Hilo not good enough for Salonga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilo not good enough for Salonga

Well it seems the Big Island was cut out of Lea Salonga's Hawaii tour. On the night of her performance the venue was cancelled with no notice or any indication at Sangha Hall the night of the event. No personnel, no notice, not even a scrap of paper indicating the concert was cancelled, leaving several ticket holders wondering what the heck was going on.

Here's an editorial from the Hilo Tribune Herald dated March 9th:

Salonga lost some fans

Sunday, March 9, 2008 8:41 AM HST

As advertised in this paper, there was a Lea Salonga concert scheduled Wednesday, March 5 at Sangha Hall. The doors to the hall were to open at 6:30 p.m. with the concert starting at 7:30 p.m. I arrived around 6:30 p.m. to a dark and locked venue, and an empty parking lot. Others arrived around the same time and we waited for someone to show up who knew something with regards to the show.

Around 7 p.m. a woman came to the parking lot and told us she had heard the concert was canceled. I called Ken's House of Pancakes (where I purchased my ticket) to check and yes, the show had been canceled. Luckily, I was able to get a full refund on my ticket. Unfortunately, some people came all the way from Kona to find out that the concert had been canceled.

I am very disappointed with the way the promoters and the venue handled the situation. I heard no notice on the radio (the same station that I heard advertisements for it on Saturday), nor did I see any sort of cancellation notice on the Tribune-Herald Web site. But most importantly, there was absolutely no notice at the venue itself.

Would it have been that difficult to tape a piece of paper to the door that said, "Concert Canceled. Refunds can be received at place of purchase. Sorry for the inconvenience"? Or, heaven forbid, have a staff member there to tell us the news in person?

We have some amazing groups in this town that provide us with live theater, music and other productions. I think it is important that we support arts and events in our community and I will continue to do so, but I am incredibly disappointed with the lack of respect shown to the consumers by the parties involved with this particular concert.

Shelbi Hostler

Hilo
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: Hilo not good enough for Salonga

FWIW, at least I don't feel too bad. They never bothered to schedule a concert for Moloka'i.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
    X