Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to access HT earlier

Anybody else had this problem?

When I went to HT this morning, I kept getting wierd messages from my computer whenever I tried to get to this site. It was awful!! No HT!? HT is like crack to me!!

Glad to be back online with y'all!
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Re: Unable to access HT earlier

Yep! I had problems, too. With every link I clicked my computer started downloading an application and I had to hit cancel. So, I got some work done instead of reading HT! Oh, and I talked with turtlegirl!

Comment

Urgh. I downloaded that file by accident. Now I can't find it on my computer. I really want to erase it. Does anybody know how I can find recently downloaded files? My computer is a newer pc. Help!

Nice talking to you, Sue!!

Comment

If I go straight to:

http://www.hawaiithreads.com

I get the weird popup window asking me to open/save a file.

If I go to:

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/index.php

it works ok.
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
        "
        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

I got it for about four hours today, too - it kept pushing a file called "hawaiithreads_com" at me, but I wouldn't let it through. It's fine now, but I had dropped a PM to Ryan.

Turtlegirl, look for that filename, and you might find it.

Comment

Ack! Look for it where? I just got this laptop as an Xmas present, and I barely know how to work it! And nobody's around the house right now that can tell me how.

Comment

My apologies. It was a misconfiguration on the web server (Apache, specifically) that has been corrected. It also seemed to affect only some browsers -- I couldn't get in on Firefox, but could login just fine in Internet Explorer.

And don't fret... the mysterious file that was served was just the website itself. Specifically, the PHP code that would normally be displayed as the HawaiiThreads.com you all know and love. The server apparently forgot that .php files were for rendering, not downloading, hence the prompt on some machines.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                Ack! Look for it where? I just got this laptop as an Xmas present, and I barely know how to work it! And nobody's around the house right now that can tell me how.
                If you had a Mac I could help you!

When I clicked on "Latest" I started downloading search.php and when I clicked on one of the forums I started downloading forumdisplay.php. I got a dialogue box in each case telling me they were applications and did I want to continue the download...<cancel>!

ETA...I was using Safari.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                  It was a misconfiguration on the web server (Apache, specifically) that has been corrected. It also seemed to affect only some browsers -- I couldn't get in on Firefox, but could login just fine in Internet Explorer.
                  When I e-mailed you earlier today, it was Internet Explorer that wouldn't let me in, on both my home and office computers.
                  Anyway, glad it's fixed.
                  So, how many of us e-mailed you about the problem? Bet you were flooded by we HT addicts!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

i don't know. i just got on the computer and it was doing the same thing to me on aol. so i switched over to road runner/internet explorer and it works okay from here. gotta check out the aol though.
                    "chaos reigns within.
                    reflect, repent and reboot.
                    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Urgh. I downloaded that file by accident. Now I can't find it on my computer. I really want to erase it. Does anybody know how I can find recently downloaded files? My computer is a newer pc. Help!
                      Does the computer run Vista, Windows XP or is it a Macintosh?

Comment

still can't access ht using aol. the message reads: do you want to save this file, or find a program online to open it? second window says: navigation to webpage was canceled.
                        "chaos reigns within.
                        reflect, repent and reboot.
                        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Yeah, lucky you it was cancelled! I still have this file floating around my computer somewhere. Let the computer find something to open it with, it didn't do anything (except download itself) and now it's lost.
                          I'm pretty sure I have Windows Vista.

Comment

Yeah, lucky you it was cancelled! I still have this file floating around my computer somewhere. Let the computer find something to open it with, it didn't do anything (except download itself) and now it's lost.
                            I'm pretty sure I have Windows Vista.
                            just go to ANY web page, right click on any image, and choose Save Image As. A new window will probably appear and it's asking you where you want to save it. Don't click Save but DO look at where that image was going to be saved. Go to that folder and you'll find that file there....
                            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

If you don't find the file make sure that the text window that says "Save as Type" says All files.

And if you can't find it let Ryan says don't worry about it, the amount of space this file is taken up is not that much.

Comment

Working...
                              X