Aloha from Omaha, Nebraska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from Omaha, Nebraska

I'm Babs. I'm 43 and live in Omaha, Nebraska. I've lived in 5 states, including Hawaii. I lived there from 1977 to 1983 and visited there last in 1992. It's been a while! Once you've lived in Hawaii, it's certainly a place you never forget. I happened upon this site when doing a search for other things. I'm glad I found it and am looking forward to keeping in touch with what's going on in the Aloha State. I used to play in rock bands in Hawaii -- I played guitar. You'll certainly see posts from me about the local music scene in Hawaii. I had the time of my life making music for people when I lived there.

Thanks for the welcome to these boards.

Re: Aloha from Omaha, Nebraska

Hooo! You are in the land of cold winters and steamy summers! (I'm an ex-Iowan myself.) Here in Seattle, one of the musicians in our halau escaped Omaha over thirty years ago, and the co-owner of a Hawaiian gift shop out here is also from Omaha (she met and married a kanaka while they were both in San Francisco).

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      Hooo! You are in the land of cold winters and steamy summers! (I'm an ex-Iowan myself.) Here in Seattle, one of the musicians in our halau escaped Omaha over thirty years ago, and the co-owner of a Hawaiian gift shop out here is also from Omaha (she met and married a kanaka while they were both in San Francisco).
      When I hear Omaha I think of two things, steaks and Wild Kingdom.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        Where do you think the steaks came from? (You might say the two items were not "Mutual"-ly exclusive... *OUCH!*)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          Where do you think the steaks came from? (You might say the two items were not "Mutual"-ly exclusive... *OUCH!*)

Welcome, Babs!

Comment

Aloha and Welcome Babs!!

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Aloha kaua! E komo mai! Pehea 'oe?

Do you know any Jawaiian or traditional Hawaiian songs by any chance?

It would be fun to kanikapila with you!
              'Alika

Comment

Ha ha ha, before I moved here I mainly thought of Wild Kingdom if the subject of Omaha came up -- that and a Looney Tunes cartoon in which Daffy Duck presents a license to sell hair tonic to bald eagles in Omaha, Nebraska.

I haven't lived here very long. Before here I lived for 17 years in Denver, Colorado. I'm liking it here so far. I've found that wherever I've lived I've been able to meet terrific people if I treat people with respect and am genuine. That was definitely true of Hawaii also.

Aloha kaua! E komo mai! Pehea 'oe?

Do you know any Jawaiian or traditional Hawaiian songs by any chance?

It would be fun to kanikapila with you!
                I'm doing great. I primarily played rock music when I played in bands in Hawaii. However, I did develop an appreciation for Hawaiian music. At the time, Cecilio & Kapono were very popular and had a smash hit, Honolulu City Lights. I did get the chance one time to learn and perform Hawaiian music. The guitar player for a Hawaiian band at my high school got sick and couldn't perform for one of the school functions and I was brought in to fill in for him. At the time I didn't think of it as any big deal, but now I'm really glad that happened (well, not the part about the guy getting sick). But today I'm really glad I got the opportunity to perform some Hawaiian music. In fact, one of the songs were performed was called (and I may be misspelling this -- apologies if I am) Me Ke'aloha kuuhomeo kahalu. It's a song a local artist recorded sometime probably in the early 80s. I don't remember who wrote and recorded that song. In fact, if anyone here recognizes it and can direct me to where I might find an MP3 of it, I'd be very grateful. The song had genuine emotion and brings back good memories for me. That's the thing that's most important to me about music -- that it convey genuine emotion, regardless of what kind of music it is. If I could listen to that song once again after all these years -- wow -- that would mean a lot to me. I think the lyrics started out as, "I remember days when we were younger..."

Other music I'd love to track down: Schnazz. They were a local rock band headed by "The Fritz," who was a local DJ at the time. Their big hit was a cover of "I think we're alone now." I actually used to have their album on vinyl, but its' somehow gotten lost over the years.

