PDA

View Full Version : What's for lunch today?

pzarquon
July 1st, 2004, 02:47 PM
Let's create a thread that's dangerous to read when you're hungry: What's for lunch today? Eat anything or anywhere special? Or not? When the fancy strikes, pop in and let everyone know!

Today? Salmon shioyaki at Wisteria (coworkers and I took my mom out for a birthday lunch).

You?

Glen Miyashiro
July 1st, 2004, 02:52 PM
A hand of tart apple bananas and a crunchy juicy Fuji apple from Chinatown's fruitstands, washed down with a Coke.

Mocha
July 1st, 2004, 06:41 PM
Went to have pho at Pho Tran...on Kalakaua. Very reasonable...I had green papaya salad and my son had tofu curry. With the Entertainment book coupon the bill came out to only $6+! Since we have the Enterainment book and the PBS book we try to go to places that have 2 for 1 deals. It gives us a chance to try places we normally wouldn't go to.

helen
July 1st, 2004, 08:18 PM
Jumbo Hot Dog and Big Gulp of Diet Coke with Lime from 7-11 (was on special). Also had a turkey sandwich and a spam musubi.

mel
July 1st, 2004, 11:40 PM
Generally I eat food for lunch and nothing else.

lurkah
July 2nd, 2004, 05:45 AM
my son had tofu curry.
What is tofu curry? Is it like beef curry with tofu instead of beef?
Sounds ono.:p

Mocha
July 2nd, 2004, 09:12 AM
Yes Lurkah the tofu curry had sweet potatos, carrots, and onions too. Had just the right amount of spicy flavor...and you didn't need the beef! Onolicious :)

Albert
July 2nd, 2004, 10:58 AM
I've been testing various "frozen dinners" from Safeway at Manoa Marketplace this week, using the free microwaves at UH to heat them (one wanted FIFTEEN minutes of cooking, which I didn't notice until I was about to stick it in the oven).

Thus far, they all suck. I think I'll discontinue this test.

helen
July 2nd, 2004, 06:35 PM
Now that it's Friday should we report Friday's lunch now? If so Mushroom chicken plate lunch with fried rice.

helen
July 10th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Going out to get some manapua for brunch.

Serenity
July 10th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Helen, you going out to get manapua?
Sounds ONO.
I like the sweet kinds, with the black sugar inside.
Can get some for me?.
Maybe you can fax 'em,
or transport them through the internet :D.

Mokihana
July 11th, 2004, 10:06 AM
I stay going to one picnic on Tuesday; I going take inari sushi, pickled ginjah, maybe one rice ball wit ume insai... an teriyaki chicken an mac salad. Oh, an lychees. Going get funny kine looks I bet! :D

helen
July 12th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Went to Quiznos for lunch on Monday.

pzarquon
July 13th, 2004, 06:59 AM
Oyster sauce chicken and choi sum on cake noodle, shrimp with chinese peas, and fried rice from Ken Fong's in Chinatown. Yummy!

Albert
July 13th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Dutch Crunchy Rolls from Safeway bakery with Canadian bacon. Actually, I only got one roll and bacon because my Waianae friend arrived looking very thin so I gave him the rest of it.

p.s. When I mentioned the recent lunch at Indigo, he said "that awful food!"
:)

Mocha
July 13th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Am in N. California now (please pronounce it like Arnold does) so I've eaten at In & Out burger...very ono, Thai place...no can remembah da name, L&L (cuz by bruddah who lives in San Jose insisted.) He had Locomoco I had mixed Hawaiian plate! L&L not bad here in Vallejo ;)

pzarquon
July 13th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Chicken, squash and mushroom, along with char siu, with chow mein from Chopsticks Express (the Chinese food arm of L&L Drive-Inn). The wife had chicken katsu curry.

Albert
July 14th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Those Crusty Dutch Rolls from Safeway bakery again, this time with Swiss cheese. I know, I should have eaten some French things in honor of Bastille Day but Safeway isn't exactly overflowing with made-in-France options.

helen
July 14th, 2004, 11:23 PM
Boneless chicken and fried rice. One of these days I would like to say that I had pizza for lunch but that might be awhile.

