PDA

View Full Version : Tempur-Pedic Mattress?

WindwardOahuRN
February 26th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Anyone here have a Tempur-Pedic mattress or know of anyone who has one? Opinions?
I tried one out yesterday and was smitten but the price tag----eeeeeeeeeeek. :eek:

1stwahine
February 26th, 2008, 03:53 PM
heheheh

We do and love it. We also have the pillows.:D

And yes...the glass of wine doesn't spill nor does an egg breaks.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn

(wanna see?):p

Mokihana
February 26th, 2008, 05:24 PM
We tried one at the store, but I wasn't enthalled. I had a hard time turning over. My daughters each have one and love them.

We opted for a firm mattress with 2" of memory foam ontop. It seems to be working fine, though despite turning, there are dips in the foam.

You get more heat coming off a Tempur-pedic I understand. Could be good in the winter, but summer could be something else.

kupomog
February 26th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I have the thick memory foam layer on top of a mattress which is heavy enough as it is...couldn't imagine trying to lug a Tempur-Pedic mattress into my room. If I could get it (meaning afford http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k274/Kudoshido/gonk.gif) I would but I'm very happy with the foam layer. But I love the foam and I'm soooo glad we got it because my mattresses were always hand-me-downs from relatives and they felt like ass.

WindwardOahuRN
February 26th, 2008, 05:55 PM
heheheh

We do and love it. We also have the pillows.

And yes...the glass of wine doesn't spill nor does an egg breaks.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn

(wanna see?):p

LOL---sure. The wine trick might be useful but I doubt that we would be flinging eggs in the bedroom. :)

We tried one at the store, but I wasn't enthalled. I had a hard time turning over. My daughters each have one and love them.

We opted for a firm mattress with 2" of memory foam ontop. It seems to be working fine, though despite turning, there are dips in the foam.

You get more heat coming off a Tempur-pedic I understand. Could be good in the winter, but summer could be something else.

I noticed the "hard time turning over" thing too but I think it was because of the fleecy surface of the mattress. I was wondering about heat retention during the summer, too. We don't have A/C.

So your daughters love it---any comments from them about the temperature issue?

Auntie Lynne? (Oh I just KNOW she'll have something to say about the heat thing....:D )

Mokihana
February 26th, 2008, 07:51 PM
LOL---sure. The wine trick might be useful but I doubt that we would be flinging eggs in the bedroom. :)

I noticed the "hard time turning over" thing too but I think it was because of the fleecy surface of the mattress. I was wondering about heat retention during the summer, too. We don't have A/C.

So your daughters love it---any comments from them about the temperature issue?

Auntie Lynne? (Oh I just KNOW she'll have something to say about the heat thing....:D )

It's definitely warmer than a regular mattress. I've noticed it and so we end up sleeping with less covers because of it. My daughters don't seem to have an issue with the warmer temperature, (they sleep with fewer blankets too) but then, we live in the Pacific NW and not a tropical climate like I used to. A friend of mine just got 2" of memory foam for their mattress, and her husband, who's always inclined to be cold, said that he definitely felt more warm with the foam.

On really hot nights here, which can happen, we end up with just a sheet.

I remember, growing up in Mānoa Valley, how during Kona weather I'd turn my pillow over and over, trying to find a cool spot.

Tempur-Pedic in Kona weather doesn't sound like a good match to me... but on a regular night with the trades blowing, it could be okay.

WindwardOahuRN
February 26th, 2008, 08:01 PM
It's definitely warmer than a regular mattress. I've noticed it and so we end up sleeping with less covers because of it. My daughters don't seem to have an issue with the warmer temperature, (they sleep with fewer blankets too) but then, we live in the Pacific NW and not a tropical climate like I used to. A friend of mine just got 2" of memory foam for their mattress, and her husband, who's always inclined to be cold, said that he definitely felt more warm with the foam.

On really hot nights here, which can happen, we end up with just a sheet.

I remember, growing up in Mānoa Valley, how during Kona weather I'd turn my pillow over and over, trying to find a cool spot.

Tempur-Pedic in Kona weather doesn't sound like a good match to me... but on a regular night with the trades blowing, it could be okay.

