Camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping

My sweetie and I are crazy about camping, and since we have 3 weeks til our apartment is available, we want to go camping for a few days.
    But NOT where the campers are there long-term, if you know what I mean.
    Does anyone have any good campsite recommendations for us?
    I read that we need a camping permit for some places, but thats okay, there's a satellite city hall right nearby.
    I just want to camp somewhere nice, safe, and fun....
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Re: Camping

Bellows Beach in Waimanalo. Open to the public on weekends; military the rest of the time. You'll love it!

My ex-wife Plaintiff felt we were camping if we stayed in a 4-star hotel instead of a 5-star.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Bellows is nice. I like Malaekahana on the north side too. But you might feel safer at Bellows especially if you camp close to the guardshack.

Comment

Is Bellows open to the public for camping? I was under the impression that the camping facilities were only offered to those with military connections.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
          Is Bellows open to the public for camping? I was under the impression that the camping facilities were only offered to those with military connections.
          On weekdays the public can't even get past the first guard shack next to Kalanianaole Highway, but from Friday noon through Monday noon they can, and camping is allowed all along that first section of beach all the way until you get to the second guard shack. From that point on, it's always military only.
          Pretty good body surfing/boogie boarding areas there too, especially where the road first hits the beach, by the stream.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I was thinking of those nice cabins. i believe that they're only for the military:

http://www.bellowsafs.com/

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
              I was thinking of those nice cabins. i believe that they're only for the military:

http://www.bellowsafs.com/
              This is a great web site for Turtlegirl as it also includes camping information. But, yah, WORN...I'd opt for the nice cabins! Oh well, I'm not military.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                This is a great web site for Turtlegirl as it also includes camping information. But, yah, WORN...I'd opt for the nice cabins! Oh well, I'm not military.
                Did you check out the little video? Some lovely shots of that gorgeous beach. And those cabins---max per night is $80 for a two-bedroom!

My husband is a Vietnam vet but that doesn't get us any perks, unfortunately.

Comment

Bellows is SO nice! The sand there is like powder! We went there last weekend and played around on the boogie boards, but I wasn't aware that it was an active base closed to the public on weekdays. Bummer.
                  My brother is Air Force, and he stayed there a few years ago. He still won't shut up about what a great time he had!

Comment

Does anyone know anything about camping at Malaekahana Beach, near Kahuku?
                    Oh, and we're going to make reservations at Bellows for the weekend, YaY!

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                      Does anyone know anything about camping at Malaekahana Beach, near Kahuku?
                      Yes, we do.

Comment

Thanks!!
                        This is gonna be great - first a military campsite, then a hippie camp!!

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                          Thanks!!
                          This is gonna be great - first a military campsite, then a hippie camp!!
                          =====================
                          A bit of advice:
                          There is a nice little island off of Malaekahana called "Goat Island". It is a protected bird sanctuary, but you can go there as long as you stay on the sand and do not go anywhere near the grass because that is where the birds are nesting. People walk there when the tide is low. The trick is to determine when the tide is low and get off the island before the tide rises too high. For any given day, consult a tide chart; http://www.freetidetables.com/
                          and look for Honolulu, Hawaii and find the Haleiwa-Waialua tables. Do not take data from Honolulu Harbor as it is quite different from the other side of the island. For example, this Wednesday it would be nice to walk out there at about 6am and get off about 9am. Or walk out at about 3pm and get off before 8pm, weather permitting. Please respect the aina and do not leave any foreign objects on that island.

Comment

OMG! Thanks for that info!! I didn't know!
                            We promise to stay on the sand, and bag and carry off any trash we might find there!
                            I'm even more excited to get to see Goat Island now that I know it's a bird sanctuary - how nice is that!

But I am a little sore on the subject of birds right at this moment, too....

Comment

Hi all!
                              We have called Bellows 10 times in two days and nobody answers the reservation line. It just rings and rings.
                              Help!

Comment

Working...
                              X