Unconferenz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unconferenz

We're planning an Unconferenz on Saturday, January 12, 2008 at JAIMS (Japan American Institute for Management Sciences) in Hawaii Kai. The Unconferenz is an open grid, open session gathering for tech and Internet enthusiasts. For more information please check out the wiki at:

http://unconferenz.pbwiki.com/

You can sign up here:

http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/379564

Hope to see you there.
    Check out Bytemarks the blog and Bytemarks the Yahoogroup

Re: Unconferenz

Happy New Year everyone. The Unconferenz is right around the corner. If you haven't already done so please go to the following websites to register:

Register @ http://unconferenz.com/
    RSVP @ http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/379564/

I need to get an accurate count for the lunches and t-shirts. Those who RSVP are ensured of a lunch and t-shirt. Those who do not are taking a chance that we will run out.

Mahalo for your kokua.

Comment

I am so glad you posted this.

P.K. and I will be there to present our product! We're so excited.

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

your link

(http://starbulletin.com/2007/08/06/f...s/story02.html)

appears to be broken...

looks like a good event; hope it's helpful to all.

edit: found the problem; the link goes to http://starbulletin.com/2007/08/06/f...story02.html); you need to get rid of that right parenthesis.
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Attending with eyes and mind wide open!
          ___
          "Be god to each other."

Comment

Indeed. I hope to bring and share what little I know, and trade it in for the massive amount of brilliance in the minds of others there. So far I think there'll be everyone from citizen journalists to Linux geeks to photographers to programmers... people with passion and skills in a variety of areas and the drive to share the knowledge.

I also want the T-shirt.

Comment

The Buzz:
              Not your father's technology conference
              A conference without a keynote speaker or panelists seems an oxymoron, yet "Unconferenz" will begin at 8 a.m. Saturday at JAIMS, the Japan-America Institute of Management Science, at 6660 Hawaii Kai Drive.

The event is open to any and all geeks and geek-appreciators in and around the tech sector, from code-writers to bloggers and vloggers, from academicians and legislators to profusely pocketed persons perusing for profit potential.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                There were a couple of other comments in Erika's story that Ryan 'forgot' to post:
                However, many facets of the community are not interconnected, said his friend and fellow geek Ryan Ozawa. He attends meetings of "local geek groups -- and there are several." Some lament that Honolulu "is not really a tech-town," and, "why doesn't the Linux group hang out with the other group? Why don't they mingle more?"
                (...)
                Gadgets are likely to be a big topic, Ozawa said. "Everybody is going to be bringing their favorite toys. We may sit in a big circle and fondle everybody else's toys," he laughed.
                I laughed too.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Sure wish the start time was a little more tutu-friendly! A week and a half of 20 hour work days means Sat. is my first sleep-in morning. May I petition for an 11am start for the next one?

Comment

My favorite part was this.

The newspaper you are reading would not be in your hands or online without geeks.

The loyalty card you use for groceries would be nonexistent, were there no geeks.

Your VCR clock would constantly blink 12:00 if not for ... oh wait, bad example.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      Sure wish the start time was a little more tutu-friendly! A week and a half of 20 hour work days means Sat. is my first sleep-in morning. May I petition for an 11am start for the next one?
                      I wrestled with having it on a weekday but thought everyone, including me, would have to take a day off from work. Not a bad thing but some might have to take a vacation day to come. So I decided to do the Saturday thing. Understanding that Saturday's are precious to all I wanted to start early so we could be pau at a reasonable time. This way we can still go out to dinner or have our Saturday night outing.

Comment

didja reach 100, Quark? I would love to attend, but family first. Plus, I barely qualify as a geek. In other words, I'M NOT WORTHY!!!
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                          didja reach 100, Quark? I would love to attend, but family first. Plus, I barely qualify as a geek. In other words, I'M NOT WORTHY!!!
                          To be honest I only wanted about 50 for the first go-around. I think that is a manageable number. As it gets larger it gets increasingly more challenging to plan and orchestrate. Maybe next time we will try to schedule it for a weekday so everyone has an excuse to dig out from work.

Comment

Great event! It was absolutely the geek mixer I was hoping for. There were gadget freaks, intellectual property law experts, programmers, photographers, teachers, designers... all sharing whatever it is they're passionate about. Kudos to Burt for the spark that'll no doubt grow from here.

You can see various photos from the event tagged 'unconferenz' at Flickr. I've also posted a six-minute video that hopefully captures some of the day's events and energy.

When's Unconferenz II?

Comment

I blogged my recap of UNCONFERENZ. Amongst the experience I note in my post, one of the most exciting things was finally meeting PZ! I blame credit him for inspiring the geek within!

So yeah, when is UNCONFERENZ II?

___
                              "Be god to each other."

Comment

Working...
                              X