Lost Messages - Post & Edit Timeouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Messages - Post & Edit Timeouts

Replys are all too often not put on the board.

It varies slightly in ways to twart posting, but the end result is the same, NO.
    No matter how you manage to find ways to trick it into success.

To type it all out and then have the site not accept it is a real pisser, especially after a 'not that long' but thoughtful post, time after time after time. No always, but way to often.

Who wants to waste X amount of time/thot for it just to be rejected?

Can't this be resolved?
    This site has it happen way more than any other I've encountered.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Why is this site SO user un-friendly?

Please clarify...are you saying that once you compose your message and hit the "submit reply" button, the site stalls and nothing happens? Or, once you hit "submit reply" it appears your post has gone thru but, then, you never see it again?

I've had the former happen a few times when HT's server on the mainland went all wonky. When I see that happening I do a quick "copy" of what I've written, paste it into a word processing or notes doc then repost once the server is up and running again. I've never had the latter happen.

The only thing I find "user un-friendly" about HT is something that's started occurring recently. It used to keep track of the threads I'd read during a given online session. Now I have to take a couple of extra steps to see the results. Still, in life's big picture, it's hardly worth a mention!

Comment

It doesn't stall, or appear and then disappear, but sometimes kicks up the 'log in' page and then it may post, or not, after re-logging in.
      Or, I get 'the server is too busy' page, nullifying my post, or whatever else the cosmos has up it's sleeve for that day...

Sorry to not be fully clear, but frustration tends to overide clarity at these moments.

I'd like to do the pertainent pasting you mentioned, but I'm lucky to know just how to simply type and get into a site.

Overall, I too enjoy the site, which is why I get burned up when taking time to be a useful participant to have it all be for double naught.

It's been a bug up my rump since day one, with so-so replys to my Qs to the 'help' Dept.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
        To type it all out and then have the site not accept it is a real pisser
        Yeah, that is pretty frustrating, Ron. You put a lot of work into your post, to get the wording just right, and then it gets gobbled up by the Internet crocodiles. You're too tired and demoralized to retype it again.

It's not an ideal solution, but people can try typing their replies in a word processor, save it locally on their computer, and then cut-n-paste. I have so much fun writing posts, I compose my mines in gmail and send them to myself, as a form of archiving.

But yes, it's more natural for people to write their replies directly on the forum web page. Unfortunately hosting a website takes time, energy, and $$$. Our admins volunteer their time and resources to provide us this gathering place, free of charge and free of annoying pop-up adds. The hardware is probably not cutting edge, but it's cheap (i.e. free).

I don't want want to speak for the admins, but some sites accept donations to help pay for upgrades. Of course this demands more logistical work from our admins who are busy with their real life obligations. It can also open a can of political worms. Nothing is nastier than a PTA who squabbles over how to use the funds from a benefit chili drive. Huli huli chicken destroys aloha!

I've heard of web sites who provide turn key solutions to managing donations. As a community we can help our admins by doing a lot of the leg work by researching these options. Organizations need people to point out problems, but your "bosses" will love you if you provide a selection of solutions in addition to the problem.

(sorry for any poor grammer. didn't sleep very well last night. my foot was killling me and my neighbor was seducing a bunch of giggling ladies with loud karaoke singing. he sang rather well, but not at freaking 2AM!)
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
        "
        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
          It doesn't stall, or appear and then disappear, but sometimes kicks up the 'log in' page and then it may post, or not, after re-logging in.
          Or, I get 'the server is too busy' page, nullifying my post, or whatever else the cosmos has up it's sleeve for that day...
          [...]
          I'd like to do the pertainent pasting you mentioned, but I'm lucky to know just how to simply type and get into a site.
          If you use a Mac, PM me. If you use a PC, someone else will need to help you. Regardless, it's very simple. How do I know? I can do it!

I've not ever had the problems you're having. Have you tried contacting the admin.?

Comment

Ron can I assume that when enter HawaiiThreads you need to enter your username and password each time. If so I take it you do not click on the box "Remember me"?

Comment

I sort of agree with Ron. But I would not describe the site as "user-un-friendly" as much as I would say "twitchy". I have had posts disappear myself. But in my experience, I have learned to accept the reality that if I spend more than 5 minutes on ANY composition, it needs to be saved. That includes word procs, excels, videos, whatever. I've been burnt too many times.

Comment

I don't believe I've ever experienced the issues* Ron brought up, and I've had (as the numbers will embarassingly show) many, many posts on HT.

* on HT; it's happened to me on other boards, so I understand the frustration.

Comment

Originally posted by DNR55 View Post
                  I sort of agree with Ron. But I would not describe the site as "user-un-friendly" as much as I would say "twitchy". I have had posts disappear myself. But in my experience, I have learned to accept the reality that if I spend more than 5 minutes on ANY composition, it needs to be saved. That includes word procs, excels, videos, whatever. I've been burnt too many times.
                  I think that the length of time writing a post has to do with the cause of this problem. Fooled me twice, so now I copy any post that takes longer than expected, and just paste what I wrote after I log in again and then submit reply. Those posters who write long posts would probably know what causes this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                    [...]Those posters who write long posts would probably know what causes this problem.
                    While I've written my share of long posts, I still haven't experienced the problem. AAMOF, I've started a reply, been called out of the office for an unexpected meeting, returned a few hours later and picked up writing where I left off without having exited HT and, with no glitches!

Wish I could help, but I can't. Helen's "remember me" suggestion is a good place to start. Hmmm...what about trying another browser to see if the problem repeats itself?

Comment

Frankly, if any site frustrates you, I'd just not bother with it!

I sometimes get the "please login" box when I click to submit a reply. For me, at least, when I enter my username and password in that box and login as instructed, the post I thought I'd submitted gets submitted at that point. I've definitely had better luck doing than then trying to click "back" and losing everything entirely.

But whether on this forum or another system, whenever I'm composing something long and thoughtful, the last step I take before clicking submit is hitting CTRL-A and CTRL-C -- select all, and copy. Then, worst case scenario, if the post is lost, I just log in again, and just paste everything back in to post it.

Comment

Another strategy to use, if you're writing something very long and/or brain-busting, is to compose it in using your OS' text editor (Text Edit, Note Pad, etc.) where you can safely SAVE it. When you're happy with what you wrote, simply copy and paste it to HT.

Sometimes I think Scrivener does that. His posts are always way too flawless to have been composed directly on HT.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Ha! it just happened to me while I was trying to post this!
                          Has happened a few times before, but it always seems to happen when I try to post some profound soliloquy. Best to copy and save til posted, for sure.
                          I haven't had to log in with my username and password for over a month. Does that reflect to everyone else that I am always 'on'? I simply close the window when I'm done checking out HT, and when I come back, I pull it up from my favorites list. No problem.
                          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

You folks apparently missed the discussion, right after the last upgrade, of vBulletin's new "seriousness detector" feature. vB has a blacklist of words that frequently pop up in posts that are too serious. If you hit SUBMIT and the seriousness detector finds too may of the blacklisted words, you get the little runaround. You can still post your message, but the software makes it more difficult for you.

This is why I've never had this problem.
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I experienced timeout issues while using HawaiiThreads when the "Remember Me?" box is unchecked. I would have to enter my username and password when I took a long time composing a post. You can get around this by doing one of the following:

1) Check on the "Remember Me?" box at the login prompt.
                              2) Click on Preview Post once every five minutes or so.
                              3) Open another browser window to HawaiiThreads and every so often click on something.

Comment

Working...
                              X