Albert
July 18th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Frugal lunches in these days before Third Wednesday (payday for us old folks whose last names begin from N-Z). So weekend lunch has been two of those big Kaiser rolls from Safeway bakery, on Saturday dipped into beef consomme (close your eyes and pretend you're eating prime sirloin) and on Sunday dipped into Swanson's chicken broth. Too watery that stuff, should have paid a few pennies more in foodstamps and tried Campbell's version.

helen
July 18th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Black bean chicken and noodles from U Choice Drive In.

Leimamo
July 19th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Picking up some Pork Yakitori and Liver Yakitori sticks from the street vendor off Yokosuka's "Blue" street then bringing it home to eat with steamed rice. OISHI.

pzarquon
July 20th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Mmm. A Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger and a Caesar Side Salad from Wendy's. At $0.99 each, it's lunch for $2.06!

Albert
July 20th, 2004, 12:07 PM
I made a bad mistake today. I've actually been enjoying my "frugal" lunches of two Kaiser rolls from Safeway bakery and some kind of "dip", but I picked Campbell's split-pea-with-bacon soup option today. Ugh. Take me back to beef consomme.

Mocha
July 20th, 2004, 12:45 PM
L&L in Vallejo today! Had the kahlua cabbage plate! The gal that's the manager up here in the 2nd Vallejo location is originally from Salt Lake (HI) and she really likes to talk story about when she was back in HI. Her son just graduated from high school and has moved up here with her and will attend a jc in Napa. The L&L's up here are very onolicious...so if you're ever in Vallejo...support them! ;)

Glen Miyashiro
July 20th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Summer rolls from Ba-Le, and banana tapioca for dessert.

helen
July 20th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Mmm. A Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger and a Caesar Side Salad from Wendy's.

Which location was this?

Albert
July 22nd, 2004, 01:51 PM
A "healthy turkey sandwich" from a vending machine at UH-Manoa. "Healthy" means it has a slice of cucumber, a quarter-slice of tomato and some iceberg lettuce on it.

The birds got most of it, although I did eat the cucumber and tomato, since I didn't think they'd much like it.

pzarquon
July 22nd, 2004, 03:54 PM
Mmm... the famous french onion soup and sandwich combo from Nick's Cafe in Mapunapuna. The gooey cheese! The hot, tasty broth! Why this dish is so rare in the islands, I'll never understand. Brought the family there... my wife, more of an expert than I, also gave the soup a thumbs up.

Helen: My Wendy's is the Puuloa Road/Nimitz Hwy. location, since it's very close to where I work. Finally, no long drive out to Wahiawa for my fix!

helen
July 23rd, 2004, 07:03 AM
Yes I know that location, known about it since January. I was just wondering if there was yet another location.

pzarquon
July 23rd, 2004, 02:15 PM
Three "girthy" sushi rolls from Sushi Man downtown: tuna roll, ahi roll, and portuguese roll. Washed down with an overpriced 20 oz. Vanilla Coke.

helen
July 23rd, 2004, 10:28 PM
Had teri pork chops with fried rice for an early lunch. For a later afternoon snack had a pizza manapua.

Albert
July 24th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Went back to my "frugal" lunch of two Kaiser rolls from Safeway bakery and Campbell's beef consomme. I like it, the birds like it, even the cats like it. :)

helen
July 27th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Garlic fried chicken with fried rice and washed down with water.

Albert
July 28th, 2004, 01:49 PM
"Summer rolls from Ba-Le"

Ah, is it Ba-Le and not Baale? Didn't know whether the Eiffel Tower stands for another A. Whatever, they are apparently taking over the sandwich counter at Manoa Garden. "Opening soon" (which I take to mean the beginning of the new scholastic year next month when we are apparently going to be engulfed by some 18,000 students).

It's a bit strange since they have a long-established place down the hill in Puck's Alley and we already have a Subway at UH-Manoa. But I've never tested one of their sandwiches, will no doubt do so in the near future.

(Can't be worse than the crap Sodexho-Marriott puts in their vending machines, although the pigeons did fight over the "Hamburger Steak" I threw away today.)

