Slate Patio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slate Patio

has anyone used slate for a patio in their house? a friend of mine has it and it seems to chip every now and again. different malls on o'ahu have and it seems to hold up to the traffic. are there different grades?
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Re: slate patio

When we bought our house the courtyard was slate, it was a mess. It did chip a lot and water went underneath from the cracks and the tiles became like a teeter totter..We ripped it out and had a company put in stamped concrete instead that looks like lava rock, very nice in appearance.

On our back deck we put in Sundek which has been a real pain in the ..
    It has bubbled and puckered and cracked and is only 2 years old. We have
    had numerous repairs done and are awaiting another in two weeks

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
      When we bought our house the courtyard was slate, it was a mess. It did chip a lot and water went underneath from the cracks and the tiles became like a teeter totter..We ripped it out and had a company put in stamped concrete instead that looks like lava rock, very nice in appearance.

Can I ask what company you used for the stamped concrete work?

Comment

most of the problems i have encountered or heard about with bad slate has been with slate imported from china.....i would steer clear of chinese slate.
        the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
          most of the problems i have encountered or heard about with bad slate has been with slate imported from china.....i would steer clear of chinese slate.
          I'd stay away from a lot of products made in China lately...but then again mostly everything is made there
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

i have stamped concrete at my kapolei house. it's nice, but i'm not sure concrete would work-out for the patio area i'm contemplating. this would be on the big island. i'm doing an indoor/outdoor open living floor plan. the kitchen flooring would be the same as the patio/deck. two of the three bedrooms and the living room would open up to the patio/deck and the dining area would be the patio/deck (weather permitting). so maybe instead of stone or concrete, i would need to consider another alternative. man, that really sucks about your sundek!

a couple of you have said to steer away from slate coming from china. so, what is it that the malls are using? both ala moana and windward mall have used it extensively. haven't been to pearlridge in years so don't know what they have.
            "chaos reigns within.
            order shall return."

Comment

Re: Slate Patio

Stuff from China is the cheap stuff. From what I've seen on good slate installations is the use of distressed slate where the edges are pre-chipped.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                Stuff from China is the cheap stuff. From what I've seen on good slate installations is the use of distressed slate where the edges are pre-chipped.
                interesting. i've also seen travertine that's used outside and it looks distressed and unpolished (for good reason) and seemed to have more pock marks in it? as opposed to the stuff used indoors? the homeowner used the "outdoors" travertine throughout the entire indoors. seemed to hold up well in kailua.
                "chaos reigns within.
                order shall return."

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                  interesting. i've also seen travertine that's used outside and it looks distressed and unpolished (for good reason) and seemed to have more pock marks in it? as opposed to the stuff used indoors? the homeowner used the "outdoors" travertine throughout the entire indoors. seemed to hold up well in kailua.
                  Working at Home Depot I see a lot of outdoor travertine being used for indoor use. We have a hard time keeping it in stock. BTW if you are planning on buying the stuff remember one pallet of it will probably kill your 1/4 ton pickup truck's rear suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    Working at Home Depot I see a lot of outdoor travertine being used for indoor use. We have a hard time keeping it in stock. BTW if you are planning on buying the stuff remember one pallet of it will probably kill your 1/4 ton pickup truck's rear suspension.
                    thank you! good to know.
                    "chaos reigns within.
                    order shall return."

Comment

We also have some quartzite in Hebei Gold that is
                      really pretty and does not get hot (compared to many
                      materials) in the sun. We have an area off the living room abutting one of our water features that we call a "slab" but it's actually more attractive than that would sound! as well as some custom steps as a walkway to the back garden.
                      It is very very durable and keeps pretty clean with minimal power washing needed.

Comment

We also have some quartzite in Hebei Gold that is
                        really pretty and does not get hot (compared to many
                        materials) in the sun. We have an area off the living room abutting one of our water features that we call a "slab" but it's actually more attractive than that would sound! as well as some custom steps as a walkway to the back garden.
                        It is very very durable and keeps pretty clean with minimal power washing needed.
                        kinda sounds like the floor plan i'm looking at.
                        "chaos reigns within.
                        order shall return."

Comment

It's very pretty, we got ours at Marblehaus when it first came
                          out, Turtle Bay is done in it as well.

Comment

when you see slate used in large projects.....they have an quality assurance person or buyer vist the source to ascertain the quality and to make sure it meets specs.....i did this for a client for other chinese stone on three occasions.....very interesting aspect of the import biz.
                            the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

We went and personally selected our pallets for color match (as it were)
                              and quality we are definitely pleased. We had leftover which we donated.

Comment

Working...
                              X