlady
25.5: zztype,
25: lavagal
19.25: CranBeree
18.5: mel
17: Mike_Lowery
15: kanahina
8.75: helen
3.5: Peshkwe

Thanks for participating! New questions -----> Next post!

scrivener
November 16th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Here are the questions for Day 14!

Four points up for grabs today! Good luck!

Category: Training Algebra
In either standard or "graphing" form, what is the equation that
generates this graph? Please assume that the graph continues in
both directions indefinitely...I forgot to draw arrows on the graph.
http://mitchellkdwyer.net/stuff/triviaimage11-16a.jpg

Category: Microsoft What?
These names of local prominence were "corrected" using Microsoft
Word's spell-checker. For one-fourth of a point each, what were the
"wrong" spellings?

Koala Riches
Maize Heron
Mafia Hangman
Tail Carrier
Canoe Leashed
Bridal Zip
Angelic Cubic-Timer
Parquet

Category: Name and Address
What well-known sentence did Kauikeaouli first deliver publicly in
a speech given in 1843?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Saturday, November 17! Good luck, and beat Kalei!

scrivener
November 16th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I just have to say I'm unreasonably pleased with myself about the #2 question, even though it doesn't really fall into the realm of "trivia." Puzzles are trivial, though, and I love puzzles. :)

zztype
November 16th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I just have to say I'm unreasonably pleased with myself about the #2 question, even though it doesn't really fall into the realm of "trivia." Puzzles are trivial, though, and I love puzzles. :)

Oh, no, that's the best one!

That one is making my brain WORK.

liberty
November 17th, 2007, 12:53 AM

Me three... especially word puzzles. Don't know about that math one, though!

acousticlady
November 17th, 2007, 01:39 AM
I think we need a whole lot more like number 1!

Peshkwe
November 17th, 2007, 04:39 AM
One point and one trip to the comics store for Mike_Lowery, helen, CranBeree, Kalei99, tutusue, kanahina, and Peshkwe! I'm not at all surprised that helen got this, but the rest of you? DiverDown must be a closeted comics geek, and Mike_Lowery submitted his answers like a minute after I posted the questions!

For the record, I'm not a comics geek, but I know I could be if I allowed myself to be. I'm a sucker for a good story, but I've managed to keep myself away from comics because I just can't afford another obsession in my life.

I'm more into Marvel, I recognized him, knew he was from the DC universe, knew he was from either The Bats or Supes....but couldn't remember his name, 'seed' was what came to me but I knew that was way wrong.

So I tagged compatriot in geekdom and my personal DCverse encyclopedia, Pali.

Scriv, you might want to check out graphic novels or compilations of story arcs done up in graphic novel style.

Oh and check out "Morbus Gravis" by Paolo Eleuteri Serpieri ;)

Kalei99
November 17th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Here are the answers for Day 13!

One point and one trip to the comics store for Mike_Lowery, helen, CranBeree, Kalei99, tutusue, kanahina, and Peshkwe! I'm not at all surprised that helen got this, but the rest of you?

OK, so I know NOTHING about comic books (except Archie & Casper - loved those as a kid). So I typed "comic book villains list" into Google. Clicked on the 1st link: (Top Ten Comic Book Super Villains (http://comicbooks.about.com/od/characters/tp/toptenvillains.htm)). There he was, #7. But I wanted to confirm it was Darkseid because although the picture looked similar to yours, it wasn't exact.
So next, I typed "Darkseid" into Google. Clicked on the Images link (cause I wanted to find YOUR picture). There it was - 5th picture (http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/comicbookland/one_comics_megaseries_ends_another_begins_58822.as p). Clicked on the image to confirm it was Darkseid and submitted the link to you.
Took all of 2 minutes.
There. One of my secrets. But that's the LAST one! Muwahahaha :D

~Goat Lady~

Leo Lakio
November 17th, 2007, 07:11 AM
OK, so I know NOTHING about comic books (except Archie & Casper - loved those as a kid). So I typed "comic book villains list" into Google. Clicked on the 1st link: (Top Ten Comic Book Super Villains (http://comicbooks.about.com/od/characters/tp/toptenvillains.htm)). There he was, #7.Well, dayam. I did the same exact search, but didn't look at that "top ten" link. Instead, I spent far too much time looking at dozens of pictures at more encyclopedic list sites. (I also tried it as an "image" search first.)

A perfect example of "too much information." Shoulda looked at the simpler sites. And that's why I didn't get the point.

acousticlady
November 17th, 2007, 07:27 AM
I did the same thing as Leo. Only now I think I've taken this whole thing to a new level. At some point in the middle of the night I woke up and said - "Space Ghost, that's where he's from! Nah, couldn't be that." And went back to sleep. You know it's really bad when you start to dream of trivia answers!

Leo Lakio
November 17th, 2007, 07:38 AM
You know it's really bad when you start to dream of trivia answers!My dreams are often trivial. This morning, however, I woke from a dream to realize that I was dreaming of puns. (Which is only frightening if I start to share them with you...)

infinitypro
November 17th, 2007, 10:09 AM
I better answer now, since 3 times this week I've missed the deadline :o

scrivener
November 17th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Here are the answers for Day 14!

