Bike Pedal Assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Pedal Assembly

Nevermind. I need to buy a crank extractor.
    Last edited by Da Rolling Eye; May 9, 2008, 08:00 PM.

Re: Bike Pedal Assembly

Hammer and screwdriver is about as far as I go....if it can't be done with that, I hit it harder with the hammer. That's when I get hurt and yell.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
      Hammer and screwdriver is about as far as I go....if it can't be done with that, I hit it harder with the hammer. That's when I get hurt and yell.
      Man, I wish it were as simple as a hammer and screwdriver.

Comment

There's always something to buy, huh...Are there any rental places that could lend you the tool? Some places we've lived you could rent specialty tools and equipment.

Comment

If they have it, the Ace Hardware on Kilani in Wahiawa rents some tools; I can't seem to see a list of what they rent, but it's worth a try. Good Luck!! Maybe they have it--

New information: Well, forget Ace, prolly not. I learned some more at
          http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in...p/t-87803.html

Ye olde bike shop....they shall have thine crankset remover and perchance they could share it with thee for a small price.
          Last edited by cyleet99; May 9, 2008, 10:38 PM. Reason: new info

Comment

What you need is a spanner wrench, but I simply use the screwdriver + Hammer approach and tap the bearing chase nut loose. When you tighten however don't overdo it as it will apply too much pressure against the bearing race.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Thank you, sirs. I'll be calling the closest bike shop, Bike Werks in Mililani, to see if they have what I need before I go down. According to what I've been reading, it shouldn't cost more than $20 on the high side. I need some other tools as well anyway.

I'm just hoping the crankset from the newer bike fits the old bike. I really like my old Fuji bike frame and size a lot and don't want to have to give it up. I'm planning on salvaging all the Shimano parts from the new bike to use on my wife's bike, then just sell the bare frame on CL.

Comment

The crank asembly is typicaly proprietary to the bike although there are some that can be interchanged. The most important mesh point is where the main bearings on either side of the hub come in contact with the crank axle assembly. On some assemblies you just have one gland nut that holds the crank assembly onto the hub and supports the bearing race. On other assemblies, there are two gland nuts so they are double-nutted. That way the nut that supports the bearings cannot be loosened too much where the crank assembly can wobble on it's axis point.

If you're getting that particular tool, another one to get is the rear gear cog remover. It's a spline wrench that is used to remove that rear gear cluster. It's always a good idea to take that off an periodically clean out that ratchet.

Another simple but important tool to get is the spoke tensioner tool to keep your rim straight and even.

When I used to ride my Bianchi I also inserted these Kevlar bands inside the tires. These bands protected the tube from punctures (except side punctures). Riding along Paki street next to the Honolulu Zoo you occasionally would run over Keawe wood with those nasty thorns. One inch wide high pressure touring tires never lasted long along that stretch of road and keeping a small bike pump, patch kit and a basic set of tools was a must in my seat pouch.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                X