No announcement yet.

any ramen & gyoza places in chinatown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any ramen & gyoza places in chinatown?

just got a big craving for some ramen. I live near Nuuanu st so chinatown is best or environs. Any place open PAST 7 pm? I ll take earlier too, but I never know where to go for that. Just looking for simple and good. I can find Pho no problem...
    n'importe

Re: any ramen & gyoza places in chinatown?

Not familiar with Chinatown's ramen scene, but I'll help with a visual of what you're lookin' for...

Gyoza (a.k.a. "pot stickers" from Costco) with Ponzu (citrus-soy) dippin' sauce

Shoyu Ramen (Sun Noodle brand) with: Chashu (pork simmered in shoyu, sugar, sake and ginger), Negi (Godzilla-sized Japanese green onion), Menma (marinated Bamboo Shoots), Quail Eggs and Nori garnish

And remember: SAIMIN IS NOT RAMEN. REPEAT 100 TIMES.
    Last edited by Pomai; December 14, 2007, 05:03 PM. Reason: dippin' ramen dots
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

thanks for the visuals.. i do know what gyoza, mandoo, potstickers, udon, ramen, saimin etc. do look like, I just dont know where to get it near me as I recently moved to this area from midtown , and most places in Chinatown seem to close at 7:00.

but I did find a place called Yusura at Smith & Beretania which is open till 9pm. Heading over there now.
      n'importe

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean to sound condescending. I just love Ramen, and thought a picture would whet the appetite. I think that's what I'm having for dinner tonight!

Please let us know how it was at Yasura.
        Last edited by Pomai; December 16, 2007, 04:17 PM.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I love Yusura. Hope you like it, too. Never been there for dinner, but for lunch, their ramen combo with gyoza is a tough deal to beat.

Just outside of downtown? Yanagi Sushi on Kapiolani, and Ideta Restaurant just off Dillingham.

Comment

Yusura's ramen is only ok. I didn't care for the soup. But I only tried the shoyu and miso. Maybe the others are better. Their udon is better in comparison.

There was another restaurant a few blocks away on N. King Street near Kekaulike (sp?) Mall. But they closed earlier this year.

There's a saimin shop on Nuuanu near Borthwick Mortuary. Very crowded small place. Its a decent saimin but I had better.

Comment

I work in Chinatown, so I've eaten at a lot of places around here.

Yusura's is ok, but I agree with the part about the soup....it's marginal. The noodles are ok, but not the greatest.

If it's soups you are looking for with noodles in Chinatown, I'd recommend the Triple One stall in Maunakea Marketplace. Their Singaporean Laksa is ther best!

If you are looking for chicken noodle soup (not pho, but they put basil and parseley in it...yum!), the Malee stall in Maunakea Marketplace had some of the best I've ever had.

Not too many Japanese food places in Chinatown outsude of Yusura's...

A pretty good place is the Sapporro Ramen at Ala Moana next door to I love Country Cafe (obviously not in Chinatown). That place is open most nights until 2a.m.

Comment

Working...
              X