Category: Training Algebra
In either standard or "graphing" form, what is the equation that
generates this graph? Please assume that the graph continues in
both directions indefinitely...I forgot to draw arrows on the graph.
http://mitchellkdwyer.net/stuff/triviaimage11-16a.jpg
In graphing form, y=a(x-h)^2+k, where (h, k) is the vertex of the parabola and a dictates the direction and shape of the parabola. Since this is a standard parabola pointed downward, a in this case is -1.

So the answer is y=-(x-2)^2+3 in graphing form.
In standard form (remember FOIL from your intermediate school days?): y=-x^2+4x-1.

* ^2 means "raised to the second power"

So TAN(45) points go to Mike_Lowery, liberty, Kalei99, helen, Leo Lakio, and acousticlady (the only one to submit in standard form) for getting that right! Note to helen for future reference: an equation has an EQUALS sign in it! You're lucky this math teacher is benevolent!

Best wrong answers:
Peshkwe: "It's not a math problem....it's tutusue's avatar's mamogram."
tutusue: "Pie = mc hammer squared and broke???"
zztype: "Ah crap. I'm dancing all around it, but can't come up with a definitive answer. Blah. I pass. It's too painful.
(Ugh. I have always hated math. Even when I finally was forced to learn trig in the Navy, I still hated it!)"
lavagal: "Beats the $h*! outta me! (Journalism major, ya know!)"

Boy, some of you needed ME for a math teacher. You'd have loved it!

Category: Microsoft What?
These names of local prominence were "corrected" using Microsoft
Word's spell-checker. For one-fourth of a point each, what were the
"wrong" spellings?

Koala Riches --> Kealii Reichel
Maize Heron --> Mazie Hirono
Mafia Hangman --> Mufi Hanneman (this is my favorite one!)
Tail Carrier --> Tia Carrere
Canoe Leashed --> Kanoa Leahey
Bridal Zip --> Braddah Iz
Angelic Cubic-Timer --> Aneli Cubi-Otineru
Parquet --> Pzarquon

Nobody was getting that Cubi-Otineru one until...after tonight's Wahine volleyball match, when kanahina and Mike_Lowery buzzed in with late corrections!

Here's how that one scored:
8 correct for 2 points: Nobody!
7 correct for 1.75 points: Mike_Lowery
6 correct for 1.5 points: liberty, Leo Lakio, mel, kanahina, InfinityProductions
5 correct for 1.25 points: Peshkwe, Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy, zztype, CranBeree
4 correct for 1 point: tutusue, acousticlady, lavagal
3 correct for .75 points: helen

That was fun!

Category: Name and Address
What well-known sentence did Kauikeaouli first deliver publicly in
a speech given in 1843?
"Ua mau ke ea o ka aina i ka pono."
I was going to say "everyone got that one," but in fact only people who submitted answers got that one! That means: Mike_Lowery, Peshkwe, Kalei99, liberty, helen, tutusue, Leo Lakio, mel, Surfingfarmboy, acousticlady, kanahina, InfinityProductions, zztype, CranBeree, and lavagal!

So here are the standings!
38.75: Kalei99
32.5: Leo Lakio
31: Surfingfarmboy
30.5: liberty
29.5: acousticlady
28.5: tutusue
27.75: zztype
27: lavagal
23.5: InfinityProductions
21.5: CranBeree
21: mel
20.75: Mike_Lowery
17.5: kanahina
11.5: helen
5.75: Peshkwe

Please check your scores!

New questions: Next post!

scrivener
November 17th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Here are the questions for Day 15!

Category: Critic Critique
When A.O. Scott, a film critic at the New York Times, recently said to Richard Roeper, “As you know, you can’t change someone’s sense of humor…or even verify that he has one!” about which film were they having a difference of opinion?

Category: Get Out the Moat
At what University was a student body King elected when he promised to build a moat full of cold beer?

Category: Moorehead State
What Emmy-winning television series features an actor who unintentionally made himself permanently bald before he was twenty-five years old?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Sunday, November 18! Good luck, and beat Kalei!

Leo Lakio
November 18th, 2007, 06:39 AM
So here are the standings!
32.5: Leo Lakio
Please check your scores!Getting concerned about the appeals process, and still awaiting a verdict on Day 10, Question 2; every point counts when you are in a cluster, y'know (Randy's right on my heels, and we all know he's got the stamina for a marathon.) My co-meritrician's legal training is causing me to push for your ruling (along with explanation, if not in my favor.)

:p (Such talk for a Sunday morning!):D

Peshkwe
November 18th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Best wrong answers:
tutusue: "Pie = mc hammer squared and broke???"
zztype: "Ah crap. I'm dancing all around it, but can't come up with a definitive answer. Blah. I pass. It's too painful.
(Ugh. I have always hated math. Even when I finally was forced to learn trig in the Navy, I still hated it!)"
lavagal: "Beats the $h*! outta me! (Journalism major, ya know!)"

Boy, some of you needed ME for a math teacher. You'd have loved it!

But you would have hated it!
Dyslexia, dyscalculia and ADD live in this noggin, I wasn't lying when I said I have the attention span of a concussed ferret. Tho it does have it's amusing repercussions, like making profs go poo flinging monkey mad in frustration.

*shrugs* Learning for me is like wandering around in one of Escher's doors and stairways etchings. Stuff goes in, ya follow it's path, but it never quite gets you where you're supposed to be going or exit where you would expect.

tutusue
November 18th, 2007, 09:06 AM
[...]So the answer is y=-(x-2)^2+3 in graphing form.
Now knowing the answer, it still doesn't make sense!