Glen Miyashiro
July 28th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Ah, is it Ba-Le and not Baale? Didn't know whether the Eiffel Tower stands for another A.I heard that it's a Vietnamese rendition of the French pronunciation of "Paris".

pzarquon
July 28th, 2004, 10:22 PM
A simple turkey sub on plain white bread from Subway. (Man, they're getting expensive for a purveyor of floppy cold sandwiches.) On a caffeine crash, I wasn't feeling my best, and I just wanted something mild.

helen
July 28th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Pork adobo, fried rice and mac salad with a bottle of water from Creatings in Catering.

Albert
July 29th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Campbell's "Kitchen Classics" Bean-and-Bacon Soup, on sale at Long's. Long's was sold out of Nabisco saltine crackers, which they also had on sale (or would have had they not been sold out), so I bought some other, "locally-baked", crackers. Even the birds weren't much impressed with them. (I didn't insult my feathered friends by offering the soup left-overs).

helen
July 29th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Mixed plate of grilled chicken, macaroni and cheese with chicken and fried rice with a bottle of water.

helen
August 7th, 2004, 01:44 PM
BBQ chicken and hamburger steak special mix plate lunch from L&L Drive In on Young Street.

808_m3
August 7th, 2004, 02:44 PM
BBQ chicken and hamburger steak special mix plate lunch from L&L Drive In on Young Street.

I usually go for the loco moco or short ribs mini plates. Being in California, it's hard to get my coworkers into L&L...everyone seems to be hung up on this low carb, atkins diet business.

I often wonder though, it seems to be the people who really push this atkins stuff are really trying to convince themselves..but hey, whatever floats your boat...

Albert
August 7th, 2004, 03:35 PM
What I want to know, although I didn't test it today for lunch, is what these new Jack french fries are? Can't remember for sure, but doesn't the post say something like "natural cut" (or sliced?).

How does one "naturally" cut a potato? And were Jack's fries "unnaturally cut" before?

pzarquon
August 7th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Natural cut basically means "we leave the skins on." I imagine they're a bit thicker, too. I agree, calling them "natural" raises questions about the converse arrangement... but that's still preferable to what others have called them -- uncircumcised. :p

Today for lunch I had a oyako donburi from the udon place in the Ala Moana food court. I know no one will believe me, since I'm a born and raised local Japanese guy, but I think it's the first time I had that dish... at least, knowing that it was what I was eating. (I've probably created it by accident more than a few times.) Yum!

Karen
August 7th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Sunday lunch, I hope to be...Panda Express! Their fried rice is not greasy, not even slightly, and I found something that is fried tofu that is excellent, and again, not a bit greasy! how they fried tofu and it came out so dry, and I mean in a good way, is news to me, but mercy, Central Oahu needs one of these, so I don't have to drive to Pearlridge for some.

helen
August 8th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Plate lunch from U Choice Drive In.

pzarquon
August 9th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Mmm! A mochiko chicken mini plate from "Family BBQ," a relatively new Korean plate lunch place at the Airport Trade Center. Chicken, rice, and two veggies (I picked shoyu potatoes and basic corn) for $4.50 plus tax. I'll go back to my $2 lunches at Wendy's tomorrow. :p

Mocha
August 9th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Had the OnOn Monday special...1/2 duck won ton mein. Never make it there on a Monday so today was a treat. My hubby had bitter melon with chow fun noodles, they did the bitter melon just right...not over cooked. Onolicious food at OnOn Chinese restaurant :p

808_m3
August 9th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Made some home made loco mocos today. Just picked up some fresh ground beef at the local safeway. Pureed some fresh onions and garlic, mixed it into the ground beef mixture and grilled the beef patties over my gas grill.

Fried up an egg, mixed up one of those packet gravy mixes, and assembled my home made loco moco. Gooooood stuff!

pzarquon
August 9th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Rice, too? Or was that a "low carb" moco? :p

808_m3
August 9th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Rice, too? Or was that a "low carb" moco? :p

Whoops..yeah, definately the sticky white rice..forgot that one.. :D
The fresh onions and garlic really add a nice flavor to the ground beef...

Mocha
August 10th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Gosh...808's description of having homemade loco-moco made my mouth water.
Two times on the mainland my hubby, brother and I ordered loco-moco from an L&L in N. CA. Both times they "broke" the yoke so it wasn't like the style they serve here. The yoke didn't run when broken! :( The second time it happened my brother asked how come..."that's just how we do it" was the reply!

craigwatanabe
August 11th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Sassy Cassy lunch wagon in Campbell Industrial park next to the Aloha Petroleum terminal. Order the "Broke da mouth" teri plate with all the grizzle and mac salad and the pickled onions.

