Finding your genealogy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding your genealogy

So I decided tonight that I'd spend the next 10 years or so trying to find out my genealogy. BUT, I also want to find out what my last name would be if Spain never invaded Philly. (No, not the city of brotherly love.) Before I start pumping money into this, is it even possible to find out what my family name would've been?

Are there any Filipinos out there that have tried this?
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Re: Finding your genealogy

I'm not Filipino, but I ran across this web page that might offer some useful background for you:

http://www.bibingka.com/names/

Comment

mr. miyashiro beat me to posting that page, which i had come across last year. i had not known about the claveria edict, which forced filipinos to adopt spanish surnames, until then.

mike, it might be very difficult to track your genealogy back before the conquistadors since i'm guessing that our people, pre-spanish invasion, didn't keep records in the way westerners did.

my mom's family were victims of the claveria edict; they now have a very common spanish last name. my father's family--tho he was respected by the spaniards and given the title of 'don,' along with a good amount of land (later lost to a rival family by marriage)--managed to keep their pinoy name (it's listed at the website glenn provided, in fact).

i think it's funny/sad that one person objected to his name being listed as filipino and claimed it to have come from sephardi jews. while that is quite possible, two pages of google searching yielded agultos only in the PI.

some years ago, i heard of a local-born filipina who claimed her last name was greek bcs of its similarity to andre agassi's (a wikipedia entry tells me the tennis player's father is of iranian and assyrian ancestry, tho, so i'm not sure where she got the "greek" from). i thought maybe "agassid" had something to do with "agas" or medicine.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
        mr. miyashiro beat me to posting that page, which i had come across last year. i had not known about the claveria edict, which forced filipinos to adopt spanish surnames, until then.

mike, it might be very difficult to track your genealogy back before the conquistadors since i'm guessing that our people, pre-spanish invasion, didn't keep records in the way westerners did.

my mom's family were victims of the claveria edict; they now have a very common spanish last name. my father's family--tho he was respected by the spaniards and given the title of 'don,' along with a good amount of land (later lost to a rival family by marriage)--managed to keep their pinoy name (it's listed at the website glenn provided, in fact).

i think it's funny/sad that one person objected to his name being listed as filipino and claimed it to have come from sephardi jews. while that is quite possible, two pages of google searching yielded agultos only in the PI.

some years ago, i heard of a local-born filipina who claimed her last name was greek bcs of its similarity to andre agassi's (a wikipedia entry tells me the tennis player's father is of iranian and assyrian ancestry, tho, so i'm not sure where she got the "greek" from). i thought maybe "agassid" had something to do with "agas" or medicine.
        Thanks for the input!

My family on my maternal grandfather's side should have a lot of history to research (I won't say the family's last name, because the family is very much hated and very much loved in Philly history. shouldn't be too hard to figure out now ), so I'm sorta banking on that to help me out.

Hmm...maybe that woman who claims she's Greek does so because she was or knows of someone who was a domestic worker?
        http://www.thenation.com/doc/20020218/realuyo

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
          Thanks for the input!

My family on my maternal grandfather's side should have a lot of history to research (I won't say the family's last name, because the family is very much hated and very much loved in Philly history. shouldn't be too hard to figure out now ), so I'm sorta banking on that to help me out.
          http://www.thenation.com/doc/20020218/realuyo
          you're welcome.

your family's both loved and hated? isn't that the case with all filipino political families?
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

you're welcome.

your family's both loved and hated? isn't that the case with all filipino political families?
            Haha, true...but on the largest scale that that country can think of.

flickr

Comment

I mean no harm and am not being sarcastic. That said...

Why would it be to you (or anyone for that matter) really important to figure out your family tree? Especially going that far back?

I had to do it as a school project in intermediate. Got to 4th Great-Grandfather on mom's side and back to Ireland for Dad's.
              I just never really had an interest or care today.

Wonder what I'm missing about this subject?
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                I mean no harm and am not being sarcastic. That said...

Why would it be to you (or anyone for that matter) really important to figure out your family tree? Especially going that far back?

I had to do it as a school project in intermediate. Got to 4th Great-Grandfather on mom's side and back to Ireland for Dad's.
                I just never really had an interest or care today.

Wonder what I'm missing about this subject?
                I ain't done seen my pops in 25 years, yo. and I just turned 27. And I really wanna know more about my grandfather's side (besides the tens of thousands of shoes and secret police).

flickr

Comment

Ahhh, okay gotcha Mike.

I did something neat for my wife a few years ago.

She has a daughter that she let a family in Australia adopt.
                  There had been a little contact over the years, but not much.
                  I invited, and paid for her trip to Hawaii when she was 18.
                  That was the first time they met since she was born!
                  It was a wonderful reunion and we've seen eachother a few times now.
                  Lucy's now 22.
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                    Ahhh, okay gotcha Mike.

I did something neat for my wife a few years ago.