So, yeah, man, I'd love to visit Hawaii and kanikapila with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs Zizback View Post
                  Ha ha ha, before I moved here I mainly thought of Wild Kingdom if the subject of Omaha came up -- that and a Looney Tunes cartoon in which Daffy Duck presents a license to sell hair tonic to bald eagles in Omaha, Nebraska.
                  Gotta a title for that cartoon?
                  [...] At the time, Cecilio & Kapono were very popular and had a smash hit, Honolulu City Lights.
                  Might that have been the Beamer Brothers, Keola and Kapono?
                  [...]In fact, one of the songs were performed was called (and I may be misspelling this -- apologies if I am) Me Ke'aloha kuuhomeo kahalu.
                  Close! Ku`u Home O Kahalu`u
                  It's a song a local artist recorded sometime probably in the early 80s. I don't remember who wrote and recorded that song. In fact, if anyone here recognizes it and can direct me to where I might find an MP3 of it, I'd be very grateful.
                  The iTunes Music Store has it by various artists.
                  [...]Other music I'd love to track down: Schnazz.[...]
                  Check this thread and this one!

Comment

I have a really awesome friend who lives in Omaha, and she loves me so much that she sends me Omaha Steaks every year for Christmas!

I'm salivating for some Runza (anything from Runza!) right now.

Stopped in last year for the College World Series and I can't wait to go back!
                    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                    We're not here to mess around
                    Boston, you know we love you madly
                    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                    You know we couldn't live without you
                    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

tutusue, thank you so much for the info on Me Ke'aloha Ku`u Home O Kahalu`u. I found it online and listened to it again for the first time in 24 years. Wow, talk about the power of music. A bunch of emotion and memories came back to me.

As embarassing as it is, I have to admit I don't know what the title, "Me Ke'aloha Ku`u Home O Kahalu`u" means even though I performed it. When you're 18 you don't always care about stuff like that. Today I'd really like to know. Maybe someone who knows would be so kind as to tell me. The version I heard way back when was the one by Olomana. It nearly brought tears to my eyes when I heard it after all this time. Wow, what a great song.

Might that have been the Beamer Brothers, Keola and Kapono?
                      Turns out it is. I looked it up on Wikipedia. All these years I thought it was by Cecilio & Kapono.

Gotta a title for that cartoon?
                      Yes, it's called Boobs in the Woods. Here's a description from a cartoon site:

Boobs in the Woods (1950, Dir: McKimson) Daffy Duck and Porky Pig take over for Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd in this one, and the result is another keeper starring the duo. Daffy Duck goes to great lengths (even dressing up like Pocahantas) to make sure Porky Pig doesn't get to paint the scenery around him. "Do you have a license to sell hair tonic to bald eagles in Omaha, Nebraska?"
                      I have a really awesome friend who lives in Omaha, and she loves me so much that she sends me Omaha Steaks every year for Christmas!
                      That's nice of her. I, however, won't be enjoying any Omaha steaks. I'm a vegetarian. No biggie. I'm in major meat eating country, but I've found people are quite willing to accept me here as is. I don't go around preaching about it to anyone. I just do my own thing and let others do theirs.

I'm glad I found this site. Now it's got me itching to visit Hawaii. It's been a long time.

Comment

Aloha fellow vegetarian!!
                        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

[...]Yes, it's called Boobs in the Woods. Here's a description from a cartoon site:[...]
                          Thanks for that. It's one I don't have.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                            Aloha fellow vegetarian!!
                            I remember a time when my wife and I went to a potluck at her (then) college professor's home. It was an intimate dinner with just two other couples, however the other guests weren't aware it was a potluck and my wife kinda figured it out ahead of time so we brought a main dish, side and dessert.

The host (the professor) figured the guests were bring the food so she just supplied the placement and the place.

Well as it turned out my wife and I were the only non-vegetarian's there and we brought home a lot of food. Oh well.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

As embarassing as it is, I have to admit I don't know what the title, "Me Ke'aloha Ku`u Home O Kahalu`u" means even though I performed it. When you're 18 you don't always care about stuff like that. Today I'd really like to know. Maybe someone who knows would be so kind as to tell me. The version I heard way back when was the one by Olomana. It nearly brought tears to my eyes when I heard it after all this time. Wow, what a great song.
                              I don't know Hawaiian but it's along the lines of "Love for my home Kahalu`u".

Here ya go:
                              http://ukulele.lanaicityrental.com:8...u_Key_of_D.pdf
                              Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                              Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                              We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                              Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Working...
                              X