Sir Edmund Hillary - dead at 88

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir Edmund Hillary - dead at 88

The first man to conquer Mt. Everest died today in New Zealand.

"The legendary mountaineer, adventurer, and philanthropist is the best-known New Zealander ever to have lived," said New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark.

So true - he put my country on the map.

Rest In Peace, Sir Ed.
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/4351997a10.html
    Last edited by kiwidiva; January 10, 2008, 01:23 PM.
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Re: Sir Edmund Hillary - dead at 88

Rest in Peace, honored Hero.

Comment

RIP. Dude was great although his adventurer career peaked a long time ago.
      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I guess that depends on how you define an "adventurer!"

In 2005 he was traipsing around Antarctica at the grand age of 85 - that's pretty adventurous in my books! Antarctica is a long way from the nearest hospital if he had slipped on the ice and broken his hip!!

Antarctica is not a place for the faint of heart - they medevac'd that woman a few years ago who had breast cancer and they recently brought out a guy who had his jaw broken after a fight. And they were at least half Sir Ed's age!
        Last edited by kiwidiva; January 10, 2008, 05:31 PM.
        Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
        My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

My daughter just returned from a 2 week adventure to Antarctica. At almost 41, she said a few of the "landings" were tough for her and she didn't know how people in their 60s could handle them. SIXTIES??? I grounded her after that remark.

Comment

Working...
          X