Hawaii Threads: The Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Threads: The Book

Upon reading the thread, Weird, Hawaii: Looking for Submissions!, and seeing PZ's link to HT's very own Obake Files and Haunted Places in Hawaii, a thought came to mind...

If HT were to publish a printed book based on interesting stories and posts by the members of this discussion board, which particular threads and/or posts do you think should or would be best to include in it?

It could be anything from a long-winded argument about a news topic or local radio/tv personality (ehem!), to interesting personal stories, as is the case in the Obake files thread.

Photography-wise, at least one or two of Likanui's fantastic sailboat shots gotta' get in there. Same for Jim75 and a few other great shutterbugs we have here. Also PZ's "Honolulu Zoom" game must make it in there.

Whaddya' think?
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Hawaii Threads: The Book

Wow! I was thinking somewhat along the same lines as you, Pomai. Last night I reread part of the thread addressing the crane that hit the Aiea overpass, bringing all of Oahu to it's knees; Sept. 06. It was a fascinating read and I thought a fun thread might be..."What's Your Favorite Thread?". So, for the time being, that history making event thread would be near the top of my list.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      It could be anything from a long-winded argument about a news topic or local radio/tv personality (ehem!)
      If you mean who I think you mean, that would be a small chapter. You know. A very Tiny chapter.

Photography-wise, at least one or two of Likanui's fantastic sailboat shots gotta' get in there. Same for Jim75 and a few other great shutterbugs we have here.
      WOW. I'm honored to be even considered along with Jim and TattRat and Mel and some of the other great shooters!
      (Momentary thread drift: In about two weeks there'll be some new sailing photos that are like nothing else done here yet. A little adventure on something very special. I'm excited!)

As for the HT Book, the very first thing that comes to mind is that incredible post that SusieMisajon wrote a couple of months back about growing up on the north shore. I don't remember which thread (hopefully someone does and can post a link), but I think it was the single best post ever written on HT.
      The threads about Auntie Lynn & Blaine's Slippah Fund projects rank right up there on my Favorites list too.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I'll add cynsaligia's restaurant and menu reviews! Come to think of it, there's too much for just one book. HT is worthy of a collection...Hawaii events, food, humor, moving to Hawaii tips, you name it!

An HT member sent me a link to blurb.com. HT coffee table style books are definitely a possibility!
        Last edited by tutusue; May 17, 2008, 09:08 PM. Reason: major typo in cyn's name!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          The threads about Auntie Lynn & Blaine's Slippah Fund projects rank right up there on my Favorites list too.
          Absolutely that!

I just designed a possible book cover for it....

Jim75's beautiful dolphin photo can actually represent a number of things. From being in Hawaii, to being a family, to being playful, to being intelligent. Most of which covers the various personalities that makes up what makes HT such a great place.
          Last edited by Pomai; May 17, 2008, 09:25 PM.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

One word: GORGEOUS!!!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Oooooh...I'm seeing a possible fundraiser for admin!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post

As for the HT Book, the very first thing that comes to mind is that incredible post that SusieMisajon wrote a couple of months back about growing up on the north shore. I don't remember which thread (hopefully someone does and can post a link), but I think it was the single best post ever written on HT.
                http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=14796

Homesickness brings out the poet in me, I guess.
                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

"As told by the people of Hawaii," eh?

Whew! Guess I'm safe from being included - that's a relief.

Comment

Amazing Pomai!!! Very cool!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      "As told by the people of Hawaii," eh?

Whew! Guess I'm safe from being included - that's a relief.
                      "As told by the people of Hawaii" was the first thing that came to mind while thinking up the design, but surely that needs tweaking. How about...

I dunno'. Ryan can brainstorm that part.

So Leo, when are you and the Alpha gonna' finally "bite the bullet" and move back HOME (as in Kaneohe)? You KNOW ya' wanna! Leo, this really is where you, of all people, SHOULD BE!

Thanks 'all for the comps on the cover design. No biggy. It took just a few minutes to whip up. One thing I notice is, usually the first idea that comes to mind turns out the best. This was that. The moment I first laid eyes on Jim's awesome dolphin photo, I knew it was something special. Regardless of what Ryan thinks, that is THE cover photo!

As for profit from sales of the book, I'd suggest half go to Ryan, and the other half go to a designated Hawaii charity.
                      Last edited by Pomai; May 18, 2008, 08:02 AM.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

So Leo, when are you and the Alpha gonna' finally "bite the bullet" and move back HOME (as in Kaneohe)? You KNOW ya' wanna! Leo, this really is where you, of all people, SHOULD BE!
                        Oh, of course we wanna - someday, when the time is right. The AF is an only child, so when the day comes that her parents (retired, active, mid-60s, in very good health at present) need her to be back to care for them, we will be there. Knowing this would happen someday was a primary motivator for me to start learning about the place I would hope to be, so I would arrive as something other than "yet another ignorant mainland haole."

As for the book subtitle, I was sorta joking. I think the original was just fine. But honestly - while I enjoy participating in cyberspace discussions, I'm not so sure I want them immortalized in book form. I'm curious to hear Ryan's take - might there be issues with getting the rights to use our postings? Sure, the material is probably considered "property of" the website - but it could be argued that such a "contract" with a contributor to the site was never meant to include any other medium.

I like the charitable aspect - but I don't like the idea that Ryan could get in any legal trouble for it.

Comment

I like the charitable aspect - but I don't like the idea that Ryan could get in any legal trouble for it.
                          I totally realize that. This is actually just a fantastical, pie-in-the-sky idea, and not intended to move anywhere beyond that.

I can just see Kimo55 turning in his sleep after he sees posts he made 3 years ago "immortalized" at Borders, Waldenbooks, or even better yet, Costco Hawaii Kai. lol!
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I just designed a possible book cover for it...
                            Nice photoshop skillz, Pomai!

Nothing like a good visual, to inspire people's imaginations.
                            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                            "
                            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Good point, Leo. Ryan could start collecting releases from the people whose writing ends up in the book. Of course that would require a lot of work, and it might be problematic for HT'ers who wish to remain anonymous. Not to mention legal expenses to pay for a lawyer experienced in this online stuff.

Still glad Pomai has planted this seed in our minds. Things might come together to make the book a reality.
                              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                              "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                              "
                              Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Working...
                              X