I've gotten feedback from a few others IRL and I think the heat thing might end up being an issue. Until further notice I think we'll put the idea on hold.

The mattress sure was comfortable in the showroom though....sigh....

Amati
February 26th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I have the thick memory foam layer on top of a mattress which is heavy enough as it is...couldn't imagine trying to lug a Tempur-Pedic mattress into my room.
That's the truth about the weight being an issue. We have the thick memory foam (bought for a decent price at a big box retailer), and the kids have them also. We keep them topped with mattress pads and cotton quilts, then the sheets. That way, there is a cotton layer between us and the foam, so it stays comfortable and not too hot. And, even with the mattress pads, the memory foam still works fine.

1stwahine
February 27th, 2008, 07:37 PM

heheheh

Actually, I don't feel any HEAT.:p

My air-conditioner is always on rain or shine due to health reasons. It's always at a cool 70 degrees.

Our Tempur-Pedic ~ covered with a sheet protector. We have as sheet then a comforter. It is sooooo comfortable. We melt in it. Our bodies entwined in each other.heheheh Two old fuddie duddies ackiing like teenagers...neba mind. TMI

HAHAHAHAHAH

I use to have a hard time sleeping but not anymoa. Now, I have a hard time getting outta bed.

Problem is everyone who comes ova wants to take a nap in my room.:rolleyes:

Auntie Lynn

cyleet99
February 27th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I'm glad I found this thread--we gotta get the mattress off the floor; dh spent last night in misery with a back spasm. A memory foam layer with cotton might do it. Y'all so hepful!!

cynsaligia
February 27th, 2008, 09:17 PM
aaaaah...the lack of bounceback would be something to which i'd object vehemently...if for nothing else than non-sleep activities.

sorry. sometimes i'm a little too compulsively honest.

1stwahine
February 28th, 2008, 07:03 AM
aaaaah...the lack of bounceback would be something to which i'd object vehemently...if for nothing else than non-sleep activities.

Oh..dear. Don't need a bed to be bouncy or not. It's all in dee moves. ;)

Experience. :p

Auntie Lynn

cynsaligia
February 28th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Oh..dear. Don't need a bed to be bouncy or not. It's all in dee moves. ;)

Experience. :p

Auntie Lynn

maybe i don't "need" it to be bouncy.

"preference."

;)

1stwahine
February 28th, 2008, 07:21 AM

"preference."

;)

Das how.

Every woman is different.heheheh

SECRETS....HAHAHAHAHA!:D

Auntie Lynn

pzarquon
February 28th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Hey, look over there! It's the official website (http://www.tempurpedic.com/)!

Here are some reviews (http://www1.epinions.com/content_87339798148)!

There are even a few Ask MetaFilter threads (http://ask.metafilter.com/tags/tempurpedic) mentioning them.

Paul Ogata
February 28th, 2008, 09:33 AM
O... M... G... this is the best mattress ever. Swedish Memory Foam. Designed By NASA. (Why is NASA designing stuff for the Swedes?)

We originally bought a King-size Tempur-Pedic mattress and thought it couldn't get any better.

Until we sold it and moved to L.A. and went to buy a new one and found... the Tempur-Pedic Pillow Top Mattress. Sheer heaven. If you absolutely need to get things done early in the morning do not buy this mattress. It sucks you in and holds you down, making you forget about anything else besides staying in bed.

Since we bought it, we've also become thread-count whores. Why use anything less than 800 on such a fine mattress? That's like having burlap-upholstered seats in your Ferrari.

The only problem is finding fitted sheets deep enough to get around the mattress.

And I find that the lack of springs in the mattress is helpful in quieting "non-sleep activities", cynsaligia. Great to help out in stealth-mode hibbity-jibbity when you have guests in the room down the hall.

craigwatanabe
February 28th, 2008, 10:36 AM

"preference."

;)

spoken like a true veteran of the mattress. Me I prefer a Tatame mat. I sleep better on concrete than on a contouring foam pad.:)

Tiabla
February 28th, 2008, 02:33 PM
A few years ago I housesat for someone who had a Tempurpedic bed and after 3 weeks of the best sleep I've ever had, I knew I would someday get one.