That's their signature plate lunch and it is really good stuff. :)

pzarquon
August 13th, 2004, 03:05 PM
A simple teriyaki burger and thick fries from "The Gazeebo," the restaurant inside Macy's downtown, along with a bottle of one of those newfangled "low carb (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=1606)" colas -- Coke C2 -- because they didn't have Diet Coke.

And I can't believe I'm forcing myself to drink Diet Coke. Damn looming 30th birthday...

helen
August 14th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Plate lunch from U-Choice Drive In, with Diet Pepsi.

kamlost
August 14th, 2004, 10:33 PM
I had a korean lunch. It was great.

helen
August 15th, 2004, 01:36 PM
A couple of Jumbo Jacks and a Diet Coke from Jack-in-the-Box.

craigwatanabe
August 16th, 2004, 09:23 AM
I don't get it, major cholesterol lunch and a diet soda?

I'd rather go light on lunch and heavy on the drink. Your body can assimilate sugar easier than cholesterol or artifical sweeteners unless you're diabetic, but then if that were the case you wouldn't be eating those kinds of lunches anyway.

I'm not chastising those who use that combination but I feel if you're going all the way when it comes to eating what you want, then go for it man!

Diet soda's do more harm to the body than the high-octane soda's (all sugar). But to drink a diet soda while eating the fat off the Kalbi is like saying I fear nothing but just in case better lock the doors anyway. :)

Some people strip the fat off their bacon eating only the morsels of real meat. Others take the skin off the chicken. But you never see someone separate the fat from the char siu in Manapua! Or boil their steak to remove any trace of fat off the cut of beef.

But here's a great observation. I joke with my friend who is weighing in at just under 400 lbs. He's been drinking Diet Coke for over 4-years now and he's gaining weight. I see more overweight people drinking diet soda's and not losing the weight because they wash down their supersized extra value meal with it expecting to lose something.

I got news for those of you, It ain't working! :eek:

Karen
August 16th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Hi Craig,

excellent, thought-provoking post of yours! I really do get your point you are making so clearly about the high-caloric meal with diet soda, and too many people do eat too many calories, then drink the diet soda. Since we're all so individual, surely some are just like your friend, while others are as I admit I have been before, and this is that I know I am eating too many calories in the meal, and grab that diet soda as to not have a single calorie more. I haven't done this in quite a long time, though. I am not allowing myself more than 1400 calories anymore, as I know long-range, I will lose the 20lbs. I am determined to lose, and at 47, I best DO this before my metabolism slows anymore.

I also have grabbed the diet soda since I know it won't encourage tooth decay, and it even helps wash the food off of my teeth, and I like this when I am where I can't brush for several hours, and know it.

From what I read, Splenda is easier for our bodies to assimilate than that Equal junk, the stuff the major soda companies, and food companies have embraced so widely. THAT stuff, I read long ago, even has a tad of grain alcohol in it, and that stuff is nothing but bad for us, but in hot drinks, the alcohol is released from the protein it is bound to, IF...I recall correctly. Anyway, I don't buy diet sodas for the home, as they're just too habit-forming, and I also watch calories now.

Ate at Ruby Tuesday's just Saturday, and will go back, but I was sure glad they put all of their foods' calories online, and I was shocked at their burgers, of which they have a great assortment! they are from approx...800 to 1677 calories. YIKES...but they have enough foods that near or barely under 500 cals, so I did well with a filling salad, plenty of chicken on it.

With a high-fat meal, people would do well to drink wine, or have a salad with plenty of vinegar, something to help keep the blood from wanting to clot. I will never get out of my mind reading about a man that had a major heart attack and he said he can't forget how many pieces of pizza he had eaten just a couple of hours before the heart attack. It isn't cholesterol that concerns me, but pure FAT content of foods, and how on earth people can not be concerned about their blood thickening-up.

Least I ramble you to sleep, that's all my thoughts for now, and thanks for your post.

Albert
August 16th, 2004, 10:30 AM
"I'd rather go light on lunch and heavy on the drink."