In standard form (remember FOIL from your intermediate school days?): y=-x^2+4x-1.
Nope!

[...]Best wrong answers:

And on my back, no less! :D

[...]Please check your scores![...]
No time for that. I trust ya, Scriv...I have to!!! Well, that...and I've lost track! :rolleyes:

At this point I'm absolutely thrilled Kalei99 didn't ace this one! <g>

scrivener
November 18th, 2007, 10:05 AM
But you would have hated it!
Dyslexia, dyscalculia and ADD live in this noggin, I wasn't lying when I said I have the attention span of a concussed ferret. Tho it does have it's amusing repercussions, like making profs go poo flinging monkey mad in frustration.

*shrugs* Learning for me is like wandering around in one of Escher's doors and stairways etchings. Stuff goes in, ya follow it's path, but it never quite gets you where you're supposed to be going or exit where you would expect.
Peshkwe, you clearly do not know where (and whom) I teach! My school specializes in teaching students just like you. I'm probably the weakest link in the chain around here, but there are things in place here that automatically make a difference even with mediocre teachers like me: Tiny student-teacher ratios (my largest class this year is 9; my smallest is 5), individualized instruction, and skills-based (not content-based) curricula are what make us tick.

I know you didn't ask for a lecture, but that Escher metaphor you just put up? It's not a weakness, it's just a difference. Within the structure of traditional (and even alternative, to be honest) schools, it's surely a stumbling block, but in the real world, as you probably know, it can be a huge asset (no pun intended). ADD is only a hindrance in environments that require singular focus; it's quite an advantage in settings where the ability to notice EVERYTHING is a strength.

I'd love to talk about your dyscalculia sometime. Do you actually have a diagnosis, or did you just figure it out based on your understanding of yourself?

Surfingfarmboy
November 18th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Getting concerned about the appeals process, and still awaiting a verdict on Day 10, Question 2; every point counts when you are in a cluster, y'know (Randy's right on my heels, and we all know he's got the stamina for a marathon.)

Perhaps the stamina, but no longer the knees. The consensus among my doctors is that I've probably run my last full marathon, due the rather poor condition of my knees, as well as a questionable right ACL. I've been recommended not to exceed the half-marathon distance for at least six months; after that time has past, I'll be re-evaluated. In any event, I will be running the upcoming UNICEF-Hong Kong Run For the Children Half-Marathon on December 2 (to be held outside of the Hong Kong Disneyland complex on Lantau Island) and have every intention of toeing the Ala Moana Boulevard start line of the Honolulu Marathon in '08, no matter what my physical condition is, or what my docs say. The way I figure, I started my love of marathoning in Hawaii, and I may as well end it there (if it indeed must end), to come complete the full-circle, as well.

Leo Lakio
November 18th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Learning for me is like wandering around in one of Escher's doors and stairways etchings. Stuff goes in, ya follow it's path, but it never quite gets you where you're supposed to be going or exit where you would expect.Which appeals greatly to me. I have the kind of mind that enjoys when results are re-framed in unanticipated and unexpected ways.

But I stunk at algebra, trig & calculus - though I stuck with them through college, as I briefly pursued (never completed) an additional degree in electronics engineering. I wonder what it would be like to re-learn them now, to see if I could "get" them at this point.

As for getting the equation correct for this quiz --- let's just say that Google-Fu didn't fail me that day.

Peshkwe
November 18th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Peshkwe, you clearly do not know where (and whom) I teach! My school specializes in teaching students just like you. I'm probably the weakest link in the chain around here, but there are things in place here that automatically make a difference even with mediocre teachers like me: Tiny student-teacher ratios (my largest class this year is 9; my smallest is 5), individualized instruction, and skills-based (not content-based) curricula are what make us tick.

I know you didn't ask for a lecture, but that Escher metaphor you just put up? It's not a weakness, it's just a difference. Within the structure of traditional (and even alternative, to be honest) schools, it's surely a stumbling block, but in the real world, as you probably know, it can be a huge asset (no pun intended). ADD is only a hindrance in environments that require singular focus; it's quite an advantage in settings where the ability to notice EVERYTHING is a strength.

I'd love to talk about your dyscalculia sometime. Do you actually have a diagnosis, or did you just figure it out based on your understanding of yourself?

My folks were told to take me out of school that I was retarded and I should be placed learning a 'trade'. I was 7 or 8 at the time (1964-65). My parents became incensed about that and had me IQ tested by a friend of my father's who specialized in child psych at the University of Detroit. My dad had a masters in criminal psych and my mom was an RN, they knew I wasn't retarded but really didn't know quite what the deal was. 'Word blind', 'mirror imager', and a non-language based IQ number of 147 (which my dad thought was cool beans) ...at that time I think the professionals really didn't know how to peg it either. I really don't remember much of school before 4th grade except nuns yelling and getting smacked around a lot.

I didn't really learn to read till 5th grade and was in public school. I can still barely add and got into the habit of not putting a deposits full amount into the check book as a hedge 'cause an overage was a hella lot better than rubber checks boinking all over the place. I passed math by having my girlfriend Yagoda do the math while I did her science...she had to mentally translate from Serbian to German then to English...math was easier for her...heh....bizarrely, we cheated by helping each other learn sign language and braille.

