HT Cooking Styles a la tv Chefs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HT Cooking Styles a la tv Chefs

How do you cook (not bake things like breads and desserts)? Are you like: Ina Gartner ~ carefully measuring all ingredients? Alton Brown ~ combining cooking and science in a sometimes funky way but with usually good results? Tyler Florence ~ trying out different versions of the same recipe to find the "ultimate" recipe? Rachael Ray ~ annoyingly perky a quick, reduced-fuss'n'muss cook, eye-balling ingredient amounts with wild abandon? Jamie Oliver ~ not the naked part, the part about rushing out to the wilds (or at least your back yard) to gather fresh items to cook? Paula Deen ~ all about the butter? Robert Irvine ~ prone to exaggerating good at whipping out lots of food under pressure? Or some other tv chef/cook?

Although I am not nearly as perky, I suspect I am closer to being a Rachael Ray kind of cook with a touch of Tyler Florence.

Re: HT Cooking Styles a la tv Chefs

I cook ... like me.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
      I cook ... like me.
      and which tv cooking show are you on?

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
        and which tv cooking show are you on?
        You Cook ... Like Me.

Sometimes I eyeball'um. Sometimes I measure'um.
        Last edited by Random; February 26, 2008, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
          You Cook ... Like Me.
          and do you have a specialty dish?

I don't really have a specialty dish right now although I do occasionally find a dish I like and make it for a while before moving on again.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
            and do you have a specialty dish?
            Fried Spam ... and Egg.

Comment

My style tends to be a lot more like Mario Batali's than anyone else's on television, I think. I seldom shop for groceries with specific dishes in mind, so when I get down to business, I look at what's in the fridge and work from that. My prepping tends to be on the rough and inexact side, and I adjust my strategies as the meal begins to take shape.

Jamie Oliver's a lot like that, except he seems to shop with a definite plan, 'though that plan seems to take its shape as he shops.

I also usually cook shirtless if I'm cooking only for myself. I suppose that makes me similar to Giada di Laurentiis.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I think I cook a lot like Rachel Ray because when the kids wanna eat they wanna eat NOW. I go out to the garage fridge and stack up everything I can and bring it in. then I go into the kitchen fridge and do the same thing. I put the pasta water on and start chopping the onions for saute. I get out a different cutting board to cut the other veggies for either steaming, sauteing or for the salad. Meat gets its on cutting board as well. Sometimes it's chicken, sometimes it's salmon, sometimes it's shrimp. I've been going through those four packs of ground turkey from Costco a lot lately for homemade hamburger helper for the girls; tortilla fillers, taco salad, Italian Wedding Soup, stuff like that. I also like to make Mediteranean Fish Soup with Orange Roughy.

Hey Scriv, I know it's kinda hard to discern, but Giada is actually wearing a top when she's cooking. Such distractingly perfect cleavage! And a size 2 bod to boot. There she is making lobster lasagne or crab and lobster canoli, tasting it, and still looking like a Barbie doll. I try not to resent such perfection as she devour tons of fats and carbs before our very eyes.
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                  Hey Scriv, I know it's kinda hard to discern, but Giada is actually wearing a top when she's cooking. Such distractingly perfect cleavage! And a size 2 bod to boot. There she is making lobster lasagne or crab and lobster canoli, tasting it, and still looking like a Barbie doll. I try not to resent such perfection as she devour tons of fats and carbs before our very eyes.
                  I like it when she kneads stuff. Just kneading, and kneading....
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                    My style tends to be a lot more like Mario Batali's than anyone else's on television, I think.
                    Yes, I am causing thread drift, just a wee bit. I am reading a book entitled Heat written by someone who worked in one of Batali's restaurants. If you're interested in reading cooking industry stuff (and perhaps if you don't ever intend to eat at one of Batali's restaurants) you may be interested in this book.
                    http://www.amazon.com/Heat-Adventure...4139982&sr=1-1

Comment

As far as what they do and how they do it on their TV show, I'd say I resemble Sam Choy (not in physical appearance, of course).

On his show, Sam usually plays host to other chefs who demonstrate their recipes and cooking style, then Sam takes those ideas and/or ingredients and puts his own spin on the dish.

That's what I enjoy doing. I'll watch a cooking show, or read a recipe online or from a book, think about how it was executed, then alter it just slightly to put my own signature, and to suite my own personal taste.

Case-in-point were two different styles of Fish 'N Chips I made not too long ago.

And Sam is into the whole fusion "Pacific/Hawaiian Regional Cuisine" thing, which also inspires my creative thought process in the kitchen.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Dammit Pomai, your pictures always make me hungry and I cannot go lunch yet

eta: Part of the reason I started this thread was because I came across a website called something like "Cooking for Engineers" which has precise measurements and step-by-step instructions as well as a picture of what the cooking process should look like at every stage of preparing the dish and it got me thinking about people process learning differently so it makes sense that people learn how to cook differently (or develop their own cooking styles), too.
                        Last edited by Adri; February 27, 2008, 09:58 AM.

Comment

I've seen the Cooking for Engineers site and got a great laugh out of it. As for comparing my cooking style to a TV chef, I think it is a combination of Tyler Florence (I often take a dish and try variations until I get the one we like, keeping notes all the time) and Jamie Oliver with his penchant for roasting large sheet pans of veggies, etc. Bobby Flay is also an inspiration as we love to grill stuff.

Comment

Working...
                          X