Oh, me too, especially if it's Bloody Marys (well, you do get to munch on a stalk of celery).

Karen
August 16th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Oh, me too, especially if it's Bloody Marys (well, you do get to munch on a stalk of celery).
A couple of Kirin Beer, as I recall, can BE lunch! (G) very filling and satisfying~

helen
August 16th, 2004, 11:03 PM
I don't get it, major cholesterol lunch and a diet soda?

I never liked regular Coke and I think to me Diet Coke taste better than regular Coke.

pzarquon
August 16th, 2004, 11:31 PM
A cold, pale hot dog, a bag of chips, and a lukewarm bottle of Coke C2 from the cafeteria at Kaiser Moanalua. Yeah, the food sucked, but the company totally rocked.

http://www.lightfantastic.org/gallery/albums/200408/16babyday21.thumb.jpg (http://www.lightfantastic.org/gallery/200408/16babyday21)

Albert
August 17th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Why is that child sticking its tongue out already?!

(Congrats!)

Mocha
August 17th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Nothing to do with lunch but is that your new bundle of Joy! ;) Congratulations! Hope your wife is okay...the baby looks wonderful. :p
The baby is hungry...we know what he(?) had for lunch (or she). :D

kamlost
August 17th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Cheese and cake.

I have a headache now :(

LikaNui
August 18th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Loco Moco from M&W Drive-In in Kaneohe.
With extra gravy.
Of course.

Albert
August 18th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Bottle of Steel Reserve, that wickedly strong malt-liquor brew from Texas.

(Hmmmm .... maybe I should give some thought to getting something to eat now.)

Albert
August 19th, 2004, 09:14 AM
"maybe I should give some thought to getting something to eat now"

Chicken Katsu from Grace Inn. Can't recommend it.

helen
August 21st, 2004, 01:09 PM
Black bean chicken and noodles plate lunch from U Choice Drive In with a cup of Mountain Dew while watching last night's Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis while doing the laundry.

Glen Miyashiro
August 25th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Apple bananas, dipped in fresh poi with each bite. It's tangy and smooth and good. How come I never thought of this before?

craigwatanabe
August 25th, 2004, 02:00 PM
because you're sleeping and this is a dream Glen...wake up before your taste buds revolt! :)

kamlost
August 25th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Apple bananas, dipped in fresh poi with each bite. It's tangy and smooth and good. How come I never thought of this before?

woah.. I've gotta try that one.

Albert
August 26th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Well, the Papa John's has finally opened at UH-Manoa, but I don't think I want to pay $3.50 for a six-inch pepperoni, so will hike on down to 7-Eleven and see what I can find there for today's lunch (if it will stop drizzling long enough for me to get there without being soaked).

pzarquon
August 26th, 2004, 12:01 PM
A boil-and-eat saimin with scrambled eggs and sliced Tulip, followed by (amazingly enough) an egg and Tulip sandwich. Quick, easy, and cheap.

Tulip. The name doesn't quite roll off the tongue quite as easily as Spam. But I suppose it's still quicker than saying "luncheon meat." (And besides, the word "meat" implies some sort of naturally-occurring content.)

LikaNui
August 26th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Panda Express; steamed rice, chicken & mushrooms, and orange chicken.
And a fortune cookie.

Albert
August 26th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Saw I could get a pepperoni pizza from 7-Eleven for about a dollar cheaper than the UH-Manoa Papa John's, but instead opted for a $2 "hamburger curry" bowl from a vending machine.

Like they say, you get what you pay for.

Albert
August 26th, 2004, 01:36 PM
"Tulip. The name doesn't quite roll off the tongue quite as easily as Spam."

Not to mention making me think I am in Holland in the spring, looking at all those pretty flowers. :)

helen
August 26th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Well, the Papa John's has finally opened at UH-Manoa, but I don't think I want to pay $3.50 for a six-inch pepperoni.

By any chance are they open on Saturday?

Albert
August 27th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Helen wondered about the UHM Papa John's:

"By any chance are they open on Saturday?"

I very much doubt it. None of those big-box places are usually open on
weekends. And Papa John's, even on weekdays, opens much later than
the other ones.

(I wouldn't bet any money on it being around for very long.)

kamlost
August 27th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Dumplings and wafers! Yes. Strange combination.

