Affirmative Action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affirmative Action

These are history making times in the US with a woman and a mixed race man as viable presidential candidates. Apparently, this has caused some people to try to do away with affirmative action.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23802303

/snip Connerly contends that the success of Obama and Clinton shows that preferences are no longer necessary "to compensate for, quote, institutional racism and institutional sexism." .... Hudson, of the Eastern Missouri ACLU, said opponents of affirmative action "fail to take into account the on-the-ground realities that continue to persist." Their victory, he said, "would undermine one of the greatest achievements of the civil rights era."
    I'm ambivalent about affirmative action. I understand the basis for it ~ to level the playing field for past discrimination/disadvantages and for remnants of such discrimination/disadvantages that may exist today for minorities. However, I've also experienced the assumption that I've gotten where I am not through my own hard work but simply because I'm an asian female and heard about issues of institutions of higher education with a requirement that a certain minimum number of their students must be a minority using that minimum as a maximum and trying to force students who would qualify for that school under any circumstances to enter under the affirmative action program so that the school would not have to fill the slots with the intended people (people who were somehow at a disadvantage because of their background or due to some kind of discrimination but who could meet the academic standards if given a chance).

So, what do you think about affirmative action? and is it time to do away with it? Is the field now totally level for everyone?

Re: Affirmative Action

Affirmative action is both an outdated, and an entirely stupid idea.

The concept of favoring a particular race to some degree is lost on me, when many of those same races are the ones always yelling "RACISM" in other situations.

I have many friends that got into great schools because of affirmative action. One of them got into a very prestigious school, and told me years later that he would not have gotten in if he "wasn't hispanic".

In this day in age, with such easy access to information and learning materials, the idea that racial or environmental factors so heavily weigh on people that affirmative action is needed is certainly outdated.
    Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Originally posted by dyasu View Post

The concept of favoring a particular race to some degree is lost on me, when many of those same races are the ones always yelling "RACISM" in other situations.

I have many friends that got into great schools because of affirmative action. One of them got into a very prestigious school, and told me years later that he would not have gotten in if he "wasn't hispanic".

In this day in age, with such easy access to information and learning materials, the idea that racial or environmental factors so heavily weigh on people that affirmative action is needed is certainly outdated.
      Then why, when racial preferences were removed, the number of black students at UCLA took a dramatic plunge, while nearly every spot that therefore opened was taken by an person of Asian descent.
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
        Then why, when racial preferences were removed, the number of black students at UCLA took a dramatic plunge, while nearly every spot that therefore opened was taken by an person of Asian descent.
        Better grades/scores?
        website - http://www.brianhancock.com
        blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
          Better grades/scores?
          Right! So unless we're suggesting that better scores can be predicted by race, there's no level playing field. That "field" includes the quality of early education, your parents education and work ethic, the role models available to you, etc.
          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

A good book about the subject is called The Bell Curve. Check it out.
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
              So, what do you think about affirmative action? and is it time to do away with it? Is the field now totally level for everyone?
              I doubt the field is totally level for everyone.

And I say that knowing I prefer Merit over Affirmative Action.
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

If somebody PRESUMED that I was naturally not as capable as another due to some esoteric, nearly imaginary, reason, I am not sure if I would be offended or angry. It surprises me that those who receive entitlement based upon anything other than merit can actually do so with dignity.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post

no

and

no.

but you'd expect those answers from me.
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                    no

and

no.

but you'd expect those answers from me.
                    I think you forgot one question.

But I'd suspect you were answering question's 2 and 3? and not 1 and 2 cuz ho boy...I'm guessing 2 and 3
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      I think you forgot one question.

But I'd suspect you were answering question's 2 and 3? and not 1 and 2 cuz ho boy...I'm guessing 2 and 3
                      use your deductive reasoning, mr. watanabe. you know...the kind of reasoning a liberal arts degree teaches...*wink*
                      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Well I have to agree with your friend.......In my own personal situation my
                        ethnicity no doubt offered opportunity that I might not otherwise have had to go to a rather prestigious school as well. However, due to a rather less than stellar GPA prior to entering and while at the school I must say it was extremely tough and a rocky road in classes. Somehow I graduated and the rest is history. When I got in I was the only full blooded of my kind there
                        which was interesting in itself. This I know because I ended up working in the Admissions Office part-time. I was also offered enrollment to UCLA & USC & ASU based on same criteria. Neither was recent however, I'm saying 1974 & 1976. A small factor might have been that I graduated from high school in 3 years at 16.

Comment

use your deductive reasoning, mr. watanabe. you know...the kind of reasoning a liberal arts degree teaches...*wink*
                          I did but I didn't need a degree to figure that one out.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            I did but I didn't need a degree to figure that one out.
                            lucky you.

what proportion of kids who go to farrington or campbell have the same access to a computer with high speed internet that you obviously do?

Comment

what proportion of kids who go to farrington or campbell have the same access to a computer with high speed internet that you obviously do?
                              As I said before, we are far from offering a leveling field of education to our children.

Until we do, Affirmative Action have to stay.
                              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                              X