She has a daughter that she let a family in Australia adopt.
                    There had been a little contact over the years, but not much.
                    I invited, and paid for her trip to Hawaii when she was 18.
                    That was the first time they met since she was born!
                    It was a wonderful reunion and we've seen each other a few times now.
                    Lucy's now 22.
                    Wow, that's more than neat--that's even more than sweet! It must have been a very emotional meeting for everyone.

flickr

Comment

Haha, true...but on the largest scale that that country can think of.
                      i was trying to be a little respectfully obscure, since ... ah, let's just say we'll shake hands and agree that the sins of certain grandfathers upon certain fathers don't necessarily translate into future generational hatred. and that any rousing, heartfelt rendition of "yes-terrr-deh," no matter how overly dramatically delivered in agent beauty pageant contestant style might have a chance of NOT turning lennon over in his grave.

I ain't done seen my pops in 25 years, yo. and I just turned 27. And I really wanna know more about my grandfather's side (besides the tens of thousands of shoes and secret police).
                      maybe this isn't a possibility for you, hence the desire to delve into genealogy, but did you ever try getting in touch with your father and/or his family? or are they....aaaagh...i really had a hard time deleting the words that were in this space but for you i will.

Comment

maybe this isn't a possibility for you, hence the desire to delve into genealogy, but did you ever try getting in touch with your father and/or his family? or are they....aaaagh...i really had a hard time deleting the words that were in this space but for you i will.
                        my grandfather who's related to the Marcos' (2nd cousins) is on my mom's side.

as for my dad--I know nothing about him or his family. he's a taboo subject with my mother. I tried getting information about him from the USN, but I'm not his dependent, so I can't find out anything from them.

flickr

Comment

my grandfather who's related to the Marcos' (2nd cousins) is on my mom's side.

as for my dad--I know nothing about him or his family. he's a taboo subject with my mother. I tried getting information about him from the USN, but I'm not his dependent, so I can't find out anything from them.
                          ah, makes sense then. sorry for the assumption on my part.

i can relate to how you feel. my mom and i have divorced ourselves from much of her extended family in hawaii; it's part of the reason why she moved to the mainland, and yes, it was over money (not that she was the one who had it; she was the one who wasn't being paid it, even if she earned it and could have easily sued for it). i'm not close to my dad's side of the family. while my father was the golden son (eldest and brightest), my dad's family didn't do much to cultivate their relationship with me after he died. my mom probably didn't help much but then again, from what i saw, she didn't hinder either. a visit to lan vo some years ago revealed i have an older haole half brother somewhere, but after my mom confirmed what lan said, i asked my dad's family about it but they either don't remember much about the blond peace corp girl who left the PI pregnant without telling my dad or they're not willing to share what they know. so i can understand why you want to do what you want to do.

if you can't get very far in terms of your genealogy, i wish you peace otherwise. *hug*

Comment

ah, makes sense then. sorry for the assumption on my part.

i can relate to how you feel. my mom and i have divorced ourselves from much of her extended family in hawaii; it's part of the reason why she moved to the mainland, and yes, it was over money (not that she was the one who had it; she was the one who wasn't being paid it, even if she earned it and could have easily sued for it). i'm not close to my dad's side of the family. while my father was the golden son (eldest and brightest), my dad's family didn't do much to cultivate their relationship with me after he died. my mom probably didn't help much but then again, from what i saw, she didn't hinder either. a visit to lan vo some years ago revealed i have an older haole half brother somewhere, but after my mom confirmed what lan said, i asked my dad's family about it but they either don't remember much about the blond peace corp girl who left the PI pregnant without telling my dad or they're not willing to share what they know. so i can understand why you want to do what you want to do.

if you can't get very far in terms of your genealogy, i wish you peace otherwise. *hug*
                            wow, your story is similar to mine. from the very, very sparse bits and pieces I've been able to pick up over the years, I supposedly have 3 half sisters. this Lan Vo sounds interesting, but I'm afraid I might learn things that I don't want to hear.

flickr

Comment

wow, your story is similar to mine. from the very, very sparse bits and pieces I've been able to pick up over the years, I supposedly have 3 half sisters. this Lan Vo sounds interesting, but I'm afraid I might learn things that I don't want to hear.
                              i'd say lan vo is more likely than some other psychics to tell you things you are not ready to hear or don't need to hear. honestly, i didn't need to know that i have a half brother. if his mother was willing to keep that info from my father, knowing that he would have never left the PI and she never would have made the PI her home, then certainly it was not meant for me. i did try to find my half-brother but always hit brick walls, and i realized that maybe i wasn't supposed to find him anyway--at least not yet.

anyway, if you want to talk to a psychic, i'd suggest alane cole. she's easy to find on the net and does both personal and phone consultations. the cool thing about her is that while she tells you what you need to know, she won't ever answer a question unless you come out and ask it, and her approach is less "let me dazzle you with what i can see despite the consequences" than lan vo's is. make no mistake--alane's very specific and accurate even tho she doesn't ask much info from you. don't know if you can catch 102.7 where you're at, but she's on monday mornings on da bomb. first thing she said after laying eyes on me getting my first name was "what's this with your mom and property?" that was a "whoa" moment--it just so happened that was the month my mom found the house she ultimately bought in portland.

Comment

Working...
                              X