Benazir Bhutto - assassinated by a suicide bomber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benazir Bhutto - assassinated by a suicide bomber

Benazir Bhutto - a female political leader who fought to bring modernity, communication, education & technology to Pakistan - was assassinated by a suicide bomber today. She was 54.

Rest In Peace

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...065821739.html
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Re: Benazir Bhutto - dead at 54 - assassinated by a suicide bomber

I remember holding my breath when I learned that she broke her exile, because I feared at that moment that someone would murder her, sooner or later.

RIP Madame Prime Minister.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
      I remember holding my breath when I learned that she broke her exile, because I feared at that moment that someone would murder her, sooner or later.

RIP Madame Prime Minister.

Almost word for word what I was thinking when I heard the news this morning.

Comment

Re: Benazir Bhutto - assassinated by a suicide bomber

pretty depressing news... thanks for the heads up.
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

She was no saint - yet she was progressive in many of her methods. She also knew that there was a strong likelihood that she would not survive long after returning from exile - she had already said her farewells to many friends around the world. But her drive to make changes in the lives of Pakistanis overrode her sense of self-preservation, and she must be respected for making that fateful choice to return.

Comment

Cowardly.

Still, like Pua'i Mana'o, I watched her triumphant return to Pakistan on CNN late at night, fearing that someone would do just that.

Her father, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, was the founder of the People's Party. He was executed by hanging for authorizing the murder of a political opponent and is considered a martyr by his supporters.
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              Almost word for word what I was thinking when I heard the news this morning.
              Ditto from me, Pua`i.
              Some fascinating stuff on CNN TV right now showing interviews with her just two months ago, discussing the possibility of her death, and even more fascinating is an e-mail she sent three months ago predicting it and pointing a finger at who she thought would be to blame. (She ordered that the e-mail not be released unless and until she was murdered.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Just when you think life in the Middle East couldn't get more volatile and complicated, this happens. A tragedy on so many levels. She and many others died today and let's not forget the 140 people in the first attempt when she returned to Pakistan in October. We should be holding our breath to see what events are now in store as the country of Pakistan is swept up in outrage, fear and turmoil.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                  Just when you think life in the Middle East couldn't get more volatile and complicated...
                  Oh, it would be unwise to think that; there's a LOT more that can happen there (though I wouldn't consider Pakistan as "Middle East" geographically, but there are certainly strong ties to the Islamic world of the Middle East).

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    Oh, it would be unwise to think that; there's a LOT more that can happen there (though I wouldn't consider Pakistan as "Middle East" geographically, but there are certainly strong ties to the Islamic world of the Middle East).
                    I actually debated whether I should describe it as Near East (more accurate), but went with Middle East because of the strong Islamic influence. And you are quite right, there is a lot more that could go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                      I actually debated whether I should describe it as Near East (more accurate), but went with Middle East because of the strong Islamic influence. And you are quite right, there is a lot more that could go wrong.
                      Yeah - for every citation you could find that says "Middle East," you could probably find as many that say not.

And you were absolutely right to also point out that many innocent people died in the attack today, as well as the previous attempt when she first returned from exile. We are very lucky that we live in a region where most political battles are settled without bloodshed, assassination and slaughter (now - the past is another story).

Comment

Not to sound like a cold, distant detective, but who would benefit from her death? Have they even considered the repercussion of such a deed?

And at the risk of flaming, am I the only one here that shakes his head in disappointment saying, "Those people are hopeless. Why even bother?"

Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                          Not to sound like a cold, distant detective, but who would benefit from her death? Have they even considered the repercussion of such a deed?

And at the risk of flaming, am I the only one here that shakes his head in disappointment saying, "Those people are hopeless. Why even bother?"

"Those people" have better than fifty nukes.
                          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Her opponents think they will benefit. They feel they can control her followers enough to prevent her from becoming a powerful martyr. We shall see if they are right, or blind.

I think we all have a part of us that sighs and wonders about the wrongs of other populations, and while each incident like this will cause some to pull away from the efforts to bring peace to the world, it will draw others into the job. We bother because these are our sisters and brothers in humanity.

Comment

No, I'm right with you on that. If the oil wasn't there, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be bothering at all. I don't know about anyone else, but I am more than ready for electric cars, or SOME other alternative fuel source.
                              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Working...
                              X