Crazy "local" jobs that are really in Iraq or Afghanistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy "local" jobs that are really in Iraq or Afghanistan

I have been looking for tech work for the last month or so since my employer is closing early this year (08').

There's all these jobs that sound great, look like they are "local", as in they are listed as local jobs in Honolulu at Fort Shafter, Hickam etc. but the end of the job descriptions state something to the effect of:

"This position requires Hazardous Duty and Assignment to a Crisis Zone Agreement to be executed as a condition of employment."

It's not the fact that they don't really disclose that the jobs aren't in Hawaii that disturbed me, it's the amount of money they are putting up that the job pays. There were a few ads up in the Honolulu Craigslist a month or so ago that was offering over $100,000 for pc techs and network techs to go to the "green zone". Gotta make you wonder about the government's faith in the US military if they are willing to pay a single solitary civilian over 100K tax-free to fix a computer that could have easily been spread amongst 3 soldiers who probably already have the training.

I talked to my neighbor who was in the military about this, and he said his brother was offered $175,000 to do some refridgeration work. He advised him not to, as the reason they use civilians is because their life expectancy in conflict zones is lower than a soldier because:

1) they usually don't carry weapons or are trained to fight.
    2) aren't protected in most any way.
    3) receive virtually no benefits or disability benefits like the military if you are hurt or killed.

Just thought I'd pass that on to other people. I consulted my family, and they said I should look for work closer to home where mortars aren't a normal thing, especially now I have a new son and all. The money's certainly tempting though.
    Last edited by Kittrick; January 1, 2008, 12:57 AM.

Re: Crazy "local" jobs that are really in Iraq or Afghanistan

Anyone considering this type of work would be smart to look very closely at the small print in their life insurance policies.

Having said that...I wonder what the percentage of dead or wounded or shell-shocked employyes is?
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Do it.
      Its worth it.

There are other things you can do for money...like you know...but...

Hey, you know, what! Do it! Do it!

1.) Pick the job that keeps you in the camp. Obviously your not going to become a KBR semi-truck driver. Mortars? Ha, unlike in the movies you don't hear the whistle, all you hear is BOOM! If you see me running to one of those half-assed concrete boxes in my peterpan tights / weapon / and IBA, follow me, because it must be pretty bad today.

2.) You can buy one of those thin blue policeman vests. Compare that to my IBA and the quarter inch plate that stops Soviet 7.62 rounds. Better yet, cash out for Blackhawk gear or any company that manufactures '"Delta Force" uses this too' bullshit.

3.) But, like i said, you gamble and win!

Mortar, depends on where you are.

Hajis, depends on how much they hate you that day.

A trigger happy harpy. I hate those kinds of people who let thier emotions rule thier actions, but i have no advice for you except run away. I'll stop her myself and get crucified by the media. "AWOL Soldier kills Rage Induced Harpy"

But the most dangerous thing there is there, is stepping out of those gates. It is thier country afterall, don't play in their sandbox unless you have a bigger boom stick.

Comment

The money's certainly tempting though.
        it's hard to spend money when you're dead.

it's definitely a gamble. good luck with your decision.
        life is ok sometimes

Comment

Thanks for your responses guys. I'm going to pass on those jobs, because I thought about something horrible in addition:

what would happen if the US was to suddenly pull out? You are not military. Hopefully they don't drive you to the baghdad airport and make you try to catch a commercial flight out. Or worse, they just leave you because there's no obligation to protect you. Oh that would not be good.

I'll try the advertiser and online job sites that actually have jobs locally thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X