Aloha, Mount Ararat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha, Mount Ararat

Here's an interesting news article with a Hawaii connection. There's yet another expedition being mounted to search for Noah's Ark on Mount Ararat in Turkey. One of the expedition's backers is Daniel McGivern, known in Hawaii from his involvement with the Hawaii Christian Coalition and Pro-Family Hawaii.

Re: Aloha, Mount Ararat

Neat find. The science/religion geeks over at Slashdot have already started picking over the story. For all the snark, there's quite a bit of thoughtful debate there...

Whatever floats your boat (pun intended). The more money put into this expedition, the less money invested in some of these groups' other missions.

Comment

Just curious: What would it mean to you, personally, if they FOUND Noah's Ark on this expedition?
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
        Just curious: What would it mean to you, personally, if they FOUND Noah's Ark on this expedition?
        Considering that I don't think Noah's Flood ever really happened, I would be completely and utterly shocked.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
          It's a good question. For me I don't think it affect me personally, but I suppose it might generate a lot of news reports if they found something.

Comment

I think there may very well be reasonable geological evidence of a flood of biblical proportions. And I wouldn't rule out the possibility that one of these missions will one day find the remains or imprint of a large boat impossibly high in the mountains. It's the link between that and the biblical story of Noah and his pairs of animals and God's directive that would still remain in question.

I believe, certainly, that there was a man named Jesus, and that he was an important political and spiritual figure who's had a substantial impact on western civilization. I'm just not ready to believe he's the son of God, or planning a return visit.

Beliefs are just that, though, and intensely personal. If this expedition finds "The Arc," scientifically sound or not, I'm certain for many it will be a major reaffirmation of their beliefs. And that's what matters to the people paying for it, so, more power to 'em, I guess.

Comment

I've been hearing this story about Noah's Ark since I was a little kid.

I think it would be MUCH more interesting if someone found the Ark of the Covenant.

Comment

So much for Daniel McGivern's quest to find Noah's Ark. The Turkish government has denied him permission to enter the area to go look for it. Maybe he should take Albert's suggestion and look for the Ark of the Covenant instead.

Comment

The Honolulu Advertiser jumped on this story too... oh, a full month after the Turkish government's decision. They did devote more space, and interview more people, at least:
                  "About 20 years ago I wrote in my Bible 10 great projects," McGivern had explained in the spring, when hopes were bright. "The top of my list was finding Noah's Ark."

Comment

Working...
                  X