I got a Tempurpedic bed in July and LOVE it. The only drawback is that is mattress is hotter than a conventional mattress, so that took a week or two to get used to. Now I simply have fewer covers on the bed and it's fine.

It's not for everyone; I know a couple people who hated Tempurpedic because of the lack of bounce-back.

WindwardOahuRN
February 28th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Damn. There's that heat issue again. I'm thinking that we will be sweltering come August and September. :(

Otherwise I'd be buying one tomorrow.

Mokihana
February 28th, 2008, 05:50 PM
The only problem is finding fitted sheets deep enough to get around the mattress.

Check out Overstock.com. They get plenny.

And I find that the lack of springs in the mattress is helpful in quieting "non-sleep activities", cynsaligia. Great to help out in stealth-mode hibbity-jibbity when you have guests in the room down the hall.

:D:D:D:

tutusue
February 28th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Damn. There's that heat issue again. I'm thinking that we will be sweltering come August and September. :(

Otherwise I'd be buying one tomorrow.
I have the 2" mattress topper on my bed in Makaha where I don't have a/c. The topper came with a zippered "case" that also acts as a mattress pad. I added another mattress pad on top of it. My fave sheets are jersey...think T-shirt material! I don't find heat to be an issue. YMMV...

Once I remodel I will buy a Tempurpedic mattress to go on a platform bed. Can't wait!

WindwardOahuRN
March 1st, 2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks for all the opinions. I am truly torn.

Some of the reviews I've read mention a 90 day trial period. I see that it's offered on the Tempur-Pedic website for online purchases but I wonder if it's offered by local retailers.

That just might tip me into buying. :D

tutusue
March 1st, 2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks for all the opinions. I am truly torn.

Some of the reviews I've read mention a 90 day trial period. I see that it's offered on the Tempur-Pedic website for online purchases but I wonder if it's offered by local retailers.

That just might tip me into buying. :D
If you're allowed the 90 day trial, and if you can wait, maybe conduct your trial during July, August and September!

1stwahine
March 3rd, 2008, 04:52 PM
LOL---sure.

K-den...Here.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii121/1stwahine3/FILE0077.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii121/1stwahine3/FILE0075.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii121/1stwahine3/FILE0076.jpg

Auntie Lynn

craigwatanabe
March 3rd, 2008, 08:28 PM
If you sweat in your sleep then you'll hate that mattress. Me I need a fan blowing over me or else I burn up in bed. I got one of my older boys a Tempur-Pedic mattress and he loves it. I tried it and felt like I was in an Imu. My own body heat made sleeping in one very uncomfortable.

One night it was so hot that I crawled on top of the kid's Air Hockey game and slept like a baby. Man that was one comfortable surface to sleep on with jets of air shooting up from below.

WindwardOahuRN
March 4th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Okay. It boils down (no pun intended) to the 90 day trial period availability.
It seems to be such a subjective thing so I imagine it will be with us too.

1stwahine
March 4th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Okay. It boils down (no pun intended) to the 90 day trial period availability.
It seems to be such a subjective thing so I imagine it will be with us too.

Alright!! You won't regret it. Sleep well and have FuN! LoL :p

Auntie Lynn

localkine.org
March 4th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I've got a newer generic 3" topper I bought off of eBay, and it's awesome. I have a back problem from a car accident, and it's no miracle mattress, but it does alleviate some of the pressure that regular spring mattresses put on your body.

My sister has a tempur-pedic matress, and that one's great too but the model that she has is kinda too soft for my liking.

As for buying from Overstock.com, I tried that and they don't ship the toppers or mattresses to the 808.

StinkyTheGrump
March 20th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I luurrrve my temper pedic mattress! My wife and I basically consider it the best $1800 we ever spent! I am prone to getting hot when I sleep and I don't notice it being worse than any other mattress in that regard. I also don't have AC. Give it a shot, I doubt if there are any heat issues that will be the deciding factor in whether you love it or not. It will probably come down to whether you like the feel of it and if it's too hot you can always use a fan or fewer blankets.

TATTRAT
March 20th, 2008, 01:17 PM
we LOVE ours and after 2 years, I can say it was and continues to be one of our best purchases.