Yet in High School (1975 grad class size of 860), I was in college prep English and independent study for biology working on a project under the supervision of a vet, where I had adult rats with brain cancer and I would implant fetal brain cells into the areas where the cancer had been exsized to see if brain growth would be regenerated...only got a 'C' on it though because some dimwits broke into the lab and let all the animals out.

Was sad seeing a 6 ft tall senior bawling his eyes out 'cause the genetics experiment with white and black bunnies he'd been working on since jr high was ruined...they got eaten by the pythons and the ferrets killed some....cannibal beetles flying all over the place...man it was a mess!

scrivener
November 18th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Here are the answers for Day 15!

Category: Critic Critique
When A.O. Scott, a film critic at the New York Times, recently said to Richard Roeper, “As you know, you can’t change someone’s sense of humor…or even verify that he has one!” about which film were they having a difference of opinion?
I knew this one was too tough, but I was getting desperate and I was slightly bummed that this contest is half over and I haven't come up with a single strikeout question yet! This is the first. The answer is Margot at the Wedding (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0757361/), and it was in the Ebert & Roeper episode airing this past week (Saturday in Hawaii on KFVE). I really dig A.O. Scott as a reviewer, and I like the way he and Roeper interact.

Best wrong submission from Kalei99:

I've watched EVERY A.O. Scott-Roeper segment for 2007. How recent you talkin'? Spent too much time and still can't come up with a definitive answer - so I'll just throw one at the wall and see if it sticks: Fred Claus Why? Just BeClaus.
P.S. Tutusue's gonna be ecstatic that I missed another one!

Category: Get Out the Moat
At what University was a student body King elected when he promised to build a moat full of cold beer?
Okay, I know a lot of you got this right and even sent me the Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarchy_Party) link, but if you haven't read the whole thing, you really must. I was howling while reading both the Florida and Maryland accounts.

My favorite part:

King Tom II carried out his first campaign promise as soon as he was elected. He demanded a re-count. The re-count was denied by the administration of U-Md.[27] A local reporter interviewing King Tom suggested the Monarchists had made a mockery of the election, to which King Tom replied "It's pronounced 'Monarchy.'"
The answer I was looking for was University of Maryland (the beer moat was specific to that campaign), so hoist your tankards for Mike_Lowery, zztype, liberty, helen, Peshkwe, Leo Lakio, Kalei99, Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, lavagal, mel, CranBeree, acousticlady, tutusue, InfinityProductions, and kanahina!

Category: Moorehead State
What Emmy-winning television series features an actor who unintentionally made himself permanently bald before he was twenty-five years old?
Many of you need to learn to ANSWER THE QUESTION!
The correct answer is The Shield, whose Michael Chiklis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Chiklis) unintentionally killed his follicles with greasepaint. I am also accepting one point for Star Trek: The Next Generation whose Patrick Stewart went bald about about 19. I didn't word the question as specifically as I should have, but please note that the answer to this question is THE SHIELD.

One point for Kalei99, mel, and InfinityProductions who answered the question correctly.

Half a point each to zztype, Peshkwe, Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, CranBeree, and kanahina for getting the actor's name but not submitting the name of the show!

Here are the current standings!
40.75: Kalei99
33.5: Leo Lakio
32.5: Surfingfarmboy
31.5: liberty
30.5: acousticlady
29.5: tutusue
29.25: zztype
28: lavagal
25.5: InfinityProductions
23: mel, CranBeree
21.75: Mike_Lowery
19: kanahina
12.5: helen
9.5: jdub, Palama Kid
7.25: Peshkwe

New questions: Next post!

zztype
November 18th, 2007, 08:46 PM

The correct answer is The Shield, whose Michael Chiklis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Chiklis) unintentionally killed his follicles with greasepaint. I am also accepting one point for Star Trek: The Next Generation whose Patrick Stewart went bald about about 19. I didn't word the question as specifically as I should have, but please note that the answer to this question is THE SHIELD.

One point for Kalei99, mel, and InfinityProductions who answered the question correctly.

Half a point each to zztype, Peshkwe, Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, CranBeree, and kanahina for getting the actor's name but not submitting the name of the show!

AAAAUUUUGGHHH!!! YOU EVIL, EVIL MAN!

@scrivener uses evil, twisty words to tricks us, he does! Evil! My Precioussssssssssssss...........

scrivener
November 18th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Here are the questions for Day 16!

Category: Tap of the Toe, Wag of the Finger
What local shows bills itself in print ads as "Hawaii's First Televised Dance Competition Program," and why is this either an erroneous claim or a bald-faced lie?

Category: Pot Kills
In what arcade video game were you likely to be bonked on the head by falling flower pots and bird droppings?

Category: Cryptography
What was "borrowed" from the Royal Mausoleum and feared stolen when, five years later, its borrower was unreachable and the items still had not been returned?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Monday, November 19! Good luck, and beat Kalei!

scrivener
November 18th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Getting concerned about the appeals process, and still awaiting a verdict on Day 10, Question 2; every point counts when you are in a cluster, y'know (Randy's right on my heels, and we all know he's got the stamina for a marathon.) My co-meritrician's legal training is causing me to push for your ruling (along with explanation, if not in my favor.)

:p (Such talk for a Sunday morning!):D

Sorry. Forgot about this. I'll look at it tomorrow.

tutusue
November 18th, 2007, 09:12 PM
[...]The answer is Margot at the Wedding (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0757361/),
Ooooooh POOP! I came so close to submitting that movie then changed at the last minute. Grrrr...gotta follow my gut!

