"Lying in Repose / Lying in Honor"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Lying in Repose / Lying in Honor"

I wanted to pose this separately from Aunty Genoa's memorial thread because of the nature of the question, I didn't want to take the chance of having the memorial thread going too far off topic.

I've been following the many stories of the life of Aunty Genoa, how throughout her public career she promoted Hawaii, the Hawaiian language and basically acted as a public embodiment of the Aloha Spirit where ever she went.

With the length and expanse of her work in the public as an entertainer, her work in the private sector being an encouragement and mentor to many and the way in which she conducted her private life; was such that it was an intensely positive example for Hawaii. I'm a little surprised that she wasn't offered a place in 'repose' in the Capitol building to allow more to pay their respects.

I'm not saying she should have been 'Laying in State" and due a full state funeral. That's generally reserved for personages of high government or military commanders (although it's not without precedent being Iz had a 'Lying in State" at the Capitol), but does the State have anything in place similar to the Nation's "Lying in Honor" format like how it was done with Rosa Parks?

She certainly deserved that kind of Honoring.

I'm curious, does the family have to request that from the state? Does the 'state' (ie: someone representing the state) have to offer it first? With how big Aunty's family is, I have a feeling it was investigated or even requested by someone at some point. How did Iz's family or representatives get that to happen?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lay_in_state

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionar...Lying+in+honor

------------

Tho on reflection (after reading this thing over for speeling and confusion prevention) ....

From the stories I've heard in personal conversations, those that I've read and from those that have been recently broadcast, I get the feeling Aunty Genoa is well pleased with the honorings she's gotten and possibly a little perplexed by it all.

Maybe something as big as a 'lying in repose/lying in honor' didn't happen for a reason. That would by the nature of the setting be so very formal, it wouldn't have felt like family time. That was something that always comes through the stories, she loved her family...admittedly a huge family consisting of generations of relations both of the blood and by adoption, friends and fans (whom it seems she treated much like family)...but all her family, in need of each other and that specialness of family time. Formality can be a cold thing, when the deep indigo blues start creeping over the heart, families need the warmth and strength of each other to be able to look up and see the stars and know she's watching with those eyes that twinkled through any medium and quietly spoke of love, mischief, (the occasional flash of scoldings? She's a Tutu after all, it's in the job description) and encouragement.

Re: "Lying in Repose / Lying in Honor"

What I've heard from friends close to the family is that they (her `ohana) declined to do something like this, that it had been suggested to them.

Comment

Aahh...

I'm still wondering if Hawaii has anything like the Honoring system or is it just the full all or nothing Laying in State?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        What I've heard from friends close to the family is that they (her `ohana) declined to do something like this, that it had been suggested to them.
        =============
        If you think about it, Auntie Genoa went out to the people as much as they came to see her. So isn't it just so right that the family had 2 services on opposite sides of the island so it would be more convenient? Especially for a lot of her elderly friends in Laie. They would have to drive at least 1 hour all the way into town and find parking and walk a fair distance to the Capitol Rotunda. Then drive another hour back home... Auwe, too much pilikia, poho da gas too.

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
          I'm still wondering if Hawaii has anything like the Honoring system or is it just the full all or nothing Laying in State?
          The "lying in state" is pretty loose in the State of Hawai'i, as opposed to the Federal US government's distinction between "lying in state" and "lying in honor."

For example, the late great Israel Kamakawiwo'ole -- Bruddah IZ -- was granted to lay in state at our State Capital building.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
          X