Suggestions on searching for an Uncle, ex-Marine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on searching for an Uncle, ex-Marine

Aloha! We are searching for an uncle that was a Marine. Other than GOOGLE, does anyone have suggestions as to how or where we can search for him? We don't even know what state he is in. We've searched the Social Security Death Index and didn't find his name.

Re: Suggestions on searching for an Uncle, ex-Marine

Did you try contacting The Marines?
    http://www.usmc.mil/Pages/Default.aspx
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
      Did you try contacting The Marines?
      http://www.usmc.mil/Pages/Default.aspx
      Is it okay to do that? Will it work with the Army? Was wondering about that as we've been trying to locate my wife's bio father. Nam era GI based in Okinawa. Doesn't know he has a daughter. Sorry to sidetrack.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
        Is it okay to do that? Will it work with the Army? Was wondering about that as we've been trying to locate my wife's bio father. Nam era GI based in Okinawa. Doesn't know he has a daughter. Sorry to sidetrack.
        She did indicate searching in the "Social Security Death Index." Having SS# is like having gold.

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will search on that link that was posted. As far as the SS Death Index goes, you don't even need a SS# - just a first and last name are enough. This is a great site though.

Comment

Try the Salvation Army. I hear they have a very good search program.
            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ms_Aloha_Nui View Post
              Aloha! We are searching for an uncle that was a Marine. Other than GOOGLE, does anyone have suggestions as to how or where we can search for him? We don't even know what state he is in. We've searched the Social Security Death Index and didn't find his name.
              An issue with your quest is that many of today's "help me find my military relative" searches are actually pretexts for legal efforts to serve process or to collect debts. Some of them have even turned out to be police pursuing felony warrants. Veterans have become pretty reluctant to respond to these queries, especially if they're divorced veterans.

Even if you convince people that you're legit, you'll still be awash in offers to find your uncle-- for a suitable fee.

A quick place to start would be Military.com's discussion board. Look for their "buddy finder" or similar pages. Tell as much as you can while keeping yourself as anonymous as possible and see if the answer drops in your lap.

If you have friends or family who are legit USMC veterans then they could register at Marines.TogetherWeServed.com. It's been around for several years and it has the credibility of only offering membership to Marines. But make sure that the member actually was a Marine.

For this type of search to succeed you need as much info as you can possibly provide-- full name, nicknames, dates of service, dates of ranks (especially promotions), duty stations, units, qualifications, campaign or theater awards, and any injuries/hospitalization. Others will remember unusual appearance/accents, particular preferences or hobbies, scars & tattoos, and any "secrets" that the veteran had to hide from the chain of command.

If this Marine was medically treated then they'd be seen by a Navy corpsman. They may also have associated with sailors for shipboard or security duty. So if you can access MTWS.com then you may also want to search their shipmate site Navy.TogetherWeServed.com.
              Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
              Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
              We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
              Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Thank you all so very much for your suggestions and ideas. Last night, after I had enlisted another cousin's help, we found out that this uncle passed away in 1969 in Cleveland, Ohio. We were able to confirm his date of birth and have requested a copy of his death certificate. It wasn't the result that we were hoping for but at least we know.

Again, mahalo for all your kokua.

Comment

Working...
                X