Miulang
August 28th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Indian buffet: tandoori chicken, vegetarian biryani, dal, chicken aloo, cole slaw, washed down with an iced chai tea. Dessert was rice pudding. All for about $8 bucks.

Miulang

DeeCee
August 28th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Diet Coke. Carrots. Salad. Banana Split. (Having a little problem sticking to the diet)..

helen
August 31st, 2004, 11:28 PM
Sweet and sour pork, fried rice, various salads and a bottle of water.

fvck3k
September 1st, 2004, 05:37 AM
Inn & Out Burger...animal style with a chocolate shake

pzarquon
September 1st, 2004, 07:57 AM
The "Asian Club" from Willoughby's Restaurant at the Honolulu Airport Hotel (formerly the Holiday Inn). I'm not quite sure what makes it "asian" versus your average club, except for the inclusion of scrambled egg. But it's tasty! And the restaurant is a friendly, quiet, reasonable jewel in the industrial rough of the airport area.

Albert
September 1st, 2004, 03:13 PM
Tried a hamburger and fries from the new "Cheeseburger Factory" at UH-Manoa. Not bad, but I won't make an entry about it in the Best Burger thread.

Very friendly staff there, though.

kamlost
September 2nd, 2004, 12:27 AM
An eggplant dish with some toast.

fvck3k
September 2nd, 2004, 05:06 AM
I'm having Lemon Chicken today

Blueridge Telecom

pzarquon
September 2nd, 2004, 06:51 AM
From where? L&L? Get plenny in Las Vegas, I know.

Yesterday, I had mochiko chicken, shoyu potatoes, corn and seaweed from Family BBQ, a little Korean plate lunch place at the Airport Trade Center. Nearly everyone in my office goes there now, and at noon, the line goes right out the door!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/317766_35034363370@N01_t.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photo.gne?id=317766)

craigwatanabe
September 2nd, 2004, 09:17 AM
Seaweed? Man I thought you was local! Nobody calls it seaweed! You sure it's not Ogo or something more specific?

pzarquon
September 2nd, 2004, 09:34 AM
Seaweed? Man I thought you was local!Hee! I said I was local, but I didn't claim to be a particularly good local. After all, I can't speak pidgin to save my life, and blasphemy of blasphemies, I don't particularly like mochi, or haupia, or coconut.

To be honest, I called it "seaweed" because I'm not quite sure whatit is... I just point through the glass at "that green stuff." There are so many variations when it comes to the multitude of sides you can get at a Korean place, I just gesture rather than risk getting it wrong.

helen
September 7th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Chicken bake, polish sausage and fruit punch from Costco.

fvck3k
September 8th, 2004, 07:44 AM
shoyu chicken, hamburger steak, hambuger curry...we're sharing our lunch

Ailina
September 8th, 2004, 09:27 AM
According to my son (since we're in the middle of our 'olelo lesson), we had "chili a me ka rice." lol!

craigwatanabe
September 8th, 2004, 11:40 AM
You know I just got thru with a lengthy posting replying to a thread on how Lingle is holding back spending on programs that feed the poor. Well politics aside, I thought of this thread and thought it would be a good idea to present this idea. When you go out and buy your lunch today or whenever, if you notice a homeless person on the way to the deli, order him/her/them a sandwich/$1 McDonald McChicken or whatever.

Your food no matter how good or bad it is today will taste better and swallow easier knowing that you did something for humanity in a small yet direct way. Don't wait for government intervention to help feed the needy. :)

pzarquon
September 8th, 2004, 12:50 PM
A nice thought, but I think a homeless person could make that $1 go a lot further than the cashier at McDonald's! Besides, give anyone a free burger these days, and you'll likely be looking at an attempted murder charge. :p

Yesterday I had a combination teishoku from Kabuki restaurant on Kapiolani, sashimi and teriyaki chicken. Today it was back to Wendy's.

craigwatanabe
September 8th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Okay a veggie burger from Down to Earth, you know that Krishna place? DOH!!

Albert
September 8th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Kahlua Pig from a Sodexho vending machine.

Oh well, was only two dollah.

