Hear The Tikiyaki Orchestra on Hawaiian Airlines in February

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hear The Tikiyaki Orchestra on Hawaiian Airlines in February

I received a bit of good news via email this morning. Seems that Fluid Floyd from Honolulu's own keeper of the Exotica torch, DON TIKI is programming an Exotica Radio program for a Hawaiian Airlines in flight music channel called "the Exotica Sky Lounge Show" and has added the song "Crossing Kilauea" from the Tikiyaki Orchestra "StereoExotique" CD.

The show will be airing on ALL flights in February and March. Needless to say I'm really excited about this, as people going to their vacation in paradise will be able to hear my Hawaii inspired music.

On a second bit of news, The CD is nominated for "best Exotica Album" in the 2008 Hawaii Music Awards. It's basically a people's choice, so when voting starts, I'll be asking for a little HT support

To hear the Tikiyaki Orchestra "StereoExotique" go to http://tikiyakiorchestra.com/LISTEN.html
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Re: Hear The Tikiyaki Orchestra on Hawaiian Airlines in February

Congratulations!! Bravo!!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Very, very cool! Congrats, Tiki.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
        I received a bit of good news via email this morning.
        That's not good news. That's great news! Congrats!

The CD is nominated for "best Exotica Album" in the 2008 Hawaii Music Awards. It's basically a people's choice, so when voting starts, I'll be asking for a little HT support
        You're not gonna get a little.
        You're gonna get a LOT!
        HMA's used to allow multiple votes back when they started, but not they check more closely and limit to one vote per person, so we'll try to get lots of folks to vote.
        By the way, any idea who else is in your category this year?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Whoa!!!! Big congrats. I told you the umbrella and coaster would be a collector's item .

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            That's not good news. That's great news! Congrats!

You're not gonna get a little.
            You're gonna get a LOT!
            HMA's used to allow multiple votes back when they started, but not they check more closely and limit to one vote per person, so we'll try to get lots of folks to vote.
            By the way, any idea who else is in your category this year?
            Big Mahalos LN ! The Exotica category probably has 2 or 3 records in it. I know A Boston band called Waitiki won last year, that's how I found out about the category in the first place. They have a new CD out and are probably submitting it for nomination.

Honestly, there are only about 4 Exotica artists in the world right now....It's a nearly extinct genre, but it's seeing a resurgence in the past few years.
            That's what's so cool about it to me. It's new and different.
            Don Tiki from Honolulu is probably one of the originals of the resurgence.
            They play in Waikiki sometimes and are, from what I hear, amazing, with a big show, hula and burlesque dancers....very cool. They also played with Martin Denny, who was one of the pioneers of the genre, before he died.

I've never won any award for my music before, so it would be cool to win.

I really think it's a really great musical genre, that people need to discover. The sound of the vibraphone, and all that percussion is just so cool. There's nothing like it.

My goal for the future is to release a 5:1 mix CD (or should I say Audio DVD)
            , because, to me, there is NO better music to hear in 5:1 audio than Exotica. All the jungle sounds and percussion in surround sound will really be a spectacular listening experience.

I also would love to get the live show booked at Don the Beachcomber's in Kona...THAT would be SWEET.

Comment

Don Tiki from Honolulu is probably one of the originals of the resurgence. They play in Waikiki sometimes and are, from what I hear, amazing, with a big show, hula and burlesque dancers....very cool. They also played with Martin Denny, who was one of the pioneers of the genre, before he died.
              Yes, their shows are fabulous! Lopaka Colon turned me on to them when they first released "The Forbidden Sounds Of Don Tiki" and I've been a huge fan ever since. I've had the great pleasure of seeing them perform several times, including a show with Martin Denny and with Lopaka's dad, the legendary Augie Colon.
              You'll enjoy the 2004 article at this link, and this 2003 photo of Martin Denny and Augie Colon (and Art Todd in the middle):
              Last edited by LikaNui; March 9, 2008, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Whoa, you're friends with Augie Colon's son ?

He's the MAN...He's the one who started the whole bird calls thing in Exotica.
                Wow.

So let me ask you this...do you know anything about Gene Rains ?

He was another Exotica performer at that time who made 4 awesome records. He played in the Hotels in waikiki at the same time as Lyman and Denny. There is VERY little info on him, and his records are tought to come by.

I heard the Don Tiki shows are just great. One of these days I'll get to see them.

Comment

Whoa, you're friends with Augie Colon's son ?
                  I imagine several other folks here on HT know Lopaka too, from his time in "Pure Heart" or always playing with Henry Kapono, and he gets asked to sit in with many many other groups. Lopaka's a fabulous percussionist, great with the bird calls and jungle sounds and, most importantly, he's just a really good person. It was to honor his dad that he became a member of Don Tiki.

He's the MAN...He's the one who started the whole bird calls thing in Exotica. Wow.
                  I remember one Pure Heart show where Augie was visiting (he lived on Molokai, as I recall) and Lopaka had his dad sit in with them. Good fun! Not Augie's beloved exotica, but he added a lot to it.

So let me ask you this...do you know anything about Gene Rains ?
                  Sorry, no. I remember you asked that question a while back. Wish I could help ya there. I think I did give you suggestions to talk to -- Jay Junker at UH being the primary one, along with Harry B. Soria and perhaps Keomiki Akui. Any luck with them?

Comment

Sorry, no. I remember you asked that question a while back. Wish I could help ya there. I think I did give you suggestions to talk to -- Jay Junker at UH being the primary one, along with Harry B. Soria and perhaps Keomiki Akui. Any luck with them?
                    Man, I didn't see that in the thread. I figured no one answered the question.

Comment

Tiki,

Is that track 2, "Exotique", that I hear near the beginning of Tiki Bar TV episode #27? http://www.tikibartv.com/tikibar_dis...pver=qh&vid=32

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Jeff View Post
                        Tiki,

Is that track 2, "Exotique", that I hear near the beginning of Tiki Bar TV episode #27? http://www.tikibartv.com/tikibar_dis...pver=qh&vid=32
                        No, Actually it's "Ali'i Fire Dance". I contacted them awhile back and they used that ttrack, and I think one other.

Comment

Man, I didn't see that in the thread.
                          No problem. Everyone knows that musicians don't know how to read.

Comment

No problem. Everyone knows that musicians don't know how to read.
                            huh, did you say something ?

Comment

huh, did you say something ?
                              Yeah, I said that bass players are the weakest links. They can only play one individual note at a time.
                              Playing actual chords would require a bass player to be capable of multi-tasking.
                              Ain't gonna happen.
                              That's what I said.

Comment

Working...
                              X