Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii's PREVIOUS bowl game victory

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
    Georgia has been to bowl games before, but Hawai'i has never made it to this level, with national attention, and a chance to prove that they can play with the big boys.
    Say WHAT?!???? You'd better look at this link, for starters. Maybe the news never got to you there in Seattle, but Hawaii played in the 1992 Holiday Bowl... and we WON it, beating Illinois 27-17.
    Most of us earn credibility by posting FACTS.

Go Warriors!!! Again!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Hawaii's PREVIOUS bowl game victory

Damn, I feel old.

And yeah, I remembered that one with coach Wagner and QB Michael Carter.
    Last edited by Random; December 3, 2007, 05:36 PM. Reason: Memory lapse.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Ahh...memories of Michael Carter, Ivin Jasper, Travis Sims, Sea World, and Jack Murphy Stadium.

I was an 8th grader then, but I was also caught up in the madness. I think I still got videos of the footage I taped! I'm sure I still have my WAC Champions and Holiday Bowl POGS too!

Damn straight the Rainbow Warriors got national attention then. True, this was way before the mess known as the BCS, but still very deserving of recognition of "playing with the big boys."

(FYI to those who may not know, UH really did have decent teams before JJ came on, you know )
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
        (FYI to those who may not know, UH really did have decent teams before JJ came on, you know )
        I know. I was disappointed in Yoshida's decision to let Wagner go.

But then everything happens for a reason. Von Appen made way for JJ to come back.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I was an 8th grader then, but I was also caught up in the madness. I think I still got videos of the footage I taped! I'm sure I still have my WAC Champions and Holiday Bowl POGS too!
          I remember that game well. I also got it on tape, and play it occasionally. I was on a high for about a week.

Comment

Yeah, the Holiday Bowl in 1992 is not at the level of a BCS bowl today, but it was a pretty prestigious bowl back then. also, the Illini had (future NFL) stars like Dana Howard, Simeon Rice, and Kevin Hardy--so it was an impressive win for Hawaii.
            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Gee, Ms. Negativity sure does get real quiet when she gets proven wrong... as happens so very often.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                Yeah, the Holiday Bowl in 1992 is not at the level of a BCS bowl today, but it was a pretty prestigious bowl back then. also, the Illini had (future NFL) stars like Dana Howard, Simeon Rice, and Kevin Hardy--so it was an impressive win for Hawaii.
                There was also a "Poi" Bowl or "Pineapple" Bowl played against UW in 1938. UW won that game, 53-17.

Huskies vs. Warriors History: Washington and Hawai'i have played only twice in the two teams' histories - in the 1938 Pineapple Bowl (sometimes also referred to as the Poi Bowl) and in a regular-season game in Seattle in 1973. For a bowl game, there's little information available about that 1938 meeting. The '37 Huskies had finished the regular season 5-2-2 and 4-2-2 in the PCC. The team had stored all its gear for the off-season when an invitation to play came from the University of Hawai'i. Coach Jimmy Phelan polled the team, received unanimous approval, and the UW set off by ship from Vancouver, B.C., for a week-long voyage, during which the team practiced on deck. The UW took the lead early on as Jimmy Johnston ran 15 yards around left end before lateralling to center Bud Erickson, who went 32 more yards for a touchdown. Johnston then hit Merle Miller on a 35-yard score, then set up two other TDs with a 69-yard punt return and a 30-yard run to the Hawai'i one. The Huskies led 26-0 before the home team notched a first down. The Huskies' second unit posted two more long scores (a 41-yard run from Everett Austin and a 50-yard play on a ball lateralled from Joe Dubsky to Rich Worthington) in the second quarter for a 39-0 halftime lead. Lloyd Phelps (53 yards) and Don Jones (20) added two more TDs in the third quarter before Hawai'i got two late scores from Akee Choy.
                Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

There was also a "Poi" Bowl or "Pineapple" Bowl played against UW in 1938. UW won that game, 53-17.

Miulang
                  I don't get your post.

Are you comparing UH's 1992 Holiday Bowl win to games played before UH became an NCAA Division 1 team?

I'm confused.

Comment

I don't get your post.

Are you comparing UH's 1992 Holiday Bowl win to games played before UH became an NCAA Division 1 team?

I'm confused.
                    No, just mentioning that that was another bowl game that UH played in.
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

No, just mentioning that that was another bowl game that UH played in.
                      I see that, but I'm trying to see how your recent posts correlate with what LikaNui quoted in the OP...?

Comment

Just for memory sake, I forgot to mention ... that game, that season, I think Travis Sims was not given enough credit. He was a damned good runner, a slasher-type runner, which was perfect for that 1992 offense. He was the difference in the Illinois game.

Comment

Working...
                        X