Giovanni's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giovanni's

Friends: Does any one have any idea how I can buy a bottle of Giovanni's hot and spicy sauce and have it mailed to me? I used to in the past when there was a web site, but now I have no idea. Any help or ideas would really be appreciated. Thanks! Chuck

Re: Giovanni's

You mean Giovanni's... like the Shrimp Shack on North Shore?
    Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Giovanni's White Shrimp Truck, the most beloved of all shrimp trucks around here? Do you know if they sell the hot and spicy sauce right off the truck?
      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Yup, Dyasu, that's the one! I fell in love with their H O T shrimp back in 1994 and, up to a few years ago, have been able to buy the bottles of sauce via their website. Now that's gone, and I haven't made it back to the truck to buy it in person. Thanks. Chuck

Comment

Thought I'd bump this up. Hope that's ok. Anyway, I'm going into withdrawals, and really need my fix. Any ideas? Thanks. Chuck

Comment

Have you tried calling them directly to inquire into the possibility of having the sauce shipped out to you?

Their number (according to an Internet source; not sure how accurate it is):
            (808) 293-1839

Comment

Thanks, Absolut. I phoned and the lady told me that not only don't they sell bottles via the mail, you can't even go to the truck and buy any "to go". Thanks again. Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by Hueneme View Post
                Thanks, Absolut. I phoned and the lady told me that not only don't they sell bottles via the mail, you can't even go to the truck and buy any "to go". Thanks again. Chuck
                Sorry the answer wasn't the one you were looking for, but I guess knowing is better than the unknown.

Comment

At least that was the right phone number! Thanks AC for that.

There's a few reviews out there on the place...
                  Giovanni's Aloha Shrimp - Ono Kine Grindz
                  Yelp reviews

...and from reading through them, while I haven't been to Giovanni's myself, it sounds basically like a garlic butter sauce, perhaps with the addition of a hot sauce (which there's TONS of brands out there) as an option.

Why Giovanni's Hot Sauce is so different, you must explain.

Sometimes it isn't specifically the food that makes your experience special, but the LOCATION (even if it's under a make-shift tent) where you eat it! Perhaps the magical beauty of being on the North Shore of Oahu, enjoying a plateful of Garlic butter Shrimp with Hot Sauce, was just that much better because where you were at. Not necessarily because of the sauce itself.

Just a thought.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post

...and from reading through them, while I haven't been to Giovanni's myself, it sounds basically like a garlic butter sauce, perhaps with the addition of a hot sauce (which there's TONS of brands out there) as an option.
                    I consider myself both a hot sauce and spicy food connoisseur. I'm really picky about which hot sauces I use with what foods, if given a choice.

I'm not sure if it's the same, because lately it seems the shrimp isn't as spicy as it used to be (but still very tasty--and I recently tested several shrimp trucks and still consider Giovanni's the best), but I do recall the guy who used to be at the truck a few years back saying that they import a special hot pepper from Africa to use in their spicy shrimp sauce. That's why when they run out, they run out. Whenever possible, I call in advance to the shrimp truck to find out if they still have the spicy available, otherwise I refuse to eat there.

Comment

Years ago, when they first opened and I tried their HOT and SPICY shrimp I asked about the sauce, because it is different from all the other hot sauces I have ever had(and I have a collection of over 200). He told me it was a recipe from Ethiopia that his wife brought over. Other than that he would tell me nada. Chuck.

Comment

Years ago, when they first opened and I tried their HOT and SPICY shrimp I asked about the sauce, because it is different from all the other hot sauces I have ever had(and I have a collection of over 200). He told me it was a recipe from Ethiopia that his wife brought over. Other than that he would tell me nada. Chuck.
                        Have you ever actually tried duplicating Giovanni's Spicy Shrimp at home using one of your 200 sauces? While it might not be exactly the same, I'm sure they'd each and every one (which you've probably carefully scrutinized when purchasing/receiving them) would have something to give to the party.

O.K., so the recipe is from Ethiopia, so I'm guessing there's additional seasonings added that make it different. Like say Turmeric? Paprika? Gotta' be something like that. What signature flavor do you detect besides chili pepper? Is it acidic (vinegar)? Sweet? Savory? Smokey? And how about the texture of the sauce. Is thick? Thin? chunky? Smooth?

Man, now you got me totally curious about Giovanni's. I'm gonna' have to put a North Shore drive on my agenda this weekend! All $3.67/gallon of it. lol

As per AC's recommendation, I'll call in advance.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Have I ever tried to duplicate it? No, maybe because I don't want to "bust" the mystique. However, recently, I have found anther sauce that is as good for shrimp. It is by The Garlic Lady (wwwdotgarliclady.com). It is actually a bloody mary mix called Thai Hot Bloody Mary Mix. It is very thick and works very well. Chuck.
                          Last edited by Hueneme; May 9, 2008, 10:10 AM.

Comment

It is by The Garlic Lady (wwwdotgarliclady.com). It is actually a bloody mary mix called Thai Hot Bloody Mary Mix. It is very thick and works very well. Chuck.
                            Mmmmm. Now THAT sounds fantastic! Shrimp marinaded in V-8 + said-hot sauce, then sauteed with garlic butter. Oh yeah!
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                            X