[...]
[...]
Not I! I need to learn to READ the question. What's scary is every time I opened a new link, I'd reread the question and not once did I read it right. I kinda thought Britney Spears was the wrong answer! :D

I'm absolutely thrilled, once again, that Kalei99 blew it! :p

liberty
November 18th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Ooooooh POOP! I came so close to submitting that movie then changed at the last minute. Grrrr...gotta follow my gut!

Wow... I swear, the same thing happened to me! Oh well.

Kalei99
November 19th, 2007, 04:12 AM

I knew this one was too tough, but I was getting desperate and I was slightly bummed that this contest is half over and I haven't come up with a single strikeout question yet! This is the first. The answer is Margot at the Wedding (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0757361/), and it was in the Ebert & Roeper episode airing this past week (Saturday in Hawaii on KFVE). I really dig A.O. Scott as a reviewer, and I like the way he and Roeper interact.

Man! I was going to say that, too! But I couldn't find the review on their official site. I did, however, print out their newspaper reviews and I didn't see Roeper's review of the movie - so I discounted it. Darn it!

I learned a long time ago from my husband (he taught the electrical apprenticeship in Hawaii and wrote this on the board every class) RTFQ. I knew when I saw the question that someone would read it wrong.....

I'm absolutely thrilled, once again, that Kalei99 blew it!

Yeah *sigh* blew a couple on purpose. It's so lonely at the top....:D
J/K....It pains me to miss a question! :( I'll be travelling today and tomorrow so I may miss a few more! :eek:

~GL~

Leo Lakio
November 19th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Sorry. Forgot about this. I'll look at it tomorrow.Please check your PMs for my requested appeal on day 15's question 3, too, please. If "ST:TNG" is worth a point for Patrick Stewart, then "Lost" should also be worth a point, for Terry O'Quinn.

scrivener
November 19th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Here are the answers for Day 16!

Give me another day to work out the appeals. :)

Category: Tap of the Toe, Wag of the Finger
What local shows bills itself in print ads as "Hawaii's First Televised Dance Competition Program," and why is this either an erroneous claim or a bald-faced lie?
It's Destination: Groove -- Dance Hawaii (http://www.destinationgroove.com/)! Almost everyone cited the Merrie Monarch Festival as evidence that DGDH's claim is false, although I'd say that while that's a perfectly acceptable answer, the Merrie Monarch is not exactly a TV program. Yes, it's on TV, and it is "programming," but the state legislature is often televised, and that's not a TV program. A few of you remembered Breakdance Hawaii and, before that, Hawaiian Moving Company as TV dance contests, and those were the answers I was really looking for.

Getcha bootie on the dance floor, zztype, tutusue, liberty, Kalei99, mel, Surfingfarmboy, acousticlady, kanahina, Mike_Lowery, Leo Lakio, and InfinityProductions!

Half-point for helen, Peshkwe, and CranBeree for identifying the show but not any of its predecessors. And half for lavagal for identifying the Merrie Monarch but not the new show.

From mel:
"The first dance show I recall in Hawaii was "HAWAIIAN MOVING COMPANY" on Channel 9 KGMB in the late 1970s. For about a year it was a disco show hosted by Kamasami Kong before it switched over to a magazine format hosted mostly by Michael W. Perry for a very long time.

Then in the 1980s there was "BREAKDANCE HAWAII" also on KGMB... forgot who hosted that.... maybe it was Kamasami Kong again. This was a dance competition show I believe."

Mel's right about Hawaiian Moving Company EXCEPT THIS: There was one other regular host before Michael W. Perry took the show over! Who was it? (zero point bonus question!)

Also, from Peshkwe:
"Groove Dance Hawaii...'cause the competitors cain't dance and someone should put the show out of it's misery instead of finding joy in letting it cripple around in circles on it's last three remaining legs?"

Category: Pot Kills
In what arcade video game were you likely to be bonked on the head by falling flower pots and bird droppings?
"Oh noooooooooooooooooooo!" It was Crazy Climber, and just about everyone got that right! Bonus lives for zztype, tutusue, liberty, Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy, acousticlady, Peshkwe, kanahina, Mike_Lowery, Leo Lakio, CranBeree, and InfinityProductions!

Category: Cryptography
What was "borrowed" from the Royal Mausoleum and feared stolen when, five years later, its borrower was unreachable and the items still had not been returned?
They are called pulo'ulo'u, or "kapu sticks," and they signify that ali'i are present. Shaped like balls mounted on spears (sometimes covered with kapa, though not in this case), they were returned a few days after the Star-Bulletin ran a story about their disappearance in 2005.

zztype, tutusue, liberty, Kalei99, mel, Surfingfarmboy, acousticlady, Peshkwe, kanahina, lavagal, Mike_Lowery, Leo Lakio, CranBeree, and InfinityProductions got that right!

Sooo...here are the current scores, not counting pending appeals.
43.75: Kalei99
36.5: Leo Lakio
35.5: Surfingfarmboy
34.5: liberty
33.5: acousticlady
32.5: tutusue
32.25: zztype
29.5: lavagal
28.5: InfinityProductions
25.5: CranBeree
25: mel
24.75: Mike_Lowery
22: kanahina
13: helen
9.75: Peshkwe

New questions: Next Post!

scrivener
November 19th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Here are the questions for Day 17!