Leimamo
September 8th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Firm tofu marinated in Shoyu, Sesame oil and green onions over hot rice.

craigwatanabe
September 9th, 2004, 09:19 AM
thats my wife's favorite too shoyu over her firm tofu.

EastCoastTropics
September 9th, 2004, 09:35 AM
I on one low cal diet.....cut out all red meats. Today for lunch I had udon noodles with tofu cubes and watercress.

craigwatanabe
September 9th, 2004, 10:00 AM
was there any taste at all in there? I would think rusty water would have more flavor than that. :D

fvck3k
September 10th, 2004, 03:02 AM
I'm having Sushi

pzarquon
September 12th, 2004, 05:11 PM
The lunch buffet from Zaffron in Chinatown. Curry chicken and fresh toasted nan bread... Mmm.

kamlost
September 13th, 2004, 05:47 AM
Creamy pasta!

EastCoastTropics
September 13th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Today it was cheese, tomato and lettuce on 7 grain bread sandwich! :)

Ailina
September 13th, 2004, 06:15 AM
Today, we're having leftover meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and mixed vegetables.

Albert
September 13th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Sobble!

Couldn't have lunch today because Safeway at Manoa Marketplace had a sign in the door saying "EBT OFFLINE".

kamlost
September 13th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Chinese rice and spring rolls.

craigwatanabe
September 15th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Sobble!

Couldn't have lunch today because Safeway at Manoa Marketplace had a sign in the door saying "EBT OFFLINE".

I know the EBT cards don't allow for hot "ready to eat" prepared foods, does that restriction also apply to cold items like deli sandwiches too? This one lady tried to buy a hot roastbeef sandwich with an EBT card and was rejected. I ended up paying for so she could eat it and I could get my groceries checked out.

EastCoastTropics
September 15th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Today its Shrimp Tempura sushi!

Miulang
September 15th, 2004, 09:06 AM
I know the EBT cards don't allow for hot "ready to eat" prepared foods, does that restriction also apply to cold items like deli sandwiches too? This one lady tried to buy a hot roastbeef sandwich with an EBT card and was rejected. I ended up paying for so she could eat it and I could get my groceries checked out.
What a good guy you are! Will you pay for my lunch too, sometime? :)
I bet that "random act of kindness" really made that lady's day!

Miulang

Albert
September 15th, 2004, 02:08 PM
"I know the EBT cards don't allow for hot "ready to eat" prepared foods, does that restriction also apply to cold items like deli sandwiches too?"

Oh, it's bizarre. Cold deli sandwiches are fine. Those roasted chickens which were cooked the day before and are available cold at places like Foodland are also okay, even though they aren't on the day they are cooked. (I mean, how dumb can you get?)

Had some watermelon for lunch today, via EBT. A bit outrageous, when I see whole watermelons available for 14-cents a pound, to charge almost five dollars for a few pieces sliced and placed in a plastic dish. Guess those slicers must be getting quite an hourly wage. (NOT!)

pzarquon
September 15th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Today I braved the awful traffic to join the eGullet gang (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=2657) at South Shore Grill, formerly Ted's Bigger Burgers on Monsarrat (and run by Ted's wife). Of course I had the "little bit of everything" mix plate, with a fish taco, Korean kal-bi, and BBQ chicken with the "local style" sides of rice, tuna mac salad and slaw.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/451944_35034363370@N01_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/451944/)

glossyp
September 16th, 2004, 08:15 AM
I'm going to have the Okinawan Shoyu Pork at Wally Ho's in Aiea - that's a great place for those who haven't tried it yet.

Glen Miyashiro
September 16th, 2004, 08:18 AM
It wasn't lunch, but for dinner last night I had a laulau plate from Masu's Massive Plate Lunch. It was good, but the one from Young's Fish Market is better.

Albert
September 16th, 2004, 01:37 PM
A six-inch pepperoni pizza from Papa John's at UH-Manoa. I think I got lucky, had five slices of pepperoni instead of four since one slice was stuck to the other.

They don't use microwave, keep the pizzas in a hot cabinet, so they hand the thing over on demand, once you give up your $3.50.

No, I won't be testing these objects again ....

Albert
September 18th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Beef Stroganoff from a Sodexho vending machine, warmed in the provided microwave. I thought Stroganoff was supposed to be with flat egg noodles, but this version used plain old spaghetti.

