Chelsea Clinton @ KCC Farmers Market Saturday 02/16/2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chelsea Clinton @ KCC Farmers Market Saturday 02/16/2008

eric and i got up early to buy some fresh herbs, braising greens, thai ginger syrup, chorizo, kim chee sausage, and enjoy some Thai food & spanokopita and a kcc plantation tea with lilikoi & mint at the KCC Farmers Market (only a ten minute uphill stroll from our house).

oh, and we met chelsea clinton, too!

we found miss clinton to be poised and warm as she took pictures with those who came to see her (including us). she toured the market, tasting some of the products and chatting with folks either shopping or selling their wares. she represented her mom quite well. we overheard a good number of those who were there to shop, not realizing she was coming, saying they found her charming--including some admitted obama supporters.

there was only one rough spot to her visit. just moments after her arrival, we heard dean okimoto of nalo farms grumble about someone who came and held up an obama sign as chelsea made her way to the hawaii farmers market cookbook tent, where he was about to present her a gift basket of hawaii products. dean, who told us he was actually for obama, called the sign holder "obnoxious" and "no class" and said that kind of behavior just might encourage him to "change his mind." we didn't see this happen (we were twenty feet away when it did) but apparently the sign holder was largely ignored by the press, chelsea's handlers, and the crowd.

pictures below are of (1) chelsea with dean okimoto shortly after he presented her with the gift basket (you can see the handle in the foreground), (2) chelsea chatting with some of the shoppers (just minutes before eric took a pic of her and me), and (3) a pic of chelsea, close up.
    Attached Files
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Re: Chelsea Clinton @ KCC Farmers Market Saturday 02/16/2008

Mahalo for sharing! The kind of behavior from the person holding Obama's sign is inexcusable! Foa SHAME!! I hope someone reports him. We don't need that kind of campaigning in Hawai`i. Especially, from fellow Democrats.

Don't forget Feb. 19th. Go to your Precincts to Vote. Doors open at 7:00 p.m.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Cyn, I'm guessing in the 3rd photo (far right), that's you with that grin standing next to Chelsea?

I read the itinerary in today's paper. I think I'll go to Zippy's Koko Marina today at 12:45pm with a big sign that says, "L&L Drive In Rules!". Or, "Chelsea, order the Zip Pac!".

Cool photos and interesting story. Thanks for sharing!
      Last edited by Pomai; February 16, 2008, 10:25 AM.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
        Cyn, I'm guessing in the 3rd photo (far right), that's you with that grin standing next to Chelsea?

I read the itinerary in today's paper. I think I'll go to Zippy's Koko Marina today at 12:45pm with a big sign that says, "L&L Drive In Rules!". Or, "Chelsea, order the Zip Pac!".

Cool photos and interesting story. Thanks for sharing!
        you're welcome. your guess is wrong, tho. i took the close up of chelsea and am not in the frame at all. i think the lady is one of chelsea's people--she was dressed in a black skirt, pumps and a white top with a green and black graphic pattern as well as a hillary pin (which i coveted!). lol about your "L&L drive in rules!"
        Last edited by cynsaligia; February 16, 2008, 10:48 AM.
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

She is sooooooo fine.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
            ... someone who came and held up an obama sign as chelsea made her way to the hawaii farmers market cookbook tent, where he was about to present her a gift basket of hawaii products. dean, who told us he was actually for obama, called the sign holder "obnoxious" and "no class" and said that kind of behavior just might encourage him to "change his mind." we didn't see this happen (we were twenty feet away when it did) but apparently the sign holder was largely ignored by the press, chelsea's handlers, and the crowd.
            "No class," sure - but that's the joy of free speech. Sounds like Mr. Okimoto didn't want to see his special moment disrupted - which is fair, too, but you can't control that sort of thing, nor should anyone want to. That's democracy - and if the sign-holder was largely ignored, then that's also how it can play out.
            Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
            The kind of behavior from the person holding Obama's sign is inexcusable! Foa SHAME!! I hope someone reports him.
            Report him? To whom do you report someone for expressing their political preference in a public space (besides the FBI)? This was a farmer's market, where anyone can go and shop - not a closed political rally, Auntie. (Besides - "SHAME is foa when you steal!" )

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              Report him? To whom do you report someone for expressing their political preference in a public space (besides the FBI)? This was a farmer's market, where anyone can go and shop - not a closed political rally, Auntie. (Besides - "SHAME is foa when you steal!" )
              heheheh

My BAD. But...but...nebamind.

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                Sounds like Mr. Okimoto didn't want to see his special moment disrupted - which is fair, too, but you can't control that sort of thing, nor should anyone want to.
                i don't think any of us who were there got the impression that dean okimoto felt "his" moment was disrupted. he seemed more embarrassed for a fellow obama supporter than personally indignant over it.

and for the record, no one wanted to "control that sort of thing." i didn't see it while i was there, but apparently there was at least one vendor who put up little obama signs at his/her stand during chelsea's visit. there's video of it at the honadv website.

Comment

Working...
                X