1. Category: Light My Fire
According to the rules of FLAME, what did destiny have to say about Julia Roberts’s relationship with Kiefer Sutherland? You may want to explain your answer for this one.

Category: Nice to Meat You
What insect is notorious for laying its eggs on paralyzed tarantulas so that its larvae may feed on the still-living spiders?

Category: The Pen is Mightier
What goddess is most familiarly seen in America holding a book, but is sometimes depicted holding a five-pointed star, a sword, or a laurel wreath?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 20! Good luck, and beat Kalei!

Mike_Lowery
November 19th, 2007, 08:58 PM
can I go Super Saiyan and merge with someone to gain 50,000 HP and points in this game?

tutusue
November 20th, 2007, 12:17 PM
[...]Almost everyone cited the Merrie Monarch Festival as evidence that DGDH's claim is false, although I'd say that while that's a perfectly acceptable answer, the Merrie Monarch is not exactly a TV program.[...]
To split hairs even further...Merrie Monarch is, indeed, a TV program. It's not episodic like DGDH and the other 2. Merrie Monarch is a special.
;)

zztype
November 20th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Just a reminder: Lock in your answers now!

scrivener
November 20th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Here are the answers for Day 17!

Category: Light My Fire
According to the rules of FLAME, what did destiny have to say about Julia Roberts’s relationship with Kiefer Sutherland? You may want to explain your answer for this one.
Well nobody came even close, so I'm going to give everyone one more shot, with one little hint. Here's the hint:

Every experienced teacher has a little bag of tricks: They are lessons that never fail, or stories that can be used in almost any situation, or quick games that will eat up the last five or ten minutes of class for days when the lesson ends earlier than expected, or activities that will keep a group of students waiting for a field trip bus from going nutso. One of mine is an activity involving an apple. I take an apple, and reciting the alphabet in order, I twist the apple with one hand while holding the stem with the fingers of the other. "A...B...C..." When the stem breaks away from the apple, whatever letter I was on is the first initial of the person the apple's owner is going to marry (it's more fun for them if I use the students as the examples, even though it's more fun for me if I play it for myself!).

But it doesn't end there! I have the student take a few big bites from the apple, and ask the student to get three seeds out of it. The student then gives each seed a name beginning with that initial and sticks each seed to his or her forehead! When two seeds have fallen off and one remains, the name assigned to the last seed is the name of the person the student is going to marry.

There you go. There's the hint.

Category: Nice to Meat You
What insect is notorious for laying its eggs on paralyzed tarantulas so that its larvae may feed on the still-living spiders?
It is the Tarantula Hawk, which has a few alternate names. According to the article in Wikipedia the larvae, feeding upon the still-living spider, avoids eating the vital organs as long as possible, so as to keep its prey alive and fresh! MMMMMMMmmmmmmmm!

Spider-kebobs go to liberty, CranBeree, Peshkwe, Surfingfarmboy, Leo Lakio, InfinityProductions, mel, tutusue, zztype, and Mike_Lowery for getting that right!

Category: The Pen is Mightier
What goddess is most familiarly seen in America holding a book, but is sometimes depicted holding a five-pointed star, a sword, or a laurel wreath?

That would be Lady Liberty, or Columbia. Torches up for liberty (duh!), CranBeree, Peshkwe, Leo Lakio, InfinityProductions, mel, tutusue, acousticlady, Kalei99, lavagal, zztype, and Mike_Lowery!

45.75: Kalei99
38.5: Leo Lakio,
36.5: Surfingfarmboy, liberty
35.5: acousticlady
34.5: tutusue
34.25: zztype
30.5: lavagal, InfinityProductions
27.5: CranBeree
27: mel
26.75: Mike_Lowery
22: kanahina
13: helen
11.75: Peshkwe

New questions -----> Next post!

scrivener
November 20th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Here are the questions for Day 18!

Category: Flaming Up Again
Today's question #1 is yesterday's question #1. Please see the previous post for the hint.

Category: Highway to Hell
What best-selling writer was severely injured when hit by a truck while walking along a New England highway?

Category: Hawaii Do Fools Fall in Love?
What son of Kohala is memorialized in the United States Capitol building?

Question: Should we take Thursday off, or should we play?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 21! Good luck, and beat Kalei!

infinitypro
November 20th, 2007, 08:33 PM
\

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 21! Good luck, and beat Kalei!

Having missed three days in the past week, I say we PLAY, maybe others will forget and I can catch up! That is if I too, forget yet again.

zztype
November 20th, 2007, 08:36 PM

Interesting query. If we play, many will be preoccupied and possibly away from computers and will likely default.

On the positive side, Kalei99 will probably be at dinner and far from a computer when the Thursday 9 p.m. witching hour rolls around. :)

On the negative side, I will probably be sitting right next to her. :•(

On the positive side, I have an iPhone. :)

On the negative side, my wife will probably kick me if she catches me posting to a BBS during Thanksgiving Dinner. :•(

Questions, questions, questions....

I vote we take the night off. Everybody should just chill and enjoy the break. Then, back into it Friday night.

Anybody else?

