X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerry picks Edwards for Veep

Kerry names Edwards his running mate
    Originally posted by CNN
    Amid newly minted Kerry-Edwards banners and the cheers of flag-waving supporters, Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry formally announced Tuesday that he has chosen John Edwards as his running mate, calling the senator from North Carolina "a man who understands and defends the values of America."
    One of the first rules of politics is, never say never. Edwards, who once emphatically told interviewers he was not interested in the "Number Two Spot," is now the other half of John Kerry's presidential ticket. Edwards was the most likely pick, so there's little surprise... the question remains, can Edwards give Kerry the boost he needs to get over that 50-50 hump that's limited this election for months?

Does Edwards "balance the ticket"? I don't really know. To me, few candidates have really stuck out as unique (the recent exception being Howard "Yeeaurgh!" Dean), so Kerry-Edwards strikes me as interesting as Spaghetti-Linguini. I know Edwards is thought in some circles to be good looking, but I don't know what that's worth. It just seems like a "safe" pick... in an election year where I've come to hope for surprises.

Like many Democrats, Edwards did vote to support the war he now opposes. He comes from a law background, which can be as much a liability as an asset. Not exactly a working-class guy, but he seems to have fairly earnest roots.

Anyone more in-tune with the nuances of presidential politics have some insights to share? As it stands, I continue to be unimpressed with the challengers to George W. Bush... but becausethey're challengers to George W. Bush, they have my vote.

Re: Kerry picks Edwards for Veep

"not exactly a working-class guy?"

Read his bio. First one of his family to go to college; degree in textiles (textiles?) from one of the NC schools. Dad worked in a mill. The lawyer biz was later.

His campaign speech about "Two Americas" was dead on the money, if you look at the rising income gaps in this country.

I think it's a dynamite choice, and if Kerry had picked Gephardt I'd have gone ballistic and then voted for him anyway. This is much better, in my view.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Smart move not a surprise. As far as being "good looking" NC.
      Retired Senior Member

Comment

Two Johns don't make a right!
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Would have been much more amusing had he chosen Hillary.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
            Two Johns don't make a right!
            As opposed to Bush and Dick?

Comment

This kind of puts the fun out of having a convention.

Comment

"This kind of puts the fun out of having a convention."

They haven't been much fun for years and years.

Comment

Google News has tons of articles on the candidate Edwards. I'm thrilled to see him on the ticket, and after having been lukewarm about Kerry, I can now put more heart into my support for the ticket.

I just have to say that to responsibly understand the candidates, don't use Fox News as your sole news source. Actually, don't use any network TV as your sole news source. The premise on which questions are asked and the oversimplified labels give no true clue to what the candidates represent. Fox News turns both Kerry and Edwards into caricatures, which has its place in the diet of media consumption but should never be the core source of information.

For instance, Hannity will often say things like Kerry has "no moral backbone" or that he "flip-flops." That's an oversimplification of why Senators change their minds or why they vote certain ways on bills. A responsible leader will change his or her mind given the available facts. Truth is, many senators did support the war because of the "facts" provided by the administration. However, after more truth became evident, senators changed their mind and were indignant about being misled. I often think that some leaders or pundits keep their point of view because they are too prideful to change. They take a stand for the sake of taking a stand, and not for the content at hand.

In the same vein, don't take the network news' presentation of candidate voting records at face value. Certainly, voting records say "something," but they don't elucidate issues senators faced with politically scripted bills that ultimately passed. In fact, alternative funding plans, including temporarily rescinding tax cuts to the wealthy to fund post-war costs, were rejected by the senate. It takes more time to read a little deeper, but it's certainly worth it to understand the broader scope of each candidate.

Comment

. Actually, don't use any network TV as your sole news source.
                    Hear, hear. If you really want to know what Kerry has in mind, go to his website. He's got policy page after policy page up there. Same for Bush (sorta...it ain't nearly as comprehensive, and also you've had nearly four years to observe him).

Comment

Hi everyone...

Ever since Kerry announced John Edwards as his running mate, I've been really happy. Back before the nomination was clinched by Kerry, my first choice for the Democratic Presidential Nominee was John Edwards, due to his positions, message, and charisma.

Bush and his cronies apparently are running scared of the Kerry-Edwards ticket, and have taken to questioning John Edwards' fitness to be President (presumably if something ever happened to Kerry).

Just on heart alone, John Edwards would be a more capable president than Dick "the Dick" Cheney. Literally. Cheney's on the closest thing to a pacemaker, for crying out loud!

But more than that, I was impressed by this UPI editor's detailed comments on Edwards and his career and Senatorial track record. When you hear Bush-CHENEY questioning Edwards' experience, I think he's more than qualified. Definitely more qualified than Bush was when he took office.

Read this column. I was certainly impressed by Edwards, and I think you will be, too.

http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=...7-020933-2331r

Comment

That is a good column. Thanks. Unfortunately, Edwards took down his website, which also had a bunch of his other policy proposals.

Comment

Posted: August 28, 2004 1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

The legal watchdog group Judicial Watch announced the release of recently declassified documents that indicate Sen. John Kerry accepted laundered contributions from the communist Chinese government for his 1996 re-election campaign. In exchange, Judicial Watch suspects, the presidential candidate might have arranged meetings between Chinese aerospace executives and U.S. government officials.
                          Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

WHAT? Is this fo' real? ...Is the post by Karen accurate?
                            Retired Senior Member

Comment

Both WorldNetDaily.com and Judicial Watch are hardly objective outlets. If the latter sounds familiar, it's because they committed significant resources to digging up dirt on the Clinton campaign years ago. In any case, here's JW's press release calling for the investigation.

It bears noting that a lot of this is old news, leading back to Johnny Chung, a technology CEO and wannabe beltway player who collected money from employees as well as (he claims) from Casil, a state-owned Chinese aerospace firm, to donate to Clinton and the DNC.

Anyway, as with the campaign finance controversies we have right here in Hawaii, wrongly collected money doesn't neccessarily mean the recipients of the donations knew the source or methods... though obviously folks should have been more careful.
                              The Justice Department investigation has no evidence suggesting that any officials either at the White House or the DNC were aware of the source of Chung's money or that Chung ever explicitly attempted to influence any administration policy decisions, investigators said.
                              While hardcore Bush fans are enjoying this lated manufactured flap, the smart ones know not to bang on the drum too hard. Funny money is everywhere, and when it comes to money and connections in general, Republicans are swimmin' in it.
                              Last edited by pzarquon; August 29, 2004, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X