Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gardening in Hawai'i Kai

aloha
    I was wondering what kind of plants are good to garden with in Hawai'i Kai. So far, I've heard that Russian sage is good, but how about climbing bougainvilleas? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Re: gardening in Hawai'i Kai

Years ago I bought a home in Hawaii Kai that had been vacant for a few years. Whatta mess...which is what attracted me to it! There was a bougainvillea hedge along the back property line that was dead as a door nail; brown and lifeless. The only water it received between residents was from the sky.

While cleaning up the back yard, getting it ready to landscape and build a deck, the area was hosed down several times. That bougainvillea started to come back to life and in a fairly short time became a beautiful hedge which I kept trimmed to the height of the fence.

ymmv...

Comment

Originally posted by rosiev View Post
      but how about climbing bougainvilleas? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
      Bougainvillea, a native of South America from Brazil to Argentina, should do well in your garden given direct sun and proper fertilization.

For other plant selections, hye thee down to the local nursery to see what they have.

Ofa 'Atu
      Mui Houma
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

aloha
        I was wondering what kind of plants are good to garden with in Hawai'i Kai. So far, I've heard that Russian sage is good, but how about climbing bougainvilleas? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
        We live in Hawaii Kai. We have giant agave, Leia, raffis, lily of the Nile and bougainvilleas. I have a fairly nice sized yard, but not big enough for climbing species. However, I know we have some and we just trim them down. We also have a Meyer Lemon, an avocado, a couple of kafir limes, a baer lime, lots of chili pepper plants, Japanese eggplant, cherry tomatoes, basil, parsleys, mints, lavenders and rosemaries. The last two we keep in the shade. It helps to have an automatic sprinkler system. Instead of a lawn we have grass growing around pavers, and an overgrown Japanese riverbed in our side and front yards. We hope to turn the side yard into a lawn that's easy to walk in for the girls and roll around on for the cats.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

aloha
          Hawaii Kai tends to be on the dry side. Get on down to a Home Depot and check out their garden section for indemic (?) plants of Hawai'i. Many are drought resistent.
          Just a thought. I think many of these plants might be considered weeds. Hey, pear cactus. Fruit is good and you can use the "leaves" in stir fry.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions - I'm so excited about planting now BTW, what kind of grass do you suggest thrives in Hawai'i Kai? Thanks everyone for the quick and detailed suggestions!!! Aloha!

Comment

Working...
            X