Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Bands

So, who likes what?

Bands I can get into include, but are not limited to (in no particular order): The Crud, Buddhist Priest, Extra Stout, Pimpbot, Hellbound Hounds (despite thier having moved to L.A.), No-No Boys, Saggy Terry and the Meat Curtains, my ex is dead, Suspicious Minds...

There must be more under the radar...

Re: Local Bands

Go Jimmy Go is my favorite now that we no longer have Willie K and his band ... well, at least not on Oahu although Maui folks are evidently luckier,
    at least in getting the real Willie instead of the Amy-moulded theatre act.

The emphasis here seems so much stronger on individual musicians rather than a band. This is not necessarily awful (witness the wonderful solo CD's by the members of the former Pure Heart), but it would be good to hear more local bands .... especially on the radio!

Comment

>> Go Jimmy Go is my favorite now that we no longer have Willie K and his band ... well, at least not on Oahu although Maui folks are evidently luckier,
      at least in getting the real Willie instead of the Amy-moulded theatre act. <<

Check out Willie's schedule on his website. He's currently touring all over Europe, then heads to China, then a big tour on the mainland.

>> The emphasis here seems so much stronger on individual musicians rather than a band. This is not necessarily awful (witness the wonderful solo CD's by the members of the former Pure Heart) <<

What is Guy Cruz doing these days?
      And speaking of Cruz, I see that John Cruz is no longer playing at Anna's, and haven't seen him listed anywhere else. Maybe that long-awaited second album will actually come out in our lifetime?!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

One of my favorite local rock n roll bands is Rubber Soul who bill themselves as Hawaii's only Beatles cover band. They're good.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
          One of my favorite local rock n roll bands is Rubber Soul who bill themselves as Hawaii's only Beatles cover band. They're good.
          What ever happened to MORRISON, the Doors cover band?

Comment

Speaking of "loca Bands".....
            Has anyone heard about the original S.O.S. band that moved to Las Vegas,
            Are they by chance either moving back here,
            or atleast coming back for a tour/visit to play here in Honolulu?.

They are the funniest group.
            I saw them once, here in honolulu long time ago,
            & another time in Las Vegas on my birtday.
            Aches & Pains
            (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

"What is Guy Cruz doing these days?"

I see him listed in the Weekly's calendar most weeks, although it has been quite some time since I've been to one of his gigs.

"And speaking of Cruz, I see that John Cruz is no longer playing at Anna's, and haven't seen him listed anywhere else. Maybe that long-awaited second album will actually come out in our lifetime?!"

[cough] any day now [cough]. Dunno what happened at Anna's, the longest running gig John has maintained since the Hot Lava days.

Jon Yamasato's first solo CD is, though, wonderful listening, even if he isn't a Cruz.

Comment

John Cruz didn't even start his gigs at Anna Banana's until 10pm or 10:30pm, making it darned hard for those of us who have day jobs to see him.
                A lot of clubs seem to have late starting times. Perhaps okay on a weekend, but on weekdays? One would think they'd get a better turnout if they started earlier. Especially true for those who live north shore or windward side.

Comment

linus

Comment

Working...
                  X