Blaine

Mike_Lowery
November 20th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Post some questions. If someone's on the Internet when most people are spending time with their families, we'll see who the true winners are. :D

tutusue
November 20th, 2007, 08:55 PM
[...]
That would be Lady Liberty, or Columbia. Torches up for liberty (duh!), CranBeree, Peshkwe, Leo Lakio, InfinityProductions, mel, tutusue, acousticlady, Kalei99, lavagal, zztype, and Mike_Lowery![...]
Just waitadernminute here! Are there internet cafes on planes now?! How'd she do that? Plus she missed the other 2 questions. Sumpin's fishy! :D

scrivener
November 20th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Wait, no she didn't. She got number 2. Dangit. I'll fix it tomorrow.

tutusue
November 20th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Oooooh noooooo...<sobble>

damn fingers!

liberty
November 20th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Let's play. It's just one night. If someone really wanted to gain the three points, shouldn't they plan to submit it earlier, before Thanksgiving dinner? Or is that not feasible for some? No biggie if we decide not to play, though.

acousticlady
November 21st, 2007, 01:56 AM
Hey..... I said Tarantula Hawk as my answer. How comes I'm not listed as having it correct?

I say let's play - unless getting the questions posted is an issue for you Scrivener. I assume you're going to be having Thanksgiving dinner too. I vote that it's your decision.

Kalei99
November 21st, 2007, 07:50 AM
Just waitadernminute here! Are there internet cafes on places now?! How'd she do that? Plus she missed the other 2 questions. Sumpin's fishy! :D

Helllooooo and Alooooooha! I made to Hawaii safe and sound!
Just for you, Tutusue...I actually had to pay $65 at the Hilton for a weeks worth of internet! It was a tough decision - but when my husband asked me to check something for work at 7:00pm last night -- I just HAD to get the internet. And had just enough time to submit last night's answers. I knew you'd be disappointed if I didn't. :D
And for the record, I thought my answer for question number 1 deserved a point, too. I read the Jehovah Witness's Rules of Flame Wars - that was close enough. :o

scrivener
November 21st, 2007, 07:54 AM
Hey..... I said Tarantula Hawk as my answer. How comes I'm not listed as having it correct?
Sorry. Missed you in the list, but as you have noticed, you did get the point. In fact, so did Kalei99.

Kalei99
November 21st, 2007, 07:54 AM
I say PLAY on Thanksgiving. It'll be funny to watch Blaine wolf down his dinner so he can try and make it home in time!
Maybe I'll be like those "cocky" peole on Survivor who sit out of challenges just to eat because they know they wont be voted off that night! :D
Nahhhh......not me.

zztype
November 21st, 2007, 08:03 AM
I say PLAY on Thanksgiving. It'll be funny to watch Blaine wolf down his dinner so he can try and make it home in time!
Maybe I'll be like those "cocky" peole on Survivor who sit out of challenges just to eat because they know they wont be voted off that night! :D
Nahhhh......not me.

Remember? I get iPhone! Internet EVERYWHERE! Don't you worry about me. But I don't recall YOU having a smartphone. Hehehehe.

"Enjoying your dinner? Hehehe. I'll be right back... have some more turkey and gravy while I'm 'indisposed'... here, let me pour that for you. Hehehe."

Leo Lakio
November 21st, 2007, 08:07 AM
I say we play on Thanksgiving...everybody EXCEPT Kalei99, that is. She's too good at keeping the distance ahead of me! Blaine...initiate SSS (Sister Stop Sequence) immediately.

I'm not heading to my sister's until early afternoon, so that should give me plenty of time to research. (Say...when does this contest end, anyway? I start my new job Dec. 3, so my available research time will diminish greatly then.)

zztype
November 21st, 2007, 08:09 AM
Blaine...initiate SSS (Sister Stop Sequence) immediately.

How many points do I get for this? Must be something in it for me... :D

Leo Lakio
November 21st, 2007, 08:14 AM
How many points do I get for this? Must be something in it for me... :D4.25 - and you'll be tied with me (until Scrivener gets around to ruling in my favor on my two "appeals," that is. :D )

tutusue
November 21st, 2007, 09:25 AM
Helllooooo and Alooooooha! I made to Hawaii safe and sound!
I 'spose had you encountered bad weather and ended up stranded at the airport you still woulda found a way play...huh? Huh? HUH? :(
<ggg>

Just for you, Tutusue...I actually had to pay $65 at the Hilton for a weeks worth of internet! It was a tough decision - but when my husband asked me to check something for work at 7:00pm last night -- I just HAD to get the internet. And had just enough time to submit last night's answers. I knew you'd be disappointed if I didn't. :D [...]
Ok, Scriv, I think there needs to be a prize for the person who paid thru the nose to play this game!!! Jeez, even money doesn't stop the Goat Lady. Hrrrrrrrmph!

[...](Say...when does this contest end, anyway? I start my new job Dec. 3, so my available research time will diminish greatly then.)
Scriv? Take a week long break over Thanksgiving then extend the contest a week. That way maybe Kalei99 will be so busy traveling and LL will be so busy with his new job that they can be knocked out of 1st and 2nd place.

<now plotting how to eliminate SFB, Liberty and acousticlady. thinking...thinking very hard...:p >

acousticlady
November 21st, 2007, 10:38 AM
Sorry. Missed you in the list, but as you have noticed, you did get the point. In fact, so did Kalei99.

Dang, I was hoping you were sooo busy getting dinner ready for tomorrow that you'd forget that you gave the point :D. Now, should I bug you about that extra point that on appeal???? Or.... how about a few more math questions - and the answers can only be in standard form :p.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

scrivener
November 21st, 2007, 08:29 PM
Here are the answers for Day 18!

