R.I.P., Uncle Ray Kane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P., Uncle Ray Kane

Slack key guitar legend Ray Kane passed last night.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: R.I.P., Uncle Ray Kane

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...ING01/80228028

So very sad, this week's losses. At least I got to hear one of them play live (Uncle Raymond was the featured artist on a CD made from live broadcasts I produced back in 1993).
    Last edited by Leo Lakio; February 28, 2008, 07:23 AM. Reason: added link to mele.com

Comment

I had the chance to buy a (BF) Fender Twin amp from Ray (for $300!) at the Kam swap meet decades ago. As I stood starring at the 2 gentlemen sitting by the amp, Raymond asks if it's a steel guitar I had in the case I was holding. It was, which got us into talking, when his friend asks if I know whom I'm talking to, pointing to Ray, at which point I high fived myself in my head, smiled and replied "Raymond Kane".
      Suprised the hell out of them!

The last thing I needed was that big amp, but I've always wished I had it, with his signature accross the top.

What a special person he was. Unafraid to let the tears flow when playing, he exibited the utmost in a giving attitude, on and off stage.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Bless his dear soul and much aloha to his beloved Elodia. What a treasure he was. What a week.......

Comment

Great musician and an even greater gentleman. When he performed at the old sports bar at Kahala Mall (I think it was called Randy's), I remembered him being able to perform virtually any request. Uncle Ray was a walking music encyclopedia.

One other thing: There are some slack-key guitar players (who shall remain nameless) who jealously guard the tunings that they use. Not so with Ray, who graciously shared his knowledge with many fellow guitarists. As a result, Uncle Ray's legacy will forever live on in the music that they play.

I do believe heaven is sounding a lot more musical now that Aunty Genoa and Uncle Ray is there.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I met Ray and Elodia when I was working at KGMB 1992-1996; we were shooting new installments of the revived "Island Music, Island Hearts" shows, and they were there to perform. What warm, wonderful people they were!

His passing is a great loss to the slack key community, and he will be missed. Aloha, Ray!

Comment

Auntie Elodia is holding up very well and sends her love to all of Uncle Ray's fans, friends and family. There'll be a church service next week, then his ashes will be scattered off of Nanakuli.
              The Advertiser has the news at at this link and the Star-Bulletin at this link.
              The media was at the house today. Tannya Joaquin from KHON, Ben Guiterrez for KITV, and someone from KGMB had been and gone. Not sure if KHNL sent anyone. (Tannya and KHON had it as the lead story just now.)
              KGMB has a couple of videos at this link.
              A couple of photos of Elodia being interviewd by Ben Guiterrez:

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Gary Keawe Aiko just recognized Uncle Ray Kane here at the Celebration of Life for Auntie Genoa Keawe at the Waikiki Beach Marriott's Moana Terrace. Uncle Ray is a cousin to the Keawe Aiko family.
                ___
                "Be god to each other."

Comment

What a sad week this has been. With the passing of the two greatest legends Aunty Genoa and Uncle Raymond Kane. You both will be surely missed in the islands.
                  Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Working...
                  X