Tororo Imo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tororo Imo

Someone has very generously left a lot of tororo imo for me and there's no way I can use it all right now. I've heard that one can grate it and dry the slimy stuff that results from grating and keep it for a long time that way (to be reconstituted and used in soups, etc. later). Has anyone here dried tororo imo for later use? If so, how did you do it and was it ok when you used it later? (By "ok", I mean ok if you like tororo imo. I know some people for whom tororo imo is never ok.)

Also, any suggestions for using tororo imo other than grated and mixed with shoyu over hot rice or grated and put into soup?

Re: Tororo Imo

Apparently Tororo is called Nagaimo in its whole, ungrated form.

Get a load of one of the uses for it in that Wiki article.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Here's an interesting use... Nagaimo Pancakes, a.k.a. Tororo Yaki

I don't know about that shrimp powder though. Yikes!
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Thanks Pomai! About one of the uses of tororo imo ~ eeek! But, but, but, what about the itch factor? Preparing tororo usually causes skin itch so using it as described in the wiki sounds like it would be uncomfortable. I'm not so much icked by the ground shimp. The shimp they're talking about is ebi (small dried shimp), which I like so having it ground up doesn't bother me. Interesting that they also call it Chinese Yam. I shopping for jicama and found that it's often sold in local markets as Chinese Yam (and I know that jicama is not the same thing as tororo imo). I guess it's one of those things where you just have to know it when you see it

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
          Apparently Tororo is called Nagaimo in its whole, ungrated form.

Get a load of one of the uses for it in that Wiki article.
          LOL, even tho I'm a gay guy, I even thought eekk!

Seriously, yamaimo can be used in and is execellent with okonomiyaki and also shredded finely mixed with natto and finely slived green onions with salt, shoyu and raw quail egg over freshly cooked rice.

Another way to cook it is to slice it into 1/3 inch rounds and bake it until 90% cooked then flip it and broil it with a "dengaku" sauce composed of 2 thsp. of white miso, 1 thsp. mirin, 1 thsp. brown sugar and a tea. of sake.

Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
            I guess it's one of those things where you just have to know it when you see it
            Browsing through Ward Marukai yesterday afternoon, they had Naga Imo in stock, labeled as Yama Imo (Tororo Imo in grated form), both in shorter, cut portions, and also in whole root form (imported from from Japan), selling for $6 per pound.

They also had Sato Imo. Piles of it.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions Beau! Although I'll skip the quail eggs. Not sure why that's any different to me than chicken eggs or fish eggs, which I have no problem eating. *g*

Pomai: the picture of Sato Imo looks like what I think of as Ara Imo. I guess we really do just have to recognize what we're looking for by what it looks like rather than what it's called *g*

Comment

Working...
              X