Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bugs

Do we have fireflies in Hawaii?

Also, do lizards eat ants? I was wondering, because our patio seems to have a lot of both.
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Re: Bugs

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
    Do we have fireflies in Hawaii?

Also, do lizards eat ants? I was wondering, because our patio seems to have a lot of both.
    My Pest Control Inspector said No fireflies in Hawaii.

And yes, lizards eat ants.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Around the months of May and June we have termite swarming season. I think this is the time in the early evening when millions of new female and male winged termites seek each other out... and once they find each other.... well if they settle into your house, you may have big expensive trouble coming.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Do we have lizards in Hawaii?

Ants are usually free from most predators because they taste nastier than other more yummy bugs.

I've always felt Hawaii would be the idylic setting for fireflies. A very rare site in my lifetime.
        Last edited by Ron Whitfield; May 20, 2008, 06:31 AM.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

The geckos at my house seem to prefer eating flying bugs instead of ants. Spiders are my preferred method of getting rid of ants. They are very efficient and don't use any chemicals. I would rather have one spider minding its own business in the corner than a hundred ants swarming the place.

Comment

I was on Maui this morning and afternoon, in Lahaina and I saw a gigantic Dragonfly. Do they exist on Oahu ? In Honolulu? Can't recall seeing one.

Also, a tiny black 'pincher' type bug hitched a ride in my bag coming back. I discovered him in my FOOD that I brought back from seminar while at Kahului AP. So he didn't make it all the way back to Oahu..
            n'importe

Comment

I have seen dragonflies on Kauai, but I never seem them in urban Oahu.

Comment

"termite swarming season"?!

Aaaaack! I am definately doing a complete 'spraydown' tomorrow of the entire perimerer of my place!! With RaidMax!!

The ants here in my tiny yard have swarmed twice here over the past two weeks. It's 'bugging' me. (teehee) But I refuse to kill innocent animals, even bugs, so I've just left them alone. Still, its kinda icky! Get to work, lizards!! Feast!

Finally got them to leave the kitchen alone. Victory!

No fireflies hm? Bummer. Haven't seen any dragonflies, either, which is okay with me. Used to have tons of them in FL. They always end up flying into my hair!
                ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Re: Termites

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                  "termite swarming season"?!

Aaaaack! I am definately doing a complete 'spraydown' tomorrow of the entire perimerer of my place!! With RaidMax!!

The ants here in my tiny yard have swarmed twice here over the past two weeks. It's 'bugging' me. (teehee) But I refuse to kill innocent animals, even bugs, so I've just left them alone. Still, its kinda icky! Get to work, lizards!! Feast!

Finally got them to leave the kitchen alone. Victory!

No fireflies hm? Bummer. Haven't seen any dragonflies, either, which is okay with me. Used to have tons of them in FL. They always end up flying into my hair!
                  ===================================
                  Raidmax? I thought you refuse to kill innocent animals?

If you get termite swarms, place a strong light over a foil pan of water. The termites are attracted to the light, get toasted, and fall into the water. Or they are attracted to the reflection of the light in the pan and fly into the water and drown. It's a lose-lose situation for the termites. Obviously, that trap needs to be the only light source in your area to be effective so turn off your other lights so they only see the "bait".

There is no way even an army of geckos are going to control a termite swarm. The termites are airborne and geckos are ground troops.

From a PETA point of view, you are not killing innocent bugs. You are being "at one with nature" and providing animals a cool drink of water and turning on a light so they can find it.

Comment

Re: Termites

i don't know about fireflies in hawai'i? but, i'm pretty sure that i've seen a dragonfly or two.

"The ants here in my tiny yard have swarmed twice here over the past two weeks. It's 'bugging' me. (teehee) But I refuse to kill innocent animals, even bugs, so I've just left them alone. Still, its kinda icky! Get to work, lizards!! Feast!"

adopt an anteater?
                    "chaos reigns within.
                    reflect, repent and reboot.
                    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Termites were swarming last night, these conditions are perfect for the little bas-----ds. We have lots and lots of dragonflys for some reason they love]
                      to fly over the pool and skim the water, this I don't understand but they are
                      always around.

Putting vaseline on the foil helps too as it makes it hard for them to crawl out.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                        Termites were swarming last night, these conditions are perfect for the little bas-----ds. We have lots and lots of dragonflys for some reason they love]
                        to fly over the pool and skim the water, this I don't understand but they are
                        always around.

Putting vaseline on the foil helps too as it makes it hard for them to crawl out.
                        We covered Termites a bit here:
                        http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...light=Termites

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Sometimes I get geckos in my house and it scares the bejeezus out of my friends.

There was a baby gecko in my room for a while and it liked to hang out by my A/C, probably because it liked to lick the condensation water that used to drip from it.

I ended up putting small saucer of water in the corner of my bedroom. I caught it sneaking a drink in once a while.

Geckos are our friends! Any creature that takes care of my bug problem is a friend of mine!
                          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                          We're not here to mess around
                          Boston, you know we love you madly
                          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                          You know we couldn't live without you
                          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

You're outta here!

I felt benevelent to geckos as well, until they started crapping on and ruining my favorite pictures. Got me a can of 'Gecko Must Go'.
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Help! Big black bugs on my orange tree!

I just bought a house in Pearl City,

there is a great orange tree the back yard, but I have been finding this big black bugs - they look like a beetle or black bee that are burrowing into the oranges. Does anyone know what they are and how best to combat them?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X