Category: Flaming Up Again
Today's question #1 is yesterday's question #1. Please see the previous post for the hint.
*sigh*

Okay. The hint was supposed to help you understand that when I said the "rules" of FLAME, I was talking about the rules of a game...the rules of a game that determines whether or whom people will marry or whatever, like the apple-seed game.

I recently learned that on the mainland, it's more commonly known as FLAMES, but in Hawaii when I was a teen, it was always FLAME.

Okay. So here's how it works. You take the names of the two people (usually you and whoever you have a crush on, but I'm trying to be less Googleable, so I didn't use my own name):

JULIA ROBERTS
KIEFER SUTHERLAND

You cross out the letters the two names have in common:

in common: ULIARERTS
leaving: JOBKFEHEND

That's ten letters. So you take the number 10 and you count off the letters that spell FLAME, going back to F after that E:

FLAMEFLAME

The 10 landed on E, so you cross E out and continue from wherever you left off. In this case, it's back to F:

FLAMFLAMFL

The tenth letter is L. So we cross L out and continue from where we left off; in this case that's A:

AMFAMAMFAM

Now the tenth letter is M, so we cross out M and continue where we left off; in this case, that's back to F:

FAFAFAFAFA

Now the tenth letter is A, leaving us with F!

F stands for "friends."
L stands for "lovers."
A stands for "affectionate" or "acquaintances," depending on where you went to school.
M stands for "married."
E stands for "enemies."

So according to the rules of FLAME, Julia Roberts and Kiefer Sutherland were destined only to be friends. If you want to try it out with you and your sweetie (you know you do!) you can play it online here (http://www.easycalculation.com/love/love.php).

Category: Highway to Hell
What best-selling writer was severely injured when hit by a truck while walking along a New England highway?
Stephen King. It was pointed out to me by several of you that it was a van and not a truck. Sorry! I do a lot of these by memory, and that was one of them.

These people got it right and scared the **** out of me: helen, Mike_Lowery, zztype, liberty, lavagal, Palama Kid, Leo Lakio, mel, Surfingfarmboy, CranBeree, kiwidiva, Kalei99, tutusue, Peshkwe, acousticlady, kanahina, and InfinityProductions!

Category: Hawaii Do Fools Fall in Love?
What son of Kohala is memorialized in the United States Capitol building?
Kamehameha I. Everyone who got #2 right also got #3 right...except for InfinityProductions. Sorry!

The votes are overwhelmingly in favor of playing, so we shall.

Here are the current standings:
47.75: Kalei99
40.5: Leo Lakio,
38.5: Surfingfarmboy, liberty
37.5: acousticlady
36.5: tutusue
36.25: zztype
32.5: lavagal
31.5: InfinityProductions
29.5: CranBeree
29: mel
28.75: Mike_Lowery
24: kanahina
15: helen
13.75: Peshkwe
11.5: Palama Kid
9: kiwidiva

Whew! New questions: Next Post!

edit: oops. i made a mistake in one of the steps in the FLAME game, but it's okay. you get the idea!

scrivener
November 21st, 2007, 08:47 PM
Here are the questions for Day 19!

Category: Spicy Meatball Plop Plop
Army Enough for a Man
It's the Only Way to the Friendly Skies
Finger Lickin' to the Last Drop
Let's Make Things Sound Through Research
Because You're Worth Takes a Licking
Life's Times Begin at _________.

Each weird phrase above is two advertising catch-phrases stuck together, with the word that joins them removed! For 1/4 of a point each, identify the word that's missing and identify the companies, services, or products that are being hyped. In some cases, phrases might have been shortened in order that they might make sense, but the wording (and the order of the words) remains as it was made famous. You must get the missing word and both products/companies for the quarter point. Nothing for a partial answer!

Note: For that last one, you aren't filling in the blank! You're still finding the word that goes somewhere in the middle! The blank is there so you don't see the answer!

Category: Bake Me a Cake as Fast as You Can
What comes immediately after "My name is Cinderella / I live across the street?"

Category: And Everyone Will Love You Just as Long
In each of the music-related images below, something is missing.
For one point, what one word describes the theme of the missing parts?
For another point, what is each a picture of (be specific!)?

Note: I can only post three images per post, and there are six images in all, so please make sure you look at the images in the next post!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2218/2053833167_dd7bede0db_m.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2118/2053833221_f78ba2bce6.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2364/2054617192_0d04b56d1f_m.jpg

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 22! Good luck, and beat Kalei!

scrivener
November 21st, 2007, 08:48 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2152/2054617236_e8c5955985_m.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2339/2054617276_8fcf00f99b_m.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2398/2053833393_efacd778de.jpg

These are the other three images for question #3 above!

scrivener
November 21st, 2007, 11:19 PM
For those of you who are interested in A.O. Scott's comment to Richard Roeper, I think this (http://bventertainment.go.com/tv/buenavista/ebertandroeper/index2.html?sec=1&subsec=5524) is a link. You have to sit through a commercial first, which I find annoying, since Ebert frequently talks about disliking commercials in movie theaters, but I guess one pays admission for movies in theaters, and we're not paying for the content at Ebert & Roeper, so...whatever.

Oops. I just noticed that's not A.O. Scott! Um...sorry! :) Nobody got it anyway!

zztype
November 22nd, 2007, 06:55 AM
Oops. I just noticed that's not A.O. Scott! Um...sorry! :) Nobody got it anyway!

Uh, might that be WHY nobody got it? :D