Who actually owns a waterbed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who actually owns a waterbed?

I haven't seen/been on one since 1987-ish. That was some straight up 70s-80s steez. Do those things have any practical purpose?
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Re: Who actually owns a waterbed?

my effwad ex had an h2o bed. it took a lil getting used to in terms of sleeping on it. if it was a cool night & the bed's heater hadn't been turned on before bedtime, it was not so great [imagine sleeping on cold h2o]. non-sleeping bed activities were [adversely] affected by wave motion and comparative lack of support/bounceback.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
      my effwad ex had an h2o bed. it took a lil getting used to in terms of sleeping on it. if it was a cool night & the bed's heater hadn't been turned on before bedtime, it was not so great [imagine sleeping on cold h2o]. non-sleeping bed activities were [adversely] affected by wave motion and comparative lack of support/bounceback.
      Non-sleeping bed activities? You mean like jumping up and down on the bed?

Comment

Got rid of mine over three decades ago. Bought it from STONE FREE more or less as a novelty purchase.

A friend of mine had a "hybrid" design - a solid outer frame surrounding water "cylinders." That design contributed to more normal NON-SLEEPING activities - no risk of getting "sea-sick!"

Comment

I had one a long time ago, which I slept on for about 6 months. The bare bones basic: one big bag of water held in place by a fancy-looking wood frame surrounding and containing the water matress. No heaters or any special covers or liners. It was kinda' like sleeping on a boat moored to the pier by a bungee cord. Sucked. I eventually got rid of it. That rolling motion hardly enhanced any "non-sleep" activities, actually making it more of a challenge to, ehem, "move around". lol

My friend had a Somma - the type that uses water tubes (think it was 6) - encased as part of a bed "system". He loved it.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Still sleeping on one these days; had one since the late '70s. The current one was in storage for a couple years, but the AF did not want to get rid of it, so we set it up 11 years ago when we had a large enough bedroom. We're very happy with it.
            Originally posted by Pomai View Post
            No heaters
            That's crazy - the water will suck the heat right out of your body, garans. You can get sick that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
              I haven't seen/been on one since 1987-ish. That was some straight up 70s-80s steez. Do those things have any practical purpose?
              The thinking goes that waterbeds have the advantage of contouring to your body, which relaxes your muscles and makes your sleep a more restful one. Also, because you can heat a waterbed, it feels more comfortable in cold weather than a conventional mattress.

BTW, while waterbeds have largely disappeared from bricks-and-mortar stores in recent years, you can still find them for sale online.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                Still sleeping on one these days; had one since the late '70s. The current one was in storage for a couple years, but the AF did not want to get rid of it, so we set it up 11 years ago when we had a large enough bedroom. We're very happy with it.That's crazy - the water will suck the heat right out of your body, garans. You can get sick that way.
                Remember, we're in Hawaii where average high temperatures are in the 80's and 90's during the day and lows in the 60's and 70's at night.

If my bed requires electricity, that's way too high maintenance. Then you have the issue of the quality of the water in it. Forget it.

What if you filled a water bed with chocolate? Would that be a sexier bed? lol

Currently I sleep on a Certa box-spring bed topped with memory foam which works fine, but I actually prefer sleeping on the floor on a Futon. I have no problem sleeping the on the couch too.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

non-sleeping bed activities were [adversely] affected by wave motion and comparative lack of support/bounceback.
                  Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                  Non-sleeping bed activities? You mean like jumping up and down on the bed?
                  yes. the bag woulda broke.
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

yes. the bag woulda broke.

flickr

Comment

Remember, we're in Hawaii where average high temperatures are in the 80's and 90's during the day and lows in the 60's and 70's at night.
                      Yes --- and what again is the average human body temperature? The water needs to be at least in the upper 70s to keep from drawing too much heat away.
                      Then you have the issue of the quality of the water in it.
                      Not sure I understand the "quality" factor - the water comes out of the tap, and we dump a bottle of conditioner in it once a year (which is when we also push out air bubbles). Pretty minimal maintenance. We find it incredibly comfortable, though everyone finds it a little weird for the first few nights. As for "non-sleep" activities ... well, we've never found that to be a problem. And there's no squeaky springs to disturb guests.

The biggest downside is that it's a real pain to assemble and disassemble when moving; I'm particularly happy that we've been in one place for 11 years.

Comment

forgot to mention that the efftard, for some reason, refused to fill the bag fully, so that's prolly why there was lack of support/lack of bounceback and way too much unhelpful wave motion.

there are many reasons why one of the names i have for him is efftard. *shrug*

he had to empty the bag and stuff the frame with a regular mattress when he moved. lots of condos do not allow water beds.

Comment

forgot to mention that the efftard, for some reason, refused to fill the bag fully, so that's prolly why there was lack of support/lack of bounceback and way too much unhelpful wave motion.

there are many reasons why one of the names i have for him is efftard. *shrug*
                          Yeah, that would be a BIG factor. At least people like him do serve a purpose in life, e - as bad examples.

Comment

Wow. Deja vu.

Wait. Where were we? Oh yeah. Waterbeds.

When I was a kid, we visited a home with one. Without naming names, a hole was punched into it within an hour of its discovery. Don't think that family hosted a party for the neighborhood ever again.

Can you still buy waterbeds? I've seen them mentioned in rental contracts (alongside 20+ gallon fish tanks), but not in the wild for years.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                              Wow. Deja vu.

Wait. Where were we? Oh yeah. Waterbeds.

When I was a kid, we visited a home with one. Without naming names, a hole was punched into it within an hour of its discovery. Don't think that family hosted a party for the neighborhood ever again.

Can you still buy waterbeds? I've seen them mentioned in rental contracts (alongside 20+ gallon fish tanks), but not in the wild for years.
                              haha, was this being discussed somewhere else online?

flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X