Oh well, what can you expect for two dollars from a vending machine?

kamlost
September 18th, 2004, 06:24 PM
chinese dumplings :D

pzarquon
September 20th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Was treated to lunch at The Pineapple Room at Macy's Ala Moana today. Oh, so ono! I got the "Express Lunch," which was tomato soup, caesar salad (with the anchovies!) and a kalua pig sandwich... plus the dessert, which was the best part. Chocolate macadamia brownie with ice cream, accented with chocolate sauce, strawberries, pineapples, oranges and blueberries.

http://flickr.com/photos/509312_0c564ba606_t.jpg (http://flickr.com/photos/hawaii/509312/) http://flickr.com/photos/510198_4df1d5f0d5_t.jpg (http://flickr.com/photos/hawaii/510198/)

Laakea
September 21st, 2004, 02:16 AM
We're doing filipino food today.

craigwatanabe
September 21st, 2004, 09:36 AM
left over stew for me. For some reason stew tastes better the next day.

Karen
September 21st, 2004, 10:15 AM
craigwatanabe..left over stew for me. For some reason stew tastes better the next day.

Most recipes do! Homemade chicken noodle soup, cheese Chicken Spaghetti, chili....I think the spices do their complete job after the 24hrs. or something, and when reheated, you have the perfect recipe of whatever it is.

Lunch today? Had a late breakfast, guess lunch will be early dinner or soemthing. No idea....salad with honey ham would be nice.

craigwatanabe
September 21st, 2004, 10:18 AM
Kinda like that refried bean theory: Eh man these beans taste great! Maybe going taste better if we fry em again eh?

helen
September 22nd, 2004, 12:07 PM
Pressed turkey and cheese sandwich, washed down by Orange Gatorade.

craigwatanabe
September 22nd, 2004, 03:05 PM
Auwe Helen...why you go smash one good Turkey sandwich? Da bread was all fluffy dakine la dat now stay flat as one dead mongoose on Pahoa Highway.

But hey if smashing em make dat Turkey taste better maybe I go try do em wit my Big Mac too eh? :D

glossyp
September 23rd, 2004, 11:32 AM
Was treated to lunch at The Pineapple Room at Macy's Ala Moana today. Oh, so ono! I got the "Express Lunch," which was tomato soup, caesar salad (with the anchovies!) and a kalua pig sandwich... plus the dessert, which was the best part. Chocolate macadamia brownie with ice cream, accented with chocolate sauce, strawberries, pineapples, oranges and blueberries.

http://flickr.com/photos/509312_0c564ba606_t.jpg (http://flickr.com/photos/hawaii/509312/) http://flickr.com/photos/510198_4df1d5f0d5_t.jpg (http://flickr.com/photos/hawaii/510198/)

You are the fortunate one...I love the Pineapple Room it's like a real treat to go there...I'm drooling on the keyboard...they really do the best desserts.

Albert
September 23rd, 2004, 02:07 PM
A "Healthy Turkey and Ham Sandwich" from a Sodexho vending machine
at UH-Manoa.

"Healthy" means it had some iceberg lettuce, a bit of tomato and a couple of cucumber slices on it.

(Since all the hot-bowl options in the machine have been offered for the past three days, I figured the bowl might have been sitting in there all this time, so went for a safer choice, even if it did cost me 35-cents more.)

pzarquon
September 23rd, 2004, 02:15 PM
Garlic fried chicken plate from a lunchwagon near Aliiolani Hale, which I quickly carried over to Burt's (Quark's) "Bytemarks" lunch at the Richards Street YWCA. Next one is Oct. 21!

helen
September 30th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Going to get something from U-Choice Drive In or some other place at Daiei for lunch today.

Albert
September 30th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Helen reported:

"Going to get something from U-Choice Drive In or some other place at Daiei for lunch today."

Probably did better than I .... "Tomato Beef" from a Sodexho vending machine. Oh well, it was only two dollars and I wasn't hungry anymore after finishing about half of it.

Miulang
September 30th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Combo special from Kauai Family Restaurant: Kalua pork and cabbage, ginger chicken, mac salad and rice. Dessert (purchased but not consumed yet): haupia and a piece of lilikoi cake for da kane.

Miulang