Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where are the best™ fabric stores on O'ahu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where are the best™ fabric stores on O'ahu?

I am not looking for brightly-colored poly-cotton blends to make pāʻū hula or curtains. I can find those easily around here.

I want to find lovely wools, silks, cashmere even. Stuff to do my own little projects. Bolts of fabric, not just yarn (not that I would diss on yarn).

Anyone know of such a classy joint?

aloha, P

pax

Re: where are the best™ fabric stores on O'ahu?

My first stop is always Fabric Mart, which is in several locations on Oahu, but I think it's in Hilo, too, so you probably already know about that. I also taught the owners' kids, so I'm biased.

My second stop (if Fabric Mart doesn't have what I need) is Kuni Dry Goods on Waialae near...um, 11th? Next to the park and Central Pacific Bank.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I've been able to find non-Hawaiian print fabrics at the Singer Sewing Machine stores too. They don't have as much of a selection as Fabric Mart, but I've seen fabric for prom dresses (like velvet) and the like in that store. At least the one on Maui has that kind of fabric.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

thanks you guys!

I was at my father in law's house this afternoon. He has cable, and there was that reality show of people vying to be a fancy designer (Seal's wife whats-her-famous-face is the host) and at that very moment, I wish that the man had tivo, because they had to order fabric and visited some swanky place that sells couture materials. I *wish* I knew the name, location, and website. Ugh! Details slipped through my fingers!

/woe

Scriv, Fabric Mart closed down its location in East Hawaii. The hunt continues.

pax

Comment

Kaimuki Dry Goods hawks silk:
          Our silk selections include everything from habotais for lining to exquisite embroidered and beaded silks for evening wear. We have dupioni, chiffon, satin, suitings, prints, taffeta, many Chinese brocades, etc.
          "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Check out Fabric Mart in back of Cutter Ford in Aiea.

Wide variety of material. Ranging from very sheer translucent fabrics to nylon-reinforced vinyl.

Comment

thanks to my sister, who watches Project Runway:

www.moodfabrics.com

they are the folks who supply the show.

